“Over priced for poor service”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“Over priced for poor service”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Upon arrival the front seemed less than extravagant.
The hotel was over crowded and and the staff seemed less than eager to help.

The hotel itself experienced an overwhelming amount of complaints per day.

The rooms were nice but infested with bugs. Giant roaches came out in full force to audition for a television show. dead or alive were not cleaned up. Friends of ours were engulfed in bed bugs but I'll save that for their review.

Food service was very slow and I was very sick from the "world renowned" chef's soup of the day at the Italian restaurant.

I've never experienced bar tenders that refused to serve at an all inclusive resort until we went to the disco bar with in the resort.
Bar tenders would often walk around with their heads down and pretend not to see you just to avoid from serving patrons.
Drinks had to be reordered 7 or 8 times before receiving and was was watered down in some disgusting form of rubbing alcohol.

It was a bad experience to say the least.

If you are thinking of visiting this resort, just throw your money away and save the trouble.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank pinpin-san
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear pinpin,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your stay here with us last July. We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your vacation.

Whilst we understand that whatever we may say we will not be able to change the perception you have of us we would like to mention a few of the points raised within your review.

Our resort, including all rooms are fumigated several times a week. Unfortunately we have no record of any complaints being made regarding cockroaches or bedbugs as you mention within your review.

We were surprised to hear that you did enjoy the drinks and service within our bars as this is an area that many guests have commented positively about, although we do understand that this is a matter of personal taste. Your comments have been shared with our Food & Beverage manager in order to be addressed and improved.

You may understand that when it comes to food, taste and perception are involved and it is always difficult to get a 100% of satisfaction, but this does not stop us from continuously looking for ways to improve. We can guarantee you that we will continue challenging ourselves so our guests enjoy our food and all of our guests' feedback is precious for this continuous process.

We hope you choose to return here with us in the future so that we are truly able to demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that our guests are accustomed to experiencing.

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We recently spent 9 nights in Dreams PA, and had a wonderful time, really nothing to complain, and only with joyful memories. The weather was surprisingly good!!!

Our room:
Upon informing the resort we were celebrating our anniversary, they put us on the sixth floor facing the marina, although we only purchased the Garden Suite. Thanks Dreams! We did encounter the wet floor the first night that some people were complaining here, and we quickly found out it was because we turned the thermostat too high like 24C. So we tested it out a bit; if we kept the thermostat at 15 - 17C, the room is dry, and make sure patio door is closed. So no condensation. Our housekeeping guy Miguel was amazing, and very dedicated to his work. Keeping room very clean, always has new towels, our fridge was always stocked, and created a new amazing animal towel arts everyday, my daughter was totally amazed.

We love that we can go to a la carte every night, no limit. We enjoyed most the Italian restaurants, tasteful dishes nicely presented. Teodoro made us feel like VIP there. Oceana is also our favorites, the waiter, Caesar remembered what drinks we ordered from the first night. Siliva at the buffet remembered our last name. All the staff were very nice and helpful. Love the coffee shop. They held a beach lunch buffet once during our stay with nice yummy seafood.

Entertainment Team
They were very energetic and enthusiastic, always try to involve people. It's my daily routine to join the aquagym. We have done quite a few activities with them, beach volleyball, snorkel trips, beach/pool games, beach zumba, walking tour, etc. We attended three night shows, there were daily shows, but we can only find time to attend 3. All were good and enjoyable.

Activities
Remember to take advantage of the free Catamaran trip. We also enjoyed the free use of kayak, and snorkeling. We checked out the bicycles and ride around town, together with my sister's family. All 3 kids in our group (age from 6 up, height from 51 inch) is able to ride the female bikes with the seats set at the lowest position.

The kids in our group had great time in playing on the beach and pool, and particular taking turn "buying" each other drinks :-). They didn't care about much the explorer's club, as they like freedom on their own. But I did see many kids seem to having fun with the explorer's club

Car rental
We rented a big van from Tulum Car rental to accommodate two families, for a day to Chichen Itza. We were concerned about all the comments about the police, but decided to take a chance. The rental car company came pick up the driver to its office in Playa Del Carman, and drop him off to the resort after he returned the vehicle. The whole trip was very smooth, we never went into any problem with police. My hubby and brother-in-law followed the post speed, and occasionally went over 10km. All were well. We definitely will do it again in the future. It was much flexible.

Suggestion for improvement:
I feel the storage of the double beds room is only meant for two people. We have 4 people stay in the room, there was not enough storage room for everyone's clothing. It will be nice the resort can fit a dresser in the room

I wish the concierge could sign out bikes instead of waiting for the entertainment team who could be busy holding activities. We were waiting like 1/2 hour for the bikes.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. This is our second all inclusive vacation. The first one was more than ten years ago, and more expensive, but not as good as Dreams PA. Highly recommended.

