“Had a great time ! We highly recommend the Barcello Maya to anybody!”

Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Had a great time ! We highly recommend the Barcello Maya to anybody!”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My wife & I stayed at the Barcello Maya Colonial from 11-18 March 09. Although our Transat flight was rather long (5 hrs), it was fairly comfortable and included a small hot meal. When we arrived at the airport in Cancun we had to wait quiet a while for our luggage but considering the hundreds of tourists arriving when we did, I wasn't surprised. We went through customs and immigration without any problems. For first time travellers to this airport, please watch out for the time-share people who pose as customer service reps offering to help you get to your resort. I recommend that you proceed directly outside to the bus area and look for your tour company rep who should be wearing a shirt with a tour company logo on it (ie: Transat Vacations) They will tell you which coach to board. The bus was air conditioned and the trip from the airport to the Barcello took approximately 90 minutes, which included a stop at one other resort.

When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by the friendly reception staff who provided us with information about the resort, such as available facilities & services, restaurants/buffets, our room & available room service. Seeing as our room was fairly close to the main lobby, we decided to carry our luggage, however the bell staff would have gladly taken our luggage had we wanted them to. Our room was very clean and included a King size bed, Couch, Mini-bar (Beer, Water, Pop, Snacks: peanuts, chocolate wafers, small bags of potato chips), and large towels in the bathroom. Our room was on the third floor looking out over the beautiful trees & vegetation, and also faced the Theatre. There was an electronic safe in the room for our valuables and we set our own combination. I'm not sure if it was just because of the type of vacation package that we had, but our room also included pool/beach towels, a fruit basket, housecoats, slippers, and a bottle of Mayan liquer in our room.

We had access to the entire resort (Colonial, Tropical, Caribe, Beach) but we were not permitted to go to the Palace resort ("high-end" area of the complex). Our package included reservations at any 4 of the 6 a la carte restuarants. We ate at the Thai; Seafood; Steakhouse; and Italian restaurants. The service and food were excellent ! The buffets were also amazing! I can't think of one time where we had a shortage of items to choose from - every meal was different depending on what it was we wanted to eat. There was no question about the variety and availability of excellent food, especially considering that the main buffets were open each day from (approx) 7:30-10:30 am / 11:30 am -3:00 pm and again from 6:30-10:00 pm. The pool buffets were open from 10:30 am - 6:30 pm. Of course depending on the time that we went to eat we may have had to wait for a couple of minutes to be seated and/or wait in line at a popular food station, however overall it was never a problem or inconvenience.

There were Variety-type shows at each of the two theaters nightly at approx 8:30 and 9:30 respectively. Each of the nightly shows had a different theme and were composed mainly of the same cast of very talented performers. The only disappointment about these shows is that none of them featured really traditional mexican dancing or costumes.

Most of the time during our stay was spent relaxing by the pool/beach. We had no trouble finding lounge chairs or a spot in the shade. We did notice that people play the "reserve a lounge chair" game, but to be honest we were always able to find a place beside the pool - even after lunch. The pool is huge ! and despite only being 4 ft deep, it didn't really matter considering the main point is that it was clean, refreshing, and had good clorine levels. The pool also had "lazy rivers", a separate area for volleyball or activities (day) or lane swimming (evening) and the pools were open until 10 pm. The beaches were the kind of beautiful white sandy beaches you would expect; clean and had sufficient lounge chairs. Shade on the beach was provided by numerous palm trees. I would also recommend the snorkeling which is available at the diving center (near the dock). It's free (returnable $50 USD deposit per person required) and avail in one-hour increments. The recommended areas to snorkel in are: at the dock (Lots of fish swimming right next to you !) and also around the coral (three or four spots) located along the two mile beach!

Shopping is available at the resort at the "Plaza Mexicana" shopping center, as well as in the various shops located in the lobby complex at each of the resorts. We took the "collectivo" to/from Playa del Carmen on our second day. The collectivo is a fast, safe, and inexpensive way to travel via public transport to/from Playa (cost: 20 Pesos per person each way). We caught the mini-van at the side of the highway in front of our resort without any problems.

