“Nice hotel with very friendly staff”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here for two days with my wife. Staff is very friendly, good restaurants pools are nice but the adults only section does not have enough beds.
The room was ok but sheets and pillows were humid at arrival, the bell boy said it was because of the sea breeze coming in, we had to work it out with turning the A/C to a lower temperature. It is a nice hotel to take your children to enjoy the beach, is very safe for kids and staff organize many activities during the day to keep your kids and yourself busy. Very nice nightly shows at the beach.

Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and the Tripadvisor Community.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future for a longer period of time where we are confident we will surpass your expectations in every aspect of your stay.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The way the hotel is set up, surrounding the main pool and hot tub, it can get loud at night. Also, the balconies are such that people can talk to each other if on adjacent or nearby balconies -- or yell, as was the case during my stay. It was an ok resort, just not great. For families, I recommend the Quetzel or Tucan. For adults only, the Iberostar Grand is the best resort in Yucatan.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sean O

Dear Sean O,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us following your recent stay here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations regarding the layout of our hotel as well as any bad impressions caused by noise levels generated by other guests during your stay.

For any future stays, may we recommend our Dolphin View rooms which face the marina side of the property and in general tend to me quieter as they look over the adults only pool.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future and change the poor perception you appear to have formed of us.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at this resort from Oct.29th to Nov. 5th. We asked about upgrading our room upon checking in and were told about the 7th floor preferred club. The guy at the front desk informed us that no children were allowed on the floor and a top shelf bar was available 24 hours a day. So we opted for the $75 a day upgrade. Little did we know it was the mans first week on the job and did not know that children were indeed allowed on this floor and the bar closed at 11pm. We had children in the room next to us that liked to wake up at 5 am every morning and scream like wild animals. There was no sound barriers in the rooms, needless to say we did not sleep in during our visit.
When they say the bar closes at 11pm it means under no circumstances they will not even serve a can of beer. We ended up going to bed early because lack of night life and adult entertainment.
We were hanging out at the "swing " bar one afternoon and got booted out for a private wedding party. I was not thrilled with this, as it was our main hangout.
The food was hit and miss. Some days it was delicious others it was plain. The Mexican restaurant was absolutely disgusting. We walked out and went to the buffet. We ordered our steak "medium" and it came out raw. We sent them back and they tasted like shoe leather when they returned.
The Italian restaurant was the best of any of them. The portion sizes were small, but it all tasted good. We had the filet.
I was not thrilled with the way they pushed their timeshares either. They want you to go have breakfast at another resort so they can sell you timeshares. They were rather pushy. Just keep saying no thanks.
The hotel was under ALOT of construction. Too much going on at once. They were pushing wheel barrows on the main floor, it was also very loud on every floor. One of the 2 elevators were out of service the entire time we were there. It made for long wait times to get to your room.
The beach was very small and in a very rocky area. They did keep the beach area very clean though.
We were bored out of our minds by day three. We would never return to this resort again. Just not enough entertainment.
P.S. Ramon the bartender was the best! Always pleasant and a big smile on his face.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Sarab7882
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Sarab7882,

First and foremost, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We are extremely sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet with your full approval. All guest feedback, both positive and negative, allows us the opportunity to improve our services.

We are very sorry for the erroneous information provided by our front desk staff member. This is definitely not in keeping with how we treat our guests and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort that may have been unintentionally caused. Please rest assured that this has been addressed with the staff member in question in order to avoid any such confusion in the future.

We apologize if you were not informed that our Desires lounge is open until 1am for guests that would like to continue socializing after the other bars have closed. We strive to create the best possible experience for our guests so it was disappointing to learn that we let you down as far as the quality of our Entertainment and Food.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion; it is very important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and achieve ultimate guest satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and change the poor perception you seem to have of us.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We had a total of 23 family members from 3 states stay from November 16th to the 23rd. We had 8 rooms on various floors and NO ONE had any problems want so ever. Everyone was very impressed by all the staff at this resort and their attention to detail. We have traveled the last 20 years either in Europe, Dominion Republic,Jamaica and many other islands and overall always have had a great experience. Overall food and service was excellent. People need to remember when traveling to other countries and keep a OPEN mine to their country life styles.There is currently renovations going on upgrading several rooms. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Douglas K

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that your entire group enjoyed their time here with us and that you were all ablt to experience the higl leves of service and quality that we are known for.

