“Organized, Clean, Fun”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The rooms and facilities are clean, the staff is very helpful. My husband and I traveled here on our very first vacation together and are planning a trip back. I recommend this resort to the slightly more posh travellers out there. If you are looking for a cheap holiday keep looking, if you are looking for a great getaway bordering on luxury, but still affordable look here. PLUS there is a special pool area for kids. So if you have them they stay occupied. If you don't, you won't be bothered.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CarrieTr
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear CarrieTr,

Best regards!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,654)

Reviewed 14 March 2014

It's so hard to be back after our fantastic one-week experience at this beautiful resort in Riviera Maya. We highly recommend the Barcelo Maya complex and plan to go back to the Caribe hotel. Everything -- the people, service, food, bars, rooms, pools, beach, activities, landscape -- was great and they were able to provide me with gluten free meals. If you want more details, read on.

We were first struck by the beauty of the landscape, buildings, pools and of course sandy beach and turquoise water. And the people. We can't say enough about the staff: everyone we met was so helpful and friendly. They are hard working, professional and warm. If you speak Spanish or have some knowledge of the language, it'll be an asset as many employees have limited skills in English or French though some are multilingual.

There are so many activities offered and the resort is vast and stunning, we simply couldn't see and do everything. We sometimes missed out on activities, e.g. water volleyball and basketball, because we went to the wrong place at the time the event was to start. The schedule is not clear so it's a good idea to ask staff exactly where the events are taking place. A couple of times the instructors didn't show up (golf lesson, 10-minute scuba demo in pool) so that was disappointing and someone should have informed the would-be participants. But overall, the abundance and variety of things to do is amazing and the service is great.

You can also just relax and enjoy the fine, sandy beach in the shade of palm trees or on the sunny shores, play in the usually calm sea (no big waves here though a couple of days were really windy so there were mild waves that were fun) or enjoy one of the many pools. My mom loved her massage at the spa, and we were impressed by the fitness facility, and the beauty, comfort and cleanliness of the whole resort. About the entire beach, be careful when entering the sea because in some spots there are rocks and uneven ground beginning near the shoreline and it's treacherous. If you don't see anyone in the water in an area, that might be why. Everywhere else it's great so enjoy! The free catamaran lesson was a blast (go 30 minutes before it opens to sign up or all the spots will be booked) and we also enjoyed kayaking (no need to sign up for this).

We never went on any excursion because we didn't have the will to leave the grounds with only six full days in paradise, but next time I will try the snorkling outing which takes only about 3-4 hours and apparently was great.

I have Celiac and therefore can't eat gluten. The staff went out of its way to prepare fresh foods at every meal to accommodate my dietary restrictions and even wrote a letter in Spanish to explain my needs so that I could present it to staff at the various restaurants - this was extremely helpful. Alejandro, who is part of the management team, was particularly attentive and helpful, bringing me gluten free muffins on several occasions during breakfast and offering to prepare something for the flight back home (which I sadly had to decline since we had to leave the hotel at 5:30 a.m.). I did bring muffins with me though. Although I didn't have the variety the rest of my family enjoyed, what I ate as the main part of my meals (usually eggs, fish or chicken) was prepared just for me and it was very good. And of course there were lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from. I had brought gluten free crackers which came in very handy.

The buffet meals were varied and delicious, according to my husband, daughter and mother. The a la carte restaurants offered a pleasant change but we learned the hard way that it's best to book them as soon as you arrive because these restaurants only operate a few evenings per week and get booked up very quickly. We were not able to go to the seafood restaurant and ended up with dinner reservations at 8:30 and 9:00 for the others, which was much later than we would have liked. This interfered with one of the evening shows we had wanted to catch and we were simply often so tired or hungry that it was tempting to ditch the a la carte and go to the buffet; but we stuck it out and enjoyed our meals if not the timing.

We definitely want to go back to the Barcelo Maya Caribe and would not hesitate to highly recommend this resort to anyone. To those working at the Caribe including of course our amigo Alejandro, muchas gracias para todo y hasta luego!

-- Michele

Room Tip: If you're near the pool area, it will be noisier. We saw a whole wedding party jump in the pool...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Miche413

Dear Miche413,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.

Your recommendations have been analyzed for future renovations as well as in programs of Animation activities. Alejandro and the staff of the Caribe Hotel will be very happy to host you again!

