“VERY NICE and great staff !!”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Delta, BC
“VERY NICE and great staff !!”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace last Fall 2009 and had a great time. The staff in the upper lounge were wonderful and kept our drinks flowing. The food in the buffet was very good and always had something for someone in our group. There was a shuttle train that picks you up at the front and takes you over to the shopping in the next complex. We would definitely return to this resort. The pool was great. The beach always had chairs for us and lots of fish in the sea.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I stayed here for my honey moon from September 26 till October 3rd.
The hotel was very nice and the staff were friendly.

My main concern was that one of the days we were gone on an excursion from 730 am till 6pm we left our bedding all at the end of the bed because it needed to be changed and left the sign on the door asking house keeping to tidy up the room.

When we came back at 6pm our room door was open and security was outside. They asked us if this was our room and we said yes is there a problem? and they said our door was open. We replied telling them that we closed it before we left. When we entered, house keeping had been there as our room was cleaned and the bed was made. Although the bedding was messed up as if someone was lying in our bed and in that spot was wet, who ever was in our room left a pair of sunglasses on our bed and a cloth.

We tried to enter in our password for our safe but it said error before we could punch in our pin. Someone had tried to enter it. The security had to come up and re set our password. The security did nothing for us to make us feel more comfortable, instead they accused us of leaving our door open which clearly we did not because the bedding was changed as it was not dirty any more.

We decided to cancel our other excursions because we did not feel comfortable leaving our hotel room all day again. It was a hassle to cancel the excursion for that reason because security told them it was our fault and that we left our room door open.

Another couple we met had someone go through there purse as well and had her wallet out and they stole some money from her. I am 22 years old and pretty laid back, but i would never recommend this hotel to anyone nor will i return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank baby_gurl235
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding for the first two weeks in August. We met up with my Canadian niece /family and friends . It was all arranged by my niece and we had no idea what t expect. We had no need to worry as we soon realised that it was a quality resort. There were various hotels in the same complex but staying in the premium one allowed us access to all of them. This meant that we could try all the facilities and restaurants on offer in our all inclusive stay. There was some difficulty in booking the restaurants as we had such a large party and sometimes had to be separated. Despite that the food was always good and the staff offered friendly service. The rooms themselves were of a high standard with the mini bar freshly stocked daily . Although we did not have a sea view the gardens were lovely and well kept. There was a good range of sporting facilities on offer and my brother in law went sailing every day. Although there was just one small child in our party the facilities for children were also very good with one of the best children's pools I have come across.There was also nightly entertainment in a large theatre and the Jaguar nightclub.The girls tried out the spa and said how wonderful that was too.There are shops within the hotels but also a shopping complex with doctors surgery.
I would just like to finish with a big thank you to our favourite barman - Edson. The bars stocked all top branded drinks and not just the local brew as most all inclusive packages.
There are a number of excursions available and we took a catamaran trip for our party alone and also visited the Mayan ruins.
The only down side was the internet facilities. It would have been good to have free iwi fi access but instead you had to pay for the pleasure and it was not good when you did.
Would happily return for another stay .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed_Pick
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I went to this resort at the end of August with on of my friend. We both travelled a lot (Europe, South East Asia, Cuba, St-martin, Turks and Caicos) and we chose Mexico for vacations because everybody was telling us it was much better than Cuba, considering that Cuba is cheaper than Mexico for us. So maybe we expected too much but overall, we were disappointed.
The resort itself is nice and very clean (reception, hallways, the grounds). The beach really was beautiful, cristal clear. Chairs all around for everyone and clean beach towels available almost at any time of the day.
The rooms were ok, not great. The first day we arrived, the room was extremely stuffy. And we found a tiny frog in our room. However, what was the most annoying was the small ants everywhere. We left our bags on the couch and realized after two days that ants were all over it and inside. The ants were also going into our luggage, in the bathroom and into our makeup. Even if they were very very small, it was annoying. Yes, we are in the nature and it's humid but still, I never had that problem anywhere else. Also, we were leaving tips for the cleaning lady but there wasnt much of a difference. There was always a few hairs, dust, left all around the room.

