“EXCELLENT SERVICE!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
“EXCELLENT SERVICE!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We've stayed at 4 different resorts in Mexico. Dreams has the BEST food, the BEST drinks, and the BEST service. Juan from World Cafe went out of his way to always take care of us. Dreams is lucky to have him. I love that you don't have to make reservations for your a la cartes. Our beds were incredibly comfortable and we always found a spot on the beach. This resort is small. It's wonderful to be able to run back to room in under 3minutes! Bar service on the beach was incredible. It's so nice to go to a resort and be treated so well. I loved being able to take out a bike and ride around Puerto Adventuras. The dive shop on site is also FABULOUS and the staff is fantastic! Book a snorkel trip with them and you will not be dissapointed! Every resort has pros and cons, you've heard the pros so here the cons; the resort iself is not beautiful, it's old, it's plain, it's colorless, it's rundown. The lobby is, blah, the art is blah, but really? who cares? The theater is tiny and the entertainment...not so good. The entertainment staff (all male) were very attentive if you were a young good looking female. They did not do half of the things on the calander of events...example; zumba or dance lessons, I'd go to the area and nothing would be happening, I'd track down staff who were busy flirting with the young ones, I also really wanted the Spanish lessons and a bike tour. This happened 4 times in one trip, so, I just gave up on the entertainment activities. I loved the outdoor movies though, that was cool. One evening a local band came and gave an incredible show on the beach. All in all we had a wonderful vacation and as I mentioned earlier, the food drinks and service was wonderful!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Tammy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Dreams PA was amazing! The only feedback I have would be this is more family orientated and not geared towards couples. We had a room on the main floor just off the pool area, which was way better then I expected, never was disturbed by noise. And a great thing about this location was we didn't have to worry about getting chairs by the pool and the servers even came to ask us on our deck for drinks, which was top notch! Food was amazing! Our favorite was actually the in room dining pizza and chicken fingers!! The beach was fantastic! Lots of chairs which was nice but some of the chairs were broken. Loved the location of resort and we even ventured into Playa Del Carmen to catch an oiler game. We chose this area to be out of the "touristy" cancun area as neither of us had been to Mexico before. Thank you so much for making our first vacation amazing! You have now set the bar high for any future vacations :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Megan P
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Dreams was the perfect location for our family of 7 (6 adults and one baby) to go to get away from snow for a week in Feb. Before I booked a resort on the Mayan Riviera, I checked the U.S. State Department site for any travel warnings, which they don't have.
As others have said, Dreams is small, but it had mostly everything we wanted. It had a good beach volleyball court, where my family spent many hours. The beach was kept clean and there were plenty of seat selections where my grandson could play in the sand. He also liked going up and down the steps in the kiddie pool. It was nice that they had an adult pool with a swim-up bar on the marina side. Our rooms were on the marina side, which was more quiet. Except my daughter and husband had one of the noisier rooms that was right over the lobby area on the 3rd floor. They easily changed their room a day later.
Overall, we were happy with the food, entertainment and the number of restaurants to choose from. The beds are best we've experienced in Mexico and we travel a lot.
I give them lower points for prices at the spa. They charged $159 for a 60 minute massage.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank redhead_librarian
Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We just returned from a 7 day stay at this resort. It was a fantastic stay.

The resort is a tad bit small, but very clean and the food is great. We also liked the fact that there were no reservations needed for the ala carte restaraunts.

The only down side to the entire stay was that our bathroom area filled with water whenever we took a shower (think 1/8 inch). They would squeegee it out whenever they came into the room for turndown service, etc., so if you timed it right, it wasnt a big deal. I don't know if all rooms do this, but it was unavoidable in ours.

Overall, I would highly reccomend this resort!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank MO_outdoor_adventure
Rapids City, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I will start by saying I can only compare this to Secrets Maroma. Both are highly rated. Both are all inclusive. Maroma is adults only, and typically much more expensive. Most of the differences were subtle, but they added up. Let this review be a compare and contrast for those wanting to know why one place may be better than the other.

