“Great Resort--BEAUTIFUL WEDDING!”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Houston, Texas
“Great Resort--BEAUTIFUL WEDDING!”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort. We arrived on Monday, April 20 and left Sunday, April 26.

When we checked in it was slightly annoying because they gave us the wrong room. We paid for a jr. suite and instead we were given a regular room. It was decorated very nicely, however, with beach towels, towel decorations on the bed and champagne and fruit. We were planning on getting married on the 24th. The bellboy came back as soon it was figured out, moved all our luggage and moved all our decorations to the correct room.

The beach is fantastic. It goes on forever and is very sandy in front of the Beach resort. I think the beach in front of the Beach resort is the best of the 5 Barcelo resorts. When we were there, the Caribe was closed so there was even more beach to spread out on. There was always a chair somewhere to be found and really no one puts their towels out early in the AM to get a chair.

The pool is very nice and is where our group of friends hung out most of the time. Again, there are always chairs to be found.

The bars are great and they'll make anything for you. The amount of alcohol really varied from bartender to bartender, but either way, the drinks were good.

The food is OK. We didn't end up eating in any of the restaurants because we had such a large group of people with us (38 guests for our wedding) that we didn't want to seclude ourselves. Our friends who did eat at the restaurants said they were good. Not outstanding, but better than the buffet and HUGE portions--a very nice break from the buffet. I'm not a picky eater and really didn't mind the buffet, but it did get a little old after a while. Breakfast was my favorite meal, omlettes, fruit, hot chocolate (probably too hot to drink it in Mexico, but good nonetheless)...it's just good!

The service is very good. I do have outstanding service to compare it to (El Dorado Seaside Suites where we spent our honeymoon) so I can say that they really do their very best. Somethings get overlooked, but as soon as you ask for something, they are happy to oblige and quickly.

--WEDDING--

Our wedding coordinator was Claudia--she was GREAT. I was nervous b/c of some lack of communication prior to the wedding, but once we got down there, we met, went over all the plans, had our blood test (no bruises, best draw I've ever had, in fact) and it was all handled perfectly. She and her co-workers really did an outstanding job.

I brought down all my decorations and she and her co-workers put them all up for the wedding and then the reception. Our wedding was at 3p and our reception started at 5p. They were timely and exceeded all our expectations.

The food at the wedding was GREAT and the cake (pineapple) was OUT OF THIS WORLD good! :-) We had 8 waitstaff (including 1 bartender) at our reception and the service was terrific!!! They really did a GREAT job, I can't say it enough.

We chose to have our reception inside and I'm glad we did. It was very hot and windy and everyone was pretty happy to get inside in the A/C. We did our own playlist on our iPOD and hooked it up to their speaker system and it worked beautifully. Now, I know there was a reception outside the day before my wedding and they sounded like they were having an awesome time, so no matter where your reception is, it's gonna be fun!

I would definitely go back to Barcelo and I would probably chose to stay at the Beach again. Even though it is the oldest of the buildings, I couldn't really tell and no matter what the pool and beach rocks and that's where I always spend most of my time!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank HMC28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mississauga
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My sister and I returned from our 7-night vacation at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort down in the Mayan Riviera last Friday. We stayed from April 17 to April 24 and I have to say that this vacation was pretty great.

We booked the trip through Signature Vacations (thank goodness I passed on the Conquest ones) two days before our trip and got a decent deal. When we arrived in Cancun, there was a Signatures rep waiting for us who told us which buses to board to our respective resorts. The buses were large, comfortable and most importantly, air-conditioned! The reps on the buses were friendly, knowledgeable and had cold Coronas ready to be purchased for $3USD each for the ride.

When we arrived at the hotel, it was an open-air concept lobby with staff waiting to help us with our luggage (even though we arrived there close to midnight). Luckily, we were able to get off the bus quickly and beat most of the other guests to the check-in. When I checked in, I asked for a room as close to the beach as possible or if there were any deluxe suites available for us to get a complimentary upgrade to. Normally, hotels should give you the upgrade for free if you ask since they're supposed to clean all rooms in a hotel no matter if someone is or isn't staying in it. However, the check-in girl said that we would have to pay for the upgrade but she would be able to switch us to another room. We said this was fine and after a very abrupt and hard to understand explanation of the the resort we headed to our room. The room was clean and looked nice. Not luxurious, but definitely clean. The air conditioner never fully seemed to work (was running 24/7) since the temp of the room was only slightly cooler than outside but the humidity remained in the room. The next day, we walked to the beach. It wasn't a long walk but after looking at a map, we noticed that our room was one of the furthest away from the beach. Since the walk was less than 5 minutes, though and we were already settled, we decided not to complain and just stick with it.

