“Great trip in the newly remodeled Beach!”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I recently traveled with my husband, parents, sister and her boyfriend between Christmas and New Years. We were lucky enough to be the FIRST guests in three of the new Club Premium suites in the Coba building :). We had rooms 2312, 2300 and 2201. The suites were great and everyone loved them. We had a few issues to start off our trip but with one email to the hotel director, he had maintenance in our room replacing the flat panel tv, mini fridge and by the end of the day our jacuzzi on the balcony worked!

My husband and I stayed in the same building on our honeymoon and loved the resort so much we talked my parents and sister to come with this trip!

Lots of this have changed for the positive at the beach since the renovations.... The new suites are fabulous-jacuzzis on all the balconies, new lobby bar, enclosed buffet (use to be open air)- there is still available outdoor seating, a new restaurant Mexico !indo-great food, new bigger gift shop, new Club Premium lounge, and lots of other great additions!

barcelo also added a Dolphinarium! Some are skeptical because the pools are not the largest... But we decided to do it anyway and loved every minute of it! The dolphins seem to be treated very well and they hopefully switch them out from the pools into the ocean dolphinariums at some point...

We also did the ATV-Cenyote excursion that's located on the resort again. It was great and I'm glad my family got to experience it with us.

The weather was so, so all week but I at least got to come back with some kind of tan! We also got to go visit Coba one morning and that was a great time.

Restaurants at Barcelo are pretty good... Although the seafood restaurant Marenostrum was a complete let down... There was 6 of us and all 6 of our seafood dishes were over cooked and just not tasty...
When visiting Barcelo I definitely recommend visiting a The Brasserie (French restaurant) at the palace, Koyoto (Japanese) at the Colonial and The Santa Fe steakhouse at the tropical. They were all great.

We are hoping to go back in June for our 3 year anniversary. :)

I'm going to post some photos on here of the new suites and the beautiful resort. Enjoy!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mackenzie T
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We look forward to receiving you again in the future

Write a ReviewReviews (8,986)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

A group of friends and family travelled to Barceló Maya Beach on Dec 26th - Jan 2nd via Air Canada Rouge. Our flight was a little late so check in wasn't until after 1:00 AM. No issues at all. The group was all in one building in the 7600's. Perfect location, close to the pool, swim up bar and activities area.

The food was terrific and the hotel offered nice touches like leaving bottled water on the outdoor bars for those early morning exercisers. The bar also had full size plastic (reusable) cups. The mixed drinks were great at the swim up bar. The bartenders there were fun too.

Breakfast at the buffet was terrific and we enjoyed lunches in the restaurant by the pool. A few of us are celiac's and had no issues finding food. Ask for the corn tortilla's they were great. We had dinner at the Mexican, Italian, Steak House and Oriental -- all were terrific and we had no issue booking as a group (21) although we had several tables. New Years buffet was wonderful with lots of hot and cold seafood. The 'Red Cross' Caesar station on January 1st was a nice touch.

Beach and pool are great and we enjoyed the water aerobics each day. Mini golf, bocce, lawn bowling, shuffleboard are all available. The pool has a lap section too. Good walking beach. There is also plenty of shopping on site.

All in all a very good vacation. The only draw back was the night life which is pretty much nil. There is a nice 24 hour bar but it has entertainment only in the early evening. There is a disco but it had a sketchy feel and our young people passed.

Good place for groups, but very large and a little confusing to get around.

Room Tip: There are elevators in each of the buildings so don't worry about being on a top floor.
2  Thank Northern_Vacationer8

I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Also, I would like to thank you for the valuable time you have taken to share you experience with us, it is only through customer feedback, both negative and positive, that we can improve our services.

