“Very good (very few drawbacks)”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Very good (very few drawbacks)”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at Barceló Maya Beach Jul 18-28, 2014 with my 15 y.o son. We were picked up at the airport by a mini-bus and arrived at the hotel at ~noon. The check in was fast, but the room would be only available at 3 pm - the official check-in time (we really hoped they had some mercy for the tired travelers, but no such luck). We didn't complain - they gave us bracelets so we could start enjoying the beach, bars and food. By 3 pm our room wasn't ready also, so we stayed just there in the lobby and waited until they told us that it is now available ( at about 4:40 pm). Our building was Coba (I requested this particular building and the upper floor room (as the most quiet) when I was booking this package thru Triplink). The room was clean, cool, mini-fridge is full of drinks - colas, beer, water) and re-stocked if you don't put a 'do not disturb' sign outside. Beds were comfy. Safe box is free, TV remote at the night table, bath robes, slippers - all white and look like brand new, bathroom is clean and all working fine. We have absolutely no complains about our room or corridors - our cleaning lady was great and didn't bother us if we put 'do not disturb' sign outside. We tipped every time. The only bother was from other guests (across the corridor). Some people forget their manners once on vacation, loud voices and laugh, banging doors; same people -EVERY night.
Grounds and beach: The grounds are very clean and lush. The beach is amazing, palm threes provide enough shade and chair are aplenty. You won't be able to do snorkeling off the beach, no matter what they say on the websites, the water is not really clear because of wind and waves and there is nothing interesting down there, but we saw some fish and once - a stingray. Some ladies were sunbathing topless. There is also an isolated beach area, south of the main beach, with old padded chairs. We stayed there one day pretending it's just us.
Activities: We played paddle at Colonial courts every afternoon (you'll get equipment - paddles or tennis rackets, bottled water AND towels at the booth next to the basketball court), jogged in the mornings (a lot of people were jogging there, so bring your gear - HR monitors and mp3 palyers :), went to gym (Caribe part of Barceló) - they provide water and towels also, stayed at different pools throughout Barceló.
Pools: we are not pool people. But they look clean and plenty of chairs.
Beach bars: there are plenty throughout Barceló, take your thermos-mugs, but if you forget they sell them there. I haven't seen waters serving drinks near the pool or beach areas - you have to go for your drinks yourself. Also, the lobby bar is very cool and they have a pop-corn machine there.
La-cartes: We booked Mexican and Spanish (only these 2 were available with our package) upon arrival, but later cancelled; we had a look at the menus - looked rather attractive, but we don't like to be committed and prefer to stay flexible on our leisure time arrangements.
Buffet: was good; what I don't really get is sometimes there was a huge line-up at the entrance waiting to be seated. Also, there was only one fish served - a grupper (tender and succulent thou), and no other seafood; shrimp/calamari were served 2-3 times diring our 10-days stay, but they were mixed with rice and not served as a separate dish. Also, if they'd only cut their pastries/cakes in smaller bits - would be so much easier to choose, and more efficient - you wouldn't have to think which one to try - you can try all, and may be come back for the one you like most + there would be less leftovers. There were never enough waffle cones for ice-cream, they didn't replenish the dispenser. Also, coffee machines were turned off. You have to either wait for the waiter or go and order from the counter servers. In overall - the buffet management and cooks are doing a great job - all is fresh, variety is enough, arranged nicely and very clean. I think people who get stomach problems might be just overeating or mixing incompatible foods like fish and ice-cream.
Tours: We took a tour combo to Tulum ruins and Xel-Ha park - it's relatively short bus ride (~ 20 min). We weren't impressed with ruins but loved Xel-Ha - if you have kids - it's very much recommended. Secured locker, buffets, snorkeling gear and towels are included - you don't have to worry about a thing and just enjoy. We were mostly snorkeling there - amazing colorful fish, but we also walked around, stayed in hammocks, had dinner and fed fish.
Weather: was good during our stay, very hot but bearable; we were using 100spf sunscreens (water resistant type for sports) for the first 3 days then went down to 60spf then to 45spf, but still burned. I guess we had to re-apply more often as it gets washed down by sweat and water.
Staff: is very friendly and helpful and smile every time you smile at them.
Caribe section of Barceló was under construction but we weren't bothered, they played classical music along the perimeter to conceal any noise from there and it worked.
In fact I think because Caribe section was closed we didn't feel the resort was crowded at all. The construction site served as a buffer between The Beach and the rest of Barceló :)
Thank you Barceló for the nice time we had.
We might come back if the price is right.