Food: The buffet was great, big selection that even had a diet conscious area with egg white omelettes for breakfast. Servers were courteous and removed all used flatware and plates as soon as you were done. We never got sick from any of the food we consumed and we both have sensitive stomachs (I even had a caprise salad and tuna sashimi that didn't make me sick). The ala carte restaurants at our resort were fine, though the spanish and steak house were moved to the outdoor grill house since the restaurant was undergoing construction. This was not good since the mosquitos were feasting on all of us dinner-goers. We did pay the extra $20USD to go to the French ala carte at the Maya Palace resort (travelled there via shuttle) and it was the best money ever spent! The hotel was a GORGEOUS one situated ontop of a cliff with the best views. The restaurant also had a balcony that you could have your table at with breath-taking views and protection from any high winds. Food was amazing too with my lobster capuccino (soup served in capuccino glass) and lobster thermador (two rock lobster tails!).

Beach/Pools: well maintained, clean and we never had a problem getting a chair at any time of the day. The beach was perfect: white sand, clean, clear water and you didn't have to go too far for it to get deep. The neighboring resort was undergoing construction and our resort wasn't even close to full so there weren't too many people there (again, perfect for relaxing). The other patrons consisted of older couples, some newlyweds and their wedding parties, and a few young families.

Nightlife: there was a disco on the resort but we never went. This was never the objective of the vacation (to party) so there was no point to us going.

Staff: Except for the cashier, everyone was friendly and we never had any issues with theft or uncleanliness in our room. The maids visited at least twice a day, once to clean and make the beds and another to turn the beds down, close blinds and replenish towels. Staff at the Palace though obviously spoke better english though overall everyone was ok. There were "activities" staff as well roaming about the resort encouraging people to participate in various activities from morning yoga, water aerobics, dancing, and bocce ball (to name a few). But once we told them that we weren't interested and what the purpose of our vacation was (to sleep and relax), they respected that and left us alone.

Shows: great shows with great bartenders who will make any drink for you. The Variety Show and Circus show were highlights.

Excursion: GO TO TULUM! Beautiful achelogical site with fantastic beach. This beach was one of the highlights of the trip. Fine, white sand, beautiful rocks/cliffs and deep water with huge waves (lifeguard on duty). This was SO MUCH FUN!

Towns: Playa del Carmen was close by ($2 ride on their "bus", not affliiated with the resort) but we didn't go. Heard from other vacationers that it was a lot bigger than expected and lots of shopping.

Acitivies: This resort is very close to coral reef and even just on the beach in knee deep water, schools of fish would swim by you. There were lots of tilapia-looking fish that were always by the dock and snorkelling equipment was free for an hour each day. Kayaks, wind-surfers and other watersport equipment was free as well and well maintained.

Sorry for the super-long post, but overall, a great trip and I would definitely return to this resort!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cici-la
louisville
Reviewed 30 April 2009

we stayed here march 14-24th..we took a private car from the airport to save time, great idea.check in was a breeze ,and we got right in our room.The room was very nice and large we requested a crib for our 13 month old it was there when we arrived.This hotel is so big I felt as if I was staying in a huge shopping mall not a boutique...there are lots of pathways to walk around the property on .I thought the grounds of the other properties were much prettier than ours.The pool is beautiful and huge,the beach is very nice and the snorkling is some of the best that I have seen.The food for the most part was good , I wish we had made reservations for the restraunts every night and not eaten the buffet.my biggest beef was the service,it took forever to get a highchair and forget a refil on your drink-just order two! my second biggest beef was the spring break crowd, parents included,very loud and disrespectful...

