5,450 results
All reviews seaside grill world cafe el patio adult pool family pool dreams pa barracuda bar sushi restaurant preferred club explorers club natural pool dolphin view coco cafe marina side water show fish tacos kids club
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent a week here near the end of October 2013. Check-in and check-out weren't very efficient; we wound up waiting an extra 2 hours to check-in, even though we arrived two hours BEFORE the check-in time. We waited on the beach with our luggage, not too bad. The lobby is definitely a downer, given that there is no real lounge area except some cushions on a platform in the middle. Also, no bar in the lobby either. Vehicles (buses, taxis) were left idling at the drop-off location bedside the lobby and that tends to stink-up the area, depending on the wind direction.

The room itself was pretty good with regards to comfort; bed was fine, bathroom was roomy, climate control was good (had to turn off the A/C sometimes, too cold). However, the noise level coming from the adjacent room and corridor was very apparent; I slept with ear plugs.
The staff were quite friendly and with regards to drinks, my proverbial cup runneth (ranneth?) over. The food and various restaurants were quite good; we thoroughly enjoyed the sushi, and we had the surf and turf special (extra $$$) at the Mexican restaurant and that was great. The filet mignon was awesome.

The dive shop was pretty decent (Pro Dive Mexico), but we were disappointed with their t-shirt stock (none). We left our dive gear at the shop and nothing was stolen or lost. Local dives consisted of gearing up at the shop and then taking a short (5 minutes max) walk to the nearby marina. The cenotes dives were amazing; not to be missed if you're a diver in Riviera Maya.

One thing that disappointed me considerably was that I had taken the time to write out four postcards to be mailed to my kids and parents; I bought the cards and stamps at the gift shop of the hotel. When asked where should I drop them off, I was told to give them to the "concierge" who would make sure that they get delivered; two months later, still no cards. I should've taken pictures of them. It's all in the details...

Room Tip: The quieter side of the hotel is the dolphin pool side; beautiful sunsets too.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ScubaZone
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear ScubaZone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on Tripadvisor regarding your recent vacation with us. We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our executive team including our front desk manager in order to be address. We are sorry that our lobby bar areas where not clearly indicated to you as we have both our Desires Lounge and Coco Cafe located in that immediate area. Our head chef will be particularly pleased to read such positive comments regarding your culinary experience.

We do ask that you take into consideration that the Mexican postal system is not as efficient as most people are accustomed to and many guests find that it takes several months for postcards to reach their destination. We ensure to mail all postcards given to us several times a week directly at the local post office. We are sorry for any bad impressions this may have caused and we are extremely concerned that this damped your view of us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again in the future where we are confident that we will surpass your expectations in all aspects.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

As an experienced traveler and on my fifth visit to Mexico, I thought I would try the "Dreams," Experience. It turned out to be more of a NIGHTMARE!

I had booked a 6th floor Dolphin View suite for a fortnight, starting on Dec 3rd--for 14 nights.

After I had booked it, in April 2013, I was a bit disappointed by some of the reviews on TripAdvisor.
They mentioned noise, and musty smelling rooms; particularly on the lower floors.
They also recommended being on at least the 6th floor, if you had a Dolphin view room; otherwise , due to the palms, you would see nothing. I therefor specified; and confirmed, with my travel agent, a 6th floor room.

After a delayed 13 hr flight, and a real hassle at the airport, trying to find our private transfer; I was extremely dismayed not to get the room I had booked.

Reception was fairly chaotic, and our receptionist, had poor grasp of English.
Apparently the hotel was full. and they would try to move us the following day.

Speaking to other people, later, almost no-one got the room they had booked, on arrival. Most had to move at least once during their stay, many, twice. This room switching is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

It appears that, "He who complains loudest--and longest--gets the best room."
Hardly a very fair or ethical way to run a Hotel!!

We were allocated room 359; it was HORRENDOUS!! avoid it like the plague.
It smelled incredibly moldy, and almost nothing in it worked!!
The toilet wouldn't flush, neither of the sinks had a hot water supply, one had no plug and the shower was broken. The mirror was so tarnished, I could not see my face in it; probably just as well, as I was not a happy bunny.

Outside was a small, corner, narrow balcony, half the size of the ones on either side, with virtually no view, due to the high trees and bushes--you certainly couldn't see the Dolphin--or Adult's swimming pool from it!
The balcony furniture was old and broken, definitely not somewhere you would want to spend any time!!

The whole room was in need of a major refurbishment.
We were so tired and fed up--we just went to bed ; without unpacking or eating.
The next morning we were woken very early with the noise of hammering and Banging!
THE HOTEL WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A MAJOR REFURBISHMENT.

