“Amazing All-Inclusive”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 May 2010

My wife and I have been to this resort twice and we plan to go again this summer. I cannot say enough positive things about this resort. We made friends with the staff the first time and they remembered us when we came back five months later. Alfonso, one of the bartenders who we met on our first trip went out of his way many times to make sure that we were always happy, and had drink in hand, even if he was working on the other side of the resort. Marcos, a bellboy, met me once and remembered my name the rest of the trip! Other people that made our stay exceptional are Antonio, a server at the mexican restaurant, and Francisco at the PURE bar (thanks for the Spanish lessons). ALL the workers at the Tapas restaurant went above and beyond our expectations.

The food quality at any of the restaurants is five star. The Tapas restaurant rivals the best places in Denver. Even the buffets never left us unsatisfied. After two visits, neither of us have gotten sick once! (Except for too much tequila on new years eve.)

The fitness center offers spin classes if you are into that. Adrian, the instructor is motivating and histerical. We tried to bribe him to come home with us.

We recommend this resort to ANYONE looking to vacation in Mexico. The staff not only is friendly but seems happy and proud to work for this resort and that provides such a unique relaxing experience.

We have had two UNBEATABLE trips here and we look forward to our next!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Riviera Maya

Reviewed 12 May 2010

I've been looking on Tripadvisor since January and found it very helpful with every detail needed for my trip, I recommend reading the forums to get a better idea of this hotel and destination.

I loved our trip! This hotel was great, it wasn't as romantic as I would have hoped just in the fact that it never felt "secluded". There were always kids somewhere (which I know what people will think, stay at an adult only then if that's what your looking for but it wasn't a huge issue, just want to point it out).

I'll start with the airport, it is a circus so be prepared. We just kept walking once done with customs and until we were outside. Found our van (USA Transfers) with no issue. They were amazing.

Once we arrived at the hotel it was a bit crazy checking in, the front desk person who checked us in was very helpful and we got our room right away. I emailed the hotel two weeks prior requesting an upper floor and got that so it was a nice touch. I booked through expedia and went with the suite, it was worth it to me. We enjoyed the tub and also having the sitting area to relax after being out in the heat was nice. The balconies are not very private, which I knew from reading the forums but just in case you aren't aware. The maids and fridge restocker were amazing, I left a note in our fridge everyday with a tip since I don't drink pop (soda) and requested water and beer only. Never was an issue. I also tipped the maid each day, they work hard to keep the rooms so nice.

The service at this hotel is outstanding! I have nothing to compare it to being it was my first all inclusive but I can't imagine another hotel beating it.

The food at the buffets was ok, I knew going in that the food was not highly recommended and I am not picky but it was hard some days/nights to find something I'd enjoy fully. The snack bar was ok, the hotdogs were good. The ala cartes were great, we ate at the Japanese, the Mexican and the Italian. The Italian was by far my favorite! It was so delicious. The Mexican and Japanese reminded me of places in Chicago so nothing too exciting. We also ate at the Tapas restaurant as well, which was amazing and very unique. The crepe place was nice but really hot when we went but delicious ice cream.

The spa is beautiful and I recommend visiting it to relax, we didn't do any treatments which I regret but time just got the best of us.

The beach is rocky, I was very apprehensive reading the negative reviews about the beach but they are true. We both got cut by rocks brought up from waves. I was disappointed since I read that you can just walk over to a different spot with no rocks, but I didn't see anywhere where they wouldn't wash up on you. The lagoon was a nice alternative but I wanted to be in the ocean. We brought snorkel gear and didn't use them once. The pools were great, we were in them more then anything. Chairs were never a problem to find and we usually would leave our stuff and go in the pool.

We enjoyed the disco a couple of times, which was fun and I'd recommend going at least once. The bars were all good, especially the one on the beach. It was by far my favorite, Francisco was amazing!

