“Married in Paradise”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wisconsin
“Married in Paradise”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We chose Barcelo Maya Palace for the site our our Destination Wedding and we don't regret a thing!

We arrived at the lobby around 1, were given a complimentary drink, and were able to check into our room right away. There was no wait. We booked our restaurant reservations and had amazing meals at the Brazilian, French, and Japenese restaurants. My personal favorite was the Japenese.

As for the reports about how big the resort is and needing a trolley to get around, I was nervous about that as many of our guests stayed at the Colonial. However, we walked back and forth from Palace to Colonial several times a day, it is not at all a bad walk.

The resort did a great job with the wedding, it truly was perfect! Beautiful setting, great food at the reception, attentive staff...Perfect!

Other than that, we spent 90% of our time at the Palace pool. We lounged under the palapas and swam back and forth to the pool bar for drinks. We never had a problem getting a spot, it wasn't busy enough. I rarely had to wait at the bars. I agree with other posters who have said that servers didn't come around too often to where you were sitting around the pool, but that was not a problem for me. It didn't bother me to swim to the bar for a drink.

I stayed 7 nights. Normally towards the end of a trip I'm ready to go home. I can honestly say that was not the case this time. I would have loved to stay longer!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank WisconsinTravelbug09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Went 1st wk of Sept w/21 yr old son. Birthday gift and what a surprise we were upgraded upon arrival from the Barcelo Colonial to the Palace!! Love travelling to Mexico 1st time to Mayan not my last. 5 A la cartes great buffet .Room incredible & close to beach. Staff wonderful, pool huge w/swim up bar. 2 different theatres for evening entertainment. Great people from N America, England, Europe. The beach was wonderful, snorkelling great and heard scuba was superb as well. Went to Tulum and Xel Ha great day away from resort. Not a bad experience from arrival to departure. Only 2 hotels open 3 closed and still felt really empty. We were certainly spoiled and would return in a heartbeat. Enjoy!!

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank SunseekersToronto
lisam0711
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I loved the Barcelo Palace. I was a little weary because of some of the reviews, but absoltely loved my stay there.

Food: The food was pretty good. All the buffets werent open because of the low occupancy, but the breakfast was my family's favorite. Its not the traditional pancake, eggs and bacon breakfast that many American's love (although they did offer those) but we loved it!

The buffet pretty much had the same thing everyday because it was the only one open for breakfast and dinner. The Coral grill was open for lunch and had the same thing for every lunch.

The French restaurant was amazing! The Carribbean was good. We didnt care for the Brazillian. They serve you 7 different meats at different times.

Pools and Oceans: They were amazing! The only complaint is that the beach was a little rocky, but who cares? It was great! The pools were absolutely beautiful. There wasnt very many people there so the pools or beach were never full, and we didnt have to wait for a seat.

The Hotel and Rooms: Both were beautiful. I was a little worried about how big the hotel was because some of the reviews made it sounds huge. It was a big hotel, but you could walk everywhere. If you wanted to go to the other hotels, like the tropical or colonial, you would probably want to ride the train because of the distance, but we saw no reason to leave the Palace. We left a few times just to see what the rest was all about, but decided that the Palace was so much nicer and there was no reason to leave. The Colonial did have the Mexican shopping mall, which had somewhat cheaper gifts so we bought stuff there.

I saw no reason to leave the Palace. We just wanted to relax and the Palace was perfect for that. It seemed like the Colonial had more activities and young people there drinking and partying.

My Only complaint: the Beds were horrible. They were so hard. They have a pillow top on them but it did not help. Our backs were so sore.

Barcy Club: The Barcy Club was amazing. My 9 year old son went with us and at first he didnt want to go to the kids club, but ended up loving it! There werent many kids there at all so they didnt get to do some activities, but he loved it Korina was the lady that watched him. She was so great with him and the other kids. SHe took them to play miniature golf in the rain forest, and played basketball and fun stuff like that. They also had different shows everynight. We only went to the circus one, but my son loved it! He had an amazing time on the trip, even though there were only a few kids there when we went.

Animals: There were iguanas everywhere. They were so pretty to look at. We got to take pictures with a monkey and Tucan - we loved it!

Overall, this was the best vacation we had ever been on. Everything was amazing! There was always someone walking around the pools to fill up your drink, and a fruit tray that went around that had the freshest, tastiest fruit ever!

I would definitely stay again, but next time I will stay more than 7 days!

tip: Make sure you bring lots of ones for Tips. I thought I brought enough, but didnt. It was so hard trying to get someone to give me ones. They only give pesos. I finally had to have someone with the travel agency bring me enough ones to last the rest of the trip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank lisam0711
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 September 2009

hen we booked the Barcelo Maya Palace, I was relying on the great reviews from other guests who posted on tripadvisor. Well, I was certainly not disappointed! Snokeling in the waters around the hotel provided many hours of exploration. The sea turtles were the highlight. The pools just seem to go on forever! The hotel was immaculate, the service was spectacular and the food was fantastic! We booked dinner at two of the restaurants during our stay and both were excellent! The French restaurant surf and turf melted in your mouth. We could have made reservations for dinner at the other restaurants at the resort, but found that the because of the relaxed atmosphere and the fact that we didn't have to stick to a schedule, the buffet suited our needs just fine. The selection at the buffet was very impressive, with your choice of fresh fish, chicken or steak cooked on the grill. Breakfast was always a treat. The lush grounds provided many an exursion between the hotels. We met many friendly people andcan't wait to go back! I would highly recommend to anyone!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank jerseygirl217
Tehachapi, Ca
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Barcelo Maya Palace resort exceeded our wildest expectations! The hotel and it's workers were awesome, friendly and helpful. The rooms were spectacular and extremely clean. The pools were the largest I have ever seen! The ocean was a hop, skip and a jump from the pool. The food was good. I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but the service was and there was always a variety to choose from. We made reservations for the French restaurant and it was outstanding! The workers worked because they appreciated us being there. It wasn't for tips. It was a pleasure to go someplace and not focus on food and further cost. It is totally possible to never pull your wallet out! We will return to this resort. It was perfect!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 September 2009

