“HONEST UK TRAVEL AGENT REVIEW”

Catalonia Riviera Maya
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Me and my partner travelled to the cat in Sep/Oct 2009 as a last minute 1 week getaway. As a travel agent for one of the biggest tour operators on the high street i am an extremely fussy customer!!

What a fab hotel and holiday it was!!

The only thing i would point out is the rooms, i would highly recommend to upgrade to the superior when you arrive as it is totally worth the money and made the hotel a definate 5* instead of the 4* status it currently has. For the extra $15 per night you got a whole range of extra goodies including free mini bar topped up everyday with beers, water, soft drinks. Free use of the safety deposit box, rainforest shower, modern decor, great balcony furniture, flat screen tv and the biggest bed i have seen in my life!! The cleanliness was outstanding.
We ordered room service of champagne and strawberries one night and they actually gave us this complimentary when we came to pay the bill at the end of the stay!!

The buffet restaurants, a la carte restaurants and poolside bar drinks were definately 5* quality. We tried the italian, japanese and mexican a la cartes and they were all fantastic, better than any of the specialty restaurants i have been to in the UK. The food at the buffet was fresh and there was a wide range to choice from so it never got boring. The chef cooked whatever fresh morning egg dish you wanted and any types of meat and pasta on an evening all done to order for you. The bars were brilliant and were not shy in the amount of alcohol they put in your drink, most alcohol was branded so you knew you was getting quality.

We made full use of the free kayak and scuba hire equipment. Which was a lovely little extra, you didnt need to go far to see the beautiful tropical fish. The beach was nice and quiet and everything you need, i wouldnt feel it neccesary to buy sea shoes as the rocks and stones are only for the first 50 metres into the sea.

The pools were brilliant, but we did tend to use the quieter pool. And for the whole trip we must of seen only a handful of well behaved children which was a bonus! But when they did pass with the childrens team they seemed to be having fun and were well taking care of.

The walk down to the mariner was lovely and we did have a royal swim with the dolphins which was great.

We did give a couple of dollar tips for the bar staff/cleaner everyday as the service was no short of fantastic and they truly deserved it.

Overall i would highly recommend this hotel if in doubt just BOOK BOOK BOOK, you wont be disappointed!! I would recommend it to any customer that came into our shop.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelagent30
Write a ReviewReviews (9,731)

Reviewed 14 May 2010

Pros:
+Beach
+Sports activities (free equipment)
+Friendly and very helpful staff
+Good food
+Clean room
+Hotel with a twist
+Entertainment
+Easy access to local transport to travel to other places
+Good location

We stayed for two weeks, travelled to ancient cities/temples/villages, etc and really enjoyed our holiday.

Cons:
-None

Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I've been to a few hotels and countries over the past several years and this is by far the best that we've had .
I could not fault any area of the hotel ,its food ,accomodation everything was first class.The staff were by far the most friendy i've ever come accross.
In my book its worth 5 star plus,well done hote Catalonia

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank raybush
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We had always stayed in Cozumel, so this was our first trip to the Riviera Maya. This hotel was really a good value. There were 7 or 8 restaurants, and the Tapas restaurant was excellent. The buffet had the usual all-inclusive fare. Short 5-10 minute walk to marina and great dive shop we used (Mike Doody at Dive Aventuras). Wouldn't recommend the dive shop at the hotel. Also, the swim with the dolphins/manatees/and sea lions was there, with shops and restaurants. Neat area. Hotel provides 2 free shuttles in large air conditioned buses to Playa del Carmen daily (more expensive hotels in the area charged a hefty fee). We had a bit of a problem with getting hot water in the shower/tub after diving in the early afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Our 3rd time at the CAT....just like the first 2, it was perfect. Good food, plenty of drink, great entertainment. They even had a beer drinking contest! Finally a sport suited to me!

We got a room on the ground floor, facing the ocean so we could sit on the patio every morning and watch the sunrise...then off to the beach for a couple of hours to relax....then into the pool bar for a few hours of good fun and refreshments...how can it get any better?

