“The place is full of thieves”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Just returned yesterday from a 4 day weekend with a large group (16 of us total). On our last night while we were in the hotel bar our rooms were ransacked. During a 3 hour period we had 2 iPods, 1 iPhone, a play station portable and a pair of Ray Ban's stolen from our rooms. Yes, I know, use the safe. When you leave your room at 9 and come back at midnight expecting the maid's or whomever not to be in your room I figured we were good. Lesson learned.

Come to find out the following morning that some of the people in our party were able to get into their rooms (they only gave each couple 1 room key) by merely asking anyone from the maid service to let them in.

When I went to the concierge in the morning to try and get help I got none. They said they didn't have any reports of anything being stolen and started playing the "my english is not very good" card. Funny how that works.

I've stayed at several all inclusives and this is the first time I've had this problem. Aside from the thieves that live off this place, the food was o.k. (had to pay extra to eat at one of the restaurants, somehow that's not included in the all-inclusive title) and the beach and pool were good.

I stayed at the next resort over 2 years ago (Aventura Spa Palace) and would definitely reccomend that over this place.

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank wahooson
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Dear wahooson,

Many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. We invite you to visit our website to know the new Barceló Maya Caribe.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,744)

Reviewed 9 March 2009

We have been going to Mexico for over 20 years. For many of those years we stayed in Cancun at the then Camino Real. When Cancun became too much like Disneyland we started to look for some other place to have fun and discovered Xpu Ha Palace which is part of the Palace chain. We spent many a happy winter vacation there until Wilma payed a visit to the area and wrecked it. We then did a couple of years on the west coast (would never go back there) of Mexico and a year in Belize (nice place but hard to get to). Our travel agent recommended Barcelo Maya Beach, Puerto Aventuras as a place we might like. It was the hotel to the north of Xpu Ha. The beach is really nice. White sand, nice easy waves, and great views. The hotel is beautiful, and our room was on bottom floor with a great view of trees and flowers. It was very quite. Only real complaint about the room is the beds were rock hard, and when I say rock hard, picture sleeping on a board, with just a blanket for a mattress. Other than that, the rooms were typical hotel room, nothing fancy. The mini fridge was well stocked with sodas, water and beer. They could have had more snacks in them. Apple vacations had this hotel listed as a 4+ and I would say that's about right. The food was great on the buffet, and every night they had a different theme for it. We ate at 3 of the restaurants at night. Those could use a really big improvement, I would stick with just the buffet if I were to go back to this hotel. The service in the buffet is much better than the service in the restaurants and the food is better also. The one thing I found nice about this hotel the had a self service bar area that you could mix your own drink or get tap beer from. They also had bartender's that would make your drinks if you didn't like the frozen selections they had on hand. Overall it was a nice place, but I don't think I would go there again. I will stick to the better rated hotels. Wish they would build Xpu Ha back to what it once was.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Hhunterr