What did my wife and I like the best? Well, we really didn't have a "best" .... we found everything was equally enjoyable. The service, staff, food, accommodation, grounds-keeping, etc etc. We did however find a couple of things that we liked the least: it was not knowing beforehand that a $50 deposit was required for the snorkeling equipment and that the last time period to sign-out the mask/flippers was 3 pm (even though the dive centre was open until 5 pm). Another disatisfier was the fact that the only place to get free-of-charge life jackets (we wanted them for snorkeling) was at the beach activity center located at the Beach resort. I found it somewhat far to have to go from the Colonial beach to the Beach resort just to get life jackets (Note: they were available at the diving center for $6.00 USD non-refundable each. I think that's because the staff at the diving center are members of a diving club and not the resort itself).

We highly recommend the Barcello Maya Resort to anybody, regardless of age, married, single, family with children, etc !! I hope you'll love it as much as we did. Happy vacation !

7 Thank Allan-B-inwinnipeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maine
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We were a party of 12. Four families with girls ranging from the age of 13 to 25. Our travel agent used Funjet Tours. Upon arrival we had quite a long wait to go through customs, but we were so thrilled to be there that we made the best of it. Once we were through we picked up our bags and immediately were ushered to a bus to begin the trip south to the resort. The trip took about an hour and a half, but we were offered ice cold Coronas and enjoyed the sites. Our first impression of the Palace upon arrival was that it was breathtaking. We were waited on at check in almost immediately. We had requested 5 suites all near each other. Three with king size beds and 2 with doubles. At first we were told that 2 of the rooms were not near the other 3, but when we explained that we had booked this 8 months in advance and that it was very important that we all be fairly close to each other we were shuffled and all in the same area. We were in the Oxcaca unit.

My sister in laws and I went to meet with the Funjet rep to discuss tours and return arrangements while our husbands and kids went to the room. By the time we got to the suites our luggage had been delivered. No waiting and yes we were offered a welcome drink upon arrival. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating.

We ate at the buffet most evenings and were pleasantly surprised with the various types of foods. T Bone steaks cooked to order, stir fries and a pasta bar. We did eat at 3 of the restaurants. The Carribean was very good. Some of us enjoyed the Japanese while others weren't thrilled. The Brazilian was terrible. The presentation was very nice, but the potatoes and vegetables were cold. The meat that was offered to us was not cooked. Some of us left before the meal was over. (The great thing about this place was that we could just walk into the buffet even though it was 9:00 PM and get a bite to eat!). Those who did stay until the end were treated to an amazing chocolate dessert. They said it was worth the wait. The breakfast at the buffets were wonderful. Fresh fruit always available, terriffic omelets made to order, waffles, french toast, pancakes along with so many other items it would be impossible to list. My husband is a huge Starbucks fan and he was very happy with the coffee they served. I had cappucinno each morning and it was wonderful. Lunch was just about anything you could ask for. Burgers, pasta. etc. They always had fresh shrimp. You could make a salad and top it off with shrimp or have them grill you a chicken breast to put on.

The rooms were always kept clean and we had towel art every day although the rest of the group wasn't as lucky! It turned into a joke between the families. The first day I took all the drinks other than the diet coke and the bottled water out of the mini bar and put them on the counter with a note that said "no". I then put a note that said "yes" in the refrigerator with the diet coke and water. For the rest of the week we always had a fully stocked refrigerator with only diet coke and water. We always put a few $$ on the bed and in the refrigerator as the staff really are so friendly.....always smiling. As I said.......very accomodating.

The only excursion we took was the Tulume Extreme. Because there were 12 of us we had a private van. Our guide was Mundo. He was fantastic. We snorkled in a Cenote (underwater cave), rapelled and zip lined. He then turned us over to Jorge who brought us to Tulum to give us a tour of the ancient city. So amazing. We spent the other days at the resort. It was so gorgeous that no one wanted to leave. My husband, brother in law, and niece did some snorkelling right in front of the palace and had a great time. We played mini golf one evening and did some shopping at the Mexicana Shopping center in the middle to the 5 resorts. We also went to a couple of the shows. They were pretty good.

