“Absolutely wonderful”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Caribe for 2 weeks. May 1-14, 2012. It is about an hour and 20 mins ( depending on how many people you have to drop off on your way), from the airport, but don't let that detract you from going. It is well worth the trip. The hotel is part of a MASSIVE Barcelo complex, and The Caribe is one of those hotels involved. The front desk staff were welcoming, and kind. Since the complex is so huge, a map is given to you at check in, and very quickly reviewed. I'm sure the people working there have to go over those things 100's of times a day. Even with the map, we got lost the first day. But after that, we found our way around pretty good.
It was HOT, HOT, HOT when we went, and the humidity was very high. Sounds miserable doesn't it... ? Well, the first few days, I have to say, it WAS!! And even the rooms aren't as cool as I had thought they might be. BIG TIP..... To keep the air conditioning on all the time, you have to put a key card in a slot behind the door... any kind of card. even a library card. We used our Kroger Plus card. It keeps the air on. Other wise, it cuts off. It also cuts off, if you open the balcony door... I do understand that concept of not wasting cool air to the outside, but that, I have to say was a pain..
The room is nice, with big comfy beds, and soft pillows.. It has a fridge stocked daily with sodas, beer, water, and a few snacks. My husband liked the Orange Fanta. We left a note for the person stocking it every day, that we would like to have only Diet Coke ( Coke Lite in Mexico), and Fanta, and water... we left a small tip, and he did what we wanted him to, every day but one... That was pretty good.
The pool is large with a nice swim up bar. Drinks are pretty good. A little extra tip goes a long way too :) The self serve beer taps, I thought, was brilliant.. And very helpful. We took our own big cups. There are plenty of places to sit, and even covered places with hammocks and chairs to get you out of the sun. I LOVE the sun, and even I had to spend a few days in the shade.
The beach is absolutely huge. We never had a problem finding a place to sit, although, we did have some fave places and sometimes we got to them a little late... There is a life guard on duty for most of the day. Palm trees help for shade for the hot hot parts of the day. Take plenty of HIGH SPF sunscreen. I had a really nice base tan before I went, and I still got burned badly. The water?.... Nothing less than stunning. Crystal clear, with so many colors of blue, it seems unreal. Warm... and filled with beautiful fish who love to come swimming next to you. Mainly because people feed these fish, which I COMPLETELY disagree with, but it happen all the time. My husband and I love to snorkel, and the water does not disappoint. Beautiful, just a wonderful experience.
The food.... This is always a very controversial part of all inclusive traveling. I often wonder, what in the world are people expecting when they have really bad reviews of buffet dining. Good grief!! We thought the main buffet was just wonderful. There is a different theme every night for dinner. And many, many choices no matter what meal you are eating. Yes, breakfast had a lot of the same things every day. But my gosh people... What do you want them to fix? And it is now that I have to give props to my all time fave people at the buffet. HASSIM!!! and Roberto!!!. Oh my gosh, these 2 guys are THE BEST!!! Hassim will meet you with a huge smile, and a warm hello ( no matter what language you speak either), and within a day, he will know exactly what you like and will bring it, without you even having to ask. Hassim is wonderful. And he loves his job... Roberto, is one of the managers there and keeps the place running like a well oiled machine. And always sought us out to say hello and shake our hands. LOVE those guys!!!
We never ate lunch at the main buffet... we always ate at Captain Morgans grill every day. And it was delicious.. Lots of fresh sea food, fruit, veggies... and hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos.... deserts... Just a lot of really good food.
They have specialty restaurants... but honestly, we just ate at the buffet every night. For our 2 week stay, we could have used the specialty places, 6 times, I think.
So that's the basics of it all. Like most big all inclusives, they have gift shops, high end shopping... several other bars.... It was a really nice trip... We can't wait to go back...

Room Tip: If you want a really fun trip. Take the all day trip to Coba!! 2000 year old ruins.... Zip lines, h...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
19  Thank JeanPMcHatton
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2017

Dear JeanPMcHatton,,

Thank you very much for your comments. We invite you to discover the new hotel on our website.