Dear Hhunterr,

Reviewed 5 March 2009

My husband and I were planning a mexican destination wedding and choosing a resort was one of the most stressful things I have ever had to do. Having been to other destination weddings and staying in 3 stars, I knew exactly what i didnt want.
I relied heavily on trip advisor for any resort that my travel agent suggegested and based my decision off of the reviews and pictures.
I loved the resort, the food (I am an extremely pickky eater) was wonderful, service, rooms, the beach, everything was just wonderful.
When we first checked in we were greated with wonderful slushy beverage of some sort which was great. We were accidentally given the wrong room, seeing as there were 2 rooms booked under the same last name, us and my husbands parents. When we got to the room and realized it was the wrong one, the front desk was quite helpful in helping us switch our rooms. Everything about our room was great, very clean, beautiful view, kind of a far walk to the beach, but very close to the lobby, so we couldnt complain.
All of our food from the buffet to the A la cartes was delicous. everynight the main lobby had a different drink for the special which helped to brake up the same old.
The beach and pools were both very clean, there was never a problem getting a towel, however the weather didnt quite cooperate while we were there so we only ended up using our towels a couple times.
As for the wedding, i couldnt have asked for more, it was everything I wanted in my wedding day. My wedding coordinator Xhail (pronounced sha-hail) was awesome. I was in contact with her via email probably three months before we went and she answered every question and concern that i had. When we arrived everything was mostly done, we just had to sign a few papers and pick our flowers.
The one bad thing was a blood test that is mandatory in mexico, and not only that it cost us $200 bucks. It was not a wonderful experience and i wont get into the details,but let me tell you, it left my husband and i with matching, large and disgusting bruises...but that was the only downside!!
The wedding day went off without a hitch. My mom and attendents got their hair done at the salon and well fortunatley for me my hairdresser came down with me and was able to somewhat fix the "do" that they had.
The wedding site was beautilfully decorated, the band was a little off, a little to polka-ish, but i didnt even notice until after when i watched the video:)
Beware though that you must provide a thumb print with black ink during the ceremony and we were both wearing white, make sure someone has a wet nap cause they dont give you on.
The photographer was very nice, I came with my own list of all the pictures i wanted though so we just did what was on that, there ideas were okay but very corny and we didnt end up selecting any of them. And make sure you move kind of quickly cause they have to runoff to the next wedding soon after yours is done.
The reception was great too, our room was freezing but they adjusting the AC as soon as we complained so that was okay. The tables were decorated beautifully. The favors, which were buckets with candy etc. in them, that i had given Xhail to be put out were there but some off the items out of random buckets were missing, so just a heads up, use something less likely to be stolen.
The cake was delicous, one of if not the best wedding cakes i have ever had.
When we got back to our room our bed was nicely decorated and there was fruit, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, plus the next morning we got breakfast in bed, which was perfect.
The next day we got a couples massage and it was just what we needed, it was included in our wedding package.
There are a million other things that i could say about how wonderful this resort is, feel free to send me a message with any other questions.
If you are thinking of getting married at the Barcelo, you will love it.
Hope this review helped, as many of the ones I read prior to going did.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank hunnybunny21

Dear hunnybunny21,

Reviewed 5 March 2009

Feb 18-25th Barcelo Maya Beach & Caribe
We were upgraded to the Beach Caribe and to the Club rooms without asking for it. Great food and fun. Out of six of us nobody got sick from the food or drinks. You can get bottled water at all of the bars and lobby.
Lobby-Checkin:
Check in took 10 minutes and two of the three rooms were ready right away.

Rooms: We had a Supreme Club Room it was in the Sayil Building third floor # 5305, you could see the pool and a glimpse of the ocean. They had a hair dryer, magnified mirror. In the shower there was shampoo, Conditioner and body gel. They also provided tooth brushes and toothpaste, shoe polish kit, manicure kit, loofa sponge, hand lotion. There were bathrobes and slippers to use and also two extra beach towels for use.
Mini Fridge had 3 kinds of soda or pop and water, four beers, two orange juices and two chocolate wafers. There was a coffee pot and a digital safe in the rooms. We did not see any bugs or ants. They had nice quiet sliding glass doors with double locks. The room key is a card. We had complimentary hard candy everyday and an apple. We also received a bottle of Anise liqueur and a book on Mexico. The bath towels were very large, they had face cloths and hand towels also and the rooms were kept very clean. There is also one elevator located at one end of each building.

Pool: Was large with a fountain and a bridge going across with a swim up bar located right next to the lunch buffet. The pool was “Cold” but clean. There were plenty of chairs. They also had hammocks in the shade.

Beach- The beach is about 1.5 miles for walking in one direction. The sand is white but has shells and stones that you cannot see until you step on them. You might want to take flip flops, unless you are walking by the edge of the water. I would also recommend aqua socks. It is not smooth sand walking into the water in front of all four hotels. The best place for walking in is in front of the Maya. There are no Cabana’s or Palapa’s but plenty of shade with all of the palm trees.

Towels: There were plenty of towels, even after it rained and everyone ran to exchange their towels for a dry clean one. We always exchanged right away in the morning, in the evening there might not be fresh towels.

Specialty Restaurants: We ate at the Spanish, Steak and Seafood restaurant, the food was good at all of them. I would have preferred to eat at the buffet as they had specialty nights also and I had a greater selection

Buffet: Very good food at the buffet. It was always warm and tasty and cold and tasty. Mexican night was excellent as well as Seafood night lots of peel and eat shrimp as well as sautéed shrimp, squid, octopus, sushi etc. You are not allowed to take any food out of the buffet. If you want to take something to your room you have to order room service.

Bars: You can get your own beer at the pool bar Corona dark or regular. You can add liquor to your drinks. They kept bottles on the bar. Other drinks the bartender made. At the buffet you could get your own beer, wine & champagne.

Shopping: Plenty of shops on the grounds between the four hotels, they had a shopping mall with a band and dancing by the disco at the Tropical hotel

Tennis Courts: Very nice hard courts open at 7:00 am and are open till 8:00 p.m. did not have any problems reserving a court. They also have racquets and tennis balls.

