“wonderful week!”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband and I were at the Barcelo Maya Beach from March 7-14th. We were very happy with this resort and would recommend it.

Arrival - Check in went quick but since we arrived at 12:30 pm we had to wait until 3:00 pm to get our room. We grabbed lunch and then just explored a little until then.

Rooms - Our room was located in the Tulum block at the very back but we didnt mind because we were closer to the buffet and lobby. The beach was not a far walk at all. We thought the room was quite large and very clean. Our mini bar was stocked everyday with more than enough and every other night we had turn down service. Our room was cleaned by 11 am everyday. We put an old card into the air conditioning slot instead of a room key so that it would stay running when we left and it was never removed. We had trouble with our safe at first. It was closed already and could not be opened as we didnt have the previous code. My husband went down to tell them and they said insert your room key into it. Well there was no key slot so I told someone it wasnt opening. No one came to help so he went again and they argued to use the room key. He came back up and took a picture of it and went down to ask them where to insert it then. They then realized it was a new one and had to come up to open it. We also never recieved our luggage to our room and had to phone to get it brought up. But it was no big deal.

Food - The food was really good with lots of variety. If you read otherwise then its from someone who cant be pleased because we only had buffet at the Maya side and there was always tons of choice and most of it was really good. Every night was a theme night. I loved the food at the Beach side grill. We didnt eat there too much though because around lunch it was too busy. We usually did around 3. They have really good self serve soft serve icecream there. We ate at 3 a la cartes.
Mexican - Was very good, though I didnt like what I ordered. But rest was still enjoyable.
Spanish - Also enjoyed. I had the roast pig and it was a little on the "gamey" side but good.
Steakhouse - Good as well. I had the filet mingon and it was good for what they offered. My husband had the prime rib and liked it. He ordered at Mayan coffee after. They lit some liquor on fire to pour into it.

Drinks/Bars - They have a large variety of drinks to choose from. I didnt have any alcoholic (pregnant) but I had lots of selection of other drinks. My husband would often just go up and ask for something good thats non alcoholic and they would come up with something. They also had self serve beer taps. Tables with self serve wine, tequila (in all sorts of interesting flavours) rum, coffee, tea. They have slushie machines and soda fountains to help yourself with at all bars and buffets. Staff would often come to you in the lobby and get you a drink.

Theater - We only went to our theater. We were actually suprised how well done the shows are. It does get packed though if you go right before and there often only seating in the smoking areas which didnt suit me. We loved the Circus show and the Mayan Prehistorica. They try really hard and put on a good show. As far as the type where they pull people on stage we never saw that once at the ones we went to.

Beach - The beach is beautiful but gets pretty busy so we never could find chairs but prefered the pool area. We went snorkeling and could see lots of fish. It was pretty wavy the whole week but that kept a nice breeze at all times and so it was never too hot. We also went twice out to the "almost secret" lagoon at the end of the resorts. Its located past the Palace and we were often the only ones there or of very few. Lots of fish to see but no coral. Directions can be found on the unofficial barcelo maya website.

Shopping - There are many shops on site. We bought something from the Caribe gift shop. We went shopping at the shopping centre just past caribe but if your expecting a deal then dont count on it. Some stuff is ok priced but we have been many places and know whats worth paying for. They would not bargain at the kiosks much, even if it was 3 dollars less. We went into one shop where they claimed everythng was 30 percent off in store, then when we picked what we wanted well of course....thats not 30 percent off. Actually only this shelf is now...conviently..so we didnt buy anything. The airport was really expensive except the alcohol in the duty free. Had some deals.

Activities/Excursions - We didnt do too much. Were going to take out the water bikes but it was too wavy. My husband went on the ATV tour (I wasnt allowed) he enjoyed it. We liked the mini putt course.

