“A very nice vacation at a first rate resort”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Having vacationed at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort Caribe three previous times I had very solid expectations of a first rate vacation on arrival. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. On arrival my reception was anything but special. I expected at least a "thanks for returning" and a welcome beverage but received nothing. My accommodations were for a Prestige customer and I was expecting a Premium vacation (Prestige being a second level upgrade with Premium being the highest level upgrade). This as it turns out was not the resorts fault but mine and my travel agents. On bringing my pedestrian reception to the attention of the resort staff they were apologetic and while unable to do much about my accommodation were willing to offer me free Wi-Fi for the week in appreciation of my return (later in the week I received a Thank You letter from the resort General Manager and a bottle of champagne). Once this was out of the way the vacation improved each day I was there. The weather was terrific and the resort was spacious with all I could ask for (pools aplenty, lots of beach chairs) in facilities and activities. As I have come to expect the staff were helpful and friendly and did what they could do to make my stay enjoyable. As far as accommodations go there is some room for improvement. The rooms do not block noise very well and adjoining room and hallway noise was very easy to hear (I always knew when it was 7am when I heard the housekeeping cart clunk along the hallway - you might want to try pneumatic tires). The shower/bath combination was outfitted with a rainforest shower head which made showering a bit of a challenge. You couldn't really stand close enough to rinse your entire body so it became a bit of an exercise. A suggested improvement would be the installation of a detachable wand. Food was excellent in the buffet and the a la carte restaurants (Italian, Seafood and Steakhouse) and the bar service and wait staff were excellent. The availability of both on site activities and excursions is better than most resorts with 8 beautiful tennis courts, a three hole pitch and putt, a basketball court, ping pong tables, a kids water area, an archery area and an outside dart board (and I'm sure there were other activities I just didn't discover on my vacation). The beach was good but a little rocky as you make the transition from the Barcelo Colonial to the Barcelo Caribe. At many resorts lounge chairs are at a premium and informal "reserving takes place. But not at the Barcelo. There was never a problem finding a chair or a hammock. While the vacation was very good there was one glitch that occurred late in the week that should have been handled differently. Workers erected a scaffold outside of my balcony and for all of Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday worked to patch the roof of the building. They made a fair amount of noise, left debris on the balcony floor and really eliminated our opportunity to spend any quiet time on the balcony enjoying the sun. I fully understand that a resort has to be maintained continuously (and they do a fantastic job of keeping the resort in tip top shape) but if work like this has to be done guests should be informed in advance and other accommodation offered. There may appear to be a fair degree of criticism in my review but overall I really enjoyed the Barcelo Colonial and will absolutely return (in a Premium accommodation). I highly recommend the Barcelo Colonial. A first vacation at a first rate resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Premium accommodation that provides a southwest view and overlooks the pool.
1  Thank Terrance27
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Terrance27, Thank you very much for sharing you comments trough Tripadvisor, I would like to apologize for the non-intentional inconveniences that you had during your stay at the Barceló Maya Colonial. All guests are important for us and we like them to feel comfortable and give them the best services. I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.
Looking forward to serve you again

Write a ReviewReviews (8,883)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We were overall really pleased with our recent stay at the Barcelo Mayan Beach Resort. The beach was amazing and we discovered wonderful snorkelling especially in front of the Oaxaco building which was a 10 minute walk from our room in the Uxmal building but worth it! Food was good, grounds and buildings very clean and well-maintained, evening shows at theatre were very well produced and our 9 day stay was sunny so that certainly helped make the vacation great. I would agree with other reviewers that the rooms are far from soundproof but fortunately we were not kept awake!

Booking ala carte restaurant was a simple process but you are limited to number of reservations so that can be a downside, however the service at the buffets was very good so that made them very enjoyable. We would definitely visit this resort again because of the excellent beaches and snorkelling, however we would have liked a larger jacuzzi at the spa, especially when the nights were chilly

Room Tip: The Oaxaca does have a few oceanview rooms, we were close to pools and very close to beach also in t...
3  Thank marlene p

Dear marlene p: Many thanks for your contact, and your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, we are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. I would like to conclude by assuring you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach from Jan 14-21/2014 with Nolitours travelling from Vancouver BC.

