“Expensive & Average”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Expensive & Average”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at the Barceló Mayo Beach in early April with a group of families celebrating our kid’s high school graduation. Our family had 2 premium rooms and we were there for a week so our bill was about $10,000 US. The property is beautiful and in great condition. But I would say the hotel is run by a Spanish company but geared towards Americans. As such they don’t understand that Americans are used to free WIFI even at budget hotels, at Barceló only one person could be on the WIFI per room at a time, not good when you have 2-3 teenagers and 2 adults. Also the satellite TV system is Mexican, so don’t try to watch the NCAA tournament, it is not going to happen, soccer yes, baseball some, the rest of American sports no.
The refrigerators don’t keep anything cold, just slightly cool; it is a Mexican thing I guess. They also only gave most of the people in our group one room key per room, is that is a Spanish thing? Or is it a cheap hotel thing? I was at the front desk and a lady (another guest) said you mean I am spending $5,000 for the room for the week and I only get one key?
The hotel must run on a Spanish software system as it seemed to take forever to convert dollars to pesos if you asked for anything in dollars. The front desk was slow as all get out, probably a bad software or hardware thing. The hotel audit staff seemed to be going through the receipts looking for something under the front desk almost every time I was there. Time to get new software I think!
They don’t recycle anything that I could see, all that bottled water and no recycling; I guess that is a Mexican thing. Sun Screen, potato chips etc., cost an arm and a leg, I think the sun screen cost us $25 per bottle, chips $11 per bag. They were tearing up the mini golf course and the basketball courts while we were there. The buffet food was about the same as an “Old Country Buffet”. Several of the restaurants had really bad food and several of the restaurants had very good food. The staff worked their butts off to be great and fast most of the time. My wife and oldest daughter were sick for 2-3 weeks after we got back, we think it was the frozen drink mixers at the pool side bars, they probably aren’t washed very often. I probably don’t have to worry about going to Mexico and an all-inclusive for a while!

Room Tip: Only 1 WIFI user at a time per room! Pool side rooms & Gulf side rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank VacationGuy20014
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
VacationGuy20014; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions, we are glad you and your family enjoyed many aspects of the property and service.

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

We will certinaly take on board your comments about WiFi, our mini fridges and room keys to see how we can improve in these areas.

I would like to let you know that we are certainly committed in doing our part for the environment: I am happy to share a few of our efforts on this front.

We have a full recycling program for all types or PET, cardboard and paper, glass, building materials and organic materials, we also have a company that picks up and treats non-recyclable materials, like used oil, paint products, heavy metals and bateries etc. We have LED lighting throughout the hotel.

Our air conditioning chillers have heat exchangers, so the same energy that cools one systems water, preheats the hot water for another system, thus reducing energy use, We have our own water treatment plant, where our residual water undergoes biological processes and once clean, is reused for watering the gardens where it naturally filters back into the fresh water system.

We also use only biodegradable products for cleaning. We actively participate in the Turtle Nesting Program each year.

Of course all of the systems are strictly controlled and in line with local, state and federal legislation.

We adhere to the strict Earthcheck program and are certified for the last 8 years with their gold standard. Earthcheck ia an annual international standardization program for managing our environment.

We are also audited annually as part of the Cristal Check Safety First programs not only for Eco Check – their environment program, but also Food Check – food and beverage preparation and handling hygeine program, and Room Check, safety and hygiene in hotel rooms, I am happy to share that we consistently score above the 95 percentile in these programs.

Cristal also audit us on many other systems such as Fire, Safety, Crisis, Pool and Water, and I would like to assure you that the health and safety of our guests is paramount in our search for excellence.

I can let you know that we have guests of many different tongues, and our standard TV programming includes English, Spanish, Italian, French and Russian. For special sporting events we are more than happy to accomodate if we receive a request from our guests. Where sports are concerned I would also like to share some very exciting news with you – the area that you mention that was undergoing refurbishment, will reopen on December this year and as well as hosting a water park and teen disco for the kids, a static wave surfrider, two new speciality restaurants and a commercial plaza, it will also have a 24 hour sports bar with bowling alley and theatre with high definition huge screen.