We thought we were in paradise until Sunday. Then a group from Texas and another from Minnesota arrived. These were high school seniors on class trips. They were supposed to be chaperoned and we did see some parents, but honestly their behavior was as bad as their kids. Rude, drunk, obnoxious. We had enjoyed the pool prior to their arrival, participating in water aerobics, etc. Once they were there they we 10 deep to the swim up bar, doing "body shots" (I even heard a mom on the beach telling someone who asked where her daughter was that she was on the bar having body shots done to her and was laughing about it). The profanity was disgusting. So many little kids around. It was sad. My family had the "pleasure" of sitting near the "Texas parents" on the beach a couple of days and I was horrified. These people are so rude. I had my 17 year old high school senior and believe me I would never allow her to behave the way these parents were allowing their children to act. There is a lovely piano bar off the lobby that we would stop in for a drink before dinner and again after sometimes. Once these groups arrived we were driven out by the obnoxiousness. One evening these kids were funnelling (my college age daughter and niece told us that is what it is called!) at the bar and their were parents in there watching. I could go on and on, but you can get my drift. A bunch of high school seniors not really being supervised and drinking way too much with indifferent "chaperones".

I felt very bad for the staff. You could tell that this is not typical and they weren't sure how to handle it. At first we said that we would not return, but the more we thought about it is that the reservations were made under false pretenense. After all we brought our children and they could have behaved the same way, but our kids were brought up with much better manners. They did have a few drinks, but were never out of control.

Somehow the Palace has to figure out how this happened and not allow it again. Their first clue would probably be that a group of let's say 100 people from the same area may not be a good choice of guests at the Palace. Send them to one of the lower end complexes.

The positives far outweighed the negatives and my husband and I are going to give it another chance next March. This was our first All Inclusive and we decided that since we started with such a spectacular resort it will be hard to find another one to compete with it. We are not novice travellers. Typically go to Florida, a couple cruises and a couple trips to Palm Springs, but this was by far the easiest trip. No car rental, no surprise expenses for food and drinks. The location is amazing.

8 Thank Backcove119
boston
Reviewed 21 March 2009

We just returned from a family vacation at the Barcelo Maya Palace. You know, I really don't understand the reviews heaping all sorts of praise on this property. Clearly, Barcelo made the decision to have a very good looking resort but understaff and deliver poor to mediocore food. The grounds and design are very nice but the service is non-existent and the food horrid. And by horrid I mean hardly any of the ingredients they use are fresh (they were very proud that most of their food comes frozen during a kitchen tour we took) and seafood options were pitiful. Really, really pitiful. The restaurants are a farce. Make reservations, get dressed and sit in a nicely designed room to eat poorly cooked, processed foods, most of which were taken and "dressed up" from the buffets. Oh, and the most amusing part was sitting in the reception area prior to dinner where they keep all the restaurant doors closed, a sort of "velvet rope" trick, if you will. What a cheap gimmick to use on your guest to build anticipation as to what lies beyond those doors. We got quite a laugh out of that one.

There are those who are quite content with quantity at the expense of quality. If that's you, boy, this resort is probably a dream. Those well traveled, take heed, stay away. You will be very disappointed. One guest in our party had an ACL repair done two weeks prior to the trip and although mobile with crutches, really required a wheelchair to get around. Guess what concierge told us about getting a wheelchair? Luckily, he's a stalwart, bit the bullet and crutched around for the week. I could list other deficiencies, but those of you who care probably get the point by now.

