“Barcelo Maya Beach and Caribe”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Fort Smith MT
“Barcelo Maya Beach and Caribe”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had a great stay at the Barcelo. The grounds are wonderful - some jungle, some manicured, lots of flowers. Actually the prettiest I've seen. The staff was wonderful and our every request was granted. The room was comfortable and spacious and the shower was great. The only thing we were not impressed with is the buffet food - it was barely warm. If we had the entree that they cooked on the spot, it was good. The Mexican restaurant was delicious. 3 of the reservation restauants were closed which was dispappointing. The beach was nice.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade to the ocean view. We'd been on the ocean for a week so wasn't important...
2 Thank Janet_DFortSmithMT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York Mills, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Barcelo. So many things to do and such a beautiful beach to enjoy. We did the all-inclusive and the food was great. We would recommend this resort to everyone. We did not bring our children, but certainly could have. Plenty for the kids to do there too as well as being a family friendly place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise K
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My sister and I went for relaxation, the service was excellent, our room was perfect, quiet. We enjoyed the nightly shows. The site is beautiful with all these palm trees and nice vegetation. Also the food was good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Giz41
Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Room
I first want to say what an amazing team at Barcelo Maya. Abraham our bellboy took us to our room in Tulum with a great friendly attitude and smile. Not impressed that the air was not that great. Realized the next day that there is no way we could stay in the room with the hot temperatures outside. The 2nd day, the reception moved us to a brighter, much cooler room in COBA. Room 2320. Beautiful jungle view. Birds lovely. Beds snuggly. Shower large, loads of hot water and pressure. Maids friendly and we were 3 girls in the room, so imagine the mess! Tip well, got great service. Don't know how it would be without, but always tipping. Not a bug to be seen :) Safe large. Lots of closet space. Secure double locks on balcony.
Pool
AMAZING...did water aerobics every day, won the olympic games contest. Animation team amazing and fun. "Usher" was super charged energetic
Danced Salsa by the pool daily, came home more in shape then ever! Pool bar staff AMAZING...Alfredo and the boys did a great job getting us great drinks all week!! Water was warm and pool was lively with music and fun. Sun is very hot...be warned. I am part native and still needed a 40SPF and got a great tan. I saw may sun blisters and burns. Please bring a hat and zinc for your nose.
Beach
I didn't spend hours there, I normally do. But, the weather was very hot and thankfully windy. The waves were fun and tiring. Beach stunning though, I have been to Turks and Caicos so, its hard to compare anything to Grace Bay. But you will not be disappointed! I came with a girl who spent most of the week on the beach and loved it. No one bugging you like Dominican to buy crap either.
Plaza
Plaza was lovely, we took a Tram and looked around. Bought matching rings, Mayan calendars. Lovely pure silver. There is a Walmart near Playa Del Carmen...worth the taxi for souviniers. cost about $25 each way USD. Bought Don julio Tequila and many other kids for a fraction of the cost. Vanilla cheap and best ever for baking. Playa Del Carmen a nice place to go and eat. 5th AVE is neat and cool to walk the strip in early evening. I do not go out at night...its a rule we have. I don't talk to many locals, don't trust anyone.
Lobby Bar
Very nice..Alberto was very sweet and served me my espresso and bloody mary with a smile. My night after Tequila fun cure! The servers were super sweet and brought me a bowl of yummy nuts and olives to snack on. We met some awesome Canadians that will be life long friends I'm sure! Sang and partied every night there. It was a fun spot for 25+ to hang out. Fransisco was a sweetie and made the greatest chocolate martinis!! XO.
I'm a very picky eater. Couldn't sit long in buffet at night. Like I said very hot week. Ate a big breaky, Omlette station perfect. Fresh fruit, pastries, and assortment of hot/cold items. What impressed me was, the staff checking temperatures and removing and replacing stagnant food. Meat was sizzling and cold items cold. Very impressed. Lunch, we enjoyed at the smaller buffet, by the beach/pool. Didn't try the A LA Cartes but the friends I met said they were good. Would rather spend my time sipping fine cocktails and dancing.
Jaguar Disco
It's at the Caribe, very nice. Short walk. Comparable to any Toronto nightclub. Sexy dancers. Fast service. I am not into hot, sweaty 20 yr olds falling around drunk. In my 20's I would have been dancing and partying until they tossed me out!
Sunwing:
Delay on the way there, also on the way home. Will be complaining, plane ride smooth although, was behind a couple who had a crying baby, That was fine. It was the fact, they had all their stuff under the seat. They had Priority seating as well. Which I thought was rude, Seats small enough AS IT IS!
Kuddos to all staff who made this trip very special. If I could go back today, I would!! The only negative was the heat, although it seems to be cooler this week.

