“Don't Beleive Everything You Read Here”

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Just returned from a week at Barcelo Maya and stayed at the Beach resort. I hope this eases a lot of minds out there...this place is fabulous! Georgeous Grounds . Unbeleivable beach, pools etc. Buffets have great food and great variety.The kids liked it so much we actually cancelled our reservations for a la carte. They have different theme nights so it is not the same everynight. The staff are very friendly. They really try to make you feel special there . The a/c in the room is fine . Rooms are very nice , clean and comfortable beds.Theater shows at night are great too. I read so many bad reveiws on this site I was so worried about going there. Let me put your mind at ease . The place is great. Enjoy !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank JeffG66
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Dear JeffG66

Many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. We invite you to visit our website to know the new Barceló Maya Caribe.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,548)

Reviewed 7 July 2010

To say we were unimpressed with the service, the staff, and the food at Barcelo Maya Caribe would be an understatement. There was nothing at this resort that makes me want to go back and plenty that will keep me away.

We checked in on Friday and went right over to book our one night at an a la carte restaurant only to find out that there was no availability at any of the restaurants for the entire time we were there. Even after speaking to a manager there was nothing that could be done. This was the case for most of the people that we talked to throughout our stay – how do you have absolutely no availability at any a la carte restaurant on any night for a guest who just arrived from the airport??

The next day we decided to try our luck again with the reservations. As we were waiting to speak to the girl about booking a reservation, the group in front of us was told the same thing- no availability. But as they were sitting there trying to decide what to do, TWO cancellations came through and they booked them for their large group. When it was our turn to speak to the representative there was (again) no availability, and we couldn’t have gotten the cancellations because our names were not on the ‘waiting list.’ We let them know that we weren’t even given the option of getting our names on the waiting list the night before. So she wrote our room number down and promised to call if another cancellation came through. And as expected, we didn’t hear a word the rest of the trip.

All of this wouldn’t have been so bad had the buffet restaurants had decent food. I am really (honestly) not one to complain. I know that you can’t expect top notch food from a buffet. But half of what they served didn’t even look appetizing. And what did look good was all way overcooked. We didn’t have a decent meal our whole trip. Not to mention they tried to charge us $5 to get into the buffet near the other lobby because we had the wrong color wristband on. We definitely felt discriminated against the whole trip because they could tell that we didn’t pay to stay in the nicest section of the hotel by the color on our wristband.

Having said all that (I hate to be completely negative) the resort was beautiful and the grounds were well kept. However, this isn’t a hotel that I would recommend to anyone by any means. With so many options along the beautiful Mayan Riviera I will never go to this hotel again.

2  Thank jcooney02
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Dear jcooney02,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We value your preference, and would like to address your concerns as quickly as posible and we look forward to receiving you again in the future. Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2010

My friends and I have been planning out 30th birthday trip for over 5 years now so you can imagine how excited we were about this trip to relax and catch up. Unfortunately, we arrived at Barcelo the same time as Tropical Storm Alex...which meant rain and wind and lots of it for our entire stay. Since we weren't able to lay in the sun and do nothing like we had planned, we turned to what we believed to be the 'great ' amenities of this hotel. So unfortunate...

First of all, as soon as we checked in, we went straight to the 'concierge' to book our reservations at one of the 'nice restaurants' on site. We were informed there were no remaining reservations available for the entire length of our trip. We asked is they could do something, maybe work us in or put us on a list for a cancellation, they offered no help at all and just kept saying 'sorry'. They even told us that the meal we'd paid for was not included in our fees but was an 'added value' to our stay so they didn't feel obligated to make up for the reservation we weren't able to make. BS.

To make matters worse, the food was bad. Period. Half of it looked like it was from the day before and it just was not enjoyable in any way. I've traveled to Riviera Maya several times over the years and always had a pleasant experience with great meals at all the places we stayed. Not at Barcelo... Each time we arrived at the place to eat, they had no clean tables and we had to seek someone out to get help. Pizza on the buffets had piles of grease sitting in a pool on top of it...fish or meat of any kind was WAY over cooked...chips were stale...the ice cream and/or desserts were almost always gone and no one was replacing them...the list goes on and on.

Second on my long list of complaints - because of the weather the walkways EVERYWHERE were extremely slippery. The entire resort is beautifully maintained BUT all walkways are made of ceramic tile which means slipping and sliding no matter what shoes you're wearing. My friends and I all fell at some point on our trip - I have bruises all over my legs from falls due to the slip-sliding around trying to get from point a to point b. This is definitely something to keep in consideration - all stairs, all walkways, all lobbies, all floors are made of this tile...it's really hard to walk around. I was super careful as I walked around and I still fell - I can't imagine having a child there running and playing...they could easily fall and really hurt themselves.