Room Tip: Coba bulding, upper floor would be very quiet if not our neighbours across the hall
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank passedforgal
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
passedforgal; Thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions, we are glad you and your family enjoyed many aspects of the property and Service.

Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

We look forward to serving you again.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We were here in May 2014 and returned the week of August 10-17, 2014. We felt like we were at home. The staff is very friendly and do everything possible to make your stay perfect. We were a family group and they had all rooms in the same area. The grounds are well kept . There was a lot of seaweed in the water, but this is beyond the hotels power to avoid. They were cleaning continually and trying to keep up with the debris. The beach is beautiful and you can always find a place to stay. I love the pool. It seems like a small lake I got up every day before 7 and went to do water exercises. I had it to myself. There are all kinds of activites provided by the hotel. The walkways are all covered so you don't have to walk in the bright sun. I loved the hamburgers in the Rancho Grande Grill. We all went there every day for our midday meal. We've been talking about them since last May. We were a group of 17 and they always made every effort to seat us toghther. My niece had her 10th birthday there and they made her a special little cake and sang Happy Birthday to her..
I can only give rave reviews to this resort. I will return. Our room was comfortable, with good air conditioning . A great place for families. All the staff who assisted us were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I was in the Tulum building both times and liked it because it is away from the pool and heavy traff...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank yanci3
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
yanci3; Thank you for your preference to Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay, we are glad you and your family have enjoyed the property and Services, we also want to thank you for finding our staff to be hard working and friendly.

We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services, we also want to invite you to Barcelo Maya Caribe, which is preparing new services with great renovations for your next visit!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

All I can say is WOW ! The food was amazing at the buffets , there was a huge variety and everything I tried was delicious :) Our room was and oceanfront suite and it was huge! We had a nice dining area and large living room with a patio door , our bedroom was separated by sliding doors ...there were two patio doors from the bedroom one went to the outdoor dining space on the patio and the other to a small sitting area....foam kingsize bed (so comfy ) a desk behind the head of the bed , sliding doors behind that to the HUGE ensuite :walk in shower , his and hers sinks , jacuzzi tub and his & hers armoirs , the toilet had it own little door so it was private :) now the patio had a place to dry your clothes , a dining area and a jacuzzi tub ( there was a privacy curtain you could pull down ) and this faced the ocean :) Room service was a bit slow but the food was amazing , the fridge was stocked daily to our liking ... Staff was amazingly friendly . This place is beautiful! Oh did I mention our upgrade included a la carte EVERY night!! And you could go to any of the Barcello restaurants & bars( including palace,tropical & caribe )
There's a dock between beach & Caribe that is awesome for snorkeling ! Fish galore :) the beach was clean white sand :) You'll LOVE it here , I know we did .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paris0002
DirectorBeachCaribe, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Paris 0002; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding your experience at Barceló Maya Beach, we are happy we have exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your vacations.

We will be pleased to serve you again in the future.

Sainte-Julie, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We decided to return to the Dressel Divers...not only for the outstanding instructional facility provided to the novice divers,but also for high standard of diving ethic present in all facet of the diving operations from the front desk of the reception to the boat crew of the diving boat.
A ideal vacation spot, for a serious divers who want to get the maximum diving time at various dive site...the center go out of their way to accommodate the divers precise requests ...we shall return for another diving holiday

Room Tip: Be specific in your particular need for example patio vs balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Charles F: Thank you for you contact and your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we will share your impressions witht the Dressel Divers staff.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Clare, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2014

There's not much difference between Barcelo Hotels-- they have similar foods, beverages and other amenities. We've been to three of them and they are pretty good for the price.

The beach at the Maya is just ok. There seemed to be some extra vegetation that was getting broken apart near the shore. It made the water a strange orange color that was unpleasant to walk through. Once past that layer, the water clears up considerably. I saw a couple of turtles, a one meter long fish and three rays while out there. Pretty cool.

The room was fine with a good shower, big bathroom and nice king sized bed. The people who clean were wonderful and always wanted to make certain that we had enough of whatever we might need.