We are very laid back types and had a great time despite the problems listed above. I want to stress that although service was poor, I don't blame the staff, they were stretched beyond their capacity. I blame Barcelo. Do not advertise what you intentionally are not. We will spread the word.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank m0rrissey
St. Catharines
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We flew out from Toronto with Sunwing and I must say that Sunwing was fantastic. I read a lot of negative reviews but our experience was great. They departed on time and on the way back we were able to leave a half hour ahead of time. They gave complementary champagne, snack, hot towel, hot meal which was very good, soft drinks or juice, free headphones and a movie.
There were no problems finding the Sunwing Rep at the airport to shuttle us to the hotel. The bus ride was only an hour long and the bus tour guide was very informative.
Once we arrived at the hotel, we were all given a nice cold drink at the front lobby.
Since we arrived mid morning, we couldn't get our room until 3pm so we walked to the beach grille restaurant for an early lunch. We found the Beach and Caribe grille restaurants were probably the cleanest and well stocked. The servers would check to see if you needed anything to drink even though it was self serve. You must try the steak! They were so delicious and tender too. I didn't try it until a few days into the vacation because I thought it would be dried out and tough. I found at this resort, the meats were all very tender and very flavourful. The hamburgers were thick and juicy but make sure you ask for it to be cooked well done. I noticed a lot of people were asking for the hamburger cooked medium! We ate twice at the Tropical side and found that they ran out of food and never replenished some of the dishes. The staff were not cleaning up the dishes or sweeping dropped food on the floor.
Since we could only eat at the Beach or Caribe buffet restaurant, we ate at the Beach side. There was no air conditioning only ceiling fans. It was open all around with wire mesh so birds couldn't enter. It was nice to feel the breeze and hear the birds while eating. The waiters were so friendly and helpful. We loved Joel and Marco the best! Make sure you tip the workers because they work so hard. They work six days a week 14 hours a day! We were surprised with all the variety of foods they offered for all meals. They had different themes each night. You will be able to find something to eat even if you were a picky eater. I had a steak at the buffet but didn't taste as good as the beach grille. Lots of fresh fruit and the also had a coffee and juice bar too.
We had 3 a la carte restaurants. I thought the steak meal was the best, next the Spanish and last Mexican. The Spanish was very good but we found the Mexican was just okay.
All the bars had Corona beer on tap and self serve too. There were sections at the bar that you can make your own drinks--vodka bar, rum bar etc. They had coolers of water bottles. If you have teenagers, check their drinks because my kid had asked for a non alcoholic drink and I could taste the rum. Oh well, my kid looks a lot older and I'm sure that the bartenders are so busy mixing up drinks to notice their bands.
The Beach side resort had the nice beach and no coral in the water. There were always plenty of loungers to be found. It wasn't necessary to place your towels down at 6am like most resorts. The beach was raked daily and it was always clean. I found as you walked down towards the Palace, the beach was getting rocker and not as nice.
The pool at the Beach and Caribe is older and tiles were popping out but it did not deter us from using it. The pools were very clean. We also spent time at the Tropical side because of the kids water slide. One problem with this area were not enough washrooms. There is only one washroom at the Beach next to the kayaks. So if you were at the Beach or Caribe Grille restaurant or at the pool, you would have to that washroom. If you were at the Tropical and Colonial side, you will find more washrooms near the pool and at the grille restaurants.
We were staying at the Coba section on the third floor and we found the rooms very spotless and always cleaned before 11am. We had problems with college students the first two nights but after complaining to the front desk, they had a security guard on our floor and never had a problem since.
This time we didn't leave the resort to go shopping. There is a shopping centre on the Colonial side and the prices were reasonable. They also have a little market in the centre of the shopping centre and they are willing to barter.
I would recommend this resort to all my friends and I would love to go back again! We have been to the Palladium White Sands and Palladium Kantenah in the past and while the White Sands would be comparible to the Tropical side, I think that they were equal. The Beach side is similar to the Kantenah. In my opinion, I think the food at the Barcelo was a little bit better because of the variety and quality of meats.

8 Thank tbcc
Reviewed 19 March 2009

Well not a great start...our direct flight (with Westjet) was delayed 1 hr once we were all boarded, then when we arrived in Cancun we had to wait another 25 minutes for a gate to become available. The bus ride was terribly long...we waited 45 minutes for the bus to leave, then 3 stops before we were dropped off....2.5 hours on the bus was not what I was expecting! Door to door = 13 hours (includes 4.5 hr flight). When we arrived at the Palace there was a line up to check-in, yet we paid for private check-in (no such thing there!) As we await our turn, we are entertained by loud guests (there to be married) with beer in hand waiting their turn to check-in...foul language, and the next thing you know their beer bottle is resting on the reservation counter – what a sight! Before they assigned us our room number we made sure to let them know that we didn't want to be anywhere close to this group of people. We weren't. Our room was great with a view facing the main pool and part of the ocean.

The best place to hang out was the Adult pool - thank goodness for this space - this was the selling feature and why we decided on the Palace. The bar service at this pool was excellent. Thanks Ulyses for your great service-you're the Best! The maid service was great too - the room was always clean. That's were the great service ended. In the buffet and A la Carte restaurants - we were quite disappointed. We made our reservations upon arrival, and still there were three restaurants we could not get into, yet we heard from other guests that there was plenty of empty tables. On our first night there we had dinner reservation set, they asked us to wait 5 minutes upon arrival, then 30 minutes passed and we were still waiting and I could see another bunch of folks arriving for their time...I immediately checked with the maitre D and we were seated. And once seated the service was not good at all. On another night at the Brasserie, the French restaurant...it started good...they were attentive then after they picked up our dinner plate and brought us dessert that was the end for us -- from that moment on we didn't exist. - its like they didn't see our group of 4..no coffee offered, we sat there for a 20 minutes until we almost had to trip them, for them to stop at our table to request coffee ...unbelievable ...it blew us away. When we got our coffee it was the bottom of the pot, we couldn't drink it.

