“Relaxing Vacation”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We recently returned from 6 days at the Barcelo. The resort is quite large, with 5 different resorts all in one. Our reservations were originally for the Beach resort, but upon arrival, we were put in the Caribe area, which was just closer to the middle, instead of on the end. We had a very nice time, it was very relaxing, the beach is very nice. The food is decent, the service in the food areas was good, the service from the bartenders at the bars was not! Thank goodness for the fill your own taps of Corona, definitely bring your own insulated mug! The cab ride to Playa del Carmen was $18 each way at the time of our trip. The pools are cold but large and we always were able to find chairs. Overall a nice place, nothing fabulous, just a nice place to relax and wait for winter in Minnesota to go away!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Minnesotagirl62
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Dear Minnesotagirl62,

Many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. We invite you to visit our website to know the new Barceló Maya Caribe.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Caribe

Reviewed 10 March 2009

Overall there were no major problems with the resort and we enjoyed our vacation. As for the positives, the grounds were beautiful and meticulously maintained. The staff there was also extremely hardworking. The waitstaff, bartenders, performers and groundkeepers especially. We were always greeted with a smile. The resort is short staffed on bartenders though; the poor guys seem to work non-stop 12 hours a day.

The rest of my rview will sound very negative--part of it is issues with the resort, the rest is my issue with the "all inclusive" concept.

The beach is nice. Calm water, the fish will swim around you. Toplessness as well, just FYI. The pool was freezing. That was a bummer. I had looked forward to sitting in the pool at the bar enjoyong a drink, but too cold, and no bartender (they were only on the non-pool side)

The resort was very crowded. There was tons of smoking, you WILL smell cigarette smoke everywhere regularly except in the non-smoking section of the buffet. But the pool, the beach, the outdoor palapa restaurants--forget it. It was everywhere.

Overall the quality of the buffet food is fine, it's just....buffet food. Not ever as good as something freshly prepared. Nothing was really ever "delicious," just edible. The drinks from the bar were not so tasty either; I regularly saw bartenders watering down the juices to make the drinks, and most of the drinks had little alcohol.

Food at the restaurants was fine; slightly better than buffet. Bed was hard as a rock, but otherwise room was clean and cool.

All in all, I don't have anything terribly negative to say; but the buffets and crowds just really detract from a sense of relaxation when you constantly have tons of people around you. I won't return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYnewleywed

Dear NYnewleywed,

Reviewed 10 March 2009

Just returned yesterday from a 4 day weekend with a large group (16 of us total). On our last night while we were in the hotel bar our rooms were ransacked. During a 3 hour period we had 2 iPods, 1 iPhone, a play station portable and a pair of Ray Ban's stolen from our rooms. Yes, I know, use the safe. When you leave your room at 9 and come back at midnight expecting the maid's or whomever not to be in your room I figured we were good. Lesson learned.

Come to find out the following morning that some of the people in our party were able to get into their rooms (they only gave each couple 1 room key) by merely asking anyone from the maid service to let them in.

When I went to the concierge in the morning to try and get help I got none. They said they didn't have any reports of anything being stolen and started playing the "my english is not very good" card. Funny how that works.

I've stayed at several all inclusives and this is the first time I've had this problem. Aside from the thieves that live off this place, the food was o.k. (had to pay extra to eat at one of the restaurants, somehow that's not included in the all-inclusive title) and the beach and pool were good.

I stayed at the next resort over 2 years ago (Aventura Spa Palace) and would definitely reccomend that over this place.