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank thepeepLouisville
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 29 April 2009

We stayed at the Palace in the Premium Club from April 19th - 26th and it was without a doubt the best resort for service and quality we have experienced. I won't detail every area of the resort - I'll just ouline what impressed us most.
- While any buffet becomes repetitive, the food quality was exellent. Steak at every meal - choice of tbone or striploin - where can you get that?
- Premium Club was nice - especially when I left my camera and they found it. Offered to Fedex it back but we were able to have another guest bring it home. Elsewhere it would have been gone!
- Hotel is spotless, turndown service every night was a nice touch
- Lobby bar was a great meeting place - gorgeous deck outiside to enjoy the view and sound of the ocean
- Service everywhere was exceptional - encountered one unhappy person all week
- Beach was rocky in places but just walk a few more feet and it's clear again
- Snorkelling was great - no need to take a tour
- We stayed in the Michaocan builiding - close to pool, lobby and buffet
- Sent an email the week before requesting 3rd floor room and had a 2nd floor - still great, just didn't want ground floor.
I could go on and on about the positives. I only had two very small negatives -the disco, Jaguars is quite the walk from the Palace, the path is not very well lit in my opinion and walking back wasn't great. Secondly, it's quite a distance to the airport - we had a private transfer and it was still an hour drive. However, it was worth it when we arrived in paradise!!

Go and have a great time!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HalifaxLisa
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2009

What a place! April 16-23, 2009, my husband, 9 yr old son and I took our first family vacation to Mexico. There is really no reason to leave the resort with the amount of activites offered. Many pools and 2 wonderful water-slide areas for the kids.
The Buffet was wonderful ~ food and service ~ Pedro, we miss you already.
All and all, I would highly recommend this resort if you are travelling to Mexico for the 2nd or more time and do not plan to leave the resort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank shawnacossey
Western NY
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I was here last week (April 19-26) with my husband and son and we all just loved it. First let me say that we were originally staying at the Tropical on the 50% off deal they ran for a few days on their website direct so we couldn't believe our luck when we drove up and they told us we had been upgraded!
From that point forward it was all pretty much perfect. Here are some of the highpoints for us.
Room: We took a Jr suite with 2 doubles so my son, who is taller than I am already, would not have to sleep on one of the daybeds. It worked out fine for us and he sure appreciated it. There is tons of room for clothes and the safe is a good size. Our first full day there we left a note that we needed extra beer and lite coke and when we came back we had an extra six pack of each on the counter plus the cold ones in the fridge. Room was made up everyday, even if we slept in.
Food: I was not impressed with the dinner buffet but my husband and son liked it. But breakfast and lunch buffets were fantastic. The a la cartes were great. When we arrived we booked those right away and they had an opening for our very first night at the caribe. We went and loved it. The beef tenderloin was to die for, cooked just the way I wanted. We did the French next and that was good too. The waiters were everywhere and we never had an issue with not getting the service we needed, and that goes for all the eateries; even the buffets. We also did italian and Bali-ha and both were also fantastic. They did anything that we asked for at all the restaurants and we never left hungry. And the tiramisu (sp?) at the italian was incredible!

We brought snorkel gear but I was worried after all the reviews of wind. No problem. We got 4 out of 7 days to go out without issue and it was great. Saw a couple of turtles and many fish, barracuda and stingrays. We also took our stuff and went in a cab to Akumal to swim with the turtles....this beach is beautiful. But it will be very crowded by 1:00 so try to go early. We had no problems while there and even though Lucy's tacos moved up the street to the other side of the busy hwy, we still bounded up the little hill and enjoyed her shrimp tacos for lunch. I will write a review on her place also. It is fantastic!
Bars: I never had a problem getting a drink at any of the bars, but I do agree that the lobby bar made the best of them. I spent one day at the pool by myself while the boys were out fishing and the pool waitresses were all over me all day....service was fantastic. I thought maybe it was just the spot I was in but then the next day I sat elsewhere and they were all over us again. There is also a gentleman named Jose that walks around the pool and beach areas and will sign you up for a massage if you like.

There is so much to do here that we barely even scratched the surface. We took a cab to Puerto Aventuras for a dolphin swim too and that was great. It was good to be on your own schedule with these little side trips. We had a great time there also.

Every morning I would get up early and make a travel mug of coffee to take with me and walk the whole perimeter of the resort. It helped to work off all the food!