The food was VERY mediocre. That really was our biggest disappointment. At the buffet, there wasnt that a lot of choices. Pretty much always the same things, same taste. It wasnt very good. I was really carefull with what I ate but by the end of the trip, I started feeling funny for a few days because of the food. The buffet and the snack bar were not air conditionned, that was also annoying. When its so hot all day, its nice to eat in a cool place. We paid to go eat to the restaurants of the other hotels of the resorts but even then, the food was not amazing. Only the Japanese one was very good. Overall, the drinks were not great either, almost didnt have any. The house wine was the worst of the worst.
On the Barcelo site, there are 5 resorts, the Maya beach and the Caribe are the cheapest but the ones with the nicest beach. So even if the other hotels seemed a lot better, I would not recommend them because their beach wasnt nice.

Overall, I don't recommend this hotel. It is good only if you get a really really good deal. I will not go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Msg6
chicago
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Beautiful rooms, friendly service with a beautiful view from the beach! Food was good, service in ala carte restaurants very good, lacked a little in the buffets. Loved the peacefulness at the adult pool and the big gorgeous beach. If you like contemporary, you will like this resort.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Excellent service, staff all really helpful and friendly. The room was large with everything we could want including coffee perculator, iron + board, flat screen tv wall mounted, hairdryer, fully stocked fridge with alcohol, soft drinks, water and peanuts re plenished every day inclusive. The location was gr8 with added extras such as shops on site, although it wasnt explained to us that should you wish to purchase and charge to your room every ticket had a tipo added to it so be careful with that one as i found when paying the final bill before we left. Everything we could wish for was within walking distance as there are many amenities within the large complex.. The location was good as only a bus ride to Playa del Carmen, Cancun. The excursions are plentiful with a vast amount to choose from which dont need to be booked via your holiday rep as you can book with any rep in the hotel. Scuba diving with Dressel Diving Team on the beach was fantastic, free trial offered daily in the pool with gr8 instructors, see the safe haven for the turtle eggs on the beach and if you are lucky enough you couls see the hatchlings being released and scramble down the beach into the ocean. Reccomended excursions include Coco Bongo you seriously cannot go to Mexico and not visit a fantastic night but very late one. Spend a relaxing day on a Catamaran (Fat Cat) including snorkling, when boarding/disembarking walk around the dolphin pens and see them at play and interacting with people. Horse riding through the jungle and along the beach, Captain Hook another gr8 night out on board a pirate ship interacting with the pirates with a fab show and party atmosphere, Including a feast of either Lobster or Steak and then the Black Pearl comes along side out in open water where the pirates interact with each crew mock fighting and swing from ship to ship. The Maya Encounter is a must for people who like adventure starting with canoeing, trek through the jungle, Rappelling down a cliff into a cenote (underground cave) to swim before you enter you are blessed and permission given by a Mayan ritual man (medicine man). Next zip lines accross the jungle then a rest while you eat a traditional dinner with the Mayan people in a village deep within the jungle. Next a short ride to the Mayan ruins a cycle ride to discover Nohoch muul and ancient ruin that you can walk up 120 steps (big steps) taking you 120 feet to the top and you can see for miles a blanket of green jungle, coming down is a little scary as not much to hold on too, then a cycle ride back to the meeting point again.
The one thing that we werent too happy with was everywhere you go you are constantly reminded "dont forget my tip" from everyone which can leave you feeling pressurised at times. All in all a fantastic holiday all round and would reccommend to anyone. We will definatly be going again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I went to the Maya Beach in March with a friend. We were two girls both 26yrs old and we have both stayed at many 5 star resorts with our families. I was a bit worried about going due to some reviews but from the moment we got to the resort we had a blast. We are very outgoing and were able to meet so many people in the lobby bar. This was our stomping ground for the week. The resort was quite busy when we were there so it was easy to meet people. I still keep in contact with a few of our friends that we met. I would highly recommend this resort for single girls looking to have a good time. The only downfall is that the bars close at about 2:30am and there is not really anywhere else to continue the party so if this is what you are looking for maybe another resort would be better.