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank wahooson

Dear wahooson,

Reviewed 9 March 2009

We have been going to Mexico for over 20 years. For many of those years we stayed in Cancun at the then Camino Real. When Cancun became too much like Disneyland we started to look for some other place to have fun and discovered Xpu Ha Palace which is part of the Palace chain. We spent many a happy winter vacation there until Wilma payed a visit to the area and wrecked it. We then did a couple of years on the west coast (would never go back there) of Mexico and a year in Belize (nice place but hard to get to). Our travel agent recommended Barcelo Maya Beach, Puerto Aventuras as a place we might like. It was the hotel to the north of Xpu Ha. The beach is really nice. White sand, nice easy waves, and great views. The hotel is beautiful, and our room was on bottom floor with a great view of trees and flowers. It was very quite. Only real complaint about the room is the beds were rock hard, and when I say rock hard, picture sleeping on a board, with just a blanket for a mattress. Other than that, the rooms were typical hotel room, nothing fancy. The mini fridge was well stocked with sodas, water and beer. They could have had more snacks in them. Apple vacations had this hotel listed as a 4+ and I would say that's about right. The food was great on the buffet, and every night they had a different theme for it. We ate at 3 of the restaurants at night. Those could use a really big improvement, I would stick with just the buffet if I were to go back to this hotel. The service in the buffet is much better than the service in the restaurants and the food is better also. The one thing I found nice about this hotel the had a self service bar area that you could mix your own drink or get tap beer from. They also had bartender's that would make your drinks if you didn't like the frozen selections they had on hand. Overall it was a nice place, but I don't think I would go there again. I will stick to the better rated hotels. Wish they would build Xpu Ha back to what it once was.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Hhunterr

Dear Hhunterr,

Reviewed 5 March 2009

My husband and I were planning a mexican destination wedding and choosing a resort was one of the most stressful things I have ever had to do. Having been to other destination weddings and staying in 3 stars, I knew exactly what i didnt want.
I relied heavily on trip advisor for any resort that my travel agent suggegested and based my decision off of the reviews and pictures.
I loved the resort, the food (I am an extremely pickky eater) was wonderful, service, rooms, the beach, everything was just wonderful.
When we first checked in we were greated with wonderful slushy beverage of some sort which was great. We were accidentally given the wrong room, seeing as there were 2 rooms booked under the same last name, us and my husbands parents. When we got to the room and realized it was the wrong one, the front desk was quite helpful in helping us switch our rooms. Everything about our room was great, very clean, beautiful view, kind of a far walk to the beach, but very close to the lobby, so we couldnt complain.
All of our food from the buffet to the A la cartes was delicous. everynight the main lobby had a different drink for the special which helped to brake up the same old.
The beach and pools were both very clean, there was never a problem getting a towel, however the weather didnt quite cooperate while we were there so we only ended up using our towels a couple times.
As for the wedding, i couldnt have asked for more, it was everything I wanted in my wedding day. My wedding coordinator Xhail (pronounced sha-hail) was awesome. I was in contact with her via email probably three months before we went and she answered every question and concern that i had. When we arrived everything was mostly done, we just had to sign a few papers and pick our flowers.
The one bad thing was a blood test that is mandatory in mexico, and not only that it cost us $200 bucks. It was not a wonderful experience and i wont get into the details,but let me tell you, it left my husband and i with matching, large and disgusting bruises...but that was the only downside!!
The wedding day went off without a hitch. My mom and attendents got their hair done at the salon and well fortunatley for me my hairdresser came down with me and was able to somewhat fix the "do" that they had.
The wedding site was beautilfully decorated, the band was a little off, a little to polka-ish, but i didnt even notice until after when i watched the video:)
Beware though that you must provide a thumb print with black ink during the ceremony and we were both wearing white, make sure someone has a wet nap cause they dont give you on.
The photographer was very nice, I came with my own list of all the pictures i wanted though so we just did what was on that, there ideas were okay but very corny and we didnt end up selecting any of them. And make sure you move kind of quickly cause they have to runoff to the next wedding soon after yours is done.
The reception was great too, our room was freezing but they adjusting the AC as soon as we complained so that was okay. The tables were decorated beautifully. The favors, which were buckets with candy etc. in them, that i had given Xhail to be put out were there but some off the items out of random buckets were missing, so just a heads up, use something less likely to be stolen.
The cake was delicous, one of if not the best wedding cakes i have ever had.
When we got back to our room our bed was nicely decorated and there was fruit, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, plus the next morning we got breakfast in bed, which was perfect.
The next day we got a couples massage and it was just what we needed, it was included in our wedding package.
There are a million other things that i could say about how wonderful this resort is, feel free to send me a message with any other questions.
If you are thinking of getting married at the Barcelo, you will love it.
Hope this review helped, as many of the ones I read prior to going did.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank hunnybunny21

Dear hunnybunny21,

Reviewed 5 March 2009

Feb 18-25th Barcelo Maya Beach & Caribe
We were upgraded to the Beach Caribe and to the Club rooms without asking for it. Great food and fun. Out of six of us nobody got sick from the food or drinks. You can get bottled water at all of the bars and lobby.
Lobby-Checkin:
Check in took 10 minutes and two of the three rooms were ready right away.