Activities: Water Aerobics, Yoga, Volleyball, Ping Pong, Basketball, Horseshoes, Tennis, miniature golf. Water volleyball, ceramic painting etc. There is a nice fitness center with weights, Eliptical, Tread Mills, Steppers, Free weights. They also have a jaccuzzi ,Sauna and a spa. If you want activities the four hotels are not lacking, there is something going on all of the time.

Service: Overall service was good. We got to know our servers and they would take care of us at breakfast and lunch. Also a tip goes a long way. Supper was different because we ate at different restaurants & buffets every night.

We would reccommend this hotel to family and freinds. Great deal for the price

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank quist

Dear quist,

Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort during Feb. 19 to 26. I must say the resort is beautiul and very large. We did a lot of walking!!! The only complaints I have pertain to the buffet. The food was not good, and the servers were not very accomodating. When traveling to All-Inclusives, it is expecting that the servers offer to get your beverage, such as coffee in the morning, wine/beer or beverage for lunch and dinners. This did not happen. The service was not good at all.

As for the property itself..... the beach is spectacular. Lots of white, soft sand, and aqua blue water. Be sure to reserve a spot with your towels under the palm trees early in the morning. The sun gets very hot!!

For the price we paid, this resort was well worth it. I do suggest you try eating at the French Restaurant at the Palace property. Excellent food and GREAT service. Keep in mind, there is an additional cost of $20 pp for the upgrade.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2beachpeople

Dear 2beachpeople,

Reviewed 27 February 2009

Arrival: We originally were slotted for Barcelo Beach, but were placed in the Caribe, which we were happy about on 2/13/09. Out of all the resorts, I like the Caribe and the Beach, they are down to earth and relaxing, while visiting the other properties, visitors seemed to be dressing up more, I want to wear a swimsuit and flip flops while on a beach vacation, not Dockers and a Polo. We arrived around 11:30 p.m. due to a late, delayed flight out of Minneapolis, we made it out of the hectic, unorganized Cancun Airport and on to our awaiting bus. We sat on the bus for some time, which is the last thing we wanted to do since we are on the clock of our vacation time. About 30 minutes later, the bus took off and we departed with persons going to other resorts, this really sucks considering the Mexican highways do not allow many u-turns, so you pass your destination only to come back a few miles and then when departing that place, you go back towards Cancun to make another u-turn to head back to Barcelo and again pass the place you were just at. Try this three times and you get irritated. We finally arrived at Barcelo and checked in, there were no Bell boys to help with luggage, but we managed fine to the room. The room was descent, but when you sleep on a king bed and go to a full, you realize quickly how small a full is. The beds are pretty firm and along with the pillows, we took our 11 year old and after the first night decided that me and the misses would each take a double and order him a roll away. Ordering the roll away in the morning through the incompetent front desk, we finally received it that night at 12:30 am the following day. The mini refrigerator did not work and they immediately replaced it with another that did not work, the air conditioner also did not work.

Beaches: The Beaches are really nice, the Beach and Caribe are closest to the nice beaches, the resort grew, and as each one was built, the beach got worse, but the pools got better, example, the Barcelo Beach, has the least impressive pool, but the best beach, the Palace has crap for a beach, but awesome pools. So if you are deciding to stay at Barcelo, consider if you want to go hang out at the beach or pool and then base your decisions. There are Staff that comb the beach for trash, but they often do not make it to the waterline, plastic bottles and trash can be found and take away from the pristine beauty, this is an area that they need to improve upon. There are plenty of Europeans, so do not be surprised to see topless sunbathers, some I wanted to approach and ask what they are trying to improve upon, cause the sun ain’t going to do it!

Activities: The resort offers tennis courts, miniature golf, a small chipping range, ping pong, a game room with a PS 3 and an X-Box (1 each), ensure your kid brings their favorite game because they are limited. Personally, I have issues spending money to come to Mexico to play video games, but if you allow them to play a short while, it may give you the break you need and keep them happy. I also observed 20ish people sitting on their butts playing video games, WOW, get a life, these people in their for hours not letting the youngsters on the machines.