We look forward to receiving you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent a week from Dec. 28 to Jan. 2 at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort. The property was beautiful with great beach and pool area. Our service was the worst I have ever experienced. We checked in at 3:00 and didn't get into our rooms until 6:30 after 4 attempts. 1st try: keys didn't work and we were on the 2nd floor with no elevator working. This wouldn't work because one of the members of our group needed a wheelchair. 2nd attempt: bathroom from floor above leaked and water all over the floor. Later found out another couple had been upgraded when they found this at their check-in. They would not do the same for us. 3rd attempt: 2 rooms at opposite ends of the building and we needed to be close to help the member of our group who needed help with wheelchair. 4th attempt: air conditioner didn't work, no batteries in tv so that didn't work, no soap and conditioner supplies in bathroom shower, no light bulb in lamp. We requested some compensation for all of our trouble. We requested that the hotel give the 2 girls in our group free ticket for the dolphin activity. After 2 days of trying to track down the manager and get some answers he declined any gift of these tickets. He said it was not part of their enterprise and couldn't buy them for us. (What a joke!!!) He sent a plate of fruit to our room. Ha, we could get all the fruit we wanted int he buffet. Any phone request for guest services took forever to get answered.

4  Thank 143disappointed
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the unintentional inconveniences in your rooms have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
I am sorry that we were not able to find a suitable compensation for you on this occasion, our main goal is to make sure that all our guests leave with wonderful memories of their stay here and wanting to return.
We will be happy to receive you again one day with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.
Once again many thanks for sharing your comments.
Warm regards

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was my first All Inclusive since my husband and I went our honeymoon 15 years. We usually take our three children to a beach house somewhere remote like Virgin Gorda or Tortola, or our very favorite place in the world, St. John, USVI.

With that being said, Barceló was a nice resort. The Food Manager should be commended for our smoothly every single meal went every night, every morning, etc. The service in all the restaurants and bars was excellent.

We upgraded to Premier and I am not sure if it was worth it. Guest Services was sub par, and it took about 4 - 5 calls to get someone to come up to the room for either sheets, toilet paper, towels, etc. That was annoying....not sure if they would've come had we had regular service? I don't know.

The property is immaculate and well kept. The employees are super pleasant and very helpful. The gentleman that handles their tours to book was informative, spoke perfect English and his enthusiasm for the area is infectious. He was great.

The beach is absolutely excellent...white sand, lots of chairs, shade if you want, and crystal clear water.... The pool is also very nice. There are no slides at this resort, however Barceló has 5 resorts in a row and you can simply walk about 300 hundred steps to the ones that do have the slides...It was fun to hop pools...

The only thing that I didn't like was the Dolphin Pool. I feel it must be mentioned. We didn't know that they had a Dolphin Pool when we booked or I'm not sure if I would've gone there. My 14 year old son and I went over and watched and we were appalled at the size pool they have (definitely not adequate).... and we were just upset at the entire attraction knowing what we know about Dolphins in captivity.

They had a Kid Spa, adult Spa, yoga on the beach every morning, tons of activities for children, entertainment every night, etc. The rooms were clean and neat and the shower was great!

I would recommend this resort if you are looking for a family friendly, all inclusive resort...as long as you don't have an issue with the Dolphin Pool.

6  Thank annieislandbound

Thank you so much for sharing your impresions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, especially your comments regarding Guest Service and response times, we will certainly use this information to improve our attention to all our guests.
Regarding your coments about the Dolphinarium, I would like to share the following information:

The Dolphinarium at our resort is run by a profesional company “Dolphinaris” who specialize in the care and well being of marine mammals. They operate 5 dolphin habitats in the Cancun and Riviera Maya and have an excellent track record wiith 17 years of experience in Dolphin care and habitat maintenance. They are widely considered to be the leading industry experts. I can refer you to thier website if you would like to know more about them as a company and thier facilities – www.dolphinaris.com.mx

The habitat at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, and the care of the animals is subject to international law and standards. I can confirm that Dolphinaris strictly adhere to these laws and maintain the highest standards possible.

Of course we respect everybody’s opinión and there is no obligation to you or any guests to use the Dolphinarium, I would however like to conclude only by saying that it is a very popular consumer driven activity, is internationally regulated and has been offered as an activity by many different companies since the 1970’s.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.

We remain at your service

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited Barceló Maya December 1-8, 2013 for the 11th time…Took 2 other couples with us, one for the first time. They loved it as did we. The new couple had only done many cruises: they liked Barceló better. We have stayed at other resorts in Mexico, Jamaica, and Bahamas. Usually for 10 days. Over our 11 stays at Barceló, we occasionally meet a guest who has been to 4 or 5 Cancun or Riveria Maya resorts: so far each has always said they prefer Barceló and have returned there.
The sections (Beach/Caribe and Tropical/Colonial...but not the top-end Palace) keep their prices down by carefully choosing where to lavish their $ resources for guests. There are no jacuzzis in your room for example, only marble tub, shower, and flooring. They do an excellent job maintaining and updating rooms, grounds, restaurants, & attractions, recently in some very major ways. Nowhere does the place look old, worn or outdated.
Of course one can always find something to complain about in Mexico. But Barceló International is a BIG Spanish company running many all-inclusive resorts world-wide. It pays attention to details, runs a tight ship, and listens intently to guest feedback. That trickles down to the bottom folks at the resort. Whenever you submit an “opinion slip” for a particular service or for your overall stay, the appropriate resort director reads your comments on his networked monitor the same day (checks every day) (I actually saw this occurring). We have taken or convinced at least 14 other couples to stay at Barceló Maya over the years. Most have raved about their stay and have returned there. None has ever told us they were disappointed.
Each of the 3 sections gives menu options and room features somewhat proportional to their base rate. The Palace has premium choices in liquor, accommodations, and food. In the least expensive section, there is a spacious, classy, and modern upgrade being done to lobby, buffet, bar, lounges, and theater in construction, nearly completed. [I didn't get to see the updated rooms there.]
The staff, from groundskeepers (probably 150!), to maids, table servers, maintenance, and management are truly friendly and most seem to sincerely like you. If I meet eyes with any staff-person or worker, their hola's are sincere and the smiles don't fade quickly (ie. appear fake). This is probably because they have housing and meals provided on the grounds, discretely off near the highway.
Of the 1.5 miles of beach, 65-70% is sandy, wade-able, & swimmable... not found elsewhere in the Mexican Caribbean (as far as I know). Impassible physical barriers prevent anyone but guests & staff from getting to the Federally owned beach, so you are never pestered by vendors/hawkers.
Food is excellent at the 5 grills, 5 buffets, and 9 (?) evening-time restaurants. Not awesome. Once a week maximum they will have lobster tail. Perhaps a whole shrimp choice once or twice each day. Langostinas about twice a week. Always lots of steak/seafood/pork/lamb options. Good salad makings and European and S.American preferred dishes too. Each eating location has an independent manager and chef who use their own best choices for menus. Our cruise-experienced friends prefer Barceló’s food quality (in general) and most definitely the variety to that of any cruise.
They just opened a swim-with-the-dolphins option (watch free; interact for $ extra) by the beach (using actual SeaWorld technology).
There is no need to reserve your lounge at the pool or on the beach! There are at least two times more lounges than guests (I don't know about Xmas or spring break). Water-sports are free: Hobie cats, kayaks, wind-surf boards, paddle-boats, and lessons for each. There is snorkeling off the pier and a small reef just outside the swimming area (about 150 yards out). Snorkel gear is free to use. Jet skis, para-sailing, skin-diving, fishing, and snorkeling "excursions" are extra ($70 to $90 ?). Volleyball on the beach late afternoons.
The pools are lagoon-like, clean, and numerous (look at the aerial photos) … never crowded. When swimming the circumference of a pool after folks have thinned out, I go about ½ mile for each lap! Lots of swim-up pool bars. There is plenty of sunshade around all the pools and probably a thousand big palms on the beach and grounds. Most people just laze around the “friendly” pools. Even in July/August it is not hot or muggy, even up at the lobby. They have consciously made sure that the nearly constant ocean breeze reaches way inland on the property…it makes it pleasant outside everywhere. Probably has a square mile of beautifully groomed grounds.
Try it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
24  Thank Louise W
DirectorBeachCaribe, Sub Director Beach at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Dear Louise W

Thank you for reviewing your stay in our Barceló Maya Beach. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your stay special. We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that all our guests leave with beautiful vacation memories.
Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience at Barceló Maya Beach.