1 Thank keion
Dear keion,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share such a wonderfully detailed review and such beautiful photos following your recent family vacation here with us at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

We understand the importance of guest feedback and readily welcome all comments both positive and negative as these highlight the areas in which we are exceeding as well as the areas that may need improvement. Please rest assured that your suggestions regarding the lack of storage as well as the bicycle proceedures have been shared with the involved departments in order to be addressed and where possible improved.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Kidnest Regards,

Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Beach part was small but it was crystal clear. You could see fish from walking a foot in. Rooms were great, beds even better. The restaurants take FOREVER which is disappointing because the food is great. The Italian restaurant is AMAZING! Go there more than once. Over all we had a blast. We did alot of the day time activities which were always alot of fun. The entertainment staff is great!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear ashbo44,

We are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and we appreciate the wonderful comments regarding our beach area, food and guest rooms. We apologize for any bad impressions caused the service within our restaurants. Your feedback has been passed on to our food and beverage manager in order to be addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you once again in the near future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Dreams in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico in mid October 2013. I was there for a wedding and completely enjoyed myself. The rooms were clean and the service and friendliness of employees was top notch. The resort was smaller than most I have visited, which was great to easily find friends and family. The beach was clean, beautiful and very close(within 200 feet of my room) The atmosphere was invigorating, even when hung over it was easy to ease back in and enjoy myself. The resort had both a family pool/hot tub and an adult pool/hot tub area(on the opposite side) They had dolphin ponds right at the resort for anyone who was interested.

Room Tip: First floor walks right out into the pool area
Dear Myles C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent visit to Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience the high levels of service that we are known for.

We hope to be able to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've been to Mexico about 7 times and so far this was the best resort overall. I stayed for 10 days. Yes, the ride from the airport was 1 1/2 hrs but the driver stopped at a 7-11 so we could pick up some beer. Pay in Pesos vs dollars. Greeted at the reception desk with champagne, nice little touch. We upgraded to the 7th floor. Worth every cent! Top shelf bar, quiet floor, not to mention the impeccable service. Anything you wanted. The pools were like bath water, so was the ocean. Snorkeling equipment available once per day for free as well as a catamaran ride (20 min) and kayaking (1 hr). The food was great, some better than others. Portofino (Italian) was absolutely top notch. It was the only place that required long pants. Oceana was outdoors next to the dolphin pools. Better to go 6 PM to 7:30 PM vs. later. No waiting. Just to clarify for some people, the garden view cheapest rooms are on the 1st floor and all have patios. They are very nice. The next upgrade is either dolphin or ocean view rooms and they are on floors 2-6. Then there are the ocean or dolphin view rooms on the 7th floor. I had an ocean view and the view was second to none. Above the trees and the sunrises were beautiful. They make up the rooms sometimes 2 times a day and refill the minibar refrigerator 2 - 3 times a day. Two times for 30 minutes there was no water in the morning and I'm sure that would irritate some people but hey, roll with it. Stuff happens. The sports bar turns into a disco at 10:30 PM and it was very nice, mostly younger people. The little village is about a 10 minute walk away and has many places to go shopping, eat, drink etc. Again, pay in pesos, it's cheaper. The village will give you about 11.1 exchange rate while the hotel gave me 12.8 exchange for US dollars. Marco and Noe were excellent bartenders and ALWAYS had the biggest smile. Marylou had to be the prettiest young lady on the staff, always smiling. The whole staff was excellent, these were just a few people that stood out. While there were many children there, I didn't feel bothered at all. There is an adult only side to the resort with a pool, hot tub, and swim up bar. It was a little quieter in the afternoon but not in the evening! All in all the positives far far outweighed the occasional (one or two) negatives. Then again, I've read some of the negative comments and some people just can't be pleased. Don't drink or even brush your teeth with the tap water. Although I'm not positive, I did get sick for 2 days and the only thing I can think of was I did that two times without thinking. Bottled water only and of course, beer. I would go back there in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Had a friend stay in 132. Avoid that room. It's next to the staff entrance to the room service...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Louis N
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Louis N,

It is truly a pleasure to receive such a wonderfullt detailed review from such an avid traveller as yourself. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and our whole team, especially those staff members you took the time to personally mention, will be thrilled to know that there efforts were recognized and appreciated.

We are extremely glad to hear that you were able to enjoy so many aspects of our Unlimited Luxury such as our Preferred Club area and we truly hope that you will consider our resort once again for any future vacations. It would be an honor and a pleasure to be able to welcome you back.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We recently returned from our 4th annual anniversary trip to Dreams PA and I have to say that this stay exceeded all others! First of all let me say that I read the Trip Advisor comments and I will admit that some of them were making me nervous. I was worried that our "home away from home" had taken a downslide in the past year. NOT TRUE!! Dreams P.A. is still Paradise and our second home. While it is true as stated in previous reviews, they are doing upgrades to the hotel, We were never inconvenienced. The air conditioning was not an issue and they worked on the plumbing at night between 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM. while we were asleep. Notices were sent to each room prior to the work being done.

