“Barcelo maya palace , Riviera Maya”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 3 July 2009

My Youtube videos links at the end of the review

Well lets start saying that the only reason I give 4 to this Hotel is because I personally have a couple of issues .

- Very Beautiful hotel Inside and outside:
.Resort grounds are one of the most beautiful I have seen , their have a detail in every single corner , lot of lamps , Statues , Painting , Furniture,plants everywhere , It was unbelievable how they keep the resort in such good and clean way ,
.Rooms are very spacious with two sofa and a king size bed , lots of closets and room ,Bathroom is beautiful with two shower rains , one on the tub and one next outside , Very handy when traveling with your spouse and came back from the pool or beach.Plasma TV around 42" in front the bed .

Pool and beach :

.Pool is one of the majors feature of this hotel . It is enormous with a dark blue tile all around that make it looks elegant , Pool deep is around 4 ft all the way around , No deep places , Wet-bar is great but as the cascade and water pipes only works till 5 pm
Kids-pool is a great addition it was fun even for me (Im not so kid) . 100s seats and two beach on the pool allows to take sun even without leaving the water .I guess water is hot cause a heater but on a cloudy day water can turn a little cold cause the pool size , no a big deal.

.Beach was not one of the best however snorkeling was great even better than some dive places , Lots of fishes corals and more marine life , very recommended . Fishes are so friendly that you can touch them when they get closer .

Food , Drinks and restaurants :

.Food was great ( Im Hispanic ) Most of the food was international even sometime less Hispanic type food that I will considerate ,I will said that they try to have more American and European food that even Mexican

.All restaurants were very good , Buffet vary the food every day , lots of shrimps,Fish,Hamburger and grill
A la carte restaurants are not my favorites but the caribean was great , Brazilian was very good but too much beef ( 6 different kinds ) ome salad with no more for eat.
I did a reservation on the French but I didn't went so no comments.

Drinks are pretty good Im still half drunk . Premium drinks combined with the bartenders skills make you wants to come every night to the bar at least for one drink .

Good Drinks:
Bandera mexicana , Arcoiris , Riviera maya ,Isle of coconuts and Mojito(highly recommended )

Not so good:

Sex on the beach , Bahamamama , Musslide

Hotel was no full but enough for me even some days with a little more peoples service decreased ( they don't know how to serve a 3/4 hotel full)

WHY I DID GIVE 4 STAR
-I paid $32 for 18 min call to Miami , $20 for a phone card and then later when you call from you room they will charge you $5 more for every call you made which is insane , They never said that if you call from you room even with a PH card they will charge you for the connection . Im from USA and to me doesn't make sense to get out of my room to placa a call having a phone next to my bed ( yes guys USA is as easy as that but thats the way it is ) they didn't want to understand so at the end I end paying the exttra money

- Internet was suppose to be wireless at lobby and wire internet in the room however it was not working for 5 days , It cost me 10 trips to the lobby to get passwords and user login and after 10 trips I end paying internet service $3 for 15 min ( not a big deal but considering that internet was suppose to be included $3 for 15 min was a rip ) I tell them to feel like they only care to get the extra money they was suppose to give you at least 30 min free internet to compensate the internet problems .

- They try to charge me room service for 2 wine @ $200 each but after 40 min at lobby everything was fine.

-The last two hotels were closed including the restaurants and all amenities which no one tell me before booking . but anyway 3 hotels was great enough

-Disco Jaguar was a good place with girls dancing on top of the bars ,nice lights ,lots of seats ,Good drink service , However was not fun I count maybe 40 peoples .maybe it was just not the right day

Places to go outside the resort

Hidden words greaaaaaat nice place with ziplines cenotes bike over the jungle and a very friendly staff also not crowded .Food was great but expensive ,Park Highly recommended

Playa del carmen was not what Idid expected , everyone trying to sell cheap stuff and tour , they make you crazy , Deals to get tours or cars for visiting a hotel or timeshare are not recommended ( not matter how good it can sound you will lose you time and some money )
If renting a car your hotel will be a wise decision

Tulum is a very nice place for pictures and history , not much more to do , dont use a tour ( tulum price is only 51 pesos)
If not REnting a car best option are the public buses , White van that stop everywhere you need and cost very cheap , two peoples Bus from Hotel to Tulum only $12 roundtrip and other $9 for the enter .So at the end you paid $ 21 for Tulum tour.

