“Beautiful, intimate bar and great cuisine!!,”

Hippos Marina Lounge
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lovely breakfast, lunch, dinner and special event restaurant overlooking the dolphins which are less than 15 feet away. Hippo has a great Taco Bar on our second patio with all the toppings you can imagine. Fresh daily fish and lobster sold by the gram. Hand carved American Black Angus steaks cut to size.We have large screen TV's for sports events but keep the volume low so others can enjoy the ambiance. Free fresh popcorn and terrific cocktails and ice cold draft/bottled beers make Hippo a gem in Puerto Aventuras for all to enjoy.
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Meet John the owner at another bar and followed him to his restaurant because they were serving corned beef for St. Patricks Day. So happy we did because we loved the bar and the corned beef was the best we ever had. The shrimps were also great. John is a very friendly and gracious host, making sure our service was good and even sitting to chat with us. Would recommend Hippos highly.

1  Thank Grannyofthree

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Because we love the food and friendly atmosphere at Hiipo's, we have eaten numerous meals here, including lunch and dinner. Because I wanted to have a memorable birthday, I asked John, the owner, and Felipe, the manager to do something special and boy did they. We began with a Cesar salad made from scratch at the table which was out of this world delicious. They prepared a seafood platter for two with two huge lobster tails, grilled jumbo shrimp and also battered jumbo shrimp, fresh calamari and scallops wrapped in bacon. Along with dinner we drank Cadillac margaritas and after dinner Mayan coffees made table side. If that wasn't enough, they brought out an entire tres leches cake with candles burning which was unbelievably delicious and shared with Felipe, John and the waiters. Thanks to John, Felipe , the waiters and chef for a most memorable evening. We never had a meal at Hippo's that was not delicious and because everyone is so pleasant and fun to be around it is a great place to spend any evening.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

After spending over a week in Mexico sometimes you want some good ol' american food like a sandwich or cheeseburger. If you're craving a taste of home, head to Hippos. They are one of the few places in Puerto with a nice selection of gringo food like buffalo chicken sandwich, french dip sandwich, club sandwich, french onion soup, etc. All of the food we got was very good and we'd definitely go back for another meal.

On another note, Hippos is one of the only spots in Puerto that does breakfast. The eggs benedict was very good although priced a little high.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

This was my favourite place for surfing the net, they have a couch area and I could just hang out eat and surf and drink margaritas....
As soon as they saw I was a regular my drink size doubled ha ha....
Friendly, good food, great margaritas.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Friends had told us this was a good place to eat, so we went there a few nights ago. My husband had a hamburger which he said was absolutely delicious and I had the ribs. My ribs were melt in you mouth tender and very tasty, I will definately have them again soon. I like the idea that you can choose 2 sides with your meal, I had the asparagus which was perfectly grilled. Nice atmosphere.