Overall we liked this resort. They offered a lot to do, beautiful area, great food and entertainment. A large variety of people. It a little "americanized" but we expected that. Staff was polite and while some didnt speak good english we dont care, its thier country not ours. They tried thier best. Service was also good anywhere we went. Bars got busy at night and sometimes my husband had to wait a bit but they went as fast as they could. It was a great relaxing week :)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank evanescencetabby

Reviewed 16 March 2009

This was our THIRD trip to the Barcelo Palace. The first was a disaster! The 2nd was booked and we couldn't cancel...but...was a little better...the THIRD was fantastic!
I felt like I was in paradise! Our check in was seamless...we had to wait a little because we arrived early and our rooms weren't ready. We had packed bathing suits so we were ready!! We checked to see if we could reserve a night for the Japanese Restaurant but they were booked...again and again. We did choose other restaurants and had a great time. We were in Mexico to celebrate the 50th birthday of our friend. I stopped at the hostess desk to ask about a cake. WOW...I was shown a book, picked out a cake...and was BLOWN AWAY! I am serious! There is a serious pastry chef on this compound. This cake was "up there" with some of the best bakeries in the USA. We went to our rooms at 2:30pm (1/2 hour earlier) & our rooms were ready. Our luggage had been deposited by the bellmen. We had SPOTLESS, well stocked (towels, washcloths, mini bar) oceanfront rooms.
We had six adults and twelve children ranging from 11 to 18. The buffet was PERFECT! There is a constant selection of pasta, Mexican, steak, soups, salads, deserts, seafood...hmmm...I know I am forgetting a lot!!! I am not a buffet lover, but when I am on a leisure vacation, I love the freedom afforded without a time constraint...and inclusive buffets seem to offer this graciously.
Our weather was off and on...mostly ON...and by the 2nd day, Carlos realized that we had a lot of teens in our party and they needed physical activities. He kept them busy but the kid/teen activities could be a little more. I think the TROPICAL was better set up for this age group, but trust me...it was not enough to sway me elsewhere!
The beach was beautiful, a little rocky, but we expected it and this time we didn't have a lot of stubbed toes!?!?!?!
The security was great, lifeguards were on duty, tons of clean towels, beach chairs were plentiful! (The resort wasn't as packed as our previous visits but the day of our departure looked like the craziness was about to begin!)
I cannot say enough good things about this visit! I felt as though I was at a beautiful, top notch resort!
PARADISE!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank skcesm
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We have stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort several times and this time decided to stay on the Palace side. It was absolutely awesome! From the moment you arrive into their grand lobby and throughout the entire property, everything was very impressive. The beaches at Barcelo are definitely some of the best in the Mayan Riviera. Lots of white sand and turquoise water. Because the resort sits in somewhat of a bay, the water is generally calm and very swimmable.

Once we were able to locate the different Palace restaurants and learn the schedules of them, we were very impressed with the service and the food. The only restaurant we did not care for was the brazillian restaurant only because the food was not what we like. The atmosphere in all the restaurants definitely had great ambience and it was nice to see people dress up a bit. Course you always have the people that wear jeans or scruddy looking clothes and think that they are "dressing up". I believe some people just don't care what they look like. I don't let things like that ruin my vacation, but I always do find myself wondering what they could be thinking.

The buffets were very good with a great variety of food to choose from and the food was always fresh and hot and the presentation was well thought out.

The rooms were truly the best part of the entire resort.....all junior suites with plenty of space and amenities and ours walked right out to one of the larger pools. It was a great location and stocked and cleaned daily. All the staff was very humble and very helpful. Sad to think that they work for so little and give so much.

The pools were gorgeous and there was plenty of chairs to go around. We never felt like we had to fight for a chair around the pool or at the beach. We traveled for our twenty-five wedding anniversary with friends the first two weeks of December so the resort was not at all overrun with tourists which might have made a difference. I also did not see alot of people "saving" chairs by placing a book or towel on them first thing in the morning. There were plenty to go around.

The nightly shows were all great and the location of the entire resort is very centrally located to Tulum, Xhel-ha and Puerto Adventuras as well as to Playa del Carmen. All were a short taxi ride away and all offer a diversity of things to do while in the area. We also went into Cancun and took a catamaran cruise over to Isla Mujeres which was a lot of fun as well.