Rooms: We had a Supreme Club Room it was in the Sayil Building third floor # 5305, you could see the pool and a glimpse of the ocean. They had a hair dryer, magnified mirror. In the shower there was shampoo, Conditioner and body gel. They also provided tooth brushes and toothpaste, shoe polish kit, manicure kit, loofa sponge, hand lotion. There were bathrobes and slippers to use and also two extra beach towels for use.
Mini Fridge had 3 kinds of soda or pop and water, four beers, two orange juices and two chocolate wafers. There was a coffee pot and a digital safe in the rooms. We did not see any bugs or ants. They had nice quiet sliding glass doors with double locks. The room key is a card. We had complimentary hard candy everyday and an apple. We also received a bottle of Anise liqueur and a book on Mexico. The bath towels were very large, they had face cloths and hand towels also and the rooms were kept very clean. There is also one elevator located at one end of each building.

Pool: Was large with a fountain and a bridge going across with a swim up bar located right next to the lunch buffet. The pool was “Cold” but clean. There were plenty of chairs. They also had hammocks in the shade.

Beach- The beach is about 1.5 miles for walking in one direction. The sand is white but has shells and stones that you cannot see until you step on them. You might want to take flip flops, unless you are walking by the edge of the water. I would also recommend aqua socks. It is not smooth sand walking into the water in front of all four hotels. The best place for walking in is in front of the Maya. There are no Cabana’s or Palapa’s but plenty of shade with all of the palm trees.

Towels: There were plenty of towels, even after it rained and everyone ran to exchange their towels for a dry clean one. We always exchanged right away in the morning, in the evening there might not be fresh towels.

Specialty Restaurants: We ate at the Spanish, Steak and Seafood restaurant, the food was good at all of them. I would have preferred to eat at the buffet as they had specialty nights also and I had a greater selection

Buffet: Very good food at the buffet. It was always warm and tasty and cold and tasty. Mexican night was excellent as well as Seafood night lots of peel and eat shrimp as well as sautéed shrimp, squid, octopus, sushi etc. You are not allowed to take any food out of the buffet. If you want to take something to your room you have to order room service.

Bars: You can get your own beer at the pool bar Corona dark or regular. You can add liquor to your drinks. They kept bottles on the bar. Other drinks the bartender made. At the buffet you could get your own beer, wine & champagne.

Shopping: Plenty of shops on the grounds between the four hotels, they had a shopping mall with a band and dancing by the disco at the Tropical hotel

Tennis Courts: Very nice hard courts open at 7:00 am and are open till 8:00 p.m. did not have any problems reserving a court. They also have racquets and tennis balls.

Activities: Water Aerobics, Yoga, Volleyball, Ping Pong, Basketball, Horseshoes, Tennis, miniature golf. Water volleyball, ceramic painting etc. There is a nice fitness center with weights, Eliptical, Tread Mills, Steppers, Free weights. They also have a jaccuzzi ,Sauna and a spa. If you want activities the four hotels are not lacking, there is something going on all of the time.

Service: Overall service was good. We got to know our servers and they would take care of us at breakfast and lunch. Also a tip goes a long way. Supper was different because we ate at different restaurants & buffets every night.

We would reccommend this hotel to family and freinds. Great deal for the price

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank quist

Dear quist,

Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort during Feb. 19 to 26. I must say the resort is beautiul and very large. We did a lot of walking!!! The only complaints I have pertain to the buffet. The food was not good, and the servers were not very accomodating. When traveling to All-Inclusives, it is expecting that the servers offer to get your beverage, such as coffee in the morning, wine/beer or beverage for lunch and dinners. This did not happen. The service was not good at all.

As for the property itself..... the beach is spectacular. Lots of white, soft sand, and aqua blue water. Be sure to reserve a spot with your towels under the palm trees early in the morning. The sun gets very hot!!

For the price we paid, this resort was well worth it. I do suggest you try eating at the French Restaurant at the Palace property. Excellent food and GREAT service. Keep in mind, there is an additional cost of $20 pp for the upgrade.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!