“Very Good and some very bad experience”

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ottawa, Canada
“Very Good and some very bad experience”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We made our reservation @ 3 months ahead. We made it clear that we want Maya beach because we will be attending a wedding and all the guests were staying at Maya Beach. We got our confirmation and reservation # for Barcelo Maya Beach.
When we arrived at hotel, those bell boys treated us like we were gate crashers. They said our reservation were at an different hotel. I showed them my reservation and it said MAYA BEACH. Unless there is another MAYA BEACH hotel. There's none. They kept telling me there is nothing they can do. It was horrible. I spent hours asking to talk to someone to find out what is going on. It was a losing battle. Finally I went to Colonial where they said I was booked. I went in and same thing.they told me to go to the other hotel because I have no reservation at the Colonial. I went to the 3rd hotel of the day. I spoke to a female rep and she was very polite and courteous. I explained the situation,she made a few phone calls and VIOLA, I got my room at the BARCELO MAYA BEACH HOTEL where I really should be in the first place.

They put us in one of those premium rooms which really did not calm my anger until I went for dinner. The staff was AWESOME.... they were all very polite and will give you whatever you order so long as it is available. For 6 days we were there, I enjoyed every minute. It is a wonderful resort. Beach is clean and again staff were very,very good. Please tip them always. These workers really work hard for you and they can use those tips.please tip them. We did . 3X/day for 6 days.

I want to go back with my grandsons and grown up kids . But I have to think and decide carefully because if the reservation screw up happens again,it will be hard for the kids being dumped from one hotel to the other. It was not pretty at all. Very uncomfortable especially after a long flight.

I am hoping it was a one in a million opppps and will not happen again. But it worries me.

But overall,the hotel is wonderful place to stay for vacation. The shows,excursions,food,drinks,beach and most of all the staff were very polite and helpful.except of course those uniformed boys at the lobby :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank MemnonAga
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
MemnonAga; Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad you enjoyed the property and services, however I would like to apologize that your recent visit was not perfect.

Please allow me to clarify about the staff’s behavior, we will certainly take into consideration your comments and we are continually training our personal to give our guests the best service, we are sorry because service was not good in this occasion.

Our main goal at Barceló Maya Beach Resort is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want them back home totally satisfied.

We look forward to host you again in the future.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Redding, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have been to the Mexico Riviera Maya 4 times in the past 7 years and for the price you cannot beat the Barcelo Maya Beach/Caribe. We went to Barceló Beach 3 years ago and it was so beautiful we wanted to go back, but we were getting nervous because of so many negative reviews regarding the construction noise and problems. We booked anyway (July 30th to August 7th) and are so HAPPY with our choice. The snorkeling is amazing right off the beach of the hotel. We saw more fish, sting rays and sea creatures at Barceló than we did at Xel-Ha. The evening entertainment is unbelievable, they are comparable to shows you see in Las Vegas (and they are included in your all inclusive package). You must see the Circus act and the Barceló Vision show, you will not be disappointed. When the construction is done on the resort they are going to have a bowling alley, wave pool and teenage center, I cant wait to see it. The only thing recommendation that I would have for the management is to have more staff who understand English better, though all the staff are SO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. I want to also say an extra 'Thank you so much to Jesus Sosa, he was a front desk supervisor and was very helpful and informative, we will look him up on our next visit'. We cannot wait to go back next year and take our 3 teenage children.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Coba building are in a good location between beach and buffets.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Patti W
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Patti W; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services. We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

I would like to assure that we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services.

It would be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Beautiful resort with well maintained grounds. The beach is awesome and you can snorkel right from the beach area The staff are friendly, the food is great and so are the drinks. There is lots to do, including sailing on the clear blue water, shopping in their shopping centre, tennis, volleyball, evening shows in the theatre and the mini golf course has 18 holes with pyramids and cenotes. This resort is great for families, the young and the old.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't face the theatres, as the evening shows can get fairly loud.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Livija14
Livija14; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions, we are glad you have enjoyed the property and service.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the resort july 23rd to august 1st. Checkin was fast and within 10 minutes we were in our room.Clean well laid out and the beds were really comfortable. The resort is beautiful,amazing beach,large soft white sand and crystal clear water.Lots of water sports and great snorkling just off the pier. The staff were great,very helpful and excellent service.Both a la cartes,Spanish and Mexican were very good and we had no problems getting reservations.The buffet had plenty of selection for all meals and everything was very organized.My only criticism would be that a very large part of the entertainment was in Spanish, a bit more English would have been appreciated.We went on a day tour to Coba and Pac Chen with Altournative, zipline, canoeing and rappeling were included and we had great fun. This was a great vacation

Room Tip: The superior rooms were fine. We only sleep in the room not spend half the day in it so i didnt both...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank barbara l
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
barbara l; Many thanks for your contact and the comments you kindly share with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we will certainly use your comments to improve our entertainment.