The third and probably most important of my 'gripes' was the lack of help from the staff. The bottom line is that in any resort, no matter how great or not-so-great the amenities, weather, etc. are - what 'makes' the vacation is the service you receive. While we did have a great response from a couple of employees when we were locked out of our hotel room late in the evening, other than that very helpful hospitality, everything else was par or below par. No one seemed to want to help us and because we didn't purchase the 'premium' package and have a different color of wrist bands, it almost seemed like at times that we were being discriminated against. It was awful.

All that being said - if you've already committed to this resort, here are my suggestions...
(1) Take advantage of the GORGEOUS beach - we didn't have the opportunity due to the rain but it truly is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever stayed on.
(2) Get a massage - they did a GREAT job at the spa and it was reasonably priced. That was definitely a highlight of the trip.
(3) DO NOT drink too much tequila while out at the discoteque, especially if you pay the $5 for the VIP lounge. Those stairs will really get you!
(4) Do take advantage of some of the shows they have on their 'theatre stages'. We saw 'Michael Jackson Live' and it really was a good, fun show...very entertaining.
(5) I think tips for the staff go a long way here so if you're wanting to set yourself up for a good stay, be willing to throw some extra cash out here and there to help you make your stay the most enjoyable it can be.

1  Thank JennMagnone

Dear JennMagnone,

Reviewed 2 July 2010

I recently arrived back home and I am missing the Riviera Maya already, It rained the entire time from the tropical storm, but we still made the best of it. I recommend going to Playa Del Carmen for shopping. Of course they have a Senior Frogs there and several other stores where you can taste test the tequila! Don't take a shuttle from the resort. Simply walk to the road and flag down a Collectivo. (Taxi.) Ask the staff where to walk to find one because you can get lost! The trip there is about $3 per person. However, on the way back DO NOT get a taxi right by the shops. They will charge $20 per person. Just ask where 5th treet is and it is MUCH cheaper. (Trust me, seems like a lot of work, but you'll save a LOT of money.) I will even add that this was the best trip I've taken even after having a wind gust full of sand flying into my eye, which required med assistance after I got home. I can't complain. The staff a the hotel lobby bar are VERY nice. Although we didn't do anything (zip lines, Horseback riding, etc due to the storms, we had a winderful time. The fact that there was no AC in the grill buffets and lobbybars didn't keep us from having a good time!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Natiek21,

Reviewed 20 June 2010

My husband is very fair skinned and we have stayed in Cancun/Puerto Aventuras before where shade was hard to come by. At the Barcelo, the beaches have lots of palm trees and even the pools offer a lot of shaded areas. Beautiful beaches.
We were very disappointed in the poor service at the bars and when eating at snack grills and buffets, the service was rarely good. Inconsistent. A lot of staff can not understand English (or they were good actors)I would order the same drink at each bar, pool bar, rest- and it would be made differently by each bar or even bartender. Weird. The food itself was pretty good though. The steakhouse was the best reservation restaurant on site. I was surprised that they offered free bottled water and we had a mini fridge that would get stocked every other day with water, pop, and Modelo. Definitely a perk.
No where was air conditioned except our room, guest services, and the spa. So most places-restaurants, buffet, sports bar, lobby... all VERY hot.
One highlight was the spa, as the service there was EXCELLENT. I enjoyed two massages on our stay. Mu husband also had a massage and we both agreed some of the best masssages we have ever had. We were pleasantly surprised.
The beaches were definitely nicer than what we have been able to access from other resorts we've stayed at. The dive shop had nice staff and affordable water activities were offered. We snorkeled and booked a couple of tours through them which went well. We went deep sea fishing one day on a private boat (Hi Bob II) for $430 for half the day. It was a fun day and we caught lots of fish. The captain and guide on the boat were great with the kids.
We think we may spend a little extra to check out the Palace next time. The beaches and location make this resort worth it overall in our opinion.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank holtm10