Once again many thanks for your comments and for allowing us this space to share our resort with you, please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I travel a lot, all around the world and have been to several all inclusive resorts and cruises.

We arrived slightly early with a 2 month old hungry and very hot baby and the hotel front staff where completely unaccommodating and not helpful. We had to go back twice to ask where to sit in air conditioning with our baby and their only suggestion to my wife was to nurse the baby at the lobby bar (as the buffet was closed). Or for $800USD we would have gotten upgraded to include the amenities for the adjoining properties.

Worst part was, it turns out that the room was available.

This is definitely a nickle and dime type place... the first giveaway is the $2000 worth of "credits" they give you in the form of coupons to thing you normally would not spend money on, and internet access is not included but an additional $50US/week/person.

As an all inclusive you only get accesses to the a la cart restaurants 4 nights, 3 of which are to the Mexican one, there is only one buffet with limited hours (unless you want to spend an additional upgrade). The decor is drab and motel like at best.

Room Tip: Go to another resort
8 Thank WarrenDenG
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
WarrenDenG; Thank you so much for sharing your impressions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I would like to apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your stay, especially your comments regarding the service and will of our staff, we will certainly use this information to improve our attention to all our guests.

Guest feedback, both negative and positive, are very important for us and are a useful tool to improve our services.

We look forward to have the opportunity to host you again and show you the services from which we have built our reputation.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently returned from a 5 day trip for a group of 18 year old high school graduates and their families. There were over 50 in our group ranging in age from 4 to 75. We arrived quite early on a Sunday and they checked us in and held our luggage until the rooms were ready. This is why it is a good idea to take swim suits in your carry on because we saw other people searching through their luggage for their suits. We were able to use the pool, beach and restaurants and when we went to our rooms, our luggage was there waiting for us. Someone from the front desk called up to our rooms a couple of times to check on us and see if everything was satisfactory. Our room was a little warm and I told them so and someone was checking the air conditioner within 20 minutes. Everyone on staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The swim up bar was probably the favorite spot for most of our group, but those of us who wanted to stare at the ocean and listen to the waves were able to do that as well. It wasn't overly crowded anywhere we went. The food was good and the service was really good. We didn't leave the resort because there was plenty to keep us busy for the 5 days. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We really did not spend very much time in the room at all. We just got a regular room but some chos...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ourfamilyof4_4-fun
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
ourfamilyof4_4-fun; Thank you for contacting us trough Tripadvisor and share your comments about your experiences at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are happy that you and your group have enjoyed the property and services.

It will be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We returned to the Barcelo May Beach on June 21-28, 2014 after many years and here is some feedback, positive, honest and need for improvement I would like to share: firstly it's been newly renovated so that was very nice, it felt like a brand new resort I have not yet experienced although we've been there before.The people are mostly pretty friendly and helpful, the weather was so hot and it's on a beautiful part of the beach and it's private so it feels safe and not many interruptions by people selling items. It's really a wonderful beautiful tropical heaven but here were a few things that could be improved. The food never really seemed to stay warm under the heating lamps on the buffet, it always seemed to be only just warm or slightly cold, there are only 2 free a la carte restaurants and the other ones have an additional charge ($25 USD I think). We didn't like the classical music coming from the speakers located all over the property (it just didn't seem to fit with the breezey casual tropical environment). Two days in a row, we returned late afternoon, early evening to see our room was not made up and we had to call to request housekeeping service. The evening entertainment used to be so good! Now it was not so good!!..we were bored and thought it catered to people with young kids. When checking out I was told by (Julian on the front desk) the amount for the room charges due and I paid them. I returned the card keys, towel keys and gave my visa. I waited for my receipt to see what had been charged on my visa and he said we were done. When I asked for a copy of my room charges receipt he walked away rolling his eyes...I thought that was so weird?! Isn't that kind of normal to ask for a copy of your room charges?, I had no idea that was an inconvenience...Overall we did have a great vacation, but will stay at a different resort next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Adventurous71
Adventurous71; First of all I would like to thank you for returning to Barceló Maya Beach Resort and spend your vacations with us, also I would like to apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your stay this time, especially your comments regarding the attitude of our staff, we will certainly use this information to improve our attention to all our guests.