We hope to see you soon at Barcelo Maya Caribe Hotel.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed at Barcelo Maya Caribe and Beach during our March Break. From check in to check out the facility was top notch. The staff was friendly and efficient, the grounds and facilities were immaculate and the setting was lovely. We ate at the 3 restaurants, all were good, but we liked the Mexican one the best. The buffets were great, and I think we both ate our weight in salsa and guacamole. The room was fine, but I don't think the air conditioning was working properly. We were only in there at night, so it didn't really matter. The nightly entertainment was of a high quality, and with three theaters to choose from, you could always find something you would like. Drinks were yummy and the beach was never crowded. The staff works really hard, and we brought lots of $1 bills to tip them, but it was never expected, and the service was the same regardless. This was more of a family resort, so not a lot of intoxicated college students to deal with.

Upselling seems to be the name of the game at Mexican resorts, but once you say no, it's not a problem. Book your tours on line or with a representative of the company you book with at the resort-not at the airport. The airport in Cancun is full of people trying to hustle you, and one very nice group of Americans we did a tour of Chichen Itza with who were staying in Cozumel got ripped off big time by a professionally dressed woman who somehow knew their names and what resort they were staying at and sold them $300 in tours that were completely bogus. When they got to their resort, they discovered that the tours they paid cash for did not exist.

Our experience at this resort was wonderful, and I would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jayemwright

Dear Jayemwright,

Barcelo Maya Caribe Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.

We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

We hope to see you soon in our establishment and try the new surprises that Barcelo Hotels are preparing for you!

Best regards

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Our family stayed at the Barceló from January 26-February 2, 2014. Our kids are now 21, 17 and 14 so not young children but there were many children and we were never bothered by them as they would be in the children's areas. Over all and our experience was really good. Although it was a huge resort, I found that it was never far , walk to the beach or the pools. The food was really good at any of the buffets and the A La Cart were phenomenal . My favorite was the Spanish, however the Italian was really good too! I wish we would of been able to try the Steak house but perhaps another time. At all the buffets that we tried there was always something for everyone. I personally LOVED the pasta stations. And in the morning the breakfasts were awesome but having fresh made banana shakes were so yummy. The resort was always very clean. The maids were not great about leaving towel creations. Our daughters had one but our sons room and our room never got one. So that was a bummer. Our rooms were always stocked with pop and water. There was always an abundance.

The beaches were beautiful and clean! I've seen some crappy beaches like at the Emerald Bay Grande and this is in no comparison. They were nice to swim at, nice to sit at and not once did we get bothered by Vendor's. There is always something to do for every age! There is table tennis, volleyball, basketball, swim up bars, dolphins, sailing, snorkeling, diving, watersports, playgrounds, dance lessons, water aerobics, etc. We loved all the hammocks everywhere. It was awesome to sit back enjoying your drinks while swinging in a hammock.

Something to note, when staying at this resort: You will have to either charge things to your room or you will have to have a credit card if you plan on using the gift shops, Dolphins, etc. They don't accept cash anywhere except that the Lobby Desks. There are ATM's on site, both Mexican and American.

I really don't have anything to complain about per se. If you're looking for a relaxing holiday super friendly staff with good food, clean rooms, clean beautiful beaches, then I recommend this place 100%.

Room Tip: Corner suites seemed have a bit more room with their own personal hammocks!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GolfQT

Dear GolfQT,

Barcelo Maya Caribe Hotel and the staff appreciates your preference and we are glad we met your expectations.

Thank you for your kindly comments and we keep looking forward to your return!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

A very satisfying experience!

The Caribe is one of 5 hotels on what is called The Barceló Beach Resort. Running from north to south along the coast you have The Palace (exclusive, 5 diamond rating etc.) The Tropical, Continental, Caribe, and Beach.
We were advised one could use the facilities of all, except The Palace, but this does not include dining or drinking, apart from The Beach. No matter we were very happy with what we had and found that indeed The Caribe bar had a fantastic vibe and we made some good friends whilst there. Apparently Barceló are to totally gut and rebuild the public areas of Caribe in May to bring it up to the standard of The Beach, which has had a recent going over, good. However they need to be careful, yes The Beach is certainly more attractive, but in comparison a tad sterile, and it would be a bit of a tragedy for The Caribe bar to lose its lovely, relaxing, laid back atmosphere!

The rooms are good, and large, with lots of wardrobe space, and have an iron, always handy.

The gardens are a masterpiece of landscaping and I would like to know who designed them. The added attraction here is the amalgamating of wild jungle like areas into the grounds, so one gets to see some of the many animals in residence, take your pick from Possums, Iguanas, Racoons, big Rat like things, and even the odd snake.