Room Tip: Room 2320 Coba nice room. Try not to get a room with a cement balcony, unless you want privacy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Michelle T
massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The resort we had planned on staying at overbooked. We were transfered to the Barcelo 1/2 hour further down the coast. There were so many very good things about the Barcelo. The sevice of the wait staff was outstanding at all of the restaurants and were very pleasent. A tip of the cap to Victor who found a way help solve a problem. All of the food was well prepared and fresh. If you like fish you will not be disappointed. The nightly shows had a live band of talented musicians and singers. They did not lip-sync, they played, sang and danced in the open air theater to a professional standard.
The management has posted rules about dress codes for the restaurants that require reservations and adhere to them which we apprediated. You will find some people that forget their manners while in the buffet lines and these same people are the ones who don't use the tongs to put their food in their plates. This is not the fault of the resort just as an occassional windy day will change your plans.
The beach was well kept and had life guards along with surf warning flags. They do not have palapas but hundreds of palm trees that provide shade that moves with the suns path. They did not have vendors on the beach or as guests at night. There is a retain/manufacturing center nearby. If there is an area that has room for improvement it is the front desk. As people wait their turn in line they will allow some people to skirt the line and go directly to the counter. This annoyed more then one person who waited patiently. When checking out they have tried a system where you were supposed to be check out with paper work acting as your paid receit. You were told all you would have to do was drop your keys off at the end of the counter and show the bell man your PAID receit. When following these instructions the clerk growled to get in line and wait.
The attempt at trying to make the checkout proceedure painless did not work. The clerks could be more customer friendly. There was also a problem with some people returning late and making way too much noise with their tequila induced foul language. To the resorts credit they reacted quickly to solve the encore performances of the very late Sunday and Monday night events.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are directly on the beach but are all well appointed, air conditioned and clean.
1 Thank footballboy
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband and I just finished our 3rd vacation at the Bacelo Maya Beach Resort. Overall we had a very good vacation, The grounds are still kept up very well but the buildings are definately starting to show their age and the maintenance of the pool was not done well at all. You can't fault the staff, they do their very best all the time, we have never ever had a problem with the people there. My one real complaint is the quality of the food at the buffet has gone down quite a bit from last year. We like to stroll the grounds a lot and noticed a vast difference in the upkeep of the other buildings as opposed to the Beach and the Caribe. I realize these are supposed to be their "bargain buildings" but the Barcelo Resorts are supposedly one of the "better" chains and this does not look good for them.
If we do return again next year we will definately upgrade to either the Tropical or the Colonial.

1 Thank fredslady
Toronto
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We traveled on Apr 17-22, just got back yesterday midnight. So my memory is fresh enough to write this review. I'm also a TripAdvisor nazi who reads a lot before and after I booked the resort. So I have a good idea of what to expect. Overall I'm very satisfied with the resort and our first trip to Mexico. My wife and I are the type of persons who don't need any special attention on us. We can enjoy ourselves without intimate services, etc.. So a big resort like this didn't bother us one bit. I think I paid a good price for it, but of course the last-minute price is even cheaper if you want to try that.

AIRPORT/ATM
A bit of line-up even during low season in April. Cancun airport is always busy. I took out all the pesos I need from the BBVA ATM just before you exit the airport. The service charge was $66 peso, and Scotiabank charged me another $5 CAD. I know I can withdraw from Scotia's ATM in towns like Playa Del Carmen for less fee, but I'd like to have money on me as soon as I can.

TRANSPORT
They drove us in the white mini-van. And as you all know, they drive VERY FAST in Mexico. We almost got into an accident with a truck because our driver refused to slow down to let the truck cut in. He ended up hard-braking to avoid hitting the truck. All the loud sound and dust must have turned some of older passengers' stomach. Thank God (seriously) that our vacation was not cut short before even reaching to the resort.

CHECK-IN/RECEPTIONIST
No one greeted us when we arrived, no big deal. The check-in process was smooth and our luggage was carried to our room shortly after we settled in our room. Didn't get the room and building I requested it though, but maybe I didn't send the email to the right address. Receptionist seemed intelligent and worked efficiently. I visited them a few times to break $500 peso bills into small ones and they'd do it for me fast.