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. There were little differences we noticed between the Tropical and Palace, like the balcony chairs being cushioned and glass top tables, as opposed to plastic furniture at the Tropical. Also, the crowd in general just seemed more subdued at Palace. We only saw one or two spring breakers and they were pretty mild. And we met a few nice people down at the pool to chat with so that also made it nice. Vacation is what you make it and we really enjoyed ourselves here. We were in the Oaxaca bldg, 3rd floor facing the jungle. Next year we will shoot for Club Prem. Last year we stayed at Sun Palace up in Cancun. Totally different experience and both have their good points but we needed a place where my son could join us and this was a great choice. I think it had more variety and better beach and grounds by far.

Also, Dixie from Co Springs, if you are out there, pm me. We never got to exchange email addresses!

We are already planning our trip back next year, so if you are booked here, go and enjoy. You will love it!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank travelcrazyinnewyork
Ottawa
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Although I travel to the Riviera Maya back in July 2008, I though I would write this review to help those out there that may find this helpful.

As said in all of my reviews, I am a 22 year old single male. When I go on vacations it is to get away from everyday life and to relax, be pampered and enjoy the local sites and culture. For this trip I went with my best friend, as this was sort of a birthday gift to myself as well as a new start as I had just come out of a 3 year relationship. This was a fresh start for me and really helped me to move on.

I planned my trip to the Barcelo Maya Palace for the 05Jul08 departure from Toronto Pearson International with Transat Holidays. It was an early afternoon flight from Toronto to Cancun. My travel companion and I drove from Ottawa to Toronto the night before and stayed with her family for the night so we would be able to get the airport on time with ease.

Our flight was with Air Transat. Check in was very smooth and quick. We had the opportunity to do a little bit of duty free shopping before boarding our flight to Cancun.
As of June 2008, Air Transat had reconfigured there aircraft seating to allow passengers an additional 2 inches of leg room. This was a comfortable flight, the service was attentive and the food was better than I had remembered. I was able to get my hands on some free beverage coupons prior to departure so I was able to have a champagne lunch.

Upon arrival into Cancun, there was a bit of a line at the customs and immigration, it took some time, however, every time I’ve been to this airport there always seems to be a bit of a line. Luggage arrived at the carousel in a prompt timing. One thing to mention *VERY IMPORTANT* on the walk from the luggage pick up to the exit doors of the airport where you are to pick up your luggage, there will be individuals dressed up like some of the major tour operator representatives. If these individuals do not have the tour operator logo on there shirts or are not holding your tour operators logo on a sign…they are not tour operator representatives. These are people who are out to sell you excursion packages, time shares, and other crap that you do not need. They have been known to cause some individuals a lot of grief on their vacations and also some serious financial loss. These people can be very aggressive, manipulative and cause you to miss your scheduled transfer to the resort. This could be a problem because then you must find your own way to the resort, which means more money out of your pocket. All I can say is be careful! And keep walking until you get out the exit doors. It is out here that you will find the Tour Operator representatives.

The day after guests arrive at destination there is usually an orientation given by the Destination Representative from the tour operator you have traveled with. I highly recommend going to this as they will provide you with some very useful information on the area itself, things to do and not to do, places to visit and not to visit as well and information of excursions that are available.

The bus transfer from the Cancun Airport to the Barcelo Maya Complex is anywhere between 1hour 15min and 1hour 45mins. It all depends on how many other resorts passengers are dropped off at on the way.

Palace Resort and Accommodations
I had been to this resort complex 6 months prior to my planned vacation on a Familiarization Trip. I loved the Barcelo Maya Colonial so much that I wanted to come back to this resort complex again. Upon arrival at the lobby of the Barcelo Maya Palace, we were escorted to the check in counter. The lobby is stunning, marble floors and has a very open and spacious concept. Check in was seamless. The lead in category at this resort is a Junior Suite, however they do have suites available as well. There is also and opportunity to upgrade to their Premium service which gets you a room with an Oceanview and premium brand beverages. The rest of the rooms at this resort are Gardenview. There are very nice as they are more quiet then the ocean view rooms. The rooms offer 2 double beds or 1 king bed in the room. The junior suites were a great size, very spacious and luxurious. There was a separate seating area with 2 sofas and a large balcony or terrace. The back rooms have a double vanity with 2 bowl like sinks, toilet, bathtube with shower and than a separate rain fall shower beside the bath tube (yes you heard me correctly…there are 2 showers. The room has dark mahogany like furnishings.