During our week stay, a group of 400 Mexican people arrived for a 4-day convention (you identified them by their purple carrying bag). Before they arrived the Palace was at 43% capacity, it was nice...then once they arrived we jumped to 70%. It was obvious that the service really took a nose dive as they were catering to this group, setting up a big dig on the beach for them. Strange incident happened…we witnessed one of those convention folks throw a glass of tequila on a young lady at the Adult pool very early one morning over reserving a"grass shade hut/bed"...the young couple had reserved it & obviously left, the older couple attending the convention arrived at the pool, removed the young couples towels and items, put theirs down and left ...then the young couple returned and took back their bed...the Mexican conventioneers came back and that's when it happened – he threw his glass of Tequila in the young ladies face. The young ladies' husband wasn't far...he came running to defend his wife - it ended okay...the older couple left and the day started. If you want a hut you have to be there by 7:00am to put your towels down. Lots of chairs around the pool, they are reserved there as well…plenty of chairs on the beach…no need to reserve them.

The grounds are beautiful, immaculate and very well cared for. Everything is very clean, and the public washrooms are immaculate. The beach is very nice. It's quite easy to get around, great pathways, and many pathways are nicely lit up at night. It's quite picturesque. If you like to walk...you'll love visiting the five resorts....Beach, Caribe, Colonial, Tropical and Palace.

The convention group left on Saturday and then teenagers from 3 American graduating high schools arrived...we only had to endure them 1 night. I really felt for those who had just arrived for a quiet holiday...the noise in the main bar was unbearable, insane. We were glad to leave on Sunday. Friends of ours left the day after us and said these teenagers vomited in the pool and tossed loungers in. It blows my mind as to how The Palace would allow such a group of students to reside at this so-rated 5-star resort.
The return home was just as long...they picked us up at 9:00am for a 1:20 flight. The ride to the airport was non-stop (1:10 minutes). We checked-in and learned that our flight was delayed 2 hours...so now we had 5 hours to waste - not impressed Westjet/Transat Holidays!

Would we recommend this resort...humm, I'm on the fence on this one...provided that you don't go during school winter breaks and are not expecting great service, then I'd hope you would be okay - but then again, I'm not sure, we were luckly to check-out in the nick of time!

Don't forget your large thermos mug -you'll be glad to have them.

Will we go back? Not sure...we were quite impressed upon arrival, but then with the large groups arriving one after another, we now have some reservations about going back. I would definitely not go to Barcelo during any spring breaks - the Resort is way too large and can accommodate large group - not a good thing! This was our first time to not stay at an Adult Only resort...this could of been a big mistake if we had landed a full week of those teenagers. We've stayed at four Sandals Resorts and one Grand Lido in Jamaica -- and each stay at these resorts were fabulous. This year we wanted to try Mexico…hence our choice.

7 Thank OntarioCasey
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We were upgraded from the Tropical, where I really wanted to stay because it is more family oriented. Well, it seems the resort decided to upgrade about 400 spring breakers (although they are officially not supposed to be here) as well. The poolbar was a madhouse with rude drunk teenagers, supposedly "chapparoned" but I have no idea where the responsible parties were. Many people were completely upset. There were cups and chairs thrown in the gorgeous pools, and late at night hords of drunk kids would parade around the nice grounds.
With the exception of the adult pool bar and the lobby bar, service is non-existant. The buffets are ok, but the psychotic management kept opening and closing the "Miranda" buffet, which adjoins the mirrored "Hacienda". It took me 90 minutes to check in. These people have no CLUE how to run a resort and in my opinion (having been to about 45 countries and countless resorts) I would NEVER recommend friends or even enemies to come here. Maybe it's better when it's not crowded, and maybe you don't have to put up with the Mexican "Just a minute sir", which really means 'I'm going to walk away and hope you do'.
Oh - and even though we were Club Premium, there were no reservations availalbe except for the Brazilian restaurant (which is awful) - we got the Japanese for the last night at 9:30. I will never stay at another Barcelo property again. I should have had a clue when the reservation service was disorganized, but I read the reviews here and they are deceiving. Stay away from Barcelo - there are many other options in this area to hav a great time.