Food:
At first glance, the food and restaurants seem the same. Several even have the same name since they are both Amstar resorts. The World Cafe was very similar, although we only ate breakfast there. Both had good service and a nice variety. Secrets Maroma went a little farther in that they had smoked salmon and other fish available on the breakfast buffet. the Secrets waiters offered Mimosas, whereas at Dreams PA, you had to ask or find it yourself. The Italian restaurant (Portofino) was supposed to be the prime restaurant, but we ate there twice and I was unhappy one time and unimpressed the other. El Patio, the Mexican restaurant, had a good atmosphere, but the food just was not as good at Dreams PA versus Secrets Maroma (could have been what I ordered). The best restaurant was Oceana. If you like seafood, it was very good at both places. Secrets Maroma also has a much nicer outdoor grill for lunch. At Dreams PA, this was very slow and very limited (burgers and hot dogs only). Dreams PA did have a nice Seaside restaurant that was good for lunch (the ceviche was excellent, as were the fish tacos).

Rooms:
We were in the same booking (no upgrade requested). Dreams PA did not have a jacuzzi tub (Secrets Maroma did). The Secrets room was about double the size of the Dreams PA room. The Dreams PA room also had a mold problem. We could smell it (strongly) immediately. After a week, it was tolerable. I mentioned to the staff that it was terrible on the first day. On Day 2, they put an air purifier in the room and told us it would take 24 hours to have an impact. I would recommend bringing some Glade or Febreeze. Looking around, one can see mold growing in room corners and on the outside walls of the hotel. It's a humid place, but they should handle this better.

Service:
First see the issue with the mold. Secrets PA had a concierge for each small building (I think there were over 10... overkill for the resort size, but easy access). Dreams PA had 3 or 4 concierges in the lobby for the entire site. The bartenders and waiters at both locations were very friendly, but language seemed to be a bit more of a barrier at Dreams PA. It was no problem ordering food or drinks, but harder to have a spontaneous conversation. All seemed very friendly and food/drink service were prompt and professional.

Resort Site:
Secrets Maroma is very secluded. It takes arrangements to leave the site and explore. Dreams Puerto Aventuras has an advantage here in that it is part of the Puerto Aventuras resort area and it is very easy to go explore the marina, shops, Dolphin Adventure, and book a fishing trip. There is an adults pool (out back) and a family pool (on the beach) at Dreams PA, but if you want a beach view with your quiet pool, go to Secrets Maroma. Dreams PA did have good snorkeling on site. There is a little tidal pool with many fish (fun for kids and adults) and it is a short walk down the beach to find other good snorkeling spots. It's relatively rocky, but there is still a decent beach area. Secrets Maroma is an excellent beach, but not much else to explore.

Overall, both are very nice hotels, but I booked Dreams PA wondering why it was so much cheaper than Secrets Maroma (both rated 6G apples by Apple). It's the small differences. Dreams PA seems a better bet for families, but not romance/couples. Secrets Maroma has the edge in most areas (food, room, ambience) but Dreams has the advantage for the ability to explore easily off-resort and try a little snorkeling without paying for an excursion.

I hope this helps people looking to understand the differences between resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms on the adult side are quieter, but no ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank cpschneider
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

It was a great St. Valentine's Day cold February escape from the Washington DC Metro area.
Great service, great food, great room with a view and great entertainment for kids and adults alike cannot be find alltogether anywhere else but Dreams Puerto Aventuras.
I chose to go here since my wife and I went to this group's hotel in Los Cabos for our honeymoon. Compare to that resort this one is slightly smaller but amenities are far more better.
The service quality, food, and smiling faces of the beautiful people of Mexico will make me come back here one more time.

Room Tip: upgrade to the preferred group level
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank kunteper007
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have a bad experience in the Dreams Puerto Aventura I was at the beach and somebody stole my digital camara and my watch while i was in the water,they steal pictures of my vacations and my family the employees were not helpful toward my problemn even i offer a reward to the person that finds my camara but never appear my things I thought that doesnt happen this things in a 5 star hotel I travel all over the world and i stayed in hostels I never was robed there even i share rooms with stranger and nothing happen this incident ruin my vacation I cant trust anybody stay away from this place,the thieves in order to steal my things put his hands inside my bag

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NycMarisa
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we are deeply sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. As professionals in the service industry we take your comments very seriously and they will be passed on to our executive management team.

With regards to the incident mentioned, a full report was made at the time you reported the incident to us and every effort was made to locate the missing items. Unfortunately this incident occurred outside of our resort perimeters beside the beach of a nearby hotel. Contact was made with the security department of this hotel and a report was also filed by them, however, after an extensive search of both hotels the missing items were unfortunately not located.

We pride ourselves in guest service and strive for overall guest satisfaction so we do hope that one day you will choose to return here with us so that we are able to do our very best to fulfill your requirements and demonstrate the type of high quality service we uphold here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

Best Regards,

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#93 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,895 reviews

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!