We had a fantastic trip to this resort, the cheaper of the 5 resorts on this property (Caribe and Beach are together, then Colonial/Tropical and the Palace). The Beach lobby and main buffet had just been renovated and was super beautiful. The actual beach was very nice, nicer in front of the Caribe/Beach part and rockier near the Palace. Lots of chairs by the beach and pools, we never had an issue finding any near where we wanted to be at basically any time of day. The kids pools and water parks are awesome! Our son especially loved the park/playground near the childrens area too. Food was amazing at the buffet and beach buffet's although always more selection at the main one. We ate a la carte meals at the Mexican/Spanish/Steakhouse and liked them all. Service was amazing! In fact service was good everywhere with or without a tip. We left a note in the fridge with a tip the first day asking for more water than pop and boy did we get water after that, sometimes 8 large bottles which is good for a family of 4 (kids aged 2 and 5). The rooms were clean but a bit dated and could use some updating, the beds are a bit hard but fine. The rooms for us were fairly quiet with no issues really, we were even on the ground level (in building one) and could hear people moving furniture once but overall we were happy with the room. This resort also feels safe. We would not hesitate to go back and would recommend this resort to anyone.

4  Thank froesen
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

froesen, Thank you very much for sharing you experience at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, Our main goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and we are happy to know that we succeed, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn. we look forward to receiving you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed a week in jan. 2014. If sleep is important to you go some other place. The rooms are very noisy. You will here every door every foot every voice. The plumbing is loud. Forklifts unloading trucks all night. The worst are the doors slamming you will here and feel every every door in the building and it never stops. This is a beautiful place and really this is my only complaint every thing was A1 but I could not get a nights sleep. I would love to come back but I just can't take not getting my sleep.

Room Tip: Skip this one.
3  Thank Sleepless2014

Sleepless2014; We have received and read your comments at Tripadvisor; we appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share it, we would like to take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for the non- intentional inconveniences that you experienced during your stay at the Hotel Barceló Maya Beach. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again sometime in the future. Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We (my parents, husband and myself) stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort from January 5 2014 to January 15 2014. Unfortunately the 1st 5 days was cold, cloudy and rainy but obviously this is completely in the hands of the Universe! The resort itself was beautiful, the grounds were well maintained, the lobby, the main buffet and other areas within the resorts had been recently renovated therefore it was very nice to be in the initial crowd enjoying the new decor! The food was very good as well, we are not not picky eaters but nevertheless the variety was good. My opinion of a great beach is to have the ability to swim and play in the water without worrying about stepping on corals, rocks etc...This was not the case here at Barcelo. That being said for those of you who loves snorkeling you would be well served! Furthermore like many others that are saying in the below reviews there is always plenty of room, chairs available etc...The beach is very large when combined with the other 3 hotels on the premises (caribe, colonial & tropical) I am discounting Palace since we do not have access to that particular hotel when staying at one of the other 4.

I have stayed at the Palladium and Grand Bahia Principe in the past and must admit that my favorite was the Palladium for the following reasons: Even more variety in the food, when you stay at 1 of the hotels on the premise you have full access to all others which includes the main buffets and all restaurants, we did not have any restrictions on the numbers of times we could attend an 'à la carte' restaurant which was awesome, plus we have free internet access; the beach at the Colonial is also perfect for swimming, no corals or rocks to worry about.

Unfortunately I would not return to Barcelo Maya Beach, there was too many restrictions (only 4 a la carte dinner available and had to be at the Beach or Caribe sections (even though we stayed 10 days); Had to pay around $35US for 15 min internet access or $70US for a week's access which in my opinion is ridiculous, Could not enjoy the lobby bars and main buffet areas of the Colonial and Tropical and finally our rooms at the Beach was very worn down, we did not have the Club Premium upgrade therefore had an old room that needed lots of renovations and cleaning (mold in bathroom etc...))