About eight rooms on each floor were being done simultaneously.
Normally if a hotel is having major ongoing work done, all the clients are informed in advance, and offered an alternative or allowed to cancel. Of all the many guests I spoke to, none had been informed.
Trying to get round the hotel was very difficult, of the 14 nights we were there, one of the two guest lifts was out of action for a total of 11 days, the other broke down at least twice, and the service lift--which the guests were forced to use, also broke down several times.

On the second day, after reception had tried on five occasions to move us to an inferior 2nd floor room, we finally got our 6th floor Dolphin view room, hardly 5* star luxury but at least infinitely better than room 359.

Even so the room fridge did not work, and later in the week, about 30 0f them on our floor--were replaced.

My partner and I both ate at the Seaside grill for lunch the first day, and had seafood. We both became ill within hours, my food poisoning, cleared up within a couple of days, but my partner became very ill, and after several days required medical intervention. The hotel, reluctantly paid for the Doctor, ( many of the hotel guests were experiencing sickness and diarrhea,) but we had to pay the $145 cost of the drugs.
So unfortunately, my partner lost the first week of our holiday.

The management did try hard to make sure the rest of our restaurant experiences were better, but in our second week, at the Restaurant round the Adult's only pool, ( the only child free restaurant !) he was served, Mahi, a local fish--which was completely raw in the middle. By the time this was replaced--my meal was long since finished. Another meal ruined!

We found much of the buffet food, cold, even when it was brought straight from the kitchen. Frequently the hot plates underneath the food trays, were not on. They also poured new food, on top of the old, very poor hygiene practice; as the food underneath can be on display for long periods of time!

In the end it was not ," the Gourmet, Dining Experience," we had been led to expect from the Webb page--and Brochure.
We tried. always to have fresh food; cooked in front of us!

The whole Hotel was absolutely full of American Children.They were badly behaved, noisy, ill-disciplined; and on such a small site; very difficult to get away from.

As a water sports enthusiast, I was very disappointed!! Two very old, battered catamarans, only available, infrequently; weather and staff--permitting; and one totally knackered windsurfer--with an even older, patched sail.

Conditions were far from ideal, the reef is very far in, the beach very narrow, and no separate lane for the boats, so avoiding swimmers--was very difficult, The light, prevailing on-shore winds--made getting out--over the reef--even more hazardous!!

I went on several trips, and was very disappointed, they were expensive and poor value. Often four hours a day were spent picking up and returning guests--to other Hotels.
Overall, Dreams, is not an experience to be recommended--unless you are an American--with three or more children--and you can get free child places.

The only redeeming thing, was the politeness and helpfulness-within their remit, of many of the members of staff.

Room Tip: To get any kind of View, Ocean is better, or Dolphin, you must be on at least level 6. Below this, the height of the Palm trees totally restricts the view. Do not go here if you do not have children. Check for building work before booking. The Mexican Restaurant, Italian, outside, And The Fish restaurant, next to the Adult's only pool, have a nice ambiance. Beware of Time -share touts, as you arrive at Cancun Airport. Many of them masquerade as private Transfer Firms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lindajane61
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear lindajane61,

First and foremost, we would like to apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your stay here with us. We would like to contest your claim that you had booked a room on the 6th floor of our property as all guests prior to arrival are informed that room location requests are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. Our Dolphin View rooms are located on floors 2 through 6 of our property.

It is unfortunate that one of our elevators was undergoing maintenance during your stay here with us however we have two additional elevators available exclusively for guest use. We are sorry if this was not made clear to you.

We are sorry that you felt so strongly about the nationality of the other guests here at the resort during your stay. We welcome guests from all over the world and offer the same Unlimited Luxury experience to all.

We are constantly striving to achieve perfection in all areas of our resort and for this reason you will see our staff repairing, improving or in the case of your photos replacing items throughout the resort. We apologize that you felt this caused a bad impression of our resort as this was by no means our intention. As this time there is no major contruction work being completed at our resort.

We are able to ensure that during the time frame of your stay here with us, no reports were filed with our concierge team by other guests in regards to illnesses. We would also like to mention that we ensure The CRISTAL Food Safety System which assists hotels in producing safe and hygienic food for consumption by guests. The Cristal system is based on the recognized method of hygiene management as known as HACCP, which was first developed to ensure completely safe food operations in the early NASA space programs.

