“Fabulous time!!”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband I were married at the resort on May 24, 2013 and we are so glad we picked this resort. We had 26 people total in our group and although a few people had phone and toilet issues, everyone had a wonderful time and had so many compliments.

Lets start with when we first got to the resort. Upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted by several friendly employees and it was at that point that we met Marco. Marco was absolutely wonderful the entire time we were at the hotel. He was friendly, helpful, and was always looking out for our guests. If we needed anything, he made sure it was done. We had a room on the preferred club floor so even though we were there before check in, our room was ready to go and our bags made it to our room almost immediately after we did. Our room was great as well. Mini bar was always stocked and I am pretty sure there was someone in our room 2-3 times per day either cleaning, doing turn down service or filling our minibar. Beds and pillows were really comfortable and we slept great the entire time we were there. Our view was SPECTACULAR. Ocean view on the 7th floor is beautiful.

The grounds of this hotel are very nice. Especially with such a large group of people, it was nice that we could always find each other. We spent time on both the ocean side and the adult side of the hotel, both were great. I especially was happy that there were towels always available and there were no towel cards. Have had to do that elsewhere is the past and it is so inconvenient. The grounds of the hotel are nice also because if you walk around to the Barracuda bar side of the hotel, there is some quiet beach area. Beach was always clean and there were plenty of chairs even though the hotel was full.

I have seen many complaints about restaurants but I would have to say that I disagree. Breakfast at the buffet was very good. Most days, we had burgers from the grill by the beach but there was also a Memorial Day BBQ on the beach that was really good. Sushi restaurant was really good and it was nice because there were small portions. Could try many things or kind of do sushi as a predinner snack. Oceana had good food as did Portofino. El Patio had slow service but the food was excellent.

Fourteen people in our group swam with the dolphins and manatees. I have done this before at Xcaret but this program was so much better. There was so much interaction with the dolphins and manatees. Normally, groups only have 10 people but the program was very accommodating so that we could all go together.

We also took a trip to Dreams Tulum to check out the Preferred Club. This hotel is stunning and we will probably return there. Very nice and we received $150.00 in resort credit that we used towards the dolphins. This is also a good way to have most of the taxi cost to Tulum paid for. The hotel pays for part of the transportation.

The spa is very nice here. I get massages every six weeks and this was by far the best massage I have ever had. Also, I had my make up for my wedding done at the spa and the girl did an excellent job.

Finally, we of course went to this resort for our wedding. Jacki, the wedding coordinator, is absolutely amazing. Everything was taken care of and we had to do very little once we arrived at the resort to get ready for the wedding. We had a bonfire on the beach the night before the wedding. This was worth every penny that we spent for it. The appetizers were great and were really more like a meal. Mini cheeseburgers, hot dogs, quesadillas, empanadas and flautas. Really good. The wedding gazebo on the beach is a wonderful setting for weddings and the flowers and setup were very nice. We had cocktail hour at Barracuda Bar and had a mariachi band. The appetizers were really good. Then there was the reception. We had the reception on adult side of the hotel on the terrace. The food was unbelievable. An appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert. It was SO much food. We had filet and lobster. It was excellent and the presentation of all of the food was beautiful. The wedding cake was also so good. We had a DJ and had so much fun. We even had a little girl wander over and a few of us spent some time with her dancing. She was so cute. The morning after the wedding breakfast was sent to our room as was the top of our cake and all of the wedding flowers. We are so happy with how everything turned out and I don't think we could have asked for it to be any better.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Guest,

First and foremost we would like to congratulate on your recent wedding and say that it was truly an honor for us to be part of such a special day. Jacki will be truly thrilled to read such wonderful comments and learn that your special day was everything you dreamed of.

We truly appreciate all of the wonderful comments shared within your review. Reviews such as yours serve as true inspiration to our team and our head chef will be particularly pleased to learn that you not only enjoyed the food at the wedding but throughout the remainder of your stay also.

We wish you both all the best in your new married life together and we hope to see you back here with us again soon!

Kindest Regards,

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,817)

Reviewed 4 June 2013

What to say, this place is good for the family with children. First of all, they have rooms to accomodate you if you have more than 2 kids plus Explorer's club! It saved our life, was very helpful option, for kids 3+ only. Babysitting is available too, but I did not tried it.