Pools
This resort have a very large pool area with a swim up bar. Possibly the largest pool I have ever seen. There are plenty of loungers available by the pool area as well as the ceramic lounger built in the pools. Swim up bar is available in the main pool area. There is plenty or shade available for those who do not like being in the sun all day. There is also a separate pool area specifically for adults. There are day beds available at this adult’s only section. There is a bar dedicated to this area as well, however it was not a swim up bar. A little tip, it you tip the bartender really well at the beginning of the day, he will continually bring you drink.

Beach
The beach at this complex is possibly one of the nicest beaches in the Riviera Maya. It is a 2 km stretch of beach which is great for walking. There is a board walk that runs down the beach for the entire complex. This goes from the Barcelo Maya Palace right down to the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. To be very honest, the beach right in front of the Palace is rather coarse and there is coral in the water. To avoid having your feet look like raw hamburger, take a 30 second stroll down the beach to the Tropical and Colonial section right next door. The beach here is great with powder white sand. You may use the bar and restaurant facilities at all the resorts around the complex.

Food and Restaurants
The Barcelo Maya Palace has 6 Restaurants for it’s resort guests. There are 2 different buffet restaurants. The Hacienda Buffet which is open for breakfast and dinner. There is also the Mirador Buffet which is only open for dinner. The Coral Grill is open for lunch only. There are 3 different a la carte restaurant available exclusively for the guests in the Palace Section. The French restaurant which I found to be very good. They had a good variety of traditional French items on the menu. Many of these item include fish and shellfish, however they do have many other options as well. The Caribbean restaurant was our favorite. Fresh seafood and fish prepared to order. They did have other options on the menu as well that cater to people who are not into seafood. My travel companion had the filet mignon. It was superb. The Brazilian is the last of the exclusive a la carte restaurants to the Palace guests. This restaurant was just ok. They serve up different cuts of meat with potatoes and rice. Some very interesting meat selections. You will have the opportunity to try Donkey, Iguana Sausage (tastes like chicken), Blood sausage, Beef and Pork. It’s unfortunate that all the meat seemed to be marinated in the same marinade. As these are exclusive to Palace guests, patrons from the other resorts on the complex must pay to use them. There are 6 other restaurants available to you from around the complex. There is the Mexican restaurant at the Barcelo Beach. The food here was good. Traditional Mexican food. The Spanish restaurant is between the Colonial and the Caribe sections serving up Spanish flare. There is Bali Hai at the Colonial and Tropical sections serving Asian Fusion cuisine. This restaurant is always booked so book your reservation early if you plan to get into this one. There is also a Steakhouse, Seafood and Italian restaurants available for reservations. With the Prestige Class Inclusions from Transat Holidays, when staying at the Palace you will receive 5 guaranteed reservations at the a la carte. You may book these upon your arrival with the concierge in the Lobby. There are many other eatery options available to your from around the complex. There are the buffet restaurants at each the resort sections available to you as well. This provides a better variety as the resorts do not necessary serve up the same menu. We would rotate between the buffet at the Palace and the buffet at the Colonial. For lunch as the Coral Grill can be repetitive, we would take a quick Stroll down the beach to Captain Morgans. They serve up fresh to order burgers, chicken, and fish dishes as well as plenty of Margaritas.

Spa and Fitness
The Palace does have it’s own spa available to guests providing a wide variety of treatment options. There are also massage beds available on the beach. The fitness center and hot tub are located between the Colonial and the Caribe section. There is only one hot tub on the complex and it is hidden in the fitness area. This is a very busy place especially before and after dinner. The hot tub has a capacity of 8 to 10 people.

The Complex
This resort complex is made up of 5 different sections. Starting with the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. This is the oldest resort in the complex. Although there have been refurbishments done to this property, it has a more traditional Mexican feel to as in the décor and surroundings. The accommodation are on the more basic side offering standard room accommodations. The Barcelo Maya Caribe is the next section over. Again more of a traditional Mexican feel and standard accommodations. The Barcelo Maya Colonial and Tropical are next in line. They offer a higher standard of accommodation. Lead in room category is Deluxe Room, which are spacious and well appointed with large bathrooms and very private balconies. As the resorts in this entire complex are built back from the beach, most of the rooms are gardenview. Junior suites are available. These rooms are ocean/pool view. To this the newest addition is the Palace Resort which is at the North end of the complex.

