32 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$180
Official websiteUS$199
PricelineUS$199
13,436 results
All reviews tapas fish snack bar privileged suite el mercado privileged guests gated community standard room japanese restaurant crepes pure chill out bar a la carte restaurants animation team steak lagoon area dolphin discovery the grill
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2019

It was ok. Not great but ok. Food and drinks could have been better and the spa needs a HOT Jacuzzi. The DJ in the club needs to learn to mix music so the type of music doesn't change drastically from one genre to another.

Date of stay: September 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank dsimball
Catalonia_Caribbean, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2019

Dear Denisse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. We regret to read that your experience did not meet your needs and expectations. I can assure you that the missteps mentioned have been addressed internally to ensure that they are not repeated, please accept my sincere apologies. We really hope you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2019 via mobile

I came here for two weeks with my sister.

The food in the hotel was of a good standard. A good selection at the various buffets and the a la carte restaurants were great. Rueben who served us in the Mexican restaurant and all the staff from the steakhouse were excellent! - big shout out to them, we went back to these restaurants twice!

Our room was clean and the aircon was good. Can’t complain, you get what you pay for. Our cleaner was also excellent and always left us a little towel animal which we loved.

I don’t think that the hotel treats the plants etc for mosquitos either as I got bitten so much on this holiday, which I have not experienced at other hotels I’ve stayed at in Mexico.

The only reason I did not give this hotel five stars is because of the way a certain member of the ‘Club Lookea’ entertainment team was towards us. The particular member of staff from this entertainment team continued to give me and my sister dirty looks at the pool every single day and was very rude! He also often did this in the abuelo bar at night. I’m not sure if it was because we were British and not French, but it made us feel very uncomfortable in the hotel as two females on holiday - be wary!

The actual Catalonia entertainment team in the green uniforms were lovely. I’m not sure why they have separate entertainment teams, especially when one team in particular treats others differently.

Finally I would like to highlight how well Roberto from the Tequila pool bar treated us throughout our whole stay!!! Always had a smile on his face. He is a fabulous member of staff, an absolute credit to this hotel and really brought our spirits up despite the rude treatment from the staff member mentioned above. Couldn’t recommend him enough!!

6  Thank Kezfoodtravel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. Before continuing I would like to offer an apology for the situation you describe, it is definitely not acceptable and of course we will convey your perception to the head of the external animation, the intention of having them at home is that they are the ambassadors of the guests who travel with this agency, guide them, assist and entertain but always respecting the free will of other guests, I really regret the experience. On the other hand, paying attention to what was good, thank you very much for your kind mentions, we love to know that there were also staff who with their commitment and service achieved a good memory, I will take the liberty of sharing with Ruben and Roberto, I'm sure they will feel motivated. Dear guest, I really appreciate your time and confidence, we hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning to the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 15 October 2019

So we visited the Catalonia Riveria Maya from the 3rd October to 13th October. I would definitely say if you have this hotel booked for October - November 2019 ask to change hotels as they have major construction going on atm as we unfortunately found out during the full 11 days of being there. Especially if you are paying to be "privileged" hotel guests it was even worse in that area. We found the whole experience a massive disapointment. We were woken up at 9am to banging on the wall from the room that joined and below as they were carrying out maintenance. They had building works on the tapas bar, privileged suits the normal suits and you could hear it from anywhere in the hotel complex, even when sat by the pool. Also there was this really hideous yellow and black precautionary tape wrapped around the pool area where there was meant to be plastic/ glass which was an eye sore. We had to move rooms because we were located by the club and all you can hear is the industrial fans running and vans/ people coming to and from in the early hours of the morning. When we asked to move rooms we got spoken to terribly by one member of the reception staff. We got roped into doing this marketing thing where one staff member walking us round trying to get us to become "exclusive members" (which btw is £10k to be a part of and is essentially a time share) told us we couldn't have picked a worse time to visit and the weather would not clear up and the beaches weren't very nice?? This was on the first day which made us feel really negative considering we had spent £2500+ to be there. He wasn't lying about the beaches either, they weren't very pretty at all, certainly wasn't the calming paradise that was sold to us by TUI. The food at the Al a Carte restaurants was good, the sushi bar was great including the staff. The general staff around the hotel were okay however due to the fact we had complained about the room we did get an off-ish vibe from them the rest of the holiday compared to the first couple of days of arrival. The spa is incredibly expensive, you only get like an hour to use the facilities and the water is freezing. It is very nice to look at though and the massage was nice.
I'm actually heartbroken as we had waited a year for this holiday and it just wasn't relaxing at all.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nin92xo
Catalonia_Caribbean, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2019

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it is always an honor to be chosen to enjoy the Riviera Maya.