Nashville,Tennessee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I just got back from Barcelo Beach from July 27-31, 2014. Beautiful property, well maintained grounds and beach, friendly staff. Plenty of pool and beach activities, (ie: dance lessons, aerobics, volleyball, etc)

The Beach is the star here, nice fluffy white sand, plenty of palm trees for shade ( in case you got too much sun) plenty of lounges. I love to snorkel, and you can snorkel right off the beach, this is one of the reasons i chose this property. I snorkeled with a turtle, sting rays and a variety of fish. I loathe going on a snorkel trip where they make you wear a life-jacket, you can't go under the water with that on! The reef is not the best I'd ever been too, but very convenient. Please people...DO NOT STAND ON OR TOUCH THE REEF! I saw quite of few people doing this, it kills the reef.

The rooms? Nothing special, typical Holiday inn styled room, comfortable and clean. I mean how much time do spend in the room? We did have an issue with the door handle in the bathroom, it would come off in your hand and you'd have to put it back on and twist gently to open the door. Not a big deal, just an annoyance.

The Food? Good all around, I'm not a big fan of buffets, but I could always find something tasty. The omelet station would make me a fresh one every morning and they had a variety of fillings.
We also tried both the Japanese and Seafood restaurants, both very good. We were there 4 days and were only allowed two ala-cart restaurant visits for dinner.

The bar (Tequila) off the lobby serves alcohol and various coffees. They also had entertainment there, Karaoke, bands.

The staff was first rate and they work their butts off....tip them please. I suggest you bring a lot of one dollar bills. I'm not suggesting you tip for every little act, but a dollar here and there goes a long way.

All in all a great time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gdude62
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
gdude62; We appreciate the time you have taken to share your impressions of Barceló Maya Beach Resort with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad you enjoyed the property and found our staff to be hard working.

We take this opportunity to invite you to Barceló Maya Caribe, which is under renovations and is preparing surprises to our guests.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Hi I went here with my daughter four years ago. It was by far the most beautiful place I've ever stayed at.
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome.
We dashed off to our room, quick change and off to the beach. I have never been lost for words but it blew me away. Stunningly beautiful.
Our room was on the third floor which I was happy with and pretty central. I don't think it's too big to get around myself at all.
We stayed for two weeks and only ever ate in the buffet restaurant and the beach grill and I had no complaints at all. Food was good with plenty of choice and always a very friendly hello.
We have been here twice now and have booked to stay in the tropical. As I wanted the air conditioning in the restaurant which since the refurb it now has anyway. Well done guys you all do a great job here. Thanks so much.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Nicola D; Thank you very much for your preference to Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad you and your daughter spent a great time with us and we achieve your expectations every time.

We are pleased to invite you to Barceló Maya Caribe our sister hotel that is undergoing refurbishment and will reopen on December this year, hosting a brand new lobby, water park and teen disco for the kids, a static wave surfrider, two new speciality restaurants and a commercial plaza, it will also have a 24 hour sports bar with bowling alley and theatre with high definition huge screen.

We look forward to serving you again.

Saludos,
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I just spent 11 days at BMB (July 8 to 19). We loved everything about this resort and would love to go back every year. All the staff were so helpful and pleasant. The facilities were perfect and most of all clean. The food was amazing with lots of variety at the buffet. The beach is 5 star with lots of beach chairs and palm trees too if you wanted a bit of shade. The pool was very nice and big enough for anyone's liking with ample chairs there too. The landscaping was extremely beautiful and lots of it. This resort has world class entertainment each night in a big comfortable theatre with 2 huge ceiling fans (about 28 feet in diameter) to keep you cool and cumfy.
This resort is nicely set up and everything is fairly close to the beach. There is a dolphin pool fairly close (300 yards away)for all to enjoy. There was a shuttle service if desired. There was a shopping plaza and spa close by if you wanted to take advantage of that and a disco club called Jaguar's that was open from 11:00 PM till 2 AM if you never got enough exercise in the pool or your king size bed.
Thank you Barcelo!!! We hope to see you and your friendly staff again!!
Merlyn

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Merlyn J; First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay, we are glad you and your wife have enjoyed the property and Service, we also want to thank you for finding our staff to be hard working and friendly.

Best Regards,
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,811 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!