“Not the same Barcelo - Food not great, and MAJOR CONSTRUCTION - STAY HOME..”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Bay Roberts, Canada
“Not the same Barcelo - Food not great, and MAJOR CONSTRUCTION - STAY HOME..”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We are regular patrons of Barcelo, particularly Barcelo Maya Beach, we have become friends with some of the staff as we see some of the same faces, which makes for a fun vacation. This time however, there was a major ....huge...issue. IT WAS THE CONSTRUCTION at the Barcelo Maya Caribe....we got informed 1 day before departure of "enhancements", when it was in fact...a complete tear down and rebuilding of the hotel and grounds. From approximately 7am to 8pm or later every night, we were inundated with noise from construction. There was no escaping it, despite the CANVAS wall they had erected, really do not know what they expected that wall to do!!!!...Made for a very noisy....and unpleasant vacation.

The food was another story, loved the breakfast buffer.....but the lunch and dinner buffetts left a lot to be desired....when one goes to Mexico, it would be nice to see some MEXICAN FOOD....such as casadilla's, taco's. burrito's, ....they did have what they referred to as theme nights.....such as Italian....Spanish....French...and so on....but these nights were simply :(inundated with sea food....One would think when you mention Italian night.....Lasagna.....or pasta would be the main dishes??? Or french onion soup on French night no??? Three nites out of the 7 we spent there, we did not eat dinner at all.....:(, We are not picky eaters, but can only say that the food was ......AWFUL...

This was our 4th trip in a 3 year period, and this was the one, where I can say, not sure I will go back there again....I was not happy about not being told about the construction, and the food....well lost 4lbs .....due to not having lunch or dinner on most days....

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded room,....or updated room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 156BethM
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
156BethM; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services.
We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, however we would like to apologize because this time we were not up to the standards you would have liked.

We regret the inconveniences caused due to the information you received previous to your arrival. We had advised our travel partners in March that Barceló Maya Caribe hotel would be closing for renovations in May of this year and all our regular services are functioning as normal.

Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

We remain at your services.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed there for 8 days in Junior suite that apparently was renovated. Still, the water did not drain in the shower and leaked everywhere. We had to put towels on the floors every time after shower in order to stop the leaks from spreading into the room. The maintenance could not fix it. For more then $250/night I expect the room to be cleaned every day. Apparently the hotel does not think so. If I did not call for cleaning the room was not cleaned.
The acoustics are bad. When the room above flushes the toilet it sounds like it's in your room. The noise from the hallway is very strong.
We met some guests that got the regular room and we were fed horror stories about not working AC, bad smells in the rooms and rude service.
Hotel has about 5 restaurants besides the buffet that was not good. But it was very hard to get reservations into these restaurants.
The service was not attentive and not really friendly. It looked that the preference was given more to Spanish speaking guests.
At some point we we were not allowed to enter the buffet for lunch because we came from the pool with our bathing suits and shirts covering them, the staff claimed that they looked too damp for them.
I am sure that for this kind of money there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: If you decide to come make sure to stay only in a renovated room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Baruch G
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Baruch G; Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the non intentional inconveniences in your room have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.

Guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us and a useful tool that show us the areas that we need to improve.

I am sorry that we were not able to find a suitable compensation for you on this occasion, our main goal is to make sure that all our guests leave with wonderful memories of their stay here and wanting to return.

We will be happy to have the opportunity to host you again one day with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.

We remain at your service.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I traveled to Barcelo Maya Beach with a large group for a family member's wedding in January. We had some issues checking in, as they had complications sorting out who was in which hotel (between Beach and Caribe). When they finally figured out where we should be, our room wasn't ready.
Aside from the issues at check-in, we had a very nice time. The room and the resort were clean. The pools and beach were gorgeous. It was easy to find a lounger or a hammock in the shade or in the sun. The serving staff was attentive and friendly. I wasn't crazy about the food at the buffet after the 3rd day, but there was always lots of fruits and vegetables and the A la Carte was really good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gdwas
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
gdwas; Many thanks for your comments, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused but glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us. Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriously and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

we remain at your service.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at this resort to attend our niece's wedding. Perhaps we were disappointed with Barcelo Maya as we transferred to it after two glorious weeks at Dreams Tulum. We had much to compare.

At Barcelo we found that the staff were not engaging with visitors so.did not give a warm welcome feel. They were not rude at all but did not attempt to enhance the basic customer service.

