“Always a good time at the Barcelo”

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Red Deer, Canada
“Always a good time at the Barcelo”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is my 3rd year in a row at Barcelo Maya beach. Stayed there in late March with my family. The Maya Beach got a recent upgrade and has a real nice 5 star feel to it. They will be upgrading the Caribe next. The workers at the resort are great. Over the years, I have not had one negative experience with any of the staff. One very subtle aspect of this resort is that security and safety is amazing. Last year, my 15 year old daughter went running and got dehydrated and felt very dizzy. She asked for assistance from a bartender at a snack bar and they took her to medical. When we started looking for her, other staff new exactly where she was. They didn't even charge us at the medical clinic. It's amazing how important this stuff is when it happens to you. Thank you Barcelo for the wonderful times over the years.

2 Thank John I
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
John I; We want to thank you for your comments regarding your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach, your opinion is really important for us and we are happy to know that our staff filled your expectative, our priority is to offer you the best service.

Please accept our sincere thanks for your continued patronage. it will be our pleasure to host you once again here at Barcelo Maya Beach.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
stratford
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our family trip to Barcelo Maya Beach was a roller coaster ride of emotions. Way too much to write, so I will use point form.

Airline - Air Canada. Will never fly with them again! Terrible service on Rouge. Bad flight communication. Was on hold for over 2 hours on the evening of our flight to inquire why our flight was cancelled. No one responded and we drove to airport with much anxiety worried about losing our trip with 8 people. It all worked out in the end, however terrible communication!

Hotel check in - Very occomodating, fast, friendly service.

Rooms - 3 rooms for 6 teenagers and 2 adults. All double beds. No water in sight from a window! Ocean view was requested. My Girlfriend and I sleep on a Queen bed in our own house. Hard to except spending thousands to share a double bed. Not 1 solid nights sleep! Kids were all fine with this however. Fridge was routinely kept stocked with cold cans of beer and bottles of pop. Rooms were very clean and maid every day very nicely. A/C worked well and plenty of selection on TV. Showers were hot with plenty of pressure. Security safe provided free of charge was a nice benefit.

Pools and Beach - Beautiful, Beautiful!

Food and Beverage - Mostly weak liquor but decent beer (corona). Servers were adequate, some kid of snotty, some with a smile. Food was better than average, but became repetative. Spanish A'lacart was superior to the Mexican which was not very good! Omelettes were delicious every morning. There was lots of selection for Breaky.

Grounds - Very nice well manaquered. Lots of cosmetic maintenance happening at all times.

Entertainment - Better than most resorts I have been to. Excellent venue with great service. (2 fancy bars).

Security - Way over done! I am a Police Hater. Come from a smaller city that is way over populated with police officers constantly pulling drivers over for speeding, or not signalling correctly, headlight out blah, blah, blah..... And not to mention way over paid on our tax dollars! The last thing I want is to spent thousands of dollars to be on a nice tropical resort under the servaillance of some egotistic power tripping security guards. We had three 17 yr old boys with us on this vacation. Just shy of there 18th birthdays. Little did I know it would be a huge proplem for us if they consumed alchohol (apparently 18 is the legal age in Mexico, BS). We all walked down 5th ave. in Playa Del Carmen with a can of beer without a problem. They were charged as adults to stay at this resort, but given children bracelets, Along with dozens of other 17 yr olds from various countries. It was no problem to be seen with a drink, but to be served was not going to happen by most employees. However, some did. And security seems to be eyeballing any adult who might just happen to pass a beer to any minor. As a matter of fact, a security guy stood right at the end of our table one evening watching 6 adults enjoy beverages beside 2 minors that occompanied us. He would not leave until we asked him if there was a problem. Then he proceeded to watch from a greater distance.