The only issue I had was that too often there was not enough staff at the front desk. We could see that the lines were long and things were going slowly most times that we walked by. I got in that line to ask a question and a half hour later, the six people in front of me were on there way and it was my turn. The wait should never have been that long as they should have brought more staff on hand.

Room Tip: Don't buy expensive supplies in the main stores. Head over to the Mexican Plaza and things get...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chadrock1175
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Chadrock1175; Thank you so much for your preference to Barcelo Maya Beach Resort and the time you have taken to share your impresions with the Tripadvisor users , especially your comments regarding the front desk and response times, we will certainly use this information to improve our attention to all our guests.

It will be our pleasure to serve you again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We made our reservation @ 3 months ahead. We made it clear that we want Maya beach because we will be attending a wedding and all the guests were staying at Maya Beach. We got our confirmation and reservation # for Barcelo Maya Beach.
When we arrived at hotel, those bell boys treated us like we were gate crashers. They said our reservation were at an different hotel. I showed them my reservation and it said MAYA BEACH. Unless there is another MAYA BEACH hotel. There's none. They kept telling me there is nothing they can do. It was horrible. I spent hours asking to talk to someone to find out what is going on. It was a losing battle. Finally I went to Colonial where they said I was booked. I went in and same thing.they told me to go to the other hotel because I have no reservation at the Colonial. I went to the 3rd hotel of the day. I spoke to a female rep and she was very polite and courteous. I explained the situation,she made a few phone calls and VIOLA, I got my room at the BARCELO MAYA BEACH HOTEL where I really should be in the first place.

They put us in one of those premium rooms which really did not calm my anger until I went for dinner. The staff was AWESOME.... they were all very polite and will give you whatever you order so long as it is available. For 6 days we were there, I enjoyed every minute. It is a wonderful resort. Beach is clean and again staff were very,very good. Please tip them always. These workers really work hard for you and they can use those tips.please tip them. We did . 3X/day for 6 days.

I want to go back with my grandsons and grown up kids . But I have to think and decide carefully because if the reservation screw up happens again,it will be hard for the kids being dumped from one hotel to the other. It was not pretty at all. Very uncomfortable especially after a long flight.

I am hoping it was a one in a million opppps and will not happen again. But it worries me.

But overall,the hotel is wonderful place to stay for vacation. The shows,excursions,food,drinks,beach and most of all the staff were very polite and helpful.except of course those uniformed boys at the lobby :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank MemnonAga
MemnonAga; Many thanks for your comments regarding your experience at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad you enjoyed the property and services, however I would like to apologize that your recent visit was not perfect.

Please allow me to clarify about the staff’s behavior, we will certainly take into consideration your comments and we are continually training our personal to give our guests the best service, we are sorry because service was not good in this occasion.

Our main goal at Barceló Maya Beach Resort is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want them back home totally satisfied.

We look forward to host you again in the future.

Redding, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have been to the Mexico Riviera Maya 4 times in the past 7 years and for the price you cannot beat the Barcelo Maya Beach/Caribe. We went to Barceló Beach 3 years ago and it was so beautiful we wanted to go back, but we were getting nervous because of so many negative reviews regarding the construction noise and problems. We booked anyway (July 30th to August 7th) and are so HAPPY with our choice. The snorkeling is amazing right off the beach of the hotel. We saw more fish, sting rays and sea creatures at Barceló than we did at Xel-Ha. The evening entertainment is unbelievable, they are comparable to shows you see in Las Vegas (and they are included in your all inclusive package). You must see the Circus act and the Barceló Vision show, you will not be disappointed. When the construction is done on the resort they are going to have a bowling alley, wave pool and teenage center, I cant wait to see it. The only thing recommendation that I would have for the management is to have more staff who understand English better, though all the staff are SO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. I want to also say an extra 'Thank you so much to Jesus Sosa, he was a front desk supervisor and was very helpful and informative, we will look him up on our next visit'. We cannot wait to go back next year and take our 3 teenage children.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Coba building are in a good location between beach and buffets.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Patti W
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Patti W; Many thanks for your contact and your comments regarding our services. We are very pleased that you continue to enjoy your stays and thank you for your continued patronage of Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

I would like to assure that we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services.

It would be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.