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DJB_JMB
Reviewed 12 May 2010

My wife and I have been to this resort twice and we plan to go again this summer. I cannot say enough positive things about this resort. We made friends with the staff the first time and they remembered us when we came back five months later. Alfonso, one of the bartenders who we met on our first trip went out of his way many times to make sure that we were always happy, and had drink in hand, even if he was working on the other side of the resort. Marcos, a bellboy, met me once and remembered my name the rest of the trip! Other people that made our stay exceptional are Antonio, a server at the mexican restaurant, and Francisco at the PURE bar (thanks for the Spanish lessons). ALL the workers at the Tapas restaurant went above and beyond our expectations.

The food quality at any of the restaurants is five star. The Tapas restaurant rivals the best places in Denver. Even the buffets never left us unsatisfied. After two visits, neither of us have gotten sick once! (Except for too much tequila on new years eve.)

The fitness center offers spin classes if you are into that. Adrian, the instructor is motivating and histerical. We tried to bribe him to come home with us.

We recommend this resort to ANYONE looking to vacation in Mexico. The staff not only is friendly but seems happy and proud to work for this resort and that provides such a unique relaxing experience.

We have had two UNBEATABLE trips here and we look forward to our next!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I've been looking on Tripadvisor since January and found it very helpful with every detail needed for my trip, I recommend reading the forums to get a better idea of this hotel and destination.

I loved our trip! This hotel was great, it wasn't as romantic as I would have hoped just in the fact that it never felt "secluded". There were always kids somewhere (which I know what people will think, stay at an adult only then if that's what your looking for but it wasn't a huge issue, just want to point it out).

I'll start with the airport, it is a circus so be prepared. We just kept walking once done with customs and until we were outside. Found our van (USA Transfers) with no issue. They were amazing.

Once we arrived at the hotel it was a bit crazy checking in, the front desk person who checked us in was very helpful and we got our room right away. I emailed the hotel two weeks prior requesting an upper floor and got that so it was a nice touch. I booked through expedia and went with the suite, it was worth it to me. We enjoyed the tub and also having the sitting area to relax after being out in the heat was nice. The balconies are not very private, which I knew from reading the forums but just in case you aren't aware. The maids and fridge restocker were amazing, I left a note in our fridge everyday with a tip since I don't drink pop (soda) and requested water and beer only. Never was an issue. I also tipped the maid each day, they work hard to keep the rooms so nice.

The service at this hotel is outstanding! I have nothing to compare it to being it was my first all inclusive but I can't imagine another hotel beating it.

The food at the buffets was ok, I knew going in that the food was not highly recommended and I am not picky but it was hard some days/nights to find something I'd enjoy fully. The snack bar was ok, the hotdogs were good. The ala cartes were great, we ate at the Japanese, the Mexican and the Italian. The Italian was by far my favorite! It was so delicious. The Mexican and Japanese reminded me of places in Chicago so nothing too exciting. We also ate at the Tapas restaurant as well, which was amazing and very unique. The crepe place was nice but really hot when we went but delicious ice cream.

The spa is beautiful and I recommend visiting it to relax, we didn't do any treatments which I regret but time just got the best of us.

The beach is rocky, I was very apprehensive reading the negative reviews about the beach but they are true. We both got cut by rocks brought up from waves. I was disappointed since I read that you can just walk over to a different spot with no rocks, but I didn't see anywhere where they wouldn't wash up on you. The lagoon was a nice alternative but I wanted to be in the ocean. We brought snorkel gear and didn't use them once. The pools were great, we were in them more then anything. Chairs were never a problem to find and we usually would leave our stuff and go in the pool.

We enjoyed the disco a couple of times, which was fun and I'd recommend going at least once. The bars were all good, especially the one on the beach. It was by far my favorite, Francisco was amazing!

Overall it was a good stay, I'd go back with a group of friends, which we met many new ones and already thinking of a 2011 trip :) If your looking for a fun, affordable place to stay then this could be for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!