The big trap of the whole resort is the Jaguar Disco. Full every night of mostly young partying adulescents. Cant get in without an adult bracelet. So, the mission for minors is to somehow aquire the proper coloured bracelet. All kinds of scheming is evident at this resort to get into that damned disco. It all backfired on 1 of the 17yr olds with us, as he was caught with a tampered bracelet that was given to him. The Charge? The price of 1 nights hotel room (250.00 US). I would totally understand this charge, if he was cheating a service or had not been a payed customer of the resort, but this friend of our children had paid the exact same amount of dollars to visit this resort as I did (as an adult). Plus now an additional 250. And he was not being charged with under age drinking by any police officer. It was simply a charge by the hotel management who were extremely ignorant with us and would not compromise. I visited the Jaguar the next night to witness this circus act, and not to my surprise, security guy's were grabbing at wrist bands and hauling kids to the lobby one after another if they didn't of course, get away by running. Terrible, Terrible set up. Mean while, other kids who could not get in, would just sit near the front entrance drinking anyway without harassment.
Im not trying to promote underage drinking by any means. But I wasn't born yesterday!
I understand the drinking laws of our province (Ont.), However, a big part of a Carribean vacation, especially a resort, is alchohol. Had I known what I know now about (atleast this part of mexico) I would have never taken three 17yrs olds for the same price as a 44yr old.
So my biggest piece of advise would be; if your taking 16 or 17yr olds on your vacation, DONT go to Barcelo Maya Beach Resort! It may cost you some unjustified extra money.

Other than that, only minor negatives. Still had a great time! Just a sour taste about the fine.

Surprise, Surprise! The boys are going to yet another high school party tonight. Probably a lot less stressfull on them than a vacation to Barcelo Maya Beach!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank travalinman
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear travalinman:

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions, we are glad you and your family enjoyed many aspects of the property and Service.

Concerning the drinking age, I would like to explain that while we do understand that at the age of 17 adolescents can be considered grown up and in certain situations they are allowed to drink alcohol. I must however state that in Mexico the legal drinking age is 18 years old. As a responsable company in Mexico we are obligated and committed to enforcing this law, this for many different reasons not least of all our civil responsability, for the 7000 guests in our resort. As is stated on the registration card and the right to accomodation regulations posted in every room, misuse of bracelets does carry a fine.

I can however let you know that we do understand that choosing a resort, if you are travelling with teenagers can be difficult. For this reason our Caribe Hotel is undergoing a multi million dollar renovation this year, which will include many exciting new activities for familes and teens, such as an Adventure Water park with flow rider surf pools, a Teen Disco, and a completely revamped Sports Bar with Ten Pin Bowling and Arcade style games. Also our mini golf will be reconstructed. Renovations will be completed this year and Barcelo Maya Caribe will open in December.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.

We look forward to serving you again in the future. Best Regards,
Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm probably not the normal Trip Advisor reviewer, because I really consider Barcelo to be my second home, but here goes...
My husband and I just returned from our 15th trip to this beautiful place on April 24th, and I'd hop on a plane and go back tomorrow if the checkbook allowed. We have stayed at a couple of other resorts in the area over the years, but it all comes down to the beach for us, and Barcelo's beach can't be beat. Last year, we booked a trip after the unexpected death of our daughter, just to get away, but my husband ended up in the hospital in Playa Del Carmen the morning after we arrived, and we were forced to fly home before he even got to see the beach. THIS year, we knew that whatever awaited us would be better than last year, and it turned out to be our best trip ever.
We've stayed in all five sections of Barcelo, but were excited to check out the new renovations in the Beach section, and they are beautiful! Even better was the surprise upgrade to one of the recently renovated Junior Suites, complete with champagne and a jacuzzi on the balcony... life doesn't get much better than sitting in the jacuzzi with a drink after the evening show, and listening to the wind blow through the palm fronds. We were especially excited to be placed in the Tulum building, which is the closest one to my favorite place on the quiet south beach. Our days consisted of getting up early, watching the sunrise from the beach, and taking in the surf and bird sounds from our favorite palapa. We'd head up for breakfast in the newly renovated Beach buffet, and were very impressed with all the selection. Finding chocolate covered strawberries in the kiddie section of the buffet made my morning... also loved the option of eating outside during this peaceful time of the morning. We thought we would miss eating in the open air buffet, and actually went next door to the Caribe buffet for dinner one night to check it out. The atmosphere there is still wonderful, but honestly, the Beach buffet has a much better selection of items... almost seemed like a mini-version of the Palace buffet. After breakfast, it was back to the palapa for a rough day of reading, snorkeling, and people watching. We hit the jackpot with the weather on this trip... low humidity, and cooler temps. We were even able to sleep with our balcony doors open, and it was so great waking up to the sound of the birds every morning. We ate all of our lunches at the Rancho Grande beach buffet, and again felt lucky to always snag a table on the deck outside... such a great place to take in the beach view! My husband was excited to spot lots of cool things during his snorkeling time, including a 5 ft. ray, and sea turtles that allowed him to swim with and even touch them... way cool. We enjoyed checking out the Mexican and the Spanish restaurants, and the service and food in both were great. Be sure and get the Mexican sampler as an appetizer at the Mexican restaurant... yum! After dinner, we would stroll the grounds, relax in the hammocks by the pools, or people watch in the beautiful lobby until it was time for the theater shows. We enjoyed a couple of new shows we hadn't seen in previous trips... Barcelo Variety, and the circus show. It's always fun to get a drink, and end the day at one of the shows. The outdoor area off the lobby bar looks like a fun place to spend some time too, although we didn't get there this trip... all lit up in pink and white chairs and lights... you can't miss it! One thing we did this trip which we normally don't do is to have some beach shots taken by the resort photographer, and we're happy we did. The cost was 40.00 for a half hour session, and we were able to pick and choose the photos we wanted for 15.00 each... a great set of memories to bring home. We're already looking forward to next year's trip, and although we consider going somewhere new every year, I know we'll be back to Barcelo. I will say that this is not the resort for you if you are high maintenance, or if you are not aware that it is in Mexico... they speak Spanish there, and we are visitors in THEIR country. Sorry, my pet peeve is people complaining on here about how poor the employee's English is. These are probably the same people who complain when Spanish-speaking people come to the US, and don't attempt to speak English... can't have it both ways, folks. Getting off my soapbox now. Barcelo IS the place for you if you love beautiful, turquoise water, lush, tropical grounds, warm, hard-working people, and a laid-back, relaxing vacation. Thank you, Barcelo, for another memorable trip. We'll see you next year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gunnarsmom
gunnarsmom; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services.
We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stay and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