You may understand that when it comes to food, taste and perception are involved and it is always difficult to get a 100% of satisfaction, but this does not stop us from continuously looking for ways to improve. We can guarantee you that we will continue challenging ourselves so our guests enjoy our food and all of our guests' feedback is precious for this continuous process. We can ensure that immediate attention is provided to guests that may appear to have any kind of discomfort or special requirements.

Once again, we apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your stay here with us.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have to tell you, I read the reviews and I was a little nervous when I went there. My brother and sister-in-law shared the same thoughts on the van ride to the hotel as we all discussed the tripadvisor and yelp reviews. We were all nervous.
I have to say I am writing this because I need to set the record straight. Yes, the beach is small and the basin is mainly a huge wading pool with fish, but it is a very quaint area and easy for a large crowd to find a spot. Yes, there are lots of kids, but they are mostly confinded to the pool. If your main is to sit on the beach, ther is plenty of summer and some nice water to wade in. Not many "kids" hanging on the beach.
No all of the chairs are not covered in bird crap. There are some broken chairs so you need to navigate through but for the most part they are all clean each morning and lined up nice. No need to reserve s spot. Plenty of room and many different views. A volleyball court is on thebeach and ther is some room to throw around a football and a frisbee. Not great snorkling of the beach but there are fish and its not too deep so anyone can do it. There is a trampoline in the water for the kids. There is kayaking (no backs to the kayaks so hard to go far with them) and scuba. Lessons too.
Adult pool had too few chairs as it got busy late in the day. Plus is that itis right next to the dolphin adventure so you can walk over and see the many families taking their turns.
Great bartenders at the swin up bar. Nice level of alcohol although not "top shelf". They keep you weel lubricated. Some nice local tequilas.
I was with a large group so we had a hard time eating all together. We were accommodated most nights with 2 large tables. Started each night at Gohan for sushi and drinks. Sushi is good. Sashimi is also good. Shrimp Salad very good. Domingo was a great bartender. Keep the dirty martinis coming.
We then ended up eating later at one of the restaurants. Not many families out late so it was easy to get a table. Portofino was very good as we ate there 3 times. The pasta dishes are a noce appetizer and the filet and salmon main courses were very good. The soup is advertised though as gluten free (as are items on all menus throughout the various restaurants) however it had croutons and pasta.
Most of the review we read going in said the breakfast was bad. Not really sure where that can come from. Eggs made any way you want, plus many buffet choices. Fresh fruit and pastries. Fresh squeezed orange juice. A person making fresh crepes (banana, peanut butter and granola - yum) and fresh made smoothies. Every morning we saidn to each other "What were those people talking about with regard to breakfast..."
Fresh burgers grilled throighout the afternoon. Drinks on the beach to your hearts content. Water galore.
Rooms were OK. My kids did not have furniture on thrie balcony and despite daily inquires, it took six days before they got some. Never sure why. Our toilet was basically broken for the first 2 days but whenit finally broke they fixed it pronto. Nice walk in showers.
Overall I think this is a great place for families. Compact so you are close by no matter what you want to do and there is plenty beach and pool stuff to do. Good for groups with older people as well. Not much walking from place to place.
If i had to make one criticism it would be ther beyond lounge chairs, there are no other chairs to sit on at the pool or the beach. It is a family place yet no play tables anywhere to play a board game or even a game of Uno. We had to take a table out of Oceana to play some board games. Plus with older people in out group, non-lounge chairs would have been nice to have to sit one.

9  Thank jbeck1954
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear jbeck1954,

First and foremost, we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and the tripadvisor community following you recent stay here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

We truly apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay. Please rest assured that all of your comments will be shared with our team so that they can be addressed where necessary. Our head chef will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. He always claims that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

It would be an honor to be able to welcome you all back once again in the near future and we hope to have the privilege of being able to do so.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

First of all I would like to say this resort was amazing for our family of 5. It was our first family vacation with all 3 kids 7, 4, and 21mths. We stayed 15 nights from Dec .7-Dec.22. We picked the resort knowing that it was small and more intimate. We have been to two other resorts in the Mayan Riviera that you would have to take trolleys because they are so big.

Room- We had a family room on the garden side 1st floor. Our room had 2 double beds, a pull out sofa and we requested a playpen. We didn't mind being on the first floor. My only complaint is that our room faced the adult only pool so I never wanted my kids to play out on the patio because they were loud. Room was always clean and we never had a musky smell that some people had. I found the air conditioning almost too cold so we would just turn it off once and awhile. We had one problem with our shower with the water coming up the drain in our washroom. We called and it was immediately cleaned up and maintenance came to fix it and it never happened again. The shower head was amazing super strong.