Overall I cannot think of anything negative about this resort. We were truly impressed from the first moment and awed throughout our entire vacation and I would highly recommend this resort to my clients and friends. You definitely won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank DaretoDreamTravel
Reviewed 14 March 2009

I was married at the Palace Feb. 23, 2009. I had previously stayed at the Tropical when it first opened. Knowing that the Barcelo chain in the Mayan Riviera is amazing, i chose to have my wedding there. The Palace is beautiful, although i still believe the lobbies in the Tropical and Colonial are better.

Upon check in I had asked for a room upgrade, as we were bringing down 20 people to the resort with us; which they did not give me. There were a few people who were WAY down the hall and they were no where close to the rest of the group (AND WE BOOKED IN MAY 2008)

The only thing that was different from the Palace to the Tropical, besides the price, was the premium alcohol. We may have also been personally served more, which I have no problem getting off my butt and going and getting my own drinks.

I was expecting something extremely elaborate by going to the palace, and i felt a little bit disappointed. I was under the understanding we would have access to all the A la cartes, our own miniput, our own tennis courts, and our own water equipment (kayaks, waters bikes etc.) ! Well the only thing that stood true to the above is the tennis courts, and unlike the colonial that has SEVERAL tennis courts we had 1 to share between 900 rooms. The walk to the mini put was very far, the water sports were still down as they always have been at the Beach resort. We were only able to get into our own A la cartes (which weren't very good) , when the palace said they offered steak, italian, etc. ( which were located on the other resorts)

The pool is beautiful. The service is always amazing at the Barcelo, i couldn't expect more. They had a secret adults only section taht was beautiful as well. The beach by the palace is very rocky, and not as nice as the rest of the beach. ( i think they may be trying to remove these rocks)!! I hung out by the pool most of the time, as I am affraid of the `creatures` in the gulf hahaha.

The wedding was amazing and beautiful, they even waited for the rain to stop so that we could do the wedding i dreamed of on the beach. The photographer was excellent but again it was not offered at the Palace complex it was about 2 km to the Caribe complex. We met with the wedding coordinator for an hour and had the wedding we had dreamed of....this is definately their specialty.

The rooms at the palace are unbelievable, they definately are better than the rooms in the rest of the resort.

Overall if this review sounds critical i apologize ( i would hate to destroy anyones trip). It is a beautiful resort, and I would recommend anyone the Barcelo in the Mayan Riviera....but I would tell them to save their money and go to the Tropical and Colonial that way you are closer to the activities and the disco. I would not recommend the palace again because of hte location and how far it is from everything. (not that i don't have a problem with walking but some times you just want to do your activity and get right back to tanning!)

Again sorry if this sounds complaining, i'm just trying to give an honest review, as I do love the BARCELO complex, hence why I have been there so many times.