Entertainment was perhaps not as good as we have experienced in other places, but as we were turning it early most days (10pm was considered a very late night) this was not an issue.

The hotels all have retail outlets selling souvenirs etc., and in the heart of the complex is a mini shopping centre, with even more souvenirs. Let me advise you that you can get all what is sold here for at least 50% less if you go to either Porta Aventuras (the next town) or to Playa del Carmen. Having said that in Playa del Carmen, the further you are from 5th Avenue, the cheaper things are, Wal-Mart is especially good!

Clientele, always important as nothing is worse than having a good vacation marred by noisy disruptive behaviour from other guests, no problem while there and I doubt if there ever is. There were people from all over. Americans and Canadians in the main, with a lot of Scandinavians, French, German, Italians, Mexicans, Spanish, Russian, and only a handful of British.

Speaking of Americans, if you ever get to read this Maggie, from Minnesota (with the 90 yard front drive) who we agreed to keep in touch with but did not get your details, you can contact via this review, and Megan and Tracy, Cherie and Darren (from Alberta), Linda and Bobby (from Michigan) we will be wring soon, we really enjoyed your company and it is absolutely true to say the holiday would not have been as enjoyable without you being there!

So there you are we are two very happy bunnies and will certainly go back, maybe same time next year. If I have any complaints with the hotel it would be the front desk, who either do not understand what you need or do not listen, or a combination of both. For example it took two days to get the shower fixed, in the end I gave up and asked the barman, who rang his mate in maintenance, all done in half hour.

Thomson Airways, I can take them of leave them, I would rather the latter. The attitude at Birmingham UK checking was offhand, bordering on downright rude. Why cant holiday airlines offer the same basic courtesies as scheduled airlines?

Room Tip: I will recommend not the ground floor, as with all those "critters" in the vicinity, they...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Clive E

Dear Earby,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Caribe staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising restaurants that Barcelo Hotels & Resorts is preparing for you! Also is good to know a guest can make new friends during their stay and have a good time.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

The teritory is huge and very clean. The staff is extremely friendly and polite. Some things that need to be solved:
1. Internet....really? is this really an all inclusive hotel where you pay 14USD(!!!!!) per day for a supercrappy internet that doesn't work most of the time????
2. Dolpinarium: took a swim with the dolphins for 125usd, it was a large group activity, that was happening very far from the place where it would be possible for someone standing outside the pool to take any pictures, however if you want to get the pictures that are taken during the activity you have to pay 75-300usd for them, so I ended up with no pictures from this activity since I think that is too much for the couple of pictures...very upsetting.
3. The towels in the room are changed every day, even tho there is no need for changing them and the number of towels was different every day, some days we had a towel to put on the floor next to tub, some days we didn't...however the body lotion was only one little bottle during our stay (11days), that wasn't replaced after finished.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nora S

Dear Nora S,

We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.

Best regards

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We got back a couple of weeks ago from a week at the Barceló Maya Caribe resort and it was Paradise. Absolutely no complaints. We booked the Maya Beach Superior Room, but ended up at the Caribe. Our friends were in building 3 (Maya Beach) we were in building 4 (Caribe Beach) and the two rooms were identical. They had a view of the pools, we had a view of the gardens, and we just loved the privacy. Being in the Caribe side, one can still use all the amenities of the newer Maya Beach side, the pools, the lobby/lobby bar (gorgeous), buffet & a la cartes, so no worries there.

My favourites (when it came to the restaurants) were 1) Steak house (had the filet mignon and it was heaven), 2) Seafood (lobster - real lobster! and the salad bar was to die for), 3) Spanish (tapas were great, grouper was great, chicken was delicious, stay away from the suckling pig), and 4) Mexican (very nice, but we liked the other ones better). Try a Spanish Coffee after dinner - wow, it knocks your socks off!

You absolutely cannot go wrong booking this place - we loved it, and we've been travelling to different resorts for the last 10 years. Everything was great - the service, the beach, the rooms, the food, the drinks, plenty of sun loungers, ocean had a sandy bottom, it was wonderful (wish I was still there). We've only found two places that we'd go back to, one was the Catalonia Yucatan Beach and this one is the other one. We're already planning our trip back for next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sylvia K

Dear Sylvia K,

We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Caribe staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising restaurants that Barcelo Hotels is preparing for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#73 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!