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,743)

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Hotel lovely. Clean and staff very friendly. Food good especially the Italian and Japanese restaurants. In a natural jungle setting. Can get taxi or local bus to many places. ie Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Akumel. Taxi 3 dollars per person. Bus 15 pesos per person (75p). Pool and beach great. Take a walk on the pier and see the fish in the sea or go for a swim or snorkel. Good time had by all the family.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Sandra B

Dear Sandra B,

Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was an all inclusive trip and it sure was wonderful! The pools were so nice, the bars were great, the service amazing! From the airport to the resort it was easily an hours drive but it was a good drive to see local life. Taxis are expensive we ended up paying about $120 to get there but on the plus side the lady threw in round trip so it ended up being reasonable. When we got there we were greeted with drinks! The rooms are nice, but you have to keep your card in the slot at the entrance otherwise the electricity will only run for a little bit and shut off. It was very interesting as the rooms are "outside" and the hallways have no a/c so only your room has it. I enjoyed that we had complete access to the bar and didn't have to pay anything as it was an all inclusive. The buffets are nice, kind of gets old after a while. They have different themed nights which adds a bit of spice to the food. We went to the Mexican and Spanish restaurants that had to have reservations, they were delicious! We also took the atv tour into the resorts private cenote! Must DO! I enjoyed the cenotes so much! (Underground rivers) The resort also has there own activities like para sailing which we did and it was very affordable, $110 for two people. I had a Spa treatment and it was heavenly! I had Yvone and she was so good! I almost feel asleep. Make sure and look at the coupon book before buying anything, as they have great deals like $10 off internet per day, and $40 off spa treatments. They had a very good gym as well! Great resort!! Will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Raquel H

Dear Raquel H,

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We took vacation my wife with two teenagers to Barcelo Maya Caribe from August 1-11. Do not take around transportation! On taxi from airport to hotel I paid $145.00 and back only 750 pesos (around $65.00). Front desk Edna offer ground floor that we don't like it. Then, she offer bigger room with bigger bathroom and free Internet and other 4 ristorante from Barcelo Maya Tropical. We were agree and paid $400.00. BIG LIE!!!. All rooms exactly the some. She took big advantage. Next morning, we went to front desk and spoke to Manager and he agree to refund. I back home money not on my credit card yet. I did dispute. We had to packing again check out from that room sit in lobby for 3 hours and check in the other room.
Overall, nice hotel, good food.

Room Tip: All rooms the same.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Gene k