We would be honored to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I have been to a few Dreams Resorts and this one is not at the top of my list to go back to but it did have some great things about it. The beach was amazing! Especially for families with younger kids. Rooms are nice but do need some repairs and food was really good. Not as good as other Dreams I have been to but still better than most all inclusives. We were with a large group for a wedding and some people did not have great experiences with maintenance staff or housekeeping, however our room was always cleaned in the am and never had any issues that required maintenance. This resort is also in a really nice area in my opinion, it is in a gated community with some really nice lounges around if you want to get off the resort. Overall this resort is really good and just needs some updating and fixes with leaking issues in some rooms but I have been told they are working on this. I would recommend this resort with a few warnings so people knew what to expect.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AlbertaCanadiangirl

Dear AlbertaCanadiangirl,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent vacation with us here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests feedback is very valuable, and the key to allow the constant improvement in order to reach an enduring high quality level in services. All of your feedback will be shared with our executive team in order to be addressed and where possible improved.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future and we are confident that in any future stay with us we will surpass all of your expectations.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just returned from a 6-night stay, travelled as a couple with no kids. I have been to a few Secrets resorts in the past year, but this was our first stay at a Dreams resort.
Staff were truly congenial, friendly, courteous, always willing to help. I did find that with only a couple of servers, if you tipped them well there seemed to be an increased awareness of when you needed a refill, as opposed to tipping lightly or not offering them a tip (I didn't always carry cash).

Food for the most part was quite good, especially at Portofino, El Patio, Oceana & Seaside Grill. The daily buffet offered at the World Cafe was good enough for breakfast (omelette station was good!). But tried it once for lunch and dinner and some of the food was stale/hardened and/or cold from sitting out for long periods.

Pools - seemed to be well maintained, warm and clean, especially the adult only pool as we never used the open pool to avoid the kiddies. The adult side hot tub was fairly clean too, but not warm enough for my liking as I prefer it to be over 100 degrees. Gym was nice, not overly large, but had all the basic requirements in equipment to get a good cardio and weight workout in. There is no view of outdoors from the gym which is a downside, but a couple TV sets to watch.

Beach - nice beach with some sand, but some rocky beach area as well. Overall it offered a place for the kids to play, and places for the adults to get some sun & quiet rest.

Spa - I used the spa just to have a sauna & shower after workouts. The place looked to be well kept and modern, with friendly staff. I spoke to some guests who raved about the massages they had, but we didn't bother. The steam room was a serious concern as the steam was far too hot and water drips from the ceiling could easily cause burns on the skin. I immediately jumped out faster than I entered and it was like walking on hot coals on the tile floor.

Excursions - we didn't experience the many trips offered off-site. I spoke to some guests who did, such as diving, fishing or snorkelling and heard no complaints. There is an off-site Marina nearby which provided a nice area to walk, shop, eat, snack, or just wander around by the boats and shops and see the other dolphin experiences there. We walked over there a few times and enjoyed it.

Dolphins - definitely the highlight of this vacation for us! The on-site dolphins (4) are incredibly intelligent and well trained. The trainers do a wonderful job, in particular Louis & Priscilla. My g/f did the "Royal swim" twice as she loved it so much! They offer 3 tiers of interaction with the dolphins plus Manatees at varying price levels. Photos are available to purchase and although pricey, we looked at it as a one-time opportunity & bought the DVD offered.

Lounge - There is only one lounge for adults and it was a good place to gather at night and have a few laughs and meet some great people. They accommodated me in watching NHL games, although to be honest the TV's all had lines scrolling through the picture due to the satellite feed I presume. They only had 2 servers at night when the place was rocking and this caused delays in getting drinks. Definitely need more staff on duty during busy times. By contrast there were 3 staff working the far less busy coffee shop until 11 p.m. and one of them could have been working in the lounge instead?!

Preferred club lounge - on the 7th floor (top) which was undergoing some room renovations due to recent rains which caused some leaks. The lounge is the smallest I have seen to date at any AMResort properties. This could be improved upon in terms of size, food provided, and the bar area, although Miguel did all he could to ensure that his patrons were happy with their drinks!