We have been working to improve our services by making new renovations: New lobby, new buffet and restaurants, new Premium lounge and Premium Level rooms, we have built more a la carte restaurants like Mexico Lindo, La Fuente, Tokyo and Trattoria. Pirates Island Water Park where you can have hours of fun on the FlowRider, new Maya Mall with shops, a lot of surprises and places to discover. For kids, the new Barcy Club, we invite to you to chceck our website and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in 2017.

Sincerely

Erika García Argueta
Sub Director Beach| Assistant Director Beach
Barceló Maya Grand Resort
beach.subdirector@barcelomaya.com
T+52 984 875 15 00 | Ext. 1521

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have traveled to Barcelo three times now. I am a 19 year old female and I travel with my family. Since most of these reviews are done by older people, I thought a review by a teen would be nice for families with teens. Barcelo is impeccable. After first arriving on the property, I was speechless. The lobby is open air and the view from the lobby is the beach and the beautiful ocean. My family was greeted with cocktails and friendly help. Checking in was a little bit of a hassle, but that's not a big deal to me. What's an hour of check in when you've got an entire week to relax? My brother and I were in a room adjacent to our parents' room. This was extremely convenient especially because my parents are protective. I was able to get an adult wristband because I was of age, but my 17 year old brother was not. After my dad asked the hotel manager to make an exception, he was given an adult band as well. This alone meant a lot to my family because it made the trip much more exciting. The pools are absolutely fantastic. The water is refreshing and not drying at all. I was in the pool for probably six hours per day. The swim up bar was awesome as well. They are willing to make just about any drink. They're flirtatious, but I found it funny. Overall, I never felt disrespected or violated at all. The food is just fine for an all-inclusive resort. My favorite restaurants were the Brazilian and the Caribe. Also, the buffets are full of awesome food. The bungalows around the pools are also phenomenal for a middle of the day snack - they also have American food choices so it was easy to eat in the middle of the day. The nightlife at the resort is AWESOME. Each year, I have met other teens around my age. Jaguars is a blast, and the security watches the men like hawks to ensure safety. I never felt in danger. The beaches are absolutely stunning. There is more than enough seating for everyone on the beach, no matter what time you wake up in the morning. Also, there is a pier by the Barcelo Beach hotel and the fish that swim under it are beautiful. There were buses that transported customers to and from the different hotels on the resort. Overall, this is a great place to go if you are a family with teens. It's my favorite week of the year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pools/beaches.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Megan M

Dear Megan M

Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience at Barceló Maya Beach.

Sincerely

Erika García Argueta
Sub Director Beach| Assistant Director Beach
Barceló Maya Grand Resort
beach.subdirector@barcelomaya.com
T+52 984 875 15 00 | Ext. 1521

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is a long overdue review of Barcelo Maya Beach. We went on our trip in March of 2013. Booked with Funjet Vacations, through Allen Travel. Funjet representative wasn't overly helpful at resort, but didn't really rely on them for any suggestions anyway. I personally prefer Apple, who we have our package through on our next visit. Only disappointing part of trip was transfer, pay extra for non stop transfers. They become very long, free beer is good, no bathrooms is not. Hotel had beautiful beach and grounds. Our room was clean daily and well stocked. A lttle tip goes a long way. They work very hard, long days. The bell hops were absolutely wonderful. So helpful and suggestive. We booked premium and are doing it again. The lounge is nice to go to any time of the day to either check emails, get a snack, and high end alcohol. Staying here has less access to the other resorts that are available. But we didn't have any desire to venture off anyway.

Food in restaurants was always good. Did find them to always have the air on fairly cold for me, so dress appropriatley. Buffets were always similar, but fresh and well stocked.

Went to Playa del Carmen on one day when weather was less nice. Another day we went fishing in the morning and caught a nice sail fish as well. Xelha is a place we have now went to twice and would go again.

The beach in front of the Maya beach is the nicest of the other resorts within complex. Much rockier as you get to the higher option resorts.

Our next trip is planned this upcoming March and we are looking very forward to it. No regrets. Some people may complain, but I think they must be harder to please then us.

Room Tip: No rooms are beach view, they face the beach, but pool and lush palms do block view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ilovesunIowa
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear ilovesunIowa,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Beach to expend your past holidays and look forward to see you. We wish to welcome you back some other time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!