Hotel is not that big, has only 7 floors and three elevators, all on one side. It's clean and the rooms are maintained well, twice a day you could say. Towels are fresh, not worned out. They offer you bathrobes and slippers. You could take the slippers with you.

I liked that drinking water was served in plastic bottles, not cups.

Mini bar in the room is included but only with soft drinks, no alcohol.

DVD player is also included, you could take your DVDs or rent for free what they have (they had only about 10 available).

From the staff we liked Fernanda at front desk, Rene at Seaside restaurant and Santiago from the main pool bar. In general, very friendly staff. Their spoken English is quite good to understand your requests (doesn't happen at many hotels).

What we did not like: food variety was not great at all (as if you were cooking at home), fruits were very limited, coffee was too stong that even cream or milk did not make it any better. Washrooms and restaurants do not have any AC, feels like sauna inside washrooms and restaurants are too hot, especially when many people arrive.
Last two days of our stay a huge group of teenagers (girls with their teachers) arrived. I believe they were fifty or so. So, it could be quiet for some days but some others you won't have any possibility to hear each other (I mean it :) unless you go to the adult area (the entrance from concierge side). Movies are offered at 7.30 pm daily at the beach/theatre, if rainy. Only once it was suitable for kids, other times was either violent or not interesting.

Room service is 24/7 but the first time we ordered it they forgot, so we had to call and remind them in about 1.5 hour (instead of 30 minutes). I already fell asleep by that time obviously.

For diabetis concerned people: they do offer spenda.

We liked menu at Oceana restaurant but they accept kids only on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Entertainment was so so I should say, no great shows but kept guests busy. Mostly just games. Music is not very kids appropriate, all zumba/rap/jamaican fast style.

Ocean/swimming pool/hotel/restaurants are all close to each other within 1 minute. That is amazing! The weather was crazy from killing sun to pouring rain, so it was very convenient.
Rene was very nice to take a run to hotel and bring the umbrellas (he did not have to but did)!

If you don't like long drive from the airport please keep in mind that transfer takes about 1,5 hour to hotel, fast speed! On the way back half of the roads were covered in water from the storm, so the driver had to go in the opposite direction! Well, we made it to the airport.

It was a good place to relax overall, with clean water and convenient everything around, just a bit boring.

3  Thank Anna H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such valuable feedback following your vacation with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. Many guests inform us that they like to read reviews prior to booking and detailed comments such as yours will be truly helpful to them.

We truly appreciate the kind remarks made regarding your stay and we apologize for any inconveniences or bad impressions caused by the large group of guests that arrived shortly prior to your leaving. Please rest assured that these comments as well as the other constructive criticism shared within our review have been shared with our heads of department in order to be addressed and improved.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I just got back yesterday from my 4 night/5 day stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. Overall the stay was very nice and we all enjoyed ourselves despite some icky weather moments and rough waters which made it impossible to snorkel and kayak during our entire stay. The resort was small which was nice because it made it easy to find people in your group if you separated and also it was never a far walk to your room. This was my first all-inclusive and though I liked it I would not stay there again because of a few things. I'll break it down:

Rooms: We upgraded to an oceanview suite which was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. My sister thought it was weird that the only liquor in the mini fridge was corona, because at her last resort (Riu Cancun) they had full liquor bottles available). Anyway, the room was very clean except for the one nightstand that has little ants all over it. I hate bugs, even ants, so I was horrified to wake up to my cell phone covered in them. Ewww! I did like the view and the bathroom was very modern. Even though the hallways are super humid, the A/C in the room is gangster, and kept my room nice and cool the whole stay.

Service: The service was excellent across the board. Room service, waiters, bartenders, front desk, etc. exceeded my expectations.

Spa: The spa is gorgeous inside but my friend and I sprang for a 2-for-1 80 minute beachside massage which was HEAVEN! So relaxing and you feel the ocean breeze and listen to the waves crash against the rocks. It was a transcendent experience!

Activities: Though we didn't get to make the most of what they offered due to rough waters, the resort does have a lot of activities for rainy and non-rainy weather, and seemed to have a lot to offer children as well. Also, even if you don't see the daily free dolphin show, you can just walk along the water to see the dolphins playing around! We didn't see the manatees though.