Concerning a la Carte restaurants we are happy to inform you that our sister hotel Barceló Maya Caribe started a renovation and for next year we are opening 2 more a la carte restaurants.

Topeka, Kansas

THE SETUP
We took our kids to Mexico to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We traveled the week of 6/21 to 6/28 with another family of four. Between us we had three 17 year olds and one 14 year old. This was our 7th time in the Riviera Maya. We’ve stayed at the Riu Playacar once, Club Maeva Tulum once, Grand Palladium once, and Akumal Beach Resort 3 times. We LOVE Akumal Beach Resort…but, since we had the kids with us, we decided to stay at a bigger resort so there would be more ‘activity’ beyond the laid back atmosphere at ABR.

ARRIVAL
We had a direct flight on Frontier Airlines from Kansas City to Cancun that arrived at 10:30AM. After a very quick trip through Customs and the Cancun airport, we arrived at Barcelo Maya Beach Premier at 12:30. Upon arrival at the front desk, they couldn’t find our paperwork for our stay. We had called the day before and knew that we had rooms 2210 and 2211 in the Coba building. Once we told them that, they realized that the reason they couldn’t find our paperwork was because those rooms were an ‘upgrade’ to the Junior Suites…and our paperwork was at the “Premium” desk around the corner. This was a very pleasant surprise. They took us to a separate desk that was much less busy and they treated us very well. And that became our ‘front desk’ for the remainder of our stay.
Since we arrived so early, as anticipated, our rooms were not yet ready. This was no problem as most of us had swim wear in our carry-on bags so we didn’t have to dig through our big luggage for suits. They told us our rooms would be ready in a few hours…so we grabbed some lunch real quick and headed for the beach. After a couple of hours, I went back and got our room keys and the bellman met me at the room with our luggage. We were very pleased with our check-in experience.

THE ROOM
We had one of the newly remodeled Junior Suites that had an ocean view. We were on the 2nd floor. The rooms were great. The deck was very spacious with a private hot tub…but we never used it. Probably would have if it had just been the grownups. But, our minibar was fully stocked…and our A/C worked great the whole time we were there. The shower was really nice, too. I feel like this was the nicest room we have had in our stays in Mexico. And our location couldn’t have been better…almost equal distance to the beach (2 minutes) and the main buffet restaurant.

THE STAFF
We thought the staff at the resort was awesome. I’ve seen reviews on here that talked about the unfriendly housecleaning staff…the rude front desk people…and the unfriendly wait staff at the restaurants. I can tell you…we didn’t experience ANY of that. Everyone we came across was very helpful and cheerful. Our rooms were cleaned to our satisfaction without issue every day. And the folks in the restaurant went out of their way to make us feel pampered and comfortable.

THE BEACH
The beach was great. The resort wasn’t very busy while we were there, so we never had ANY issue finding a spot on the beach to make our home base during the day. We always had 8 chairs in the sun and a few in the shade. No issues. The water was amazing, as usual, and there were lots of places to go out into the water where there was sand and not rocks. Even 50-75 yards off-shore, you’d still be standing in waist deep water with sand under your feet. The snorkeling was good even right off the beach. Our kids also spent a lot of time snorkeling under the pier in the middle of the resort. There were PLENTY of fish to see…and a good variety too. The snorkeling wasn’t “Akumal Bay” good….but, it was perfectly fine and very convenient/easy. We did see one small turtle while we were there…and a couple of sting rays. Some friends were at the “Deluxe” end of the beach, and they saw turtles on 4 different days. So, again…not like the abundant turtles you’d see at Akumal Beach…but, not bad.
There were plenty of kayaks, wave-runners and small sail boats for guests to use as well. We utilized the kayaks almost every day and our friends rented a wave runner for $65 per 30 minutes.