Overall I gave it a rating of very good. I might have rated it as average but the dolphin experience and the friendliness of the staff pushed it up a little higher for me. I had read some purely negative reviews on here before and after now being there myself, I can only ponder that you just can't please everyone, alluding to the bad reviews. It can improve in some areas, and to me it seems like the staff have a genuine concern to make those improvements going forward.

Would we return to this resort? Yes, and the dolphin experience is certainly a big part of the reason why. However as a mature couple with no young children, I am inclined to visit some of the other Secrets or Breathless resorts first.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the dolphin lagoon nearest to the marina side. The room h...
2  Thank Robert C
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Robert C,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and the Tripadvisor community regarding your recent vacation here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests feedback is very valuable, and the key to allow the constant improvement in order to reach an enduring high quality level in services. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our new dolphinarium, it truly is a unique experience and we love the photos you shared with your review!

We would be honored to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Having never been to This Dreams Resort before and our trip being last minute I wasn't expecting too much, was really surprised at how much we did like it. I would have said Loved it if it weren't for the problems we had, First Request was king size bed s/b no problem but it was,so were placed in a rm on the 1st flr rm 141 with 2 beds, patio can not go out water all over it and no chairs our rm would be changed next day no problem we are now in rm 535 w king size bed GREAT until we come back from beach and find water in rm with my shoes floating in it and some of my clothes. Call for help and after many apologies they take shoes and wet clothing and promise to have them taken care of which they do and move us to rm 556 which is Oceanfront and very lg rm very comfortable also send champagne and choc covered strawberries which was a nice gesture, Then water again in bathroom which was from Toilet leaking call maintenance come quickly after numerous calls for 3 days problem was never fixed they promised it would be next day which is when we left, We had to put towels and rugs under the leak I didn't understand why it wasn't fixed the first time. Then on last morning there, very early in the morning I am on my way to the elevator and the hallway looks like a river water flowing down it rm 541 which was empty had water pouring out of it few of the rms close by had water called my husband and told him to be careful coming down that hallway. Someone I met fell before anyone noticed it thankfully she was ok. I would have given this resort an excellent review but evidently they have water and maintenance problems. Here are the things that were Excellent: Food the best I ever had at an AI Better than El Dorado Royale and Secrets Capri And Much better than Dreams Villa Magna in Nuevo Vallarta. Portofino we ate there 4 x. Oceana was Great ate there 2x, El Patio Mexican was beautiful but we are not great fans of Mexican and had a steak did not care for it . Lunch was great at Seaside Grille ate there every day and loved the buffet on the beach one day thought it was Excellent!! Service was Excellent!! Drinks were Great!! Always served ice cold and with a smile.A Thank You to Neo Javi and Willy the waiters on the beach!! Maids left rm clean and had an animal every day on bed made out of towels, Beach: Wonderful never went to the pools loved the beach plenty of sun and plenty of Palapas for shade. Spa had a massage it was such a relaxing experience. Mercedes Thank You!! Tips We always tip everyone even though it is included they go out of their way to make you happy so we do give them a little extra. What else can I say I would have given this resort an Excellent rating but the maintenance and water problems were a big problem and I do not need any stress while on vacation I have it on my normal every day life. In spite of the problems we did have a wonderful Stay and I don't know if I would return Would have to be a really good deal to get me back here again.

Room Tip: Even if you pay for ocean view make sure you get 5th floor or above!!! I would not pay for an upgrad...

Dear Butsey,

We truly appreciate your taking the time to write and share such a wonderfully detailed review following you recent stay here with us at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in every aspect of your stay here with us. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the pertinent departments in order to be addressed and where possible improved. As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests feedback is very valuable, and the key to allow the constant improvement in order to reach an enduring high quality level in services. We are presently experiencing a few difficulties with the water pipe system that is presently being corrected with a .5 million USD investment due to the high volume of calcium that is encountered with our water. The first steps have been stared as the calcium deposits have been addressed however our head engineer remains working very hard on the plans to repair all pipes. We apologize that this interfered with your stay.

All of your feedback will be shared with our operations team, especially with the staff members you took the time to personally mention. They will be particularly pleased to know that they were able to assist you during your time here with us.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the future and we are confident that on any future stay we will exceed all of your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Reso...
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!