Pool- The family pool side was lots of fun with many activities. You step of the deck of the poolside and you are on the beach. They had a family hot tub which was quite big. It was not hot but warmer than the pool so it was nice for the younger kids who get chilly in the big pool. My kids spent lots of time in it.

Dining- I must admit I am a picky eater. I enjoyed the buffet for breakfast, so many options to choice from, I had an omelet made every morning. I did not enjoy the buffet so much for lunch and supper. I never went hungry though. I have been spoiled with some resorts so I knew that my expectations were really high. A couple employees that would serve us often were Carlos and Mario 1 and Mario 2. The kids loved seeing them. We ate most of our lunches from the seaside grill or the barefoot grill. The fish tacos, wings and burgers were really good. It was great that we could order fries and ice cream for the kids from the seaside grill and the kids could eat poolside. After 14 days Sylvia the hostess from the seaside grill still had a huge smile on her face when she saw our kids coming for more fries and ice-cream.
I enjoyed that you never had to stress about making a reservation at a restaurant. I enjoyed Gohan the most, the sushi place. I think I ate there 3 times. We also ate at the Italian and the mexican and had good meals. The service at the restaurants was always excellent. Room service was a great option when we needed it. We usually just used it for afternoon snack or dinner. It is available 24hrs. Coco Cafe was a nice place to grab a coffee and snack.

Kids Club- What an amazing program they have. The kids club ran from about 10:00am -10pm at night with a break around 4:30-5 for the kids to get showered and ready for dinner. These women were amazing!! I hope I have them all- Ceidi, Sara, Gabriela, Cristal, Karina, Martha. They had crafts, games on the beach, games at the pool, cake decorating on the beach, and so much more. They would take the kids for lunch, dinner, movies on the beach, campfire on the beach. My 7 year old only went a couple times because she is shy but my 4 year old loved to go for a couple hrs almost everyday. It was a nice break for us. I felt extremely comfortable leaving my children with these ladies!!

Entertainment- I did not make all of the shows at night but the ones I did see I thought were really good. i like how they hired people to come in to perform.

Staff- The staff was amazing!! Always such great service. I have been to 6 different resorts and I can't remember a greater group of people!! Some of our favourites were the bartenders at the family pool Benjamin, Richard, Aldaberto, Charlie (I pretty sure Charlie worked everywhere), Noe. The ladies at The Explorers Club as mentioned. They were all so great with our children. Many of these staff members probably work 12-16 hr days. Everyone was so hard working!

Dolphin Encounter- We took our 7 year old and she loved it. She was free with an adult. Make sure you get that deal because we had 1 person say not free and some would tell us free. So of course we want to get her free.

If you are travelling with young children and you want a small resort it is perfect.

5  Thank hazelborn

Dear hazelborn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share such a wonderfully detailed review followin your recent stay here with us.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to experience and enjoy so many different aspects of the Unlimited Luxury that we have to offer.

Please rest assured that all of your comments, both positive and constructive, will be shared with our entire team in order to be addressed and where necessary improved.

The ladies in the Explorers Club will be thrilled to hear that you children enjoyed spending time with them and were able to participate in the many activities that they have to offer.

We truly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Pros: The service in the hotel was excellent. All the staff was very helpful. They really cared so that we can have a comfortable vacation. We are vegetarian and the manager in World Cafe made sure that we get good vegetarian food. He personally went to chef to prepare food for us. It was very nice of him. The location of the hotel is also very good. They had lot of activities which kept us busy all the time. There is free kayaking, boating, biking, beach side table tennis, volley ball, and all good stuff.
Our rooms were cleaned 2 x day which was really good but they did not clean the floor. The rooms are very spacious.
Cons: There were molds and flies in the bathroom. The bed sheets and pillows had a typical smell which was getting intolerable by the end of the trip. The hallways were too noisy especially being on 1st floor. We had 4 rooms booked together but they gave us far from each other which was not at all convenient for us. The phones in the rooms were not working even after complaining couple times at the reception.

Room Tip: Do not take room on 1st floor. It is too noisy. It rained one night and all the water from the floors above was falling in our balcony area which was so noisy that we couldn't sleep that night. Too much noise of carts passing by on first floor.
3  Thank KSP48104
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, Social Media Coordinator at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear KSP48104,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share you review with us and the Tripadvisor community.

We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in every aspect of your stay here with us. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the pertinent departments in order to be addressed and where possible improved.

We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the food offered and the location of our resort.

Once again we are extremely grateful for your time and preference and please feel free to contact us directly prior to your next visit