8 Thank 5GMan
Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband and I were at the Barcelo Maya Beach from March 7-14th. We were very happy with this resort and would recommend it.

Arrival - Check in went quick but since we arrived at 12:30 pm we had to wait until 3:00 pm to get our room. We grabbed lunch and then just explored a little until then.

Rooms - Our room was located in the Tulum block at the very back but we didnt mind because we were closer to the buffet and lobby. The beach was not a far walk at all. We thought the room was quite large and very clean. Our mini bar was stocked everyday with more than enough and every other night we had turn down service. Our room was cleaned by 11 am everyday. We put an old card into the air conditioning slot instead of a room key so that it would stay running when we left and it was never removed. We had trouble with our safe at first. It was closed already and could not be opened as we didnt have the previous code. My husband went down to tell them and they said insert your room key into it. Well there was no key slot so I told someone it wasnt opening. No one came to help so he went again and they argued to use the room key. He came back up and took a picture of it and went down to ask them where to insert it then. They then realized it was a new one and had to come up to open it. We also never recieved our luggage to our room and had to phone to get it brought up. But it was no big deal.

Food - The food was really good with lots of variety. If you read otherwise then its from someone who cant be pleased because we only had buffet at the Maya side and there was always tons of choice and most of it was really good. Every night was a theme night. I loved the food at the Beach side grill. We didnt eat there too much though because around lunch it was too busy. We usually did around 3. They have really good self serve soft serve icecream there. We ate at 3 a la cartes.
Mexican - Was very good, though I didnt like what I ordered. But rest was still enjoyable.
Spanish - Also enjoyed. I had the roast pig and it was a little on the "gamey" side but good.
Steakhouse - Good as well. I had the filet mingon and it was good for what they offered. My husband had the prime rib and liked it. He ordered at Mayan coffee after. They lit some liquor on fire to pour into it.

Drinks/Bars - They have a large variety of drinks to choose from. I didnt have any alcoholic (pregnant) but I had lots of selection of other drinks. My husband would often just go up and ask for something good thats non alcoholic and they would come up with something. They also had self serve beer taps. Tables with self serve wine, tequila (in all sorts of interesting flavours) rum, coffee, tea. They have slushie machines and soda fountains to help yourself with at all bars and buffets. Staff would often come to you in the lobby and get you a drink.

Theater - We only went to our theater. We were actually suprised how well done the shows are. It does get packed though if you go right before and there often only seating in the smoking areas which didnt suit me. We loved the Circus show and the Mayan Prehistorica. They try really hard and put on a good show. As far as the type where they pull people on stage we never saw that once at the ones we went to.

Beach - The beach is beautiful but gets pretty busy so we never could find chairs but prefered the pool area. We went snorkeling and could see lots of fish. It was pretty wavy the whole week but that kept a nice breeze at all times and so it was never too hot. We also went twice out to the "almost secret" lagoon at the end of the resorts. Its located past the Palace and we were often the only ones there or of very few. Lots of fish to see but no coral. Directions can be found on the unofficial barcelo maya website.

Shopping - There are many shops on site. We bought something from the Caribe gift shop. We went shopping at the shopping centre just past caribe but if your expecting a deal then dont count on it. Some stuff is ok priced but we have been many places and know whats worth paying for. They would not bargain at the kiosks much, even if it was 3 dollars less. We went into one shop where they claimed everythng was 30 percent off in store, then when we picked what we wanted well of course....thats not 30 percent off. Actually only this shelf is now...conviently..so we didnt buy anything. The airport was really expensive except the alcohol in the duty free. Had some deals.

Activities/Excursions - We didnt do too much. Were going to take out the water bikes but it was too wavy. My husband went on the ATV tour (I wasnt allowed) he enjoyed it. We liked the mini putt course.

Overall we liked this resort. They offered a lot to do, beautiful area, great food and entertainment. A large variety of people. It a little "americanized" but we expected that. Staff was polite and while some didnt speak good english we dont care, its thier country not ours. They tried thier best. Service was also good anywhere we went. Bars got busy at night and sometimes my husband had to wait a bit but they went as fast as they could. It was a great relaxing week :)

10 Thank evanescencetabby
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,831 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!