Beach Activities: Adjacent the Barcelo Beach is a watersport shack where all of the kayaks, water bikes, wind surfers and catamaran’s are located, they also have boogie boards that the lend, so do not buy one of the $20.00 ones in the gift shops. Adjacent to the place you get beach towels, there is the activities director, get up to date info from them, do not relay on the big board outside their office that is always wrong, also do not expect the people running the watersport shack to know anything, they do not even have a schedule of events considering almost everything happens there, go figure. Beach volleyball is very fun, sometimes you get a dink playing that thinks it is an Olympic event and will roll their eyes when a kid goofs up on a play, or try to assemble a super team, but just take a breath and know that you are the better person and you will still have tons of fun if you just let it go.

Dining: Immediately, I say Immediately, book your restaurant reservations, you get a ticket, and each ticket is good for the number of persons assigned to the room. We received 3 tickets and originally thought one ticket was for each of the occupants good for one meal, not the case. Needless to say, we got to the Resort, and the last thing we wanted to do is book these reservations, 3 days later we tried and the restaurants were booked, I ended up giving the tickets to newcomers to take advantage of. We went to the Colonial Buffet and they said we could not eat there, we were under the impression that we could eat at all of the 5 resorts, not the case, there is a premium option you can purchase that allows more freedom and dining options.
In the morning, we ate at the Buffet, there are numerous choices to include heart healthy items, egg white omelet, turkey based breakfast meats, cereals, fruits. If you do not care, you can eat enough pig to get big, bacon, ham, sausage, pancakes, anything imaginable. For lunch, the buffet is closed and you eat at the beach side grills, there you will find a large array of foods to include hamburgers, fish, salads, fruits and etc.. For dinner we ate in the buffet again and were surprised by the cuisine, they would have theme foods, but no matter how picky you think you are you will not go hungry. If you get hungry at night, you might want to take some baggies with you and sneak out a late meal, because after dinner, it is done. The bars adjacent to the front desk offers peanuts, popcorn, olives and a pizza type food, but you are at the mercy of the wait staff to stock. We ended up going to the Barcelo Beach late at night because the Caribe bar staff did not replenish the snacks. You find that although there is plenty to eat, rude people will over indulge on the free stuff, example our sone went up to get pizza, the 20 something kid takes the complete cheese pizza for himself depleting the hotplate of all food, you say maybe he was getting it for himself and another, no we watched it was him alone. No big deal in the real world, but just enough to rattle your cage when your kid is hungry and full of vinegar.

Transportation: The Barcelo property has a train looking cart and a bus that make frequent rounds to the entire property every 15 minutes or so. When going to Playa Del Carmen, people were paying a lot of money to make this short trip. Just walk to the front gate where the big BARCELO sign is and adjacent to the highway, little vans stop and will take you to 5th Avenue, the last stop, this cost 2 dollars per person versus up to $75 I seen people pay, plus it is exciting to mingle with the residents of Mexico, “don’t be scared”.

Trips: we did Tulum Extreme, they took us down the road to a place where we repelled, we then went on an awesome zipline, (4 towers) and then snorkeling in an underground cave (a little to short), afterwards we had just an awesome chicken dinner, the best chicken I had on the trip, if you do this one, ask for Ivan, he is very fun guide. This was a less expensive tour, some a very pricy. We heard of a double deck boat ride that is supposed to be very fun, the blue mist or something, ask the red shirt representative about this one.
Front Desk: If I have sounded negative, I am trying to be honest and am being critical because we based our trip from trip advisor and took a lot from it. But the front desk is the worst service, and to be fair, some are good. Since the A/C was not working and the fridge still did not work, I requested a room change from the front desk girl she said she would switch my room, but they wanted me to pack my bags and bring them to the lobby and a bell boy would take them to the new room while we were at Tulum Extreme, I told them no, when I pack my bags and bring them to the front lobby, I will be going to the airport, cause homey ain’t packing twice! Plus I wanted to see the room, what if it was further from the beach and/or that fridge and A/C does not work. I got back from Tulum Extreme and nothing was done, so I went back to the front desk. Andria I think, she was the only one that had glasses, she did everything to ensure I understood that service was at her fingertips and she was not going to touch me. She blamed the air conditioning not working on me, flat out lied and said since I was leaving the patio door open the switch on the door automatically turns it off. Well we had the door closed. She said the service men were reporting different. I went back to my room, there were to service men in the ceiling working on the system, there was a equipment failure, not a door issue. I called her and asked her “since the door supposedly was the issue, why are they repairing the system, she again says that they reported different and it is so”. What the heck! I went to the concierge inside the door next to the front desk where you make your dinner reservations, he did nothing, I then talked to one of the Worry Free Travel girls in that same room, they spoke with this she devil and came up with where is my confirmation number, I said she did not give me one, she typed stuff in the computer and I took it as a sign of intent to resolve this situation, she said it is to bad she can not do anything since I have no confirmation number. Well I did not let this go and I badgered her until she said she would give me a new room tomorrow. I said fine, give me a confirmation number for that transaction, she said I did not need one. I said you just told me to bad because the other girl did not give me a number and now I ask you for a number and you deny me! What the heck!! Needless to say this fiasco was on the verge of ruining my vacation so I bit the bullet and for the purpose of sanity left it alone and continued on with our original room. The A/C did get fixed the 3rd day, the fridge never did cool to well, but if you read other reviews, this is the norm.

