“Great Family Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
bc
“Great Family Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach from Jan 14-21/2014 with Nolitours travelling from Vancouver BC.

We had a fantastic trip to this resort, the cheaper of the 5 resorts on this property (Caribe and Beach are together, then Colonial/Tropical and the Palace). The Beach lobby and main buffet had just been renovated and was super beautiful. The actual beach was very nice, nicer in front of the Caribe/Beach part and rockier near the Palace. Lots of chairs by the beach and pools, we never had an issue finding any near where we wanted to be at basically any time of day. The kids pools and water parks are awesome! Our son especially loved the park/playground near the childrens area too. Food was amazing at the buffet and beach buffet's although always more selection at the main one. We ate a la carte meals at the Mexican/Spanish/Steakhouse and liked them all. Service was amazing! In fact service was good everywhere with or without a tip. We left a note in the fridge with a tip the first day asking for more water than pop and boy did we get water after that, sometimes 8 large bottles which is good for a family of 4 (kids aged 2 and 5). The rooms were clean but a bit dated and could use some updating, the beds are a bit hard but fine. The rooms for us were fairly quiet with no issues really, we were even on the ground level (in building one) and could hear people moving furniture once but overall we were happy with the room. This resort also feels safe. We would not hesitate to go back and would recommend this resort to anyone.

4 Thank froesen
asistentedireccion, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
froesen, Thank you very much for sharing you experience at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, Our main goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and we are happy to know that we succeed, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn. we look forward to receiving you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed a week in jan. 2014. If sleep is important to you go some other place. The rooms are very noisy. You will here every door every foot every voice. The plumbing is loud. Forklifts unloading trucks all night. The worst are the doors slamming you will here and feel every every door in the building and it never stops. This is a beautiful place and really this is my only complaint every thing was A1 but I could not get a nights sleep. I would love to come back but I just can't take not getting my sleep.

Room Tip: Skip this one.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sleepless2014
Sleepless2014; We have received and read your comments at Tripadvisor; we appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share it, we would like to take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for the non- intentional inconveniences that you experienced during your stay at the Hotel Barceló Maya Beach. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again sometime in the future. Best Regards,
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We (my parents, husband and myself) stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort from January 5 2014 to January 15 2014. Unfortunately the 1st 5 days was cold, cloudy and rainy but obviously this is completely in the hands of the Universe! The resort itself was beautiful, the grounds were well maintained, the lobby, the main buffet and other areas within the resorts had been recently renovated therefore it was very nice to be in the initial crowd enjoying the new decor! The food was very good as well, we are not not picky eaters but nevertheless the variety was good. My opinion of a great beach is to have the ability to swim and play in the water without worrying about stepping on corals, rocks etc...This was not the case here at Barcelo. That being said for those of you who loves snorkeling you would be well served! Furthermore like many others that are saying in the below reviews there is always plenty of room, chairs available etc...The beach is very large when combined with the other 3 hotels on the premises (caribe, colonial & tropical) I am discounting Palace since we do not have access to that particular hotel when staying at one of the other 4.

I have stayed at the Palladium and Grand Bahia Principe in the past and must admit that my favorite was the Palladium for the following reasons: Even more variety in the food, when you stay at 1 of the hotels on the premise you have full access to all others which includes the main buffets and all restaurants, we did not have any restrictions on the numbers of times we could attend an 'à la carte' restaurant which was awesome, plus we have free internet access; the beach at the Colonial is also perfect for swimming, no corals or rocks to worry about.

Unfortunately I would not return to Barcelo Maya Beach, there was too many restrictions (only 4 a la carte dinner available and had to be at the Beach or Caribe sections (even though we stayed 10 days); Had to pay around $35US for 15 min internet access or $70US for a week's access which in my opinion is ridiculous, Could not enjoy the lobby bars and main buffet areas of the Colonial and Tropical and finally our rooms at the Beach was very worn down, we did not have the Club Premium upgrade therefore had an old room that needed lots of renovations and cleaning (mold in bathroom etc...))

I would also like to note the great time we had on the COBA excursion with AlitourNative, We were a small group (12) (Je prends un petit moment pour dire un beau bonjour a nos amis de la Belgique, Calgary and oui ici même a Gatineau!! xo) and the experience was great, you get to see the COBA temple which you can still climb (amazing); you get to learn some of the history behind the Mayan culture, you get to zipline over a lagoon with crocodiles...yikes...you 'rappel' down into a cenote (very nice!!), you experience a 'shaman' purification, you get to eat mayan culture food and meet amazing people! Our tour guide was Melina and she was amazing! She speaks fluent French and English! I would recommend any tour with Melina! (I was scared to do the 'zipline' for the 1st time in my life and in mexico over crocodile lagoon of all places!! But she was patient with me and reassured me...AGAIN a big thank you to you Melina for making this experience one that I will never forget! Bisous)
Tanya & Raymond

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest upgrading to the ClubPremium to ensure you get a renovated room.
7 Thank TanyaRaymond
TanyaRaymond: Many thanks for your contact trough Tripadvisor, and your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort., We would like to apologize for the non-intentional inconveniences you had during your stay at the Hotel. We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make your vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.
Best Regards,
Lake Villa, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