Very safe place to go around , don't be scare to get buses and explore by youself . Mix with locals and go to the little towns was a great experience too.

I will come back ASAP ....... Thank you Mexico and Barcelo for such a beautiful place.

BY THE WAY .... AMERICAN AIRLINE YOU ARE SUCK IN ALL THE WAYS . I WILL TRY TO NOT NOT FLY WITH YOU ANYMORE ....

LAN CHILE YOU ARE THE BEST PLEASE GET A LINE TO MEXICO TX

Youtube videos :

(------)
(----)
(------)
(----)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Florida2where
Write a ReviewReviews (8,991)

Reviewed 2 July 2009

Recently got back from the palace and had an amazing time. We both found the food to be excellent. You can also eat or get drinks at any of the other sister properties all accessible by tram-car. The service was also excellent. The only negatives were the distance from Playa Del Carmen and the hardness of the beds. Definitely going back next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Just got bk fr. Barcelo last nite ( June 30th). This is word of advise for Hoyt posting. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We paid only 140.00 round trip with Shuttle Cancun direct. I did not find a language barrier with any employees. They should have link lock on door for extra security, I have same bad experience in Jamaica with someone came in our room while we were sleeping, scary. A chair against the door works. Its best to lighten up during vacation.

Bathroom was large, modern, best shower. Best pool, we did not have enough time to go into the adult pool. Plenty of chairs to go around. All the good cmnts fr. others are true. Great food, facitities, etc. We shall return.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pma888
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We were 3 couples staying here from June 11th-19th. We have staryed at the Barcelo Bavaro Caribe in the DR and this is definitely much better and nicer. We had the time of our lives!! We had a little issue checking in- mainly our rooms were a good 10 min walk away from one another but by the next day we had rooms right next to each other and it was great. The rooms are huge and bathrooms great. Housekeeping was very good with turndown service almost every night, she would even lay out my makeup in the bathroom perfectly on a town next to the sink. Our fridge always had some snacks and plenty of water, soda (never even drank it!) and beer. No need to bring shampoo, conditioner, bathwash or loofah! Almost everything is provided to you. My fiance loved the shaving cream. If you forget anything, dont worry- its already in your room just in case.
The food was amazing whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. We ate at the Rodizio (brazilian), Japanese Hibachi (at the colonial hotel), French and the Steakhouse called the Capri. All were fantastic.
The drinks were great and Ulises at the Adult pool bar made some really good shots with cool names. He was our favorite bartender. The pools were really nice and it wasnt too hard to find a place to put your stuff down in the afternoon whether it was the large pool or the adult pool. The beach was absolutely beautiful and we went snorkeling off to the left of the beach almost everyday. It was a little rocky just as you walked in but nothing to get all upset about. The beach is very long so if you want to do kayaks and windsurfing you have to go all the way to the end at the Beach Hotel beach. You just continue right after the pier. I would recommend bringing your own snorkeling gear so you dont have to walk all the way down the end to borrow it. We saw sea turtles everyday in the ocean when we would be floating on our rafts.
We never went to the Theater b/c we always had late reservations but we always went to the lobby bar to play cards and just hang out and that was good for us. We did go to the disco one night but it was a younger crowd, but it was still fun to be in that atmosphere for a night.
Wish there were some more activities to do at night like even a sports bar. I think there is a sports bar but its at a different hotel and we had a hard enough time finding our way around our own hotel the first couple days, never mind the rest of them. The service was top notch at all times and we really loved Paulina at the Lobby bar. She was so great to us and we miss her dearly!! I would definitely stay here again and again. We loved Mexico and def love the Barcelo Maya Palace. We also did the Tulum Extreme tour and that was a lot of fun.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank luv2travel85
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I am somewhat perplexed by the negative reviews about this resort. We have traveled extensively through the Carribean and Mexico and have stayed in mostly 5 Star resorts. Having only stayed in one All inclusive, which was horrible, we were very skeptical about another All Inclusive. But much to our surprise the Barcelo Maya Palace was AMAZING.