ACTIVITES
We didn’t do much of the ‘on-resort’ activities with the Entertainment staff. It looked like a majority of their things were geared toward a crowd a little older than our children. But, it looked like they always had plenty of participation and everyone was having fun. We could hear them from the beach…but, it wasn’t a distraction. We usually watched the shows in the evening, too. They were pretty standard to what you’d see at most resorts down there. Mostly entertaining…sometimes goofy…but, entertaining.
One morning, we decided to take a quick adventure across the highway to a couple of the Cenotes. There were some, literally, out the front gate and maybe 100 yards down the road. The bellman wanted us to take a cab for $12..but, we just walked and it was only about a 5 minute walk from the lobby of the hotel. We went to Cristalino Cenote first. I think we only paid $6 per person. It had a cool little cliff (maybe 4 or 5 meters) to jump off…and the water was as clear as air. There was a nice little cave that the kids snorkeled through. It was WELL worth the trip/money. Then we walked a little further down the road to the “Garden of Eden” Cenote (Jardin del Eden). This one was a little further off the highway but, again, well worth it. It was also around $5 or $6 per person. This cenote was a little bigger than Cristalino…and the cliff to jump off was a little bit higher. AND, there’s a tree at the top of the cliff that can be climbed out over the water and then jumped off from one of its limbs. THIS jump is pretty high. I’m a horrible judge of height, but, I’d guess it was 25 or 30 feet up…High enough for a thrill.
My wife and I had been to the Tulum Ruins previously about 12 years ago, but the kids wanted to see them, so we took a morning trip down to Tulum. It was only about a 25 minute cab ride. It was VERY hot. The cab driver said it’s usually much cooler in the afternoon. The views are great! We enjoyed it…but, we were very glad to be back in the a/c of the cab on the way back.
The Mexico/Croatia World Cup soccer game was going on while we were there so all 8 of us took a cab(van) into Playa Del Carmen to watch the game. That was a GREAT day! The cab driver dropped us off at 11:30am and asked us when we would be done. We told him we were going to spend the day and eat dinner in PDC and would be done at 9:00PM…he said, “no problema…I will be here”. And he was. We found a restaurant on 5th Avenue in PDC to watch the game. It was a LOT of fun when Mexico scored 3 goals in about 15 minutes. Our kids even joined a ‘spontaneous’ celebration parade as it walked by on the street. After the game, we walked the beach in PDC and then ate dinner at Los Rancheros on the roof top. It was a great experience.
My daughter’s bucket list included ‘swimming with dolphins’…so, since they were right on the resort and very convenient, we paid for the 3 girls to spend 45 minutes with the dolphins. It was a lot of fun and marked something off her bucket list. I felt like it was reasonably priced for what they got to do. (I think around $90)

THE FOOD/DRINKS
Overall, we all thought the food was excellent. We have some finicky eaters in our bunch, but everyone always found plenty of things to choose. The buffets were well done…very nicely packaged and displayed…and always abundant food. We did do 2 of the a la carte restaurants as well…the Italian one and the Mexican one. I say “We”…but, I only went to one of them. Like an idiot…for the first time ever on a Mexico trip, I failed to pack a pair of long pants. I don’t even know why I didn’t. But, the restaurants have a very strict policy that men must wear pants. Our group got a great laugh out of the fact that the Italian restaurant gave me a pair of “loaner” pants to wear while I dined there. The Mexican restaurant’s pants were already being used by another idiot like me who also forgot his pants…so I didn’t get to eat there. The Italian food was good…not earth-shattering. The group that ate Mexican said the same thing. I think you eat at the a la cartes for the ‘experience’ and not necessarily the food. No complaints.