Only had 2 a'la carte restaurants for which you were limited to a number of reservations only. The main buffet looked impressive and everything had an amazing presentation but the quality and flavour left much to be desired.

I absolutely need to mention their house white wine actually tasted like watered down Tequila!! On a couple of different days I tried it thinking that the first one was a mistake. Nope not a mistake just horrible.

The activity team were very impersonal and I found that their pool aerobics class each day had too much touching of strangers for my liking.

The resort was good for families with small children as it has a nice splash pad and playground.

The rooms were clean and adequate for our stay.

We noticed that resort often had large groups come in for the day so made it a challenge with service.

Our 26 yr old daughter and son-in-law thought the resort was very good but they have not had as many all-inclusives to compare.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Hvnahoot
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hvnahoot; Thank you for sharing your impressions of Barceló Maya Beach regarding your stay with us, I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

We will be happy to receive you again one day with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.

Best regards,
Three Rivers, Michigan
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was our second time at the Barcelo Maya Beach and we absolutely love it and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff and food are wonderful. The pools and beach are gorgeous! Plenty to do for everyone, including two teenagers! My first concern: we were put on the ground floor and I noticed right away one flaw in their sliding doors. To secure the door, you must push up on a security lock, sort of like a vertical dead bolt. We know for a fact that our security lock was in place. We left for dinner and our room was broken into and some personal items were stolen. Of course, the hotel is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Lesson learned. NEVER get a room on the ground floor! The second concern I have is this. Our room was cleaned and fresh linens and towels were put in the room. We were waiting for them to finish before entering the room. About 30 minutes later there was a knock on the door. We didn't answer so, the maids used their key cards and just walked in. They were startled to see us standing there and we asked them what they wanted. They asked us if we wanted fresh towels and we told them that our room was JUST cleaned. They hesitated and just turned around and walked out. I see a HUGE concern with this and I believe they were the ones unlocking the sliding doors, just my opinion but this happened twice while we were there. We notified the front desk and security. No follow up was done after that. I know this can happen anywhere at any time, however, just use that safe and keep everything in it! Use locks on your suitcases, never leave them opened. With this being said, would we stay at the Barcelo Maya Beach again? YES! On a side note not related: do NOT book the free trip to Lapis Jewelry Factory and the shopping excursion to downtown Playa Del Carmin! Very scary!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor. I will NEVER have another ground floor room at any hotel. They do have elevators...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Richard J
Richard J; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services.

We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, however would like to apologize for the factors that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your Vacation this time.

I will be happy to take your remarks into consideration as a means to improve our services.

We look forward to receiving you again with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.

Once again many thanks for sharing your comments.

Warm regards
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I read the reviews before we went and wasn't sure if we'd like it. I agree with the person who asked what are all these people complaining about! I think this resort is great value for the money. We went with a group of 54 for spring break and had to keep everyone from tweens, teens and parents happy. I think Barcelo exceeded our expectations.
The resort is beautiful and well maintained. The beach is amazing and goes on forever. You can find beautiful clear water and places to snorkel. There's a variety of pools, including everything from child oriented, party oriented, to adult. If you want entertainment, you can find it.
As for the food... It isn't gourmet, but it's pretty good. Sometimes you need to get a bit creative. If you see a guy cooking up steak for fajitas, but you don't want a fajitas, you can just ask him to cook up some meat to your liking (as long as there isn't a huge line.) I think they do an amazing job. There's always fresh fruit, fresh squeezed juice, you can get eggs to order at breakfast and there's enough variety to eat something different everyday.
Alcohol... if you're a white wine drinker, you will probably be disappointed, but if your desperate for something better, take a cab into Peurto Adventuras and buy some. Also, the liquor options are better if you upgrade to the concierge package (I think that's what they call it here), but it still isn't TOP shelf.
If you're picky about top shelf liquor and gourmet meals, there are plenty of more expensive resorts that offer it.
One last thing, we loved the 24 hour bar with the island! We met there every night! And, we only went to a couple of the specialty restaurants and they were okay. Service was on the slow side and you can only seat 4-6 at a table. This was difficult for our dinner group of 10.
Overall, we would come back here again!

Room Tip: We were in the renovated rooms at the beaches. The other rooms were fine too. None of the rooms at...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christina N
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Chrisnelswon; We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad we have exceeded your expectations and fully enjoyed your vacations with us.