I WILL BE GOING BACK AGAIN TO THE BARCELO MAYA RIVIERA NEXT YEAR (for my 1 year anniversay) BUT I'M GOING TO THE TROPICAL :) WHOEVER DECIDES TO GO TO THIS COMPLEX NO MATTER WHAT...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank krissylynne
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We just came back Mar. 10th after 2 great weeks at the Barcelo Maya beach.First off when leaving the airport in Cancun with your luggage, avoid the timeshare people. We got caught and after spending 30 min. with one we got harassed by 3 more on the way out. Just head straight outside the airport where your tour representative will be. It will take about 90 min. to get to Barcelo. We arrived at night and check in was very quick. They put us in Tulum, ground floor with just a short walk to the beach. The rooms are very nice; small patio with table and chairs, stocked mini fridge, in room safe that you set with your own code, shampoo and shower gel dispensers in bathroom. They even give you a comb and hair brush if you forgot to bring them. There was 4 of us in 1 room and we were only given 2 room cards so we asked if we could get 2 more at the check-in desk, no problem at all. We read reviews about mosquitoes on the ground floors and although there was a few it is nothing like at home in the summer. The resort is huge but after a day or 2 you will probably know your way around. The grounds are very clean and very well landscaped. Workers are out everyday maintaining the grounds. The maids and grounds staff are all very friendly but don't speak much english .The beach is the best at the maya and gets a little more rocky as you head towards the palace hotel. The buffet is very good with lots to choose from.They have a different theme every night with the entertainment being the same theme. We thought the shows were very good but there were a lot of people that didn't applaud to which i thought was a bit ignorant. When you stay at the maya beach you are allowed to eat at the Caribe's buffet and al a carte free but will cost extra if you want to eat at the colonial or tropical and the maya palace is only for people staying there.You can use all the pools except the maya palace. We ate at 3 al a carte's; el agave[ mexican],el quiote[ spanish], and rancho grande,[ steakhouse]. I felt we were rushed a little bit at the el agave and the meal quite small. I needed a snack later in the evening, but the other 2 were great, especially the rancho grande with the biggest mouth watering steaks i have not seen in a long time. If you decide to do some tours in the area, walk out to the highway and catch the collectivo. We went to xel-ha, tulum ruins, and playa del carmen all by collectivo, 20 pesos[$2] each way, taxi would cost you 180 pesos to 250 pesos[$18- $25] each way. If you,re planning on taking home souvenirs and/or booze the best prices will be in playa del carmen, but you can also get some deals at the mexicana plaza at the Barcelo resort. Tip, if you can get yourself to the mexicana plaza around 6pm, they give out free souvenirs and a pinata for the kids to hit. If i had to complain about anything it would be (1) that the beds were very hard, (2) the walls were quite thin as you can here people in adjoining rooms walking around and using bathroom facilities quite easily and (3) that there was not enough bartenders at each of the bars. Other than that this resort is great and definitely recommend it to anyone. We will come back again!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank vacatingcanadian
Reviewed 13 March 2009

We just returned after spending seven days at this wonderful resort. I had researched and researched and was VERY happy with our choice of the Barcelo Maya Beach. While it is more than an hour to travel by van after you land in Cancun, the long ride is worth it. We traveled with our two children, ages 9 and 12, and we all had a great time.

The beach itself is gorgeous, with aquamarine water and white sand that is as fine as flour. The free-form pools are amazing, with bridges spanning the water and fountains. We loved the all-inclusive aspect of the resort. How relaxing it is to be able to lounge at the beach or pool and then just pad over to the restaurant in your flip-flops when you get hungry!

Besides a trip to Tulum, we were happy to stay at the resort and play each day. Each night, we had either the buffet or a great dinner at one of the resort restaurants, and then there was a live show. The kids enjoyed everything from traditional Mayan dance to Broadway music and dancing.

There were only two drawbacks to our stay. First, the beds at the resort are very hard, but we asked for an extra mattress pad, and that helped a lot. Second, our son has food allergies, and it was very difficult to find anyone who could answer questions about what exactly was in each dish. I knew going in that there would be a language barrier, but was assured by the hotel that "everyone speaks English." Obviously this will not be a problem for most people, but if you have dietary concerns and you are not bilingual, you might want to bring a card along that describes what ingredients you need to avoid.

That said, we will definitely return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank LakeSideBlue
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I spent a week at the Barcelo Maya Beach with a friend for a girls trip. We booked at the beach but actually stayed at the Caribe. Our room was clean, we had no problems booking a reservation at any of the restaurants. We ate at the Agave (Mexican restaurant), had wonderful service and great food. The food at the buffet's and the grill's was great and we always had great service. The beach was wonderful and we had no problems getting towels or finding beach chairs. Overall this was a great place to spend a week, but two quick comments...
I have lived in Mexico and traveled extensively throughout the country. That said there are always two things to remember about Mexico; 1) The beds are always firm 2)The halls in hotels are always noisy-it has to do with the construction. The beds at this resort were firm but after a night or two we got used to the beds and ear plugs helped me sleep well. So remember those things and you will have a great trip!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!