Dear holtm10,

Reviewed 19 June 2010

First off the resort is HUGE! It is spread out all along the beach and made up of 5 sections. I'll try to keep this as organized as possible:
CHECK IN/OUT: We had no problems here, they weren't overly friendly but it went quickly both times. We did have to wait for our room until 3:30pm when we had arrived at 12:30pm but we just ate and sat at the bar.
BEACH: It is gorgeous by the Maya Beach and Caribe very sandy and clear. As you move up the beach towards the Palace it gets much rockier in the water. There are plenty of chairs on the beach and by the pool to relax in, we traveled w/ a group of 12 friends and never had a problem finding enough chairs for all of us. We did not get any service on the beach as it is mentioned in some other posts, there were people walking around collecting glasses but not once did they ever ask us if we needed anything. Also the beach could've been cleaned up a little more, there were pop caps, wrappers and even a condom laying around! This obviously is partially the fault of the people visiting but still it seems they would have someone cleaning it up.
POOL: We spent time in the pool at Maya Beach, Caribe and Colonial all were very warm. The Beach pool was dirty, even the scuba instructor said it was the dirtiest pool. They allowed people to play beer pong in the pool so beer was getting spilled in, there were cups often floating around the edge of the pool but the tile itself was dirty. The pool at the Colonial was cleaner and the crowd was less rowdy.
BARS: We went to several swim up bars and lobby bars. No one was friendly. The staff ignores you for a lengthy amount of time before taking your order. The drinks were mixed very well but w/ the cheapest alcohol. You had to pay for things like Absolute or even Malibu Rum.
FOOD: We usually ate breakfast and dinner at the buffets in Beach or Caribe. The food was good and there was variety but it was generally the same variety every day. For dinner they would have the typical chimichangas, tostadas, some type of beef, chicken, fish, and pasta. The fish was always delicious. We ate lunch at the grills and it was good nothing fabulous but always something to fill you up. The buffets and the grills are not air conditioned and it is HOT in there, the waiters/cooks often had sweat dripping from their brow. We also ate at the Spanish and the Mexican restaurants. The food was good at both but really not that much better than the buffets. These restaurants were supposed to be air conditioned but not so much. The staff was so so at the Spanish restaurant but fun and attentive at the Mexican.
ROOMS: I would say rooms are just average. The are a decent size and had a couch, 2 chairs, dresser and the king bed. Our rooms had recently been updated so we also had flat screens. The air conditioning did work in our room but it was not cold by any means. Friends of ours had to move there room 3 times before getting a room w/ mediocre air. The fridge never got cold the entire time we were there but it was stocked w/ whatever we requested. The bathroom was also a good size and had a makeup mirror which was nice, the shower/tub were also big and the shower head was the rain type (wonderful). We had plenty of towels but had to ask for washclothes. The room was cleaned everyday but I think their cleaning standards are a little different than mine. I happened to be in the room one day when the maid was there. They mop w/ a towel draped at the end of a broom handle and they don't really scrub the floor, there were spots on our floor when we checked in and they remained the whole time, I wanted to see if they were stains and couldn't be removed so I grabbed a washcloth and scrubbed it, they do come off it's just that no one took the time to get them off. One thing that was slightly annoying was that the maid and the fridge guy come at different times so you are interupted twice in the afternoon.
Overall this hotel was a 3 star I would say, we got a good deal so we can't complain too much about that. If you are traveling in the summer months you are going to want to make sure that you are on top of the air conditioning issue. It is a constant complaint in these posts. It seemed to us that the air was best in the Uxmal building at the Maya Beach and the Sayil builiding at the Caribe. We also had friends stay in the upgraded Colonial/Tropical section and they actually complained that their air was too cold! They were upgraded when they got to the resort but otherwise you would pay more for that section of the hotel. The grounds were pretty and well maintained but would more than likely be the same at any hotel in Mexico. Overall we had a nice vacation, our goal was to get a tan and spend some quality time w/ friends and that was accomplished.

3  Thank lovintraveling

Dear lovintravelling,

Reviewed 18 June 2010

My daughters and I went on our trip from April 21st to April 28th. It was an excellent trip from beginning to end. Our flight with Sunwing was comfortable and the staff was friendly. The food was quite delicious for airplane food. We arrived at our hotel around 11pm from the airport in our air conditioned coach bus. The ride was approximately 1 1/2 hours from the airport. The hotel lobby was beautiful with warm carribean colours, large comfy chairs and couches and friendly staff that promptly and efficiently checked us into our rooms. We were famished from the bus ride and were relieved when we saw a fridge full of cold water and a slushy machine beside the check in desk. Our rooms were clean, bright and airy. There was a fully stocked bar fridge, a flat screen TV which we only ever had time to watch at 11pm in the evening, a marble bathroom, and comfy beds with soft sheets. They provided slippers and bathrobe.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous with white soft, clean sand, scattered palm trees available for shade, and numerous lounge chairs available for everyone. The grounds and landscaping of the resort were tropical and kept impeccably. There was never a lack of activities available; daily dancing, exercise and games at the main pool; a disco for evening dancing; water toys and sports in the ocean; las vegas style entertainment every evening at 9:30 in the theatre; basketball, a fully equipped gym, tennis courts, chess and some others that I probably missed but you get the point.

The food was better than your average buffet and they tried to make it interesting every night for dinner by having theme nights such as Mexican, French, Chinese, and Caribbean. The a la carte restaurants were excellent, especially the steak house. There was always more than enough food to choose from for the breakfast and lunch buffets at the numerous restaurant locations.

Best of all was the pleasant and friendly staff. They always have a smile for you and a "hola". The staff at the pool were high energy and always kept the patrons entertained with a smile and great sense of humour.

This was a fantastic trip. My daughters and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Caribe? Share your experiences!