Entertainment
There are daily activity programs available around the complex during the day. The water sports center is location on the beach by the Colonial section. Non motorized sports are included in your package. There are 2 kids waterparks available on the complex. One at the colonial and one at the Palace. Barcy’s Kids club is also available for parents that fancy some alone time (or wives that are looking to drop their husbands off before going to the spa). In the evening, there are a variety or choices for evening entertainment. There are 3 theatres around the complex offering different shows at each on a nightly basis. Some of them are very good and others are not. The lobby bar is a nice classy place to sit down and have a drink and good conversation. /you have the option of being outside or indoors with air conditioning.

Excursions
The Riviera Maya has an abundance of different excursions to offer it’s guests. You there are so many to choose from that you could come back 10 years in a row and do something different every time. During our stay we had the opportunity to meet with our destination representative. He was very informative on the different products that were available to us and arranged everything for us as well. We decided on doing the Coba Mayan Village with All Tour Native. This is an excellent tour company as the guide are very knowledgeable about the history and surrounding area. This was a full day tour. It was approx $124.00US per person and well worth the expense. They pick you up at the hotel and bring you to there head quarters located in the town of Tulum, you will be able to enjoy a good cup of coffee. For our tour we did the Coba ruins first thing in the morning, as it was July and very hot we were happy that it happened in this order. You arrive at the entrance of the Coba park and have an orientation with an archeologist about what some of the structure and building in the area are and what they were used for. After this briefing, you will have the opportunity to climb the tallest Mayan Ruin in the area. However, before you get to the ruin there is a 2 kms distance to get to the actual ruin. You have the option of walking the distance, renting a bike for $3US or renting a “Mayan Limousine” which is a bike with a seat at the front of it, there is a driver so there is no work required. If are are looking to climb up the ruin, the mayan limo is the way to go as you may be tired afterwards. The Mayan Limousine is approx $11US. After this you will have a short ride to one of the areas Cenotes (underground freshwater caves). You will have the opportunity to have a quick swim. The water is cool but really refreshing as you will be hot from the Coba climb. From here you will go to a traditional mayan village and have a traditional mayan lunch. After lunch you will do a zip line and repelling down a cliff. There is also time for a little bit of shopping for Mayan hand crafts. After this you head back to the resort.

The other excursion we did was to Xel-ha. This is kind of like an Eco-Park. It’s all inclusive so your meals and beverages are included. You have a chance to do some snorkeling and other activities such as snuba diving and swimming with Dolphins (additional $$$). The cost was approx $115.00 per person for the full day. This was ok, but once you have been, there’s no real reason to go back unless you really liked it. We going to Xel-ha they will try to hit you up for everything they have to offer at an additions cost. (ie. Biodegradable Sunscreen). I bought some biodegradeable sunscreen here in Canada and apparently it wasn’t good enough. So they made me buy theirs at $15.00 for a small tube.

Playa Del Carmen
I highly recommend going into Playa Del Carmen at least once during your stay. There is an opportunity for some great shopping and good bargains on Jewelry and handcraft items. This make for a really inexpensive night out and a great way to spend an evening. From the entrance of the complex you can catch the collective into Playa Del Carmen. It’s $2.00US per person and drops you off a block away from Fifth Avenue. This runs until approx 11pm. Taxis are also available however they do cost more.

Currency
When traveling to Mexico in general the easiest thing to do is to convert your Canadian Dollars into US Dollars. You can also convert into Mexican Pesos. I personally just find it easier to bring US currency and it is widely accepted everywhere. In regards to travelers cheques, I get this question a lot. It is best to avoid travelers cheques as they can be hard to cash and there is usually a processing fee to cash them.

Duty Free
The Cancun airport is a mecca for duty free items. They have all the international brands for cigarettes and alcohol available to you and usually always have some really good promotions (2 bottles of Absolut Vodka for $22.00US).

Gay and Lesbian Travel
Mexico has always been a hot spot for Gay and Lesbian travelers alike. Although, just like anywhere you have to be cautious, the general attitude toward Gay and Lesbian individuals is quite positive. When it comes to acts of homophobia, it isn’t usually the residence of Mexico that have an issue, it’s usually some of the guests staying in Mexico. Just be cautious and have a great time. Most importantly…be yourself!

Should anyone have any questions about the area or resorts, I would be more than happy to answer them for you. I am very familiar with this area and other resorts in the area as well.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!