We also take this opportunity to inform you that Barceló Maya Caribe our sister hotel is preparing new surprises for next year.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Greetings,
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I heard someone say to expect Americanized bland buffet food. What I got instead was the freshest fruit and vegetables, light and lean fare, wonderful variety and even authentically unique dishes.

First meal there, I was drawn to the beautiful salad display. Many acrylic cups of varying sizes contained fresh small servings of special lettuces in delightful oils. I couldn't quite tell, but I think my favorite was a green oil, perhaps olive oil seasoned with cilantro? The little salads were garnished with grapes or strawberries or slivered almonds. Cream dressings were available too.

Papaya and melons were available everyday...tasted like they were freshly picked at peak ripeness.

I have to do gluten free, so I never tried the huge assortment of dinner rolls and breads.

The drinks (non-alcoholic) were lightly sweetened, so the taste of the fruit was the star of the show. My fave was the hibiscus water. They also provided orchata, tangerine water and other varieties.

Breakfasts featured yogurts, fruits, breads and the like, as well as hot dishes.

Dinners had themes; one night was Brazil night, another featured Mexico and so on. The meats were cooked to perfection. The side dishes were unique, such as the caramelized plantains or the chorizo and potatoes...a true Mexican dish that you're not likely to find in a US Mexican restaurant.

When the main buffet was closed, the snack bar on the beach was open with plenty to fill up your tummy. There were hamburgers and french fries available, but frankly those items never sounded good to me. I was after the fresh fresh produce and the unusual pairings such as cooked lentils and the sweet and savory sauces that accompanied them.

If you don't drink, ask for traditional alcoholic drinks without alcohol, and see what happens. My friend and I drank a pond's worth of virgin mojitos, and they were to die for.

Oh I almost forgot the ceviche. Seafood 'cooked' in lime juice. Speaking of seafood, you will not get better fish or shrimp. Melt in your mouth delicious.

Now that I've gone on and on about the food, let me discuss the other amenities. My trip was from June 13 to 17th. I read other reviews that said towels were a problem, but they weren't when I was there.

Also, the room was always tidied up and left alone when we got back.

The whole place did have slow-crawling miniscule millipedes wandering about; that is simply a product of living in the tropics. Someone had the job of regularly sweeping the floors all over the place to get rid of them.

I found the structure to be well maintained if not brand new. Completely adequate fixtures. The double room that we had did feature a vented bathroom door...so it seemed a little less private.

The main lobby bathrooms, bars and restaurants were extremely well appointed and smacked of fine detail and expense. Beautiful appliances and floors, well lit, well maintained etc.

Extremely delightful people. 99% of the people we interacted with were polite, friendly, helpful and engaging.

The distances between rooms and beach, beach and events, rooms and pool, rooms and buffet etc were all manageable five minute or so walks. The breeze down by the ocean was perfect, not that the hotel has any control over that!

The pools were beautiful and sparkling clean.

There were plentiful activities available for anyone interested in variety. Giant chess game, basketball court, ping pong, swimming with dolphins, craft area, pool games, DJ by the pool, and so on. Personally, I read by the beach and enjoyed having entire swaths of sand completely to myself. The water was perfect, blue and warm. The sand was white and great for sculpting. I also found tide pools and made friends with a pelican.

The wildlife was unexpected and delightful too. Pelicans, iguanas, Great Kiskadee birds, dolphins, crabs, snails, crawfish etc. Enough to peak an amateur naturalist's interest.

Additionally there were live shows every night. One night was movie night, but otherwise there were live bands, dancing shows and entertainment.

I also got to experience the U Spa on site. Friendly knowledgeable staff and great services available. I was extremely pleased with my hair.

Wifi was available at a cost, but it wasn't as expensive as I was expecting. I paid 33$ for four days, and it was worth it, as my phone had zero signal.

One big drawback was the enthusiasm and noise of some of the guests...one set partied all night long in the hallway. There is not a lot of sound insulation in the rooms, if any.

Another night the revelers came back at 3:30am and continued their fiesta above our room. A call to the front desk solved that eventually.

All in all, I have no complaints about the hotel itself. The overall resort was simply amazing. I would definitely recommend to anyone interested in visiting there. Plenty to do for kids as well, though I didn't travel with mine this time around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sahmofsix
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
sahmofsix; We appreciate the time you have taken to share your impressions of your experience at Barcleó Maya Beach with the Tripadvisor network.

We are continually improving our services to create unforgetable experiences and achieve our goals of services and quality.

We look forward to hosting you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!