Dear Gene k,

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We just got back from the Barcelo Carib. At the airport, everything went smoothly. One should be aware it is a good hour from the airport to the resort. It would be wise to pay extra for private transportation than taking the bus that is provided by many vacation agencies. I would think it would take forever to get there by the time they stop at several resorts on the way to the Barcelo. The driver said depending on traffic, it sometimes will take longer.
Check in at the Caribe was a breeze. Be cautious if they offer you an upgrade. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting and if it is really worth it. I didn’t upgrade. Do NOT use their sales pitch of an ocean view room as a deciding factor. What they consider an ocean view room is being on the top floor and looking out over the palm trees. Hopefully, if you have a pair of binoculars you will be able to see the sea from your room. The resorts set way back from the sea. There are really no ocean view rooms. Plan on walking a LOT. From our room it took about 5 minutes to reach the beach. This was no big deal, however, the walk could be much longer depending on your room location.
Our vacation started off badly after getting to the resort. When we got to the room at 2:30 in the afternoon, the room was very warm and was told it will cool down shortly. We went to the beach while it cooled. About 7:30 I went back to the room and it was still very warm. I found one of the managers on duty. She came to the room with me to check it out and told me that sometimes it takes a while for the rooms to cool down. I commented: “But 5 hours????”
I stood on a chair in front of the AC duct and told her there is NO AIR coming out at all. She called one of the maintenance men. While waiting for him to come, I decided to get a drink from the refrigerator. Ugh! The refrigerator was not working!!! About 10:00 that night the maintenance man appeared with the manager. They could not figure out what was wrong. At 11:00 I had the maintenance man using a welder in my room re-welding wires! Finally, it was fixed, so they said. Again I got on the chair and the cool air was just trickling out! This was the last straw, I told them I just checked in and am there for 7 days and I wanted a new room with AC and a refrigerator that worked. About 11:30 that night, we packed everything up and we were moved to a new room.
Two days later, even in the new room, we got up in the morning, and the bathroom and in front of the door was flooded! Again, I had to call the management to get the AC fixed again.
The rooms are ok, nothing fancy, but we are not fussy. Maid service was superb! The room was always cleaned and we were given fresh bedding and clean towels every day. We left the maid a tip every day because she did a super job in cleaning the room. The refrigerator was to be stocked every day, but was missed for a day or two. The wifi worked great. They charged me $58.00 for the 7 days. The only problem was that only one person could be signed on the account at a time. If you have kids and they all have ipads etc. just remember, only one log in at a time.
The food was typical buffet food. I am a picky eater, but always found something to satisfy me. We usually ate at the snackbar or the buffet. The specialty restaurants filled up quickly. We spent some time at the pool bar or the lounge. Service at the bars was on the poor side, even if you tipped. Many times people stood there waiting while the bartenders were chatting or goofing around with each other. It was so unusual to have a pool bar close at 7:00 in the evening while the pool is opened until much later. Once the pool bar closes, then you have to walk a bit to get a drink. It is wise to take your own thermos mugs etc. because the drinks warm up quickly.
The shops within the resort were neat and clean and had a nice variety, but had some very rude clerks. We were standing at a counter with our purchase and the clerk was laughing and talking on her cell phone. I wanted to use my charge card, and she didn’t want to stop talking. Instead of hanging up the phone and waiting on us, she asked if I would pay cash instead of using my charge card. I told her no, and she continued talking on the phone and fumbled through running the charge card. Anything purchased within the Iobby shops could be billed to the room. We went to the Mexican Shopping Center several times. They weren’t really that expensive. They had a lot of nice sales, and you could even bargain with some for a better price. Several times during the week there would be a special entertainment at the Shopping Center.
By all means, take a walk out on the pier. You can snorkel for free there. The water is so clear, you can see the beautiful fishes swimming all around the snorkelers.
The resort itself is really beautiful. The grounds are very well kept and clean. The beach was beautiful. It looked almost like snow. It was very clean, but in some places very rocky. You will have no problem finding a lounge chair or hammock. There were thousands of them lining the beach front of the resorts and around the pools. The stone statues found through out the resorts are really interesting and well lit in the evening. The evening entertainment at the theater was just ok.
We found that most of the staff at this resort quite rude. After talking to other guests throughout the week, they felt the same way. Most of the staff were unfriendly and usually made us feel like we were a bother to them. They do a lot of talking to each other but do not talk to the guests. Management was walking around constantly and so it seems this level of service is acceptable at this resort. At the pool bar, there was a manager who stood there every afternoon staring at the bartenders watching every move they made. We wondered if possibly the staff was instructed not to interact with the guests. We are big tippers when we get good service. Needless to say, most times I would not tip because of their rudeness.
We had a couple very bad days of lots of rain and wind. This was brought on by the hurricane in the area. One thing I really liked was the awning walkways. It didn’t matter if it was raining or not, you could get to most places you were going by using the covered walkways. The good days were very hot and humid. This was no problem, after all, this is Mexico.
Checkout was a breeze also. The night before we left, we were given a notice from the lobby telling us the checkout times, along with a survey of our stay. They also recommended settling your room bill that night to save time in the morning. This is exactly what I did. On Saturday morning, all I had to turn in was the keys, the towel cards, and to have the bracelets cut off. We had transportation arranged for 11:00 that morning to take us to the airport. It was right on time!
I would recommend anyone interested in this resort to read all the trip reports, both pros and cons to see if this will suit your vacation needs. On a scale of 1-5, I would probably give this resort about a 3. This is a resort, I would not return to nor recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank dennocb

Dear dennocb,

Reviewed 13 August 2012

We visited many resorts along this coast and without any shadow of a doubt Barcelo's grounds were by far the best kept.The beaches were beautiful and never crowded as were the pools.
We had wonderful service and the rooms were spotless (never saw one bug in the room at any time).Would definately come back as we had a wonderful time. The only thing that maybe could be improved on is the food, but for an all inclusive you couldn't complain as they had a massive choice of food.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sayil building which is pretty much central to everywhere.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank DARREN M

Dear DARREN M,

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Me and my boyfriend booked our holiday through First choice a month before, we researched a little bit but still were not sure what we were going to expect. The flight to Mexico was our only downfall the seats were not very comfortable and the entertainment was dated(we flew with Thomson) The hotel was beautiful the room was very big and clean and was on the third floor with a view of the jungles, there was three hotels within - caribe, maya deluxe and another one we could eat in any of there restaurants for breakfast which were buffet based and it was simply delicious. Lunch was served by the pool everyday and dinner was themed every night and we had a choice to dine at 4 ala carte restaurents in our stay.
It was near to all the main excursions(xcaret etc) which the hotel offered great discounts - Their was nearby Cenotes we could visit for free and a shuttle that runs to the city center every 5 minutes - you have to visit fifth avenue we went everyday for lunch to try some real Mexican food and desserts were amazing, and loads of shops to visit.

Overall a great holiday, lovely white sand beaches and clear water! - deffo will be coming back!

Ani & Nilesh

Room Tip: Higher the better!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!