We did upgrade our rooms to the Club Premium. We had a Corner One Bedroom Suite and a Deluxe Junior Suite, both rooms were Ocean Front in the Oaxaca Building and had truly spectacular views of the ocean. We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters 14 and 10. The One Bedroom has only one coach, so it was necessary to have a roll away in our room (we were aware prior to arrival and had request the roll away in advance). This was easily accommodated and was very comforatable to sleep on according to my 14 year old. The One bedroom had a huge living area and bathroom. The terrace wrapped around the the entire corner with a hammock, 2 loungers and a table and chairs. Also traveling with us was my sister-in-law and niece, they found the junior suite more than enough room for the 2 of them. Now I know some may feel the club premium isn't worth the money, but I disagree. The ocean front location is close to the pool, lobby and all the restaurants. The property is very large and if you're in a building toward the enterance to the resort you can be walking quite a bit. The check-in is seperate from the front desk in the club lounge, with personal service from their conceirge. We had the pleasure of working with Karen most of the time who is lovely and extremely accommodating. At the time of check in make your reservations for the resturants. An additional advantage to the club premium is the unlimited al carte restaurant reservations. We were so surprised by the food at the ala carte restaurants. It was really good. The menus are somewhat limited so take the time to review them prior to making your reservations. We ate a the Brazilian, French, Carribean, Seafood and Steak house. All of which we enjoyed. Can't say we had an overall favorite, everyone seemed to enjoy different things in each. But the quality of food and service was outstanding, The buffets have something for everyone breakfast, lunch and dinner. Many cook to order items such as omelets in the moring and shrimp, steak, pasta and tacos at lunch and dinner. There is so much to choose from. The walk to the neighboring hotels is short so take advantage of their restaurants as well.. There is a path along the ocean which has great views and almost always beautiful ocean breezes.
Now for the beach and pool, SPECTACULAR!!!!!! I don't think we have every seen a pool as large as this one. Never did you feel crowded. The kids were in heaven. Make sure to grab a schedule when you check in. It lists all the activities for both adults and kids and even has activities for rainy days. We had no problem with getting drinks pool side. A couple of bucks goes a long way. We only encountered hard working, pleasent Mexicians. Adelia was lovely and always around went you needed a refreshment. You have premium liquor available with the upgrade, but don't assume you will get it without asking. Always let them know your liquor of choice and you won't be disappointed.
As for the beach, truly beautiful. As some people have said in past reviews there are some rocky parts, but that adds to the beauty of this beach area and the snorkling. Don't misunderstand, this is not a rocky beach, the sand is soft white and powdery. You will encounted rocks in the rocky areas, which you can easily determine with the naked eye. When walking into the ocean there is a small area of shells at the point where the waves beak on the shoreline. Just be sure to walk slowly when entering and exiting the water and you should have no need for water shoes. The water is clear and warm. I do suggest bring snorkling gear. There is so much to see and explore, having it at your disposal when you want is great. Remember to bring extra sun screen, the sun in Mexico is hot, hot, hot and it will cost you an arm and a leg to purchase extra on the property.
We found the maid service to be top rate. Never did we have an issue with our room being cleaned. We are early risers and were out and about by 8:30 and didn't return to the room until 6pm. Each day our room was cleaned and restocked. We did tip the maid $4-5 each day and a left a couple of dollars for the people restocking the bar. Each night the kids had towel animals on their beds, nice touch. A quick FYI, bring a lot of singles for tipping. When exchanging money at the front desk they often do not have small bills(pesos) available. Make sure to fill your ice bucket, unfortunately the small refrig. don't do the best job keeping the items cold.
It is worth the extra money to arange private transportation from the airport and back. It is about an hour ride, so not having to stop at any other hotel to drop people is worth it. We used Cancun Transfers, which cost $150 round trip. We booked online and found them very professional and easy to communicate with online. Some always answers your question with a retun email. Even had to change our pick up and had no problem at all.
Also with the upgrade you get free internet access and the club lounge, they have 4 computers. Or in your room if you bring your computer. Make sure to check with your airlines prior to departure, we heard a couple of stories about flights being changed and cancelled.
All in all it was an amazing vacation and we are already trying to decide when to return.