Overall it was a good stay, I'd go back with a group of friends, which we met many new ones and already thinking of a 2011 trip :) If your looking for a fun, affordable place to stay then this could be for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elizatish
Reviewed 11 May 2010

All in all we had a good time let me start the review with the airport. as soon as you get off the plane be prepared to wait in a very very long line to get your passport book stamped. we waited in line over an hour. so many people. okay, next the weather. not one drop of rain. at least 90 degrees every day. full humidity. we took olympus tours to the resort. drive was about 1 1/2 hours. went by fast. hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful. we did not get pressured to upgrade our room because they were completely booked. i saw the upgraded rooms, and really the only thing more you get is hot tub on deck if you are on ground floor. sorry in 90 degree heat i dont need one. first night our airconditioner in our room caught fire and the whole room filled with smoke. had to move my family to another room. pain in the but, but easy. we were given an even better room with a better ocean view. i couldnt have asked for more. they also gave us more tickets for dinner and a pass to the spa. one thing i will say is tip people. these people work for next to nothing and yes you did pay for your food but not the service. we tipped everyone and they appreciated it. almost all of our money was spent on tips and im talking hundreds of dollars. they make cute towel animals and leave them on ur bed when they clean. rooms very spacious and clean. beautiful shower with rain shower head. stocked fridge. if you need ANYTHING just call front desk and you'll get it. internet worked fine. i will say food was average at best. if you are a foodie, dont go here. the buffet for lunch was gross. buffet for breakfast was better. french toast really good. plaintains good. coffee okay. the japaneese place really good. mexican okay. the italian place sucked. DRINKS ARE PLENTIFUL AND EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK. not big, but just get another or bring your own cup. a lot of canadians nice people. there was an incident where some guy got naked in the pool and there were lots of children around including my 5 year old daughter. my husband almost killed him. security is like a joke there. they really didnt do anything. my opinion is if you wanted to get naked go to cancun,. or a couples only resort. we swam with dolphins which was nice., went down to the marina for dinner one night (reasonably priced) 10 minutes walking distance. you can eat right next to the water with dolphins jumping all around you. beach was very rocky. not really the type to lay out on. water very warm everywhere. in the pools, lagoon, and ocean. WEAR SUNBLOCK THERE WERE SO MANY BURNT SUFFERING PEOPLE. all in all good experience. next time i'll go somewhere the food is better.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Upon arrival at the Catalonia Riviera Maya we receeved a yummy beverage and that was a sign of a great vacation ahead. Check-in was very quick and easy (though the resort was obviously full). We were given a brief explanation of inclusions in the trip and an overview of the map which was helpful. We had booked one of the suites (deluxe room) and were not disappointed at all. IT WAS HUGE!! The room and resort were among the cleanest I have ever stayed. The pools were very nice and had two swim-up bars. We found the buffets to be good considering they are a buffet (you can't expect gourmet food in bulk). We enjooyed all of the a la carte restaurants, but the Japenese was our favorite! The beach is definitely smaller and rocky, but we hung out at the pool mostly and didn't mind. The staff and entertainment team at the Catalonia are the best bar none! They were so friendly and helpful all while keeping the guest comfortable and entertained each day and night. We cannot say enough good things about this resort! Go and see for yourselves!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RRedding725
Reviewed 8 May 2010

This was the first time my wife and I have traveled out of the country. The resort was unbelievably clean and all the staff was friendly and it was genuine not "put on" because it was their job. We especialy like Alfredo the front desk clerk, Joel and Luis in the Italian Restaurant, as well as Pilar who was with guest relations. The meals were really good, even the most picky eater like myself will have no problem finding something to eat. The only short comings of the resort were the shows they had were kind of basic and something my kids high school would put on, and the fact that my wife and I are beach walkers and there really was no beach to walk. My wife and I do plan on going back though

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glasberghead
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My best friend and I just got back from staying at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, All I can say is that I will be going back next year because it was one of the best vacation I have ever been on. Met some great people! The staff was so great, especially Gerardo, Luis, Candindo, Erika and Cindy. They all were in the Lobby bar most of our stay and spent most of the evenings enjoying their company. The staff working at the pool during the day was also a great time. They were very entertaining and made me laugh so much watching them. They made everyone feel so welcome. The food was great, the grounds were emaculate. I don't have one complaint about the place. I wish they were closer to the airport since it takes about an hour and half to get there but that will not stop me from going back. Already planning next years trip!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jah1213
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is our third trip to The Catalonia and it just keeps getting better. Now they have added another restaurant, Tapas. Quite different and very enjoyable. They have added a beautiful gym and spa which helps when trying to justify all the eating and drinking.
The service continues to amaze in all circumstances.
This is a rather brief review in that most of the information about this resort has been mentioned time and again.
For your time and money the Catalonia cannot be beat. We are already looking forward to our next visit to This wonderful resort.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!