We really regret to know the final result. I would like to take this opportunity and apologize for the inconvenience. You definitely mention very important areas of opportunity and I assure you that we will deal with them internally, we will learn from this occasion and we will make sure that we do not make the same mistakes again; I have already forwarded your contribution to the leaders of Catalonia Riviera Maya.

On the other hand, in spite of everything, we are glad to read that there were aspects that were to your liking and that you could enjoy, Ayami is one of our most popular restaurants and the commitment that this team has with their visitors is incomparable.

Dear guest, thank you very much for your visit, again I offer an apology and hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning to the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 15 October 2019 via mobile

First visit to Mexico and enjoyed every minute.
Hotel was excellent food in buffet restaurants was good wide verity to choose from, breakfast usual choices eggs bacon sausages hash browns, continental, Mexican, pastries.
Lunch salads,fruit, hot cold meats pasta
Evening very similar to lunch
5 Al a carte restaurants
Must be booked tried all 5
Japanese was the best
Grill bar / steak very good
Italian also good
Tapas is Spanish but it’s not tapas
Mexican was ok
Stayed in room 414 which was very big, king size bed. Room bit dated but very clean.
Staff very polite and willing to help
Pool area clean
Not allowed in some areas if your not a privilege or exclusive guest.
Beach no problem with seaweed during stay.
Kept clean daily and weekly they would do a clean up for plastic
Beach bar very good barman Rafael one of the best would know your drink within a day or two it was quite but would bring you another drink before you had finished the previous one.

One down side was despite have a coffee maker in room you had to ask for coffee and milk you had to get from restaurant

2  Thank deanofzs
Catalonia_Caribbean, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2019

Dear Dean,

We are very happy to read your opinion, to be chosen to have the first contact with Mexico is an honor and we are proud to know that the expectations were met. Your opinion is so well detailed that I am sure it will be very helpful for any user of Tripadvisor. On the other hand, Rafael is a star, I am sure he will be very happy to know that his service has impressed you, I will take the liberty of sharing with him your opinion. Dear guest, thank you very much for your visit, of course we hope you can come back soon to repeat the Catalonia experience.

Reviewed 15 October 2019

Good things - the food here is absolutely beautiful- there has been nothing at all that hasn’t been nice. There are plenty of choice and everything is clean and fresh.
The staff are lovely and always ready to help and smiling.
The bar drinks are good with branded alcohol, lots of options and they make lots of cocktails, anything you want with no waiting.
There’s plenty of wildlife around the hotel.
Breakfast is from 6:30 am and you can get coffee all day.
Israel
Bad things - whilst the rooms are a decent size- however they will not clean rooms if anything of “value” is left out - but their meaning of value is different to ours. I left a mosquito band out and they wouldn’t clean our room, on another occasion an empty phone case and again no room clean.

The entertainment staff are sweet but this is the first time I have ever experienced this- they would say things like “we need a beautiful woman” and walk past loads of ladies, seeing ladies faces look sad isn’t something I’ve seen before on holiday, especially due to staff, they would also get people up but if there is someone on the larger/older side and they don’t want to see them dance, they will play a song from another country so they don’t know it and don’t dance.

The Hotel itself is very money oriented- if you have booked in normal class family room (blue band) you are only allowed in certain areas, be aware that this is not made clear in TUIs holiday information.
By upgrading to privileged, you then have the use of a separate beach area which they collect the sea weed from, a private pool and a private beach bar, you can sit in special places in the restaurants (near fans) and you are also allowed to order a few extra things from the al a carte menus.
Or
Upgrade to Exclusive, meaning you can have a little bath outside your room in your rear garden, a large bed, a living room with a pullout sofa bed for kids and larger TV in each room.
There is also an added bonus of upgrading of being allowed a free spa massage ....but you have to take your credit card!!!! this is because there is a catch of having to attend a meeting for the Hotel to sell you future Catalonia hotel in other counties!
Another Exclusive shares kind of upgrade will get you a larger private pool outside your room, and the use of swinging beds by the beach.

There are also market stalls in the middle of the hotel paths that really pester you to buy their products, this happens nearly every night and you have to go past them to get to the food halls.

Date of stay: August 2019
3  Thank 126zoeh

Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for the time you took to share your experience. We regret to know that the facilities were not to your liking, although it is true that there are different benefits for each category, it is important to mention that the service is the same for everyone, we will take your experience as learning and reinforce our actions to avoid projecting a bad impression . On the other hand, we will verify the areas of opportunity that you have detected such as animation quality and cleaning procedure. We hope to have the honor of hosting you again and show the positive changes we can achieve. Thank you for your visit.