ROOM/BUILDING
Room is basic but clean. We're in COBA first floor close to the west side, so it's a long walk to the pool/beach but close to buffet & lobby. I'd prefer to stay on 2nd or 3rd floor for more privacy but 1st floor saves you the stairs to climb. The room feels a bit old, but everything works. Our toilet keeps running but we know how to work it so didn't request repair. I like the details they have in the room such as slippers, robes (didn't use it though), Q-tips. Mini-fridge is full and nice but not ice-cold. Maid does a good job. They even tied my cell phone charger cable though not necessary, but that showed they really kept the room neat. I have a feeling the tip could be taken by the min-fridge stock staff rather than the maid. Put the tip on the pillow just in case. Our room is close to the theater, so you can hear some noisy at night. But we were so tired everyday so didn't bother us too much. The bed is comfy but feels a bit sticky because of the humidity. We kept one door card inserted in all the time to keep the AC running. One day the maid removed the card, so I wasn't very happy walking into a humid room. That also happened to be on the day that I didn't tip (no lose change). Maybe she's trying to send me a message :)

BEACH/POOL
Beach is amazing as everyone is saying. But if you wonder a bit to the side, you'll hit rocks if you're not careful. If you like to walk into the beach a lot, I suggest wear water shoes. I like the long stretch of beach that extends far to the right side. It's quiet and less crowded. But lots of seaweed on the far side and it smells like seafood. Lots of chairs and shade though. It's red/yellow flag when we were there, so didn't do any water sports. The pool is shallow. It's huge and temperature is good. I love how the pool is open until 10pm. Swimming at night time is quite (pool bar not open at night) and refreshing. I didn't know you're supposed to return the towels and get your beach towels cards back for check-out.

ACTIVITY
Did mini-golf on a very hot and humid day. Sweating all the way but it's very shaded. Played Ping-Pong and basketball. Quite a bit of things to do.

NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
We've only been to 2 shows. I don't know what a bad show is, so anything to see at night is good enough for me. At the Karaoke show, I'm proud to say that there are a lot of great singers from Canada! Very impressed. But the two Canadian girls doing a Britney song were... different. They even said "It's Britney, [--]" when there were probably many kids in the audience. They even did the mic-drop at the end. It was just not very classy in my opinion. But it's everyone's vacation I guess so I won't judge.

BAR
No long wait, but they could use more bartenders. My favorite drink there is Caribbean Dream, very fruity.

FOOD
Food is great. I can always find things I like. I love the soups. Too bad we didn't see any lobsters (maybe we missed it or there is none). If you dislike the food, you're spoiled considering the price you paid.

WAITERS
They worked really hard and fast. Most of them will come and say hi to you but don't expect a long conversation. We're not looking for it anyways. One particular waiter insisted that I drank half glass of Tequila after knowing it was our last night at the resort. It felt a bit weird but after drinking it with his suggested way, let's just say I wasn't afraid to sing & dance in front of strangers.

Ala Carte
We're allowed to have 2 bookings for our 5-night stay. We were told Seafood was fully booked, so we can only go to Mexican & Spanish. The food is good, and I really enjoyed the service at Mexican. Mainly it's because it's a 6pm dinner so it's not too busy yet. For Spanish, we went at 7:30pm and asked to wait for about 10min to get our seat. And the service was slow and impersonal because they are very under-staffed. No big deals though, we were in no hurry.

EXCURSION/GETTING-AROUND
This is what Mexico is best at. There are so much things to do for all ages that we are so tired everyday. Barcelo is at a good location close to many things. Given our vacation is only 5 days, we only did Xel-Ha & Xplor. Both of them are must-go in our opinion. Just check out their website for all the info. We spent a full day at each park. We paid extra for the Snuba in Cenote at Xel-Ha that was really cool. The pictures at Xplor is very expensive, $35 USD per person, $70 for couple. You get a USB stick with pictures on it though. Both places have good buffet. It's very well organized.
We wanted to go to Tulum but wife wasn't feel well. We also went to Playa Del Carmen to shop around. We used Collectivos all the way. While it's cheap, it does have its downfall. You will expect to take much longer time to reach your destination due to all the waiting and frequent stops. Barcelo seems to be a big stop for them to pick up passengers. So there always seems to be a collectivo waiting at the entrance. But expect a long wait if the van is not full. If you need to get to Tulum or places early and fast, then it's best to go with taxi. But if you're like me who wants to spend less money, Collectivo is definitely great. I paid $30 Pesos to get to Xplor/Playa, $35 Pesos to get to Xel-Ha.

CHECK-OUT
Our Sunwing flight delayed for 6hrs! Needless to say it was a long journey home. They let us keep the bracelet until we have to leave so that's nice. We left our luggage at the lobby and went to the beach for our extended vacation. But you need to let them cut your bracelet off at the end to complete the check-out process or else they won't let you board the bus.

Overall, it's a great vacation for us. We'll be back to Mexico for sure. The resort is great for the price we paid. I'll probably check out other resorts next time just for different experiences. But I would recommend this resort and I have nothing real negative to say.

Have fun!

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!