Tips: This is a copy from another review that we followed and was well rewarded. Take your snorkel gear to the Palace, walk in and go to the sidewalk that is closest to the beach. Make a left and walk until the sidewalk can go no further but turns left, leave the sidewalk and walk in front of an outside dining facility, keep parallel to the beach, follow until the property ends and you see a green chainlink fence. Go around the fence and follow it for a short while, you will come to a path a little wider than a golf cart path, follow it. Keep walking and you will come to a freshwater pool on your right, pass this and follow until you come to a protected lagoon, this is an old resort with a beautiful lagoon, you will also be rewarded with an old Mayan ruin, when the ocean is rough, this lagoon gives you calm water and abundant fish to view with your swim gear.
The electric is 110v, but the plugs are recessed into the wall, I advise to bring an extension (gray 1" extension cord prong), or extension cord so your thick cell phone or charger cords can be used. This will also come in handy at the airport since their electric is near the floor with the prongs running up and down with a wall that will not allow easy access. Take pesos to the airport upon departure, if you use pesos in the vending machine you will save tons of money on goodies. At the vendor, a Snickers and Reeses were $6.00 U.S., in the machine with pesos, $2.00 or less U.S. Do not buy a calling card in the U.S. and expect it to work in Mexico, they might say it does, but it wont, wait until you get here and find one, they are available at the resort, but I am sure in the community you can find a better deal. Tip your Bartender and he will not make you wait, he has tons of people to chose from and if there is a possibility of making a buck, what would you do! These people do not make a very good salary, so I tip, I gave Ivan from Tulum Extreme $10.00 us, because I ran out of money, but some people did not or wanted change from a 20 Peso Bill!! 13 Pesos = 1 U.S. Dollar. $400-500 month is a common salary in this area.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank BellCopterJockey

Dear BellCopterJockey,

Reviewed 26 February 2009

This was a lovely resort - not plush but more than adequate for an all inclusive. The Staff are very courteous and eager to please. They work very hard at making your holiday a memorable one so tipping is appreciated! The rooms were a good size - kept very clean with fresh linens and towels every day including turn down service every night!!! That was such a nice touch (yes, I'm female). The bar fridge was replenished every day as well.
The food at the buffet was good (for an all inclusive) and plenty of it. You will never go hungry! The beach grills are quite satisfactory too. There are 3 a la carte restaurants but we only tried the steak house - which was fine but we did prefer the buffet.
The Mayan is known for their beaches and this was a lovely walking beach but you had to wear water shoes/socks because of the small sea shells and volcanic rock along the shoreline. We spoke with two ladies who both broke a toe stubbing their toes on rock - so if you enjoy frolicking in the water or just taking nice long walks on the beach - save your toes and bring water shoes. While on the subject of swimming - we found the water in the swimming pool to be quite cool- very refreshing on those hot days but a bit disappointing to us.
The Barcelo Maya Caribe (where we stayed) is one in a chain of 5 of the Barcelo resorts in the complex. We had access to all 5 resorts but could only eat/drink at the Maya Caribe or the Maya Beach.
It's not far to Playa Del Carman and if you have time to spare - it's a great place to shop (bargains) and enjoy the flavors of the culture. You can take a taxi from the hotel ($18) or stand at the side of the road and flag down a "white van" and pay $2 one way into the shopping section and then $2 on return.
One other thing to keep in mind - beach towels will cost you $20 US if you lose them or in our case, somebody steals them on you. We placed our towels on our chairs and then went to the lobby to meet with our travel adviser (first day there) and when we returned they were gone - so guard your towels well!!!
Nothing happens quickly in Mexico - keep that in mind when you're waiting for a drink at the lounge etc. Enjoy your time there .. it flies by far too quickly!! I'm already thinking about my trip next year and yes, I'd consider another stay at the Barcelo.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends

#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!