Beach/Pools: It was a nice beach though the water had a lot of plant life in it so water shoes are recommended (especially if you walk over to the reefs/rocks right on the right side of the beach). The pools and jacuzzis were great! We really made the most of the adult pool (with a swim up bar and water chaises) because it was so peaceful and clean.

Location: This is one of the reasons I wouldn't stay here again. I think it's a little too far from all the action in the area. It's close to Tulum, but then I'd rather just stay in Dreams Tulum if I'm going so far from Cancun.

Food/Drinks: This is the main reason I wouldn't stay here again. The alcohol drinks were hit or miss as they often used bottom shelf liquor. The tequila was the worst! Also, the sodas all tasted watered down unless it was served in a bottle. The food was just okay, but nothing to write home about. Basically the quality you would expect to eat at Applebee's or some other chain like that and I just felt we paid for a better food experience than what we got. The seafood and steak was overall good, but often the seasoning was off or it was overcooked. The burgers were awful! Overall there weren't enough vegetables/healthy options so I just felt like I ate a lot of junk. One other gripe is they only announce the restaurants that are open the next night on the previous evening so it's hard to plan out when you should go to each restaurant. It's great that you don't have to make reservations, but it sucks that you can't plan in advance too far.
+ Breaking it down by restaurant:
- World Buffet - We only ate lunch here once and it was pretty gross. The fruit was off and we didn't like a lot of the options. However, they do an excellent breakfast so we happily are breakfast here every morning.
- Seaside Grill - We ate lunch here 3 times and dinner once. It's perfect for lunches and the food is much better than the buffet. That said, they had the same limited menu (maybe 12 items) the whole time so I wish they offered more. Also, dinner here was good. They turn it into a steakhouse at night and the ribeye I had was actually quite good. Also, the bread, a cheesy parmesan or something like that, was fantastic.
- Oceana - This is their seafood restaurant and it's opened most nights I believe. This was pretty good and had a nice outdoor ambience. The seafood I had was well prepared and everyone else liked their meal, but the quality was that of Red Lobster so not bad, but not great.
- Portofino - This was out least favorite restaurant. Honestly, the quality of the Italian is no bueno and we refused to eat here again. Not one of us were thrilled with anything we ate here! The worst part is this is their "fancy" restaurant so we were asked to dress more formal for mediocre cuisine!
- Sushi Bar - I think this is new to the resort. We went here a few hours before dinner (we ate late that night) just to have some sushi and tempura. The ambience and decor is great but the fish was NOT fresh or sushi grade AT ALL! It was dry and dull in color. 'm shocked we didn't get sick but do not eat raw fish here!!!
- El Patio Mexican - This was BY FAR our favorite restaurant. Unfortunately we were unable to go twice because it was closed our last night. Anyway, the decor inside is GORGEOUS and the room as big windows with views of the ocean. Also, the food was top notch. If I could do it all again I would have eaten here three nights and at the Seaside Grill on the 4th night!

Sorry for the long review! It was a nice experience but I would definitely go elsewhere next time for better food, a better location and just a new experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsSmarts

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate the time taken to share such a detailed review with us following your recent vacation at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests' feedback is essential in order to achieve ultimate guest satisfaction.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we do apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

You may understand that when it comes to food, taste and perception are involved and it is always difficult to get a 100% of satisfaction, but this does not stop us from continuously looking for ways to improve. We can guarantee you that we will continue challenging ourselves so our guests enjoy our food and all of our guests' feedback is precious for this continuous process. All of the feedback regarding your experiences within our centers of consumption have been shared with our Food & Beverage manager as well as our head chef in order to be addressed and improved.