You will never find a better, more attentive staff anywhere and the food is extraordinary.

We always upgrade to the Ocean View as I am an early riser. I love to sit on the balcony and watch the sun rise over the water. At the end of the day we sit on the balcony and watch the fishing boats and the sail boats head for home. When the conditions are just right you can see the cruise ships at Cozumel.

We always vacation in September which is Hurricane season, so we always expect a little rain. It never rains very hard for long. This year we had more rain than ever before. None of the scheduled activities were cancelled but they were moved indoors. The Fire show was nothing less than spectacular even though it was held in the portico and lobby. The rainy day games and special coffee in the lobby were fun.The sports bar called Desires was opened before normal time so anyone could play Pool or card games.

We had a wonderful 10 days and the families I saw seemed to be enjoying their time together. Isn't that really what a vacation/ holiday is all about?

Room Tip: No room is a bad room. I like to watch the sun rise so we always upgrade to Ocean View. Well worth t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cocacolakel
Dear cocacolakel,

As always it was an absolute honor to welcome you back here with us at your 'home away from home' and we appreciate you taking the time once again to share your feedback with the tripadvisor community.

We are thrilled to hear that this stay exceeded all others and I know I speak for our entire team when I say that we are confident than on each and every future stay here with us we will do everything we can to make every stay special for you.

We can't wait to see you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had an amazing time at Dreams Aventuras. Small family with a 3 year old

- The very beginning ----- Starting communicating with Rebecca, E concierge via email asking several questions and we had everything that we wanted and more (birthday decorations compliments from concierge, and also level 5 which was a request prior to check-in)

Check-in - at around 9 PM, took us 5 minutes and the friendliest of front desk, they were all the best all the time, no wrist band to chain us, we can change big notes into smaller ones here, free wireless internet and an app of the resort helpful

Room and service- Immaculate, spacious, well organised, highest ceiling, AC, balcony with dolphin view room (cant see dolphins dancing if that's what you are expecting), wonderful decor. It over looks the adult pool which is quiet and definitely pretty, the reason why I choose dolphin view. The house keeping , evening turn down service, complimentary room service was excellent. If something in the room is not functioning to your expectation, simply call the concierge and they get it fixed (one of the lamps needed a bulb change and it was done immediately, no fuss from me or mess :), we had wireless internet connection and an app of the resort which was very helpful!

Food/Drinks- Was the best, Italian was amazing, so were the grills. There unlimited al-a cart and no reservation was required so it was easy as stepping out (Italian place required long pants for men, no Bermudas, tank tops etc), again not a big deal (its not tuxedo), no fuss no mess. We are teetotalers but that didn't keep us away from the bar for non-alcoholic drinks, chocolate shakes for my kid etc. The staff at the bar would do several rounds to re-fill your drinks and take away the old ones when you are the beach

Resort Area/Beach- Tasteful decor, it was elegant, clean and we would never be lost, never felt there was lack of place or some part was over crowded. The lobby, corridor was always spotless. We didn't use the pool much as we had the wonderful beach. it didn't have choppy waves and so it was ideal for kids, smaller tots and we loved it too. There was always a beach chair, a towel dispensing human ATM if you will so you never had to scurry to find spots or reserve them or towels, I'd really like that , to go on a relaxed pace (very idea of being in an all inclusive). The ocean trampoline was a hit too.

Activities- Among several of them we went kayaking, snorkeling, bike tours, water aerobics, catamaran, dolphin show ( pls look into the activity/entertainment board) by the family pool so that you don't miss on shows) watched a lot more but they were all interesting. I could see the kids adventure club was having a lovely time, they ended with a movie by the beach on a projector!!
Outside the resort we went to visit Citchen Itza, on a day trip with Cancun Passions for $108 or so, was a wonderful insightful trip with knowledgeable guides.

Everyone had a smile always, which rubbed on to us and the humor was flowing in almost all of the staff who were more than happy to assist zillion times a day if need be.

We used room service, wake up calls, calls to concierge with questions on hotels, there was an ATM but we didn't have to use it

I highly recommend this resort, and to have a nice time you have to let loose, and go with the flow. (It didn't rain a single day we were there and Oct was the month with highest rainfall so we were very very lucky I guess), we didn't get mosquito bites and might have seen only one or two

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors with views, near adult pool quieter Italian and seaside grill the best We t...
3 Thank Dee M
Dear Dee,

It was my personal pleasure to have been able to assist you prior to your arrival and both myself and the entire Dreams team are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed absolutely every aspect of your stay. Our guests often tell us how useful they find the reviews on Tripadvisor and a wonderfully detailed review such as yours will be particularly helpful.

It was a true pleasure to have had you and your family here with us and we sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you all back once again in the future.

Kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!