I would also like to note the great time we had on the COBA excursion with AlitourNative, We were a small group (12) (Je prends un petit moment pour dire un beau bonjour a nos amis de la Belgique, Calgary and oui ici même a Gatineau!! xo) and the experience was great, you get to see the COBA temple which you can still climb (amazing); you get to learn some of the history behind the Mayan culture, you get to zipline over a lagoon with crocodiles...yikes...you 'rappel' down into a cenote (very nice!!), you experience a 'shaman' purification, you get to eat mayan culture food and meet amazing people! Our tour guide was Melina and she was amazing! She speaks fluent French and English! I would recommend any tour with Melina! (I was scared to do the 'zipline' for the 1st time in my life and in mexico over crocodile lagoon of all places!! But she was patient with me and reassured me...AGAIN a big thank you to you Melina for making this experience one that I will never forget! Bisous)
Tanya & Raymond

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest upgrading to the ClubPremium to ensure you get a renovated room.
7  Thank TanyaRaymond

TanyaRaymond: Many thanks for your contact trough Tripadvisor, and your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort., We would like to apologize for the non-intentional inconveniences you had during your stay at the Hotel. We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make your vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My advise to you is have your travel agent upgrade you to premium! After our first night not realizing we had to pay for room service, coffee pot broken (NO COFFEE), internet extra charge, and restaurant restrictions, I met with guest services and inquired about upgrading with the coupon Barceló supplied. Perfect! Our room was perfect (except shower drain flooding the toilet area), room service when we were lazy, variety of restaurant options and internet (needed to work each morning). Then 24 hours later, I get a call from guest services that they want another $250 because they made a mistake with their own coupon. After going to the front desk and complaining, Barceló agreed to forget the additional expense. They day before checkout, we go to the front desk to pay our bill for charges we made to our room and they tell us the woman that made the mistake will have our additional expense out of her wages. To top it off, the woman pleads with me to pay it because it is 1/2 her month pay. Quite honestly, I think this is all intensional! It would be very unfortunate if Barceló treated their employees this way and very unprofessional that they made this my problem. I WILL NOT RETURN!

Room Tip: Upgrade with your travel agent!
6  Thank Diane K
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Diane K, Many thanks for your comments, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused but glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us. Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to the barcelo maya beach in january 2014, it was recently renovated very nice hotel, super friendly staff, beach was clean and free of rocks. Our room was about 3 minutes from the beach, and right next to the pool, both the beach and the pool had plenty of chairs and space so it was never crowded and we didnt have to search for chairs for long. Plenty of trees on the beach to provide shade, there is a theatre on site with different shows every night from songs to circus. There is a mini putt course, small golf course and tennis courts on site. Around the pool area everyday was some groupe games with a fun host. There are multiple restaurants on sites with different themes all are very nice and serve great food, we went to a mexican restaurant, a spanish restaurant and a steakhouse, all were very good with a nice selection of dishes. We loved every minute of our trip.

We Also recommend the ek-balam tour with altournative and the xel-ha/tulum tour from xcaret adventures. Both had very knowledgeable guides and were very well organized. Both tours offer two activities during the day ; ek-balam is half a day at a cenote (undergroud cave filled with crystal clear water where you can swim) followed by a buffet of typical mexican food and then half a day at the mayan ruins of ek-balam wich are gorgeous. Xel-ha/tulum is half a day of snorkling and half a day at the Mayan ruins of tulum wich are situated on the beach. The food and drinks are all included at xel-ha.

Very fun trip, cant wait ti go back

Room Tip: some rooms with pool view have a jacuzzi on the balcony
1  Thank Alexandredv
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for spending your last vacations at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort.

We appreciate the time you took to write your impressions,We will be happy to receive you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#72 of 215 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!