It will be our pleasure to host you once again here at Barcelo Maya Beach. Best regareds,
Barrie, Canadá
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at the Barceló Maya Beach from April 17 to 24, Coba building room 2223.
The room was nice and clean only complaint would be that the sheets don't fit the king size bed, I requested them changed but they were all the same with no elastics in corners. Everything else was great, beach was beautiful we saw large fish, sting rays and even a very large turtle on our last day. There was one day when we could smell a sulphur like smell coming from water but not sure what causes it.
We took the tractor around to the Mexican Plaza to do a little shopping and to see other resorts of the Barceló.
We went to Playa del Carmen on the colectivo which cost about 3 dollars and had no issues until we had lunch at a restaurant by the beach and the waiter tried to change the prices on us and charge for beers we never drank. I speak Spanish and gave him a piece of my mind , he was also including a 15% tip to our bill disguised as a tax. Also be aware of the money exchange, make sure you have Mexican pesos before you pay. The merchants on the street can be very pushy and rude, we will probably not go back to 5th street in Playa because of this.
Again it helped that I spoke the language because it seems that here they only know the basic English.
Went to Chichen Itza on tour and it was awesome, a bit of a long drive but recommended.
We also did the ATV, zip line and cenotes tour and I highly recommend you pay the 15 dollars for the atv insurance since the lady in front of us rolled it on top of her. She was ok!

Overall it was a great vacation at the Barceló Beach and would definatelly go back soon enough.

Room Tip: Coba near the pool and the beach
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank irelandf
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
irelandf; Thank you for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach and your comments, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and take your time to share it with the Tripadvisor users.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Well.....we have been back from our vacation for quite sometime now...seems like forever!!!...I sooo miss the wonderful weather. Overall it was a good experience...I always say, if you go with great friends, family, you can make a good vacation anywhere. The weather was first rate...we were there for a family wedding from March 18 - 25. It was not a good first impression when we got there....the front desk needs a LOT of help....it was sooooo slow, painful after a long flight. The bride had booked rooms ahead of time, requesting we all stay in the same building...oh my word....we were all over the place. People in different buildings....people who requested a room on the main floor were given rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors, and vice versa. This was eventually all fixable....but not a good start. The grounds are HUGE....we had a lot of guests complain about how difficult it is to find your family and friends because it is so huge....while this can be a good thing, the group spent a lot of time looking for each other in the heat.