7  Thank Skylivi
Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband, our 15 year old son, another couple and their 14 year old daughter and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace from June 19 to 24. There is not much to say that has not already been said about this resort. It was fantastic. The food great, the rooms wonderful, the people friendly and the snorkling was amazing.

My son and I spent at least two hours each day in the water looking at the many, many different fish. We saw several sting rays, Bob the Baracuda and one small sea turtle in addition to all the fish. Truly, if you want a vacation where there is sea, sand and snorkling, this is the place to go. You do not have to leave the resort at all.

However, we did catch a cab and head to Akumal for part of one day. We went to Ya Kul Lagoon and got there early enough for there not to be crowds. Wow. We saw a lot of different fish in this lagoon. My son and I swam the entire length of the lagoon and out to the sea. It was very, very cool.

We ate at the French, Thai and Italaian restuarants. The French was the best, the Thai next and the Italian okay. Although, I must admit that I am not much of an Italian fan. The buffet was great--good variety and all food was fresh. We had no stomach issues at all.

I walked (okay ran) the entire complex several days. The older hotels have much more mature plants, landscaping. The two hotels on the south end seemed deserted. The entire beach had maybe 2 people on it. The other two hotels seemed a little more lively than the palace and had a lot more little children (children who were not teens.)

We walked the entire beach from the palace south to the old Xpu Ha Resort. We also walked the beach north of the Palace. I could not find the lagoon. I guess I am just not good at following directions. Maybe next year, I will find it.

Also, the pools were georgeous, but I have to admit to not getting in them even once. I just could not justify it with the beach so close, so beautiful and constantly calling me in!

I definately recommend the Barcelo Maya Palace and will be going back next year!

9  Thank phall
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This began when we arrived at the Cancun Airport and we were supposed to have been met by a taxi service arranged by the Barcelo Reservations for a total of $210.00 roundtrip transfer - there was no taxi - after calling the hotel directly - we found out that they did not offer this service, but we were charged for it - had to get another taxi for $120.00 cash one way. Arrived at hotel - had to argue to get them to remove the transfer charge from our bill even though this service was not offered. They did finally remove it - The next night at 1:00am a man entered our room with a room key, turned on the lights and my husband jumped out of bed and the man left the room quickly - afraid to follow the man, we called security - they found nothing and after checking the key card , the hotel staff told us we either imagined the intruder or left our door open because their computer showed no entry at that time. Balogne, we had an intruder and the only thing we could do for the remainder of our stay was to put a chair in front of the door. No one else came in. The next problem we encountered was the final bill charge - it was done in pesos and I checked our credit card bill online before we left the resort only to find out the hotel had overcharged us even with the 3% conversion rate to american dollars. The hotel only refunded part of the over charge even though we had our credit card company explain to the manager that they had over charged us - he would hear of none of this. The language barrier was terrible - if you do not speak spanish do not go to this resort - they had a really hard to understanding what you might need.

The resort itself was very nice, nice pool area. The beach was nice but the ocean did have lots of rocky areas so you had to be careful where you walked to prevent your foot from getting cut. I recommend water shoes. Not many water sports - as noted in the online information about the resort - they did have snorkeling - you had to leave money to use the equipment but we were told the snorkeling was not good so we did not try it. I did not see windsurfing or kayaks - just the jet ski which you had to pay extra to do.

The food was okay - I will say the "French" and the "Japanese" restaurants had good food. The Brazilian served mostly raw meat so we did not eat hardly anything in that restaurant.

Needless to say we will probably never return to Mexico - and especially this resort. They were not accommodating at all. There were events going on at the hotel all the time, but no one told you anything about them - you just had to find out somehow on your own. They needed a daily paper describing what they offered in the different locations - that would hae been so helpful.

Enough - you get the general idea that we had a pretty rough time. I hope this helped anyone else trying to set up a nice relaxing vacation.

6  Thank hoyt624
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!