The drinks were easily accessible and plentiful. I ‘think’ having the different bracelet for the Premium package gave us the opportunity to have ‘better’ alcohol? The other grownups in our group like Vodka and they commented frequently that the Stolli (sp?) vodka made the drinks taste better. I’m primarily a Pina Colada and Cervesa drinker…so, I’m not sure there was much of a difference in the Rum. But, it seemed like no matter where we were on the resort, we were never more than a few steps away from a bar…whether at the beach or on the interior of the resort somewhere.

THE RESORT
All 8 of us loved the resort and agreed we would go back. The grounds were kept very clean and tidy. The foliage was beautiful and well groomed. The lay out was really optimal for a resort of that size. The train between the key places on the resort was very nice if you didn’t want to walk from place to place. The shops on the resort provided all of the souvenirs that we needed. There are permanent shops as well as some ‘semi-permanent’ ones set up in the square in the middle of the resort next door. We attended a Catholic Mass on the resort at 5:00 on Sunday which was very nice. The priest was a missionary from Chicago so he did the Mass ‘half-n-half’ between Spanish and English. (he even threw in some Italian)

FINAL THOUGHT
Overall…we were VERY satisfied with our choice of resort and will probably return! We like to try different resorts, but, this one will likely be one to which we’ll go back. We definitely recommend the upgrade to the Junior Suites and/or the Premium package. The Premium desk was a great meeting point for our group. There was always fresh fruit and pastries out for our enjoyment…and there were 3 terminals there with which to access the internet for free.

The 8 of us had a great week. Everyone was great…front desk, premium desk, bellmen, housekeeping, bartenders, wait staff in the buffets…everyone. Very friendly and very helpful. We’re already looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: We recommend selecting one of the Junior Suites that include an ocean view. At least 2nd floor. Ou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank JJewell7
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
JJewell7; Many thanks for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach Resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions of the property and services. We are happy that we have exceeded your expectations and you found our staff to be hard working.

We will be pleased to serve you again in the future.

Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Premium rooms are called ocean front but there are many palm trees, and either a pool or a building between those rooms and the beach. Premium rooms are very nice, new, and updated. Others are dated. Workout area is under a palapa with rusted weights, old equipment and the cardio area is inside an airconditioned room. However, one elliptical machine and 5 treadmills--2 of which didn't work. Many paths and sidewalks to run/walk on the property. Food in the buffet near the lobby was good with lots of variety. Wonderful fruit smoothies at breakfast and lunch. Bus stop right outside property so easy and cheap ride to Playa del Carmen ($3 per person). Taxi was $60 plus. Beach is nice, easy access, uncrowded--many palm trees for shade. Large pool but no "adult only" pool. Construction going on in early July but was not very disruptive. Music plays on speakers constantly at pool area--morning to night--can be annoying when you just want to hear sea breezes. Nothing much for teens to do. Free snorkel equipment but only for an hour and always none available when we checked. Supposed to have beach volleyball but said too windy everyday we were there. Last negative thing is that rooms can be loud as hallways are open and tiled. Overall, would visit hotel again.

Room Tip: Tulum building has no beach view period.
2 Thank JCHSVball
JCHS ball; Thank you so much for sharing your impressions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, especially your comments regarding the status of the equipment at the gym, we will certainly use this information to improve this area.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable, I would also like to assure you that guest feedback is very important for us, and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn.

We remain at your service.
Montréal, Québec
Reviewed 6 July 2014

room is spacious. beach is beautiful. food is good and tequila is great. the only down fall is that not everything is inluded. got to pay for disco, for premium tequila (wwe never had to nowhere else). We are still in room 1166 in the Tulum complexe away from the music and it i fine with us. We still have 5 days to go and we know we will enjoy every minutes. Got a room on the first floor and it has no bug which was our fear. The waiters are very friendly.
One thing that make it special is the napkins. I know it sounds crazy but they smell clean !! Never in any other hotel (and we made lots) has thy smelled so good. Sign of cleanliness.

Room Tip: anywhere will be nearr by walking distance
2 Thank isab2009
isab2009; Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, we are glad you enjoyed many aspects of the property and service, it is only through customer feedback, both negative and positive that are we able to improve our services.

Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!