The grounds are beautiful!!!....Very well kept and the people work very hard at their job. The food was basic food....always something yummy to eat. The most disappointing thing about the wedding was that the wedding party was booked in to an a la carte for dinner after the wedding. We all came in our wedding attire and they would not let us in!!!.... Oh my word....and it was because the groom and his attendants were in shorts. These were dress shorts....worn with dress shirts and ties....it was something that you would expect and I have often seen at beach weddings. We were very disappointed and certainly put a downer on the day....this should be revamped by management...it made an otherwise perfect day rather crummy.....they were not apologetic, they did not even crack a smile, did not even explain, except to say that shorts were not allowed and they would not let us in!!!

.....Soooo....overall...it was still a good vacation, but I would not recommend it for a large group at all!!! ....Ohhhhh one more thing....everything is VERY expensive on the resort....but I guess unless you are going to Cuba....that is what you would expect.

Room Tip: Every building is close to something!!!....We like to have a room on 2nd floor or above because of a...
2 Thank it'smeCanada
it'smeCanada; First I would like to thank your for choosing Barceló Maya Beach and the time you have taken to share your impressions with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of your visit to our resort.

We really apologize that your recent visit was not perfect, the comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services.

Barceló Hotels & resorts main goal is to go over the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want you back home totally satisfied and with desire to visit us again, so we would be grateful to have another opportunity to show you our true level of service, from which we want to build a reputation.

We look forward to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,
Saint Georges, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First of all, let me tell you about Canjet. It's the worst airline I have ever travelled on. Never again.

Barcelo is an excellent hotel. The only bad thing about is the Palapas. There are none on the beach. I normally stay at the beach all day long but this hotel do not have Palapas at the beach.

The food was excellent and the animation very good at the pool.

Room Tip: If you can, select a room at Coba. It's better than Tulum
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ClaudeReg: Many thanks for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach and the time you have taken to share your impressions with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad you ejoyed many aspects of your vacations with us.

We take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services and whenever is possible we are happy to listen and learn.

We look forward to serve you again in the future.
Rainhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Try to keep this short,but lots to tell never wrote on trip advisor before but felt we had to after this vacation. 16th plus time to the Caribbean (Jamaica x2,Dominican x4, St Lucia x1, Barbados x3, done a lot, this is our 6th time to Mexico(stayed previously Bahia Akumel, Iberostar Lindo, Flamenco Xcaret, Princess, and Club Las Velas in Cancun) this resort best we've stay in for families and has something for all groups and ages. Beach is not the best we've come across but its still excellent for snorkelling and swimming bit rocky and 3rd of beach is shingly, Caribe and Maya beach excellent, tropical/colonial shingly,Palace all rocky, sea and pools lovely and warm from 6am everyday,
Kids 14,12, 4 & 3 loved every minute. We stay here for 17 nights got back 12th April. 3x basic rooms which we booked in the Caribe very good all round well presented, very clean and tidy with plasma tv spot on.
Took an up grade to the newly refurbished corner suites in the Maya Beach this was a fantastic room/suite got adjoining room for 14 & 12 year old as well. If you get a chance to view take a look.(room 3312 & 11 block)
We eat most of the time in the main Tropical/Colonial restaurants service excellent, we like surroundings and ambiance better than the Caribe and Beach although these are excellent restaurants in themselves.
We always like to try different hotels although we have stay in some excellent ones around the Caribbean but best recommendation I can give to the Barcelo is that we will be coming back here soon, you wont be disappointed booking any of the 5 hotels on this resort you can freely mix in between each and everyone no problems.
Take conecto (bus) to playa carman $3 per person nice day shopping beach pure white sand.
If you go to Xplor get there early do zip wire 1st, fantastic day out for kids & adults.
Trip to Xcaret a must, excellent, take disposable camera with you for swimming in underwater caves fantastic experience for all our kids.
Didn't get out much of an evening, was to tired by 8pm with all the kids, we where out from 5.30am at beach or pool but what we did see of evening entertainment was OK.
Not many of us british in this resort but don't let that put you of. US,Canadians,french,Eastern European,Mexicans all friendly long as you mix,no problem.
Fantastic holiday going back soon.

3 Thank jachlem64
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
jachlem64; Many thanks for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach and the time you have taken to share your impressions with the Tripadvisor users.

We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us, we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services, and we are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations, we continue improving our services to create unforgettable experiences.

We will be pleased to serve you and your family again in the future. Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,838 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!