“Second time in 8 months. We love Barcelo Maya Palace”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We first visited Barcelo Maya Palace in December of 08 and absolutely loved it. Since my older daughter is entering college and won't be able to go with us later in a year, we decided to go in August. This time around we splurged on a Club premium package, so we got an ocean front room at the Oaxaca building, complimentary use of the Club lounge with free internet, drinks and snacks. It was great to remember where everything is, since we just visited 8 months ago. My son loved the kids club (Club Barcy), he really enjoyed all the activities. We enjoyed the beach. The water was beautiful, clear and warm. We saw fish swimming right by our feet and lots of turtles. The hotel is gorgeous. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The food was OK, breakfast and lunch were great, dinner was OK. As far as ala cart restaurants, we loved French and were not too impressed with the Caribbean. We highly recommend Barcelo Maya Palace to anyone who wants to really relax and be pampered.

2  Thank calitravelerSo_Cal
Write a ReviewReviews (8,701)

Reviewed 18 August 2009

I have visited the Riviera Maya several times and this is by far the best resort I have stayed at.

The location is approx. 1 hr & 30min from the Cancun airport by car. I always rent a car from the airport, the drive is an easy one.

The beach is awsome, swim with the sea turtles and feed the fish while you hang out in the warm Carribean for hours. The sand is white and the water is clear.

The pool, nice hang out at the pool bar, if you have kids they will enjoy the kids club and the water slide mini park.

Very close to many activities, including Mayan ruins, zip lining, eco parks and cenotes.

The food, buffet is great, many choices and some cooked to order.

Overall worth every penny.

3  Thank skubo
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My daughter and I took this trip both our first time to mexico & an all inclusive. I researched for months and decided this was where we should go. The resort was friendly, fabulos and accomadating. The food was so great and you always had so much to choose from. Every night was a different theme. We were handed glasses of champagne once when we went into dinner. Since we stayed 7 nights we were guaranteed 2 seats at 2 of the 3 speciality restuarants, of which were also wonderful. There was always some place to eat and plenty of it. The entertainment was top quality. Every night there was a different show and even a Miss Barcelo contest and some nights there was audience participation. The rooms were clean and fresh. Our mini fridge was restocked daily. We always left $2.00 in the fridge for the maids & they decorated our beds with animal towels. The only complaint was the bed which was so hard. I did call and they brought in a rollaway, so i slept on that. We had a view on the 3rd floor of the tropical jungle like area. All in all very impressive. The staff was great. There were people from all over the world who came back either every year or were returning past guest. This was a great trip and I felt safe enough that my 15 y/o would meet up with some of the new friends she had meant & go to the disco every night. You'll have a great time here, love the atmospher and the resort. I'd go back. Now they have added 2 more areas to the already great place. Kid friendly and adult areas as well. Prestine beach & water. Lots of things to do without even leaving the resort. I'm planning an apple square deal 5 vacation in 38 days to the riveria mexico. Very excited! I planned this trip with 2 of my girlfriends. Just wish I knew where we might end up. As long as it's a 5 star I guess you can't go wrong. I'd love it if anyone has recently done this could give some insight & or comments. Happy vacation!

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank texasgirlDallas_Tx
Reviewed 13 August 2009

The is a wonderful all inclusive, from the mini bar to the Johnnie Walker Black label to the Hobie Cats. Excellent food. The staff are always cheerful and accomodating and the grounds perfectly kept. But...
It is a VERY large resort. Walking to the restaurant may be half a mile and the sail boats close to a mile from your room. Golf carts are available for rent ($80 per day).
The on site dive operator (Dressel Divers Club) is extraordinarily expensive ($200 for a 2 tank cenote dive compared with Hidden Worlds who charge $100), and their service level is poor compared with other top of the line dive operators in the area. We had to carry all our gear (including weight belts) to and from the boat and they required us to rinse the rental gear before returning it. At $135 for a 2 tank dive with rental gear, I expect white glove service. Unless you want the on site convenience, go elsewhere.

2  Thank reefdiverAtlantaGA
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Wy wife and I stayed at Barcelo Palace the first week of August and throughly enjoyed it.
There have been so many accolades for this place, and all of them true.
It was our first experience in an all inclusive resort and we couldn't imagine how it could have been any better. Although there were quite a few families, as a couple in our ealry 50's we certainly didn't feel out of place.

We used the "collectivo" as our mode of transportation. It was always an adventure, but worked for us.

I may never be able to compare another resort to the Barcelo, because I doubt that I would try anything besides the Barcelo.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dougup
Reviewed 12 August 2009

This place is AWESOME!!!
If you are looking to have fun, eat great food & great accomodations, this is the place!
I travel for business and I'm not impressed easily, Barcelo Maya Palace impressed me.

Staff is very pleaseant, food is delicious - must try the Japanese Restaurant - pool is huge, good entertaiment, plenty of choices for everything & everybody.

Kids club is great, my son wanted to stay every day.

5  Thank dfeliz
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We recently stayed at the Palace-Club Premium, and I definately think the cost was worth it. We got better rooms and got all of our choices for the ala cartes (although we were flexible on time). You get less choices of ala cartes if you are not club premium.The alcohol was top shelf too, but you had to ask for it. The all inclusive is the way to go.
The grounds, pools, beach, rooms were all nice. My husband, who is a picky eater, enjoyed the buffets. There was something for everyone. The 2 best restaurants were the Japanese steakhouse Bali Hai and the French. I didn't care for the Brazilian, and the Italian started off good, but the pasta stunk.
We had beautiful weather everyday . The kids enjoyed snorkeling right in front of the hotel and swimming in the huge pool. We had a relaxing beach day in front of the Caribe/Beach section which is currently being renovated.
I thought it was alittle quiet at night, and I wanted to drag my family and kids to Playa del Carmen, but everyone was too tired from the days activities. I did see some of the shows at the Barcelo, which were very well done.
We did alot of activities outside the hotel which I had booked in advance after reading up on the trip advisor forums. My husband and son also took scuba lessons on site and took 2 dives. (My son is hooked now). I wish we had stayed longer because there is so much to do in the area and not enough time to do it all.
Hints:
bring your own snorkel equipment
bring bug repellent for the mosquitos at night
book your own private transfer to and from the hotel
swim by the pier to see alot of big fish
bring comfortable shoes for alot of walking
bring bubba kegs and your own rafts
go explore the area: tulum, jump in a cenote, snorkel in a cave, take a catamarran ride
have fun!

#71 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!