We do hope that one day you decide to return here with us and we are confident that we will be able to exceed your expectations in all areas.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Dreams Puerto Aventuras from May 12-19, 2013. We were NOT disappointed with our choice of resorts. We were on the 5th floor with ocean view (the picture from our room looked like a post card). There seemed to be a lot for the kids to do. The beach was very nice. Service and drinks were good. Food was excellent in some restaurants and OK in others- all in all pretty good. The hotel room is not ultimate luxury- if that is what you are looking for it may not be for you. To me more important is the beach, water and water sports. I was able to snorkel several times right there in the water at the resort- it was AMAZING. I saw barracudas, sea urchins, lots of fish. Wasn't hard to find them at all. Lots to do right at the resort. Entertainment was good and in good taste- not too "hokey". Bed was comfortable (very). Water in the shower took a while to warm up and water pressure was just OK.
The staff is SO friendly. It's a smaller resort so it's easy to meet people and make friends if you want to. We met several couples who and families who we ran into throughout the week. After a few days we knew all the bartenders and entertainment crew by name!! One day I signed up for a bike tour and was the only one- got my own private bike tour with Iban who was adorable! The resort was VERY relaxing yet there was plenty to do if you wanted to. Snorkeling, biking, (they would give you a bike to use if you wanted one), catamaran rides (20 min. someone takes you out). One night my husband and I paid extra for the lobster dinner- WELL worth is. We were treated like VIP's - table by the window overlooking the water, dinner was excellent and presented SO nicely. Jimmy was our waiter and was excellent!!
Overall I would recommend this resort. Comfortable, relaxing, and fun. We felt no need to go off the resort- everything was there. We did one half day snorkeling excursion. We could walk to the marina and a little town with shopping and restaurants- very nice- music at night. Anytime you wanted to you could go and watch the dolphins or watch people swim with them. They had a 10 minute presentation every day where you could meet the dolphins and the trainers and they would do a few tricks. I chose this resort for the water activities- the beach (good sand- no rocks) the snorkeling, and the marina/dolphins. I feel that I made the right choice. Employees are friendly, service good, food decent/good. Very enjoyable vacation- I felt we DEFINITELY got our money's worth with the food, drinks, and amenities and entertainment!! I heard from other people who had travelled in the area before (this was our first time in Mexico) that some of the other resorts had rocky beaches or you can't swim in the sea because it's too rough- I loved the cove right there at this resort. Also other resorts give you wrist bands that designate where you are able to eat apparently and reservations are required for meals. Not so here- we spent every day at the beach from 9:00 til 5 or 6 and left when we felt like it- no rush- took our time getting ready for dinner. All VERY relaxing. I would be interested to try other resorts just to try something different but this one had everything I was looking for. Also the weather was PERFECT every day except for the last day. A nice breeze, not too hot, sunny- just beautiful. The last day it was cloudy and drizzled a few times- but still nice. Still got to the beach.

Room Tip: The marina/dolphin side is quitter and more relaxing- the ocean side is noisier but never bothered m...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dianne M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback following your vacation with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the water sports and activities that we have to offer.

Jimmy will be extremely pleased to hear that we was able to assist you and that his efforts were recognized and appreciated.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

First time that we have sytayed here. The service was superb on all fronts and the staff could not have been more hospitable and accommodating. A nice variety of restaurants to choose from and the grounds were kept spotless.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a very nice view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Inis J
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It was certainly our pleasure to have had you as our guests. We are very happy to know you had a great stay with us and that you were able to experience the high levels of service and quality that we are known for.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are ready to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

My mom and I took a week vacation down in Mexico, it was my first time and I didn't know what to expect. The hotel was smaller, but that was the best thing about it., It was never too crowded and we didn't have to wait long to be seated.
The food was amazing, We loved every bit of it. The waiters definitely made the meal. Hilario from Seaside was there our first net and set a great tone for the rest of our trip, and Jorge with the white glasses at Gohan was sweet and funny.
My favourite part was the entertainment team. We got to know these guys during our week. They were social, outgoing, and proved that a little fun makes a great vacation even better. Big thanks to Jesus, Ivan, and "Babyface" for some of the best memories.
We enjoyed our trip so much, and be sure to check out the ruins, xplore, and cocobongo!

1  Thank Sarah S

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first stay here with us and we truly hope that it was the first of many.

All of your feedback will be shared with our operations team, especially with the staff members you took the time to mention. They will be particularly pleased to know that they were able to assist you during your time here with us. Our entertainment pride themselves on guest satisfaction and they will be thrilled to learn that you enjoyed all the interaction you had with them.

Thank you for sharing you feedback with the Tripadvisor community and we hope to be able to welcome both yourself and your mom back again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Went to Dreams Puerto Aventuras with family for the wedding of my niece. Could not have had a more relaxing and enjoyable time. The food and service was outstanding and the setting gorgeous! The staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to make my stay the best it could be.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments following your stay with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. It was a true pleasure to be part of such a special day for your entire family.

As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests feedback is very valuable and great feedback such as yours is always appreciated.

We hope to have you back here with us in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!