The following is the breakdown of the resort

Drinks
I thought the drinks were great. We always had something different but the wine is not very good at this hotel. Beer was ok. I thought the drinks were the best at Captain Morgan’s Grill. The slush machines were awesome at this location. We brought big mugs from home and they were very handy when sitting at the beach as the staff do not come around to take orders. We had no problem with this as we just got up and went for a walk and grabbed drinks on the way back. I drank bottled water the whole time. The mini bar was stocked daily with water, pop, juice etc.

I am not a picky eater and I found the food ok. We thought the buffet was ok but it did tend to get boring. This is an all-inclusive so we did not expect the food to be amazing. If you are a foodie then maybe pick a 5 star as the food would probably be better. We hung out with some people that stayed at the Palace and they said the food was pretty good. I really liked the tortilla chips and guacamole/salsa.
The al la cartes were also ok. I didn’t think the Mexican was all that good. I would suggest you stick with the fajitas as they were good. The steak house was ok…. Being from Alberta I have had better. Can’t remember what the third was but I had lamb and it was very good. All in all the food was fine and I always was able to find something good to eat at every meal.

Staff
We thought the front desk staff was very snooty and didn’t care for them at all. The staff in the buffet were amazing and worked soooo hard. We tipped at every meal although this was not expected. The staff was very quick to clear plates and cups. They were always refilling our drinks. We found the beach/pool buffet to be quite busy at lunch and the food was not as good as Captain Morgan’s Grill. I thought this buffet was the best at lunch. There were always staff members cleaning the grounds throughout the day.

Grounds
The grounds were amazing. Very clean and easy to walk through. I did not find the resort to be that big at all. Several times I had to run back to my room as I forgot a sweater at night and it was not that far.

Entertainment
We did not participate in the pool activities but did play beach volley-ball a few times. I think that this is the best way to meet people in the day. I met several young people in their 20s who we ended up meeting up with every night for the remainder of our stay. The theater at night was fun. We went to a few of the shows such as circus (really good), karaoke night (ok), and Miss Barcelo which was really fun as I went up on stage.
The Disco is only really fun when it is busy which was not that often. We found it really cheesy but when we had had a few drinks and were with all our new friends it was pretty fun. The music is really loud so if you don’t like loud music I suggest you stick to the lobby bar. I really wish there was a bar on the beach or a beach party as this would have been really fun however, the only bars open at night are the lobby bar, theater bar, and disco.

Beach
I LOVED the beach. I thought this beach was awesome and the water was really warm. There are rocks but nothing to be worried about. I did not have water shoes and was fine. I snorkeled daily off the beach and was always able to see something. We also rented sail boats and kayaks. These were so much fun and you don’t need a guide to sail.

Rooms
I thought the room was fine. We had no problem with A/C. Bathroom was also fine for us. We were located in the building that was straight off the path when walking from the lobby. Can’t remember the name but it was in a perfect location. We were right off the pool.

Sickness
I tend to get sick at every resort I go to but only was sick for one day here. I think it also had to do with the alcohol. I cannot say for sure if I was sick from the water or food but did have stomach cramps for most of the stay. This would not be a reason for me not to go back though.
I would suggest brushing your teeth with bottled water if you are worried at all.

Tours
My friends and I went out to the highway and got on the collective for $3 USD and went to Tulum. This is the best way to do it as it is so much cheaper. I think we paid $10 at the gate and spent a few hours there. If you are wanting a tour with guides to tell you about all the building then you would need to book with a group. The beach at Tulum is absolutely stunning. I think it is the best beach I have ever seen. I would highly recommend going to Tulum. We also went into Playa del Carmen which was fun if you like shopping and going to restaurants off the resort. We went in the day but I think it would have been fun at night. Just be careful if you are a girl. I wish I would have done some of the adventure tours but I guess Ill have to do them next time.

Recommendation
I wish we would have paid a bit less than we did but it was high season so I guess it was not too bad. If you can get a great deal I would highly recommend this resort. If you are a group of young people or just a twosome you will have a blast I guarantee. I don’t think this resort is for those of you who are used to 5 star resorts. If you love good food and higher class I would recommend the Tropical or Palace side of the resort. Most of the people we saw around this side were a bit older (40+). The younger people tend to stay at the Maya beach side. You will pay more but I guess it would be worth it.
I was worried about the trip but had a great time. Just go and enjoy!!!
Please let me know if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help you out.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends