“Excellent vacation”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sterling, Virginia
“Excellent vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Totally recommend this hotel. We'd go back again. My boyfriend and I spent a week at Dreams. We did a little bit of activities and a lot of relaxing.

Musts – Visit the marina area.

Don'ts – Don't visit the spa unless you're paying the price for the special. Its so over priced.

Food - We thought the food was quite good. Breakfast buffet was excellent. The best scrambled eggs, sausage, and hash browns I've ever had I think. We really enjoyed Oceana, the adult only seafood restaurant. Food was very good. Our meal at the Mexican restaurant was also very good. With all the restaurants I recommend the fish. I think its mostly about expectations. Do you really expect something you always get at cheesecake factory to be the same in Mexico? One evening we walked down to the marina area for shopping and dinner. I highly recommend Tirami....su. I had the chicken fettuccine Alfredo and my boyfriend had the flank steak. It was just a lovely place to sit and eat. You can listen to the waterfall, watch the dolphins and enjoy the breeze. After dinner we walked to the other side to a place that serves crepes and ice cream. I loved the coconut ice cream.

Staff – Everyone was super friendly. Everyone at the hotel, the taxi drivers, the locals in the marina area. We always felt very safe.

Excursions - We booked a trip through the Olympus rep to Xel-Ha and Tulum. Wonderful day. They picked us up before 8 am and we had a guided tour of the ruins and at noon they brought us to Xel-Ha. Super, super, super fun. Its like swimming in a huge aquarium, there are that many fish. We stayed all day. Considering we saw two sites, had transportation, and the food and that Xel-Ha is all inclusive for food a drinks I think $119/pp was a great price. It was a bit different then what the rep told us would happen. She said they'd take us to Xel-Ha and we'd have a choice of 4 departure times for Tulum. But when we got to Xel-Ha we just got on another bus for Tulum right away. But it worked out because by noon I was definitely ready to get in the water. Another day we took a cab on our own to Playa Del Carmen ($23 each way) and took the ferry to Cozumel (300 pesos/pp) and spend about 5 hours there. You can stay in Playa and shop but we've been there before and wanted to see what Cozumel was like. Its a cruse ship port so there are a lot of jewelry, cigar, and other touristy shops. But we still had a great time.

Money – I suggest taking about $100 in ones per adult. The dollar is accepted by just about everyone. And a few dollars as tip for meals is greatly appreciated. I do not recommend using the ATM machine at the hotel or anywhere else maybe. I used on in Playa, took our $200 dollars and got charged almost $40 in fees. Maybe the regular banks or the exchanges places are better.

Beach – While the beach itself is small, the area is still plenty big enough to accommodate everyone. This is not a place to stroll for miles on white sand. The beach entrance into the water is tight due to the rocky shores one either side but there was plenty of sea to swim in. And I really don't understand people complaining about the beach chairs. We didn't venture down to the beach until at least 11-2, which I consider the peak time, and there were plenty of empty beach chairs. Tons really. One day we walked to the resort next door and swam in their lagoon. That was nice too.

Room – If you are a light sleeper I think you should specifically request a quiet room. Ours was on the ocean side overlooking the main pool. Every morning as soon as the sun came up the birds in the trees started screaming. I was up at 6 almost every day. But that helped to make me exhausted enough to sleep through the loud music and screams that come from the pool area for my afternoon nap.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one not overlooking the main pool
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuffyBot2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

My husband, our baby girl, my parents and I spent a week at this Dream resort and it was not the best vacation we had, unfortunately.

First, the positives : Service is GREAT. The best service we've had so far in an all-inclusive. Gerrardo, the waiter on the beach, is simply the best. All the restaurant staff was very friendly and they love kids ! The room we got was beautiful.

Like other guests, we also had problems with our keys from the get-go. We had to switch them 4 times... they can be very tricky to use. A tip my husband found on our last day : use both cards, chips on the left handed side. There were times we needed to get into our room pronto so needless to say it was a bit upsetting.

Speaking of getting in our room pronto... By the end of the week, both my parents, my husband and I were turista sick. While of course it is not necessarily the hotel's fault, it definitely may explain better the following comments on food : Very, very average. To be fair, because we were so sick, we were not very hungry. Many meals we didn't eat at all.

Breakfast was the most disappointing because I find it's usually the ''safest meal'' in an all inclusive resort. What can go wrong in a breakfast buffet ? Eggs were cold and either over cooked or under cooked, you had to go to the omelett bar to have decent eggs, 6 days out of 7 there were no bacon. I follow a strict diet so I was looking forward eating my eggs and bacon, didn't happen there. It may come accross as insignifiant but I was looking forward to my all-american breakfast very much and could have deal better with the following meals :

Lunch was very repetitive. We ate either at the BBQ grill outside (hamburgers/hot-dogs) or at the Seaside Grill. While it was repetitive it was good so we were fine with it.

Dinner was terrible. I agree with many other reviewers, Portofino (the italian place) was the place to go. However, they incredibly lacked consistency. The first night we had filet mignon and it was very good. Good quality of meat and cooked as we ordered. The second night my parents had the filet mignon again, thinking it was a safe choice, not so much : it tasted horribly and it was blue rare - we ordered medium. My husband and I had a third dinner there and it was just OK. I went to the buffet twice and both times it was horrible, guests were going in circles with their empty plates wondering what they would eat. Yes, it was this bad. Unless you are very much in a hurry, don't go there for dinner.

Mexican was good, Seaside was OK. We didn't go to the 18+ restaurant since we were with our daughter. Room service was franckly the best option for dinner.

Our daughter is 6 months old and thank god she is not sick with turista (she didn't have any food/drink from the resort ) but she caught a cold. Like my mom and I. The air conditionning is so strong in the à la carte restaurants and the buffet that it got us sick. Lots of people were snizzing and coughing, so I advise you to bring cough syrup etc. in case you need it. You don't want to go the hotel store, they are crooks (as they are in almost every hotel, I understand that). I don't care to be honest, I had a choice to buy or not to buy, but then this happened : the woman in front of me got laugh at when she bought 21$ worth of medecine and they laugh at me when I bought their 5$ Vicks tablets. Thanks ladies, very nice of you...

Lastly, this is a small resort. While I do prefer small resort, there were some inconveniences : the beach is also small. We had to get seats with lots of shade for our baby girl. Guess at what time we had to get up to save seats ? Some days we were too late at 5:30 for a palapa, no kidding ! I used to laugh at people who'd get up at 4 to save seats on the beach, mind you, this is only because I HAD to. No other place on the beach had shade, no palapas/trees near the pool, palapas on the beach were our only option and we had to put our alarm clock on. On our last day my dad went at 5 and he couldn't get one, they were all saved. It was time for us to pack and leave.

We had good days and we had bad days. Food is something very important on my list when I go to an all-inclusive so for this reason we won't be repeat customers. It was actually the first time I was ready to pack and leave after day 4, I appreciate very much being at home !

dedham, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

I traveled with my husband and 2 children (7 & 9). This was literally a no hassle trip...we had no problems with anything. The food was very good and the room service was speedy and delicious when the kids were too tired to do to dinner. We knew there were time share people (as there are in most of the resorts) and we just simply walked away from them / ignored them. We were amazed at how hard the staff worked to make everyone happy, especially the waiters and bartenders on the family side. To my recollection, there was only one afternoon with a drinking game..it was more of a "drink one beer" in the middle of doing all sorts of other crazy things. The entertainment people worked very hard as well. We did not go to many of the shows since we were usually too tired. It was nice to have coffee available as early as 5 am in the lobby since I am an early riser. Yes, shower design was weird and water did get on the floor, but not enough to ruin our vacation.

2 Thank wackyjacqui
Williamstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

This destination was completely amazing. From the second we arrived, we were treated like the most important people at the resort. We were informed that our room was upgraded from a "Garden View" to an "Ocean View". Although this did not mean much to us, when we entered our room, we were pleasantly surprised. The view was breath taking. The service for the entire vacation was second to none. We had previously stayed in an amazing all inclusive resort with a Dreams competitor, and were expecting less from this trip due to the cost literally being HALF of our last vacation. We were pleasantly surprised that the service was as amazing, the room was beautiful, and the amenities were immaculate.
We did run into groups of people who will most likely have negative things to say about Dreams. Honestly, I am not sure why. People have reported that the resort is "crawling with time share" people. Honestly, myself and my wife never experienced one. We never obsered the noted issues with "drunk parents" or unattended children. If you enjoy seeing families have a nice time, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a quiet, uninterruped stay, the resort offers an "adult only" side that includes bar, hot tub, and pool. Myself and my wife enjoyed the lively "family" side of the resort, and felt that the "adult side" was a bit too quiet. The beach is beautiful and I spend hours a day snorkeling and taking underwater pictures while my wife relaxed in the sun on the private beach.

The area that the resort is in is also amazing. Puerto Aventuras is a gated community of residential homes and resorts. You can feel free to walk around the community and enjoy the shops and attractions. Many resorts recommend that you stay on the resort property. This resort allows you to feel safe in the neighborhood and enjoy the surroundings and the culture.

We took one excursian to see the myan ruins at Chichen Itza. Be aware that the bus ride is about 2 hours (which we were told prior to booking) and it is extremely hot there compared to the resort. That being said, it was an amazing trip. Our tour guide, Oscar, was knolwedgable and interesting. He spoke 9 languages and provided information to us that made the trip to one of the "7 wonders of the world" fun and educational. At the end you are able to swim in a 150 food deep natural water supply that will take your breath away.

I can go on and on. To sum it up, we will return to Dreams Puerto Aventuras next year. It was truly the perfect relaxing vacation

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJC2011
Harrisburg, PA.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

This was our second visit (My wife, son [12] and I) to a Dreams Resort. In June of 2009 we traveled to the Dominican Republic and stayed at Dreams Punta Cana. Let me say that both resorts are uniquely different, but both were equally exceptional resorts.

Last year we traveled to Mexico in the company of another couple and their 8 year old twins. The resort was much smaller and quaint than Dreams Punta Cana, but we really enjoyed that. Because everything was in close proximity to each other, we were able to let the kids run around and still keep a close eye on them. This was HUGE for us, and probably made it one of the best vacations we ever took.

This AI resort had plenty of restaurants to choose from and we thoroughy enjoyed each and every one of them. Our favorite was the Seaside Grill where my son said he had the best Filet Mignon he ever ate, thus ordering another filet and eating that too! LOL! I have to say that the World Cafe had the best selection of foods and could easily be visited daily if necessary.

Off site there are plenty of activities to choose from. We went on an all day excursion which took us to an underwater cave (cenote), then rapelling, zip lining and lastly to the Tulum ruins. The beach at the Tulum ruins has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and ranks right up there with the beach at Waimea Bay on the North Shore of Hawaii.

In my opinion this resort caters to Families with Children. Be cautioned of this because during our trip the pool and beach areas were full of loud, screaming kids. We do not mind this at all, but young couples and/or newlyweds may not take a liking to this.

All in all it was a wonderful trip and we would not hestiate to patronize this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank AKL_HBG
Bridgewater, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

I don't have much time to write a review...I can go on for at least an hour, but I will keep it as short as possible. This resort has to be one of the BEST vacations I have ever gone on. I traveled to this resort for a short vacation with three friends. Here is a quick overview:

Staff: The staff at this resort were so wonderful. They went above and beyond with everything. We werent even done with our drinks and they brought us out new ones on the beach. There was no need to even get up ourselves to get them. They greeted us off our bus when we arrived with cold towels for our hands or neck since it was very warm when we arrived. The check-in process was great. Although it was an all-inclusive, since the service was so great, we all tipped a few bucks at each meal and about every other drink.

Rooms: very relaxing. You were given bathrobes and slippers when you entered your room. The only complaint I had about the room was that the bathroom shower had half a door...by the time I was done showering, the floor looked like a pool (but there was drainage for it). The beds were SO comfortable!

Money: On the paperwork before you arrive to Mexico it encourages you to get pesos and not bring american money. That was not true. everyone accepted american money and discouraged us from using pesos because it would be cheaper if paid in american money. The peso thing was very confusing because the rate changed daily, and you really didnt know the value of what you were purchasing. At times when I purchased things downtown with the vendors, I felt that I was bring ripped off.

Food: excellent. All water, food etc was safe to eat! Restaurants had no reservations and if you did have to wait, you waited for no more than 20 minutes.

Pools: There is an adult pool for people who prefer not to be near kids. Than there is the normal "fun" pool which I would have preferred but was with friends who wanted more of a relaxing trip with no screaming. If you want to sleep late or not be woken up at 6am by screaming kids in a pool, request a room on the "adult pool side"

Spa: very nice relaxing place..... I have had better massages though.

BTW...when we arrived we asked nicely for an upgrade and at not cost got upgraded from a garden view to ocean view.

Only thing missing was a casino, but it saved me some money :)

On our last night, the hotel honored the world energy hour where people turn off the lights to save energy and prove that we can live without power for an hour.... to help guests with this minor glitch they gave people green glowsticks and had a fire/light show on the beach.

Overall, it was an EXCELLENT trip and I would go back anytime or recommend it to anyone. Of course there will be people who always have bad reviews for a place, but I would rate this resort on a scale from 1-10 about a 12.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AuntMessy
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

It was GREAT! Our family was 5 - twins turned 3 down there, 5 year old, and us. We also travelled with in-laws and my mom, and my sister...so there were 9 of us total. All the rooms were great, but we called ours the death-trap as although it was lovely it was a LOFT with slippery wooden stairs that lead to the pull out couch that they thought was sufficient for the 3 kids! I lost it on the front desk...as if my twins tried to come down for the bathroom in the middle of the night it would have been fatal! BUT the cots that they offered are GREAT they aren't fold up but full 8 inch beds. The kids loved having one bed on each side of our king.
The little guys were not good with the kid club, but did do the beach activities with them at the end of the day on the beach.
The 5 min walk tot he marina -GREAT! our party swam with dolphins & set up fishing trips...
We did a private cab to Tulum, as our kids were little. the price to Tulum - round-trip includes your driver sitting in the taxi and waiting for you the whole time! We did a private cab to the airport too and again the price included a detour to Playa Del Carmen 5th Avenue to shop! The twins were napping and they stayed with Grandma in the van the whole time we shopped! All the cabs were arranged by the bell boys at the hotel.
Great staff, they knew us-our family name, & our room number at all the restaurants by the end. We participated in the gladiator games, both my husband and boy & I Zumba danced, and the kids all danced at the dance party...all the activities are lots of fun!

1 Thank swatab
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,923 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,564 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,169 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!