This was our third time in three years at the resort and first in the Palace. Once again we came in September and the resort was almost empty due, I think, to most children being back in school and then throw in swine flu and the ecomony.

The Palace is a little more upscale than the Tropical/Colonial or Caribe/Beach and the food and drinks were great! Fresh grilled to order steaks, shrimp and seafood - lobster tails, crab claws etc.... We really enjoyed resting in the palapas at the adult pool with the in pool loungers. Massage by the pool was another great plus. Room was upscale, air conditioning cool and staff friendly. I did request a bed topper after the first night as the mattresses are super hard - topper helps to soften it up and sleep was good after that.

We did the scuba diving on site with Dressel Divers. I arranged for the "discover scuba" course before we left home and got a 15% discount which saved us about $50. Scuba training was easy and didnt take too long. Our teacher was a young guy, Nick, from Seal Beach, CA near our house and we felt well taken care of by him. All of the scuba folks were great and made us feel safe in the water. It took all of 2 minutes to reach the reef for our first dive from the Barcelo dock. We were able to go down to 40 ft for about 40 minutes. Liked it so much we dove the next day also at a reef 8 minutes boat ride from the dock. The proximity for the dives made the process super simple.

We will most likely be back next year. Many of the people we met at the resort were, like us, return customers as they felt that this resort has everything you could want for a great tropical vacation. When you compare the price with the amenities its a no brainer. Many folks said it was better than any resorts they had stayed at in the caribbean. The only drawback is the size of the resort - be prepared to do allot of walking, especially if you want to sail the Hobie Cats or go to the best part of the beach which is on the other end of the resort from the Palace.

FYI - the Beach/Caribe portion of the resort is being remodeled and the pools are drained. Due to the low occupancy they moved most of the people who had reserved rooms at the Tropical/Colonial section to the Palace. We heard that on the Thursday before we left they were only expecting to feed 200 people for dinner. Made it a really stress free vacation as we almost felt that we had the resort to ourselves.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JacarandaSpirit
Illinois
Reviewed 18 September 2009

we were at the Barcelo May Beach with our 2 kids, (boy & girl, both 16), my sister & her husband, and another couple & their 2 kids (ages 16 & 12). We had a blast! We were all booked at the beach hotel, but they put everyone else, but us at the Caibe Hotel part, right next door. Which was fine, they pretty much all ran into each other anyway. The rooms were were huge and decent. The beds were hard, of course (aren't they all in these kind of places) but I asked for a mattress pad right away and got it within an hour, but I did kept on calling the front desk (prob. 5 times) to remind them. The bed was actually comfortable the mattress pad. Our kids shared a room together -right down the hall from us, so they were still close. The beach was perfect-not too crowded, plenty of chairs. The shows were typical all inclusive shows. We all loved the swim up bars and the other bars, the bartenders wer great! The kids sure did have a good time with all the different things going on with the staff... We pretty much let our kids do their own thing most of time, it was their vacation too. They met a lot of other kids. and yes they did get ahold of the over 18 bracelets, so they did do a lot of partying, especially at that late night bar/disco. They didn't leave the resort, and they kept together most of the time (at least we think they did). The guys all went fishing with the same guy we had went with the year before - Jesus a Akumal Dive Shop. The reason we with him, is because the year before my husband and son had caught 3 huge fish with him. well this time they caught 3 more huge fish! This time, they took one back to the hotel rest. and cooked it for us. It was excellent! We ended up sharing it with a bunch of people, we had so much. We booked one of the trips in the lobby, some adventure thing. We call it the trip to hell! It was a long day and very hot. and thats all I am going to say about that... We scuba dive, and we took all our equipment but never got around to diving, mostly because last year we dove here, and it wasn't nothing great (we have been to Cozumel way to many times-we are spoiled)! But I did book a trip before I left home, over the internet with Dove 6 - www.whalesharkexperience.com $195 a person. It was one of the things you do once in a lifetime. Unbelievable! I can't hardly describe it... It was a long trip but totally worth it. These whale sharks were huge... some were 40' long. I still can't believe we did it and we snorkeled with them. We have scuba dived a long time and seen some great things, but this was totally crazy. Anyway, back to the hotel, the grounds were beautifu, the food was good, I really don't have anything negative to say... The whole resort was pretty big, though -it seemed to go on forever... We lost a couple of people every once in awhile... but then again -maybe they just wanted time alone! We went shopping at Playa Del Carmen one day, I just love the shopping! My mom booked a trip this June '09 for this same hotel and when they got there, they said it was closed due to the economy so they upgraded them to the Colonial. Mom said it was perfect! really nice...

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,811 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!