My advise to you is have your travel agent upgrade you to premium! After our first night not realizing we had to pay for room service, coffee pot broken (NO COFFEE), internet extra charge, and restaurant restrictions, I met with guest services and inquired about upgrading with the coupon Barceló supplied. Perfect! Our room was perfect (except shower drain flooding the toilet area), room service when we were lazy, variety of restaurant options and internet (needed to work each morning). Then 24 hours later, I get a call from guest services that they want another $250 because they made a mistake with their own coupon. After going to the front desk and complaining, Barceló agreed to forget the additional expense. They day before checkout, we go to the front desk to pay our bill for charges we made to our room and they tell us the woman that made the mistake will have our additional expense out of her wages. To top it off, the woman pleads with me to pay it because it is 1/2 her month pay. Quite honestly, I think this is all intensional! It would be very unfortunate if Barceló treated their employees this way and very unprofessional that they made this my problem. I WILL NOT RETURN!

Room Tip: Upgrade with your travel agent!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Diane K
asistentedireccion, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Diane K, Many thanks for your comments, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused but glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us. Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to the barcelo maya beach in january 2014, it was recently renovated very nice hotel, super friendly staff, beach was clean and free of rocks. Our room was about 3 minutes from the beach, and right next to the pool, both the beach and the pool had plenty of chairs and space so it was never crowded and we didnt have to search for chairs for long. Plenty of trees on the beach to provide shade, there is a theatre on site with different shows every night from songs to circus. There is a mini putt course, small golf course and tennis courts on site. Around the pool area everyday was some groupe games with a fun host. There are multiple restaurants on sites with different themes all are very nice and serve great food, we went to a mexican restaurant, a spanish restaurant and a steakhouse, all were very good with a nice selection of dishes. We loved every minute of our trip.

We Also recommend the ek-balam tour with altournative and the xel-ha/tulum tour from xcaret adventures. Both had very knowledgeable guides and were very well organized. Both tours offer two activities during the day ; ek-balam is half a day at a cenote (undergroud cave filled with crystal clear water where you can swim) followed by a buffet of typical mexican food and then half a day at the mayan ruins of ek-balam wich are gorgeous. Xel-ha/tulum is half a day of snorkling and half a day at the Mayan ruins of tulum wich are situated on the beach. The food and drinks are all included at xel-ha.

Very fun trip, cant wait ti go back

Room Tip: some rooms with pool view have a jacuzzi on the balcony
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandredv
asistentedireccion, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for spending your last vacations at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort.

We appreciate the time you took to write your impressions,We will be happy to receive you again.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I went here in August 2012. This was my first all inclusive experience down south and I was very pleased with this resort. The beach is in a cove so it is not too wavy and nice aqua blue waters. You can snorkel right off the resort with my colourful fish to see! The food selection was very good and food was good! Never had trouble with the choice of restaurants! The only thing that bothered me was that there was no AC in the main buffet, which I found tough to deal with. But other than that downside, I have no complaints!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, also I would like to thank you for the valuable time you have taken to share you experience with us, only through customer feedback, both negative and positive, are we able to improve our services.

We look forward to receiving you again in the future.
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I recently traveled with my husband, parents, sister and her boyfriend between Christmas and New Years. We were lucky enough to be the FIRST guests in three of the new Club Premium suites in the Coba building :). We had rooms 2312, 2300 and 2201. The suites were great and everyone loved them. We had a few issues to start off our trip but with one email to the hotel director, he had maintenance in our room replacing the flat panel tv, mini fridge and by the end of the day our jacuzzi on the balcony worked!

My husband and I stayed in the same building on our honeymoon and loved the resort so much we talked my parents and sister to come with this trip!

Lots of this have changed for the positive at the beach since the renovations.... The new suites are fabulous-jacuzzis on all the balconies, new lobby bar, enclosed buffet (use to be open air)- there is still available outdoor seating, a new restaurant Mexico !indo-great food, new bigger gift shop, new Club Premium lounge, and lots of other great additions!

barcelo also added a Dolphinarium! Some are skeptical because the pools are not the largest... But we decided to do it anyway and loved every minute of it! The dolphins seem to be treated very well and they hopefully switch them out from the pools into the ocean dolphinariums at some point...

We also did the ATV-Cenyote excursion that's located on the resort again. It was great and I'm glad my family got to experience it with us.

The weather was so, so all week but I at least got to come back with some kind of tan! We also got to go visit Coba one morning and that was a great time.

Restaurants at Barcelo are pretty good... Although the seafood restaurant Marenostrum was a complete let down... There was 6 of us and all 6 of our seafood dishes were over cooked and just not tasty...
When visiting Barcelo I definitely recommend visiting a The Brasserie (French restaurant) at the palace, Koyoto (Japanese) at the Colonial and The Santa Fe steakhouse at the tropical. They were all great.

We are hoping to go back in June for our 3 year anniversary. :)

I'm going to post some photos on here of the new suites and the beautiful resort. Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Mackenzie T
asistentedireccion, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
I would like to thank you for the valuable time you have taken to share you experience with us, it is only through customer feedback, both negative and positive, that we can improve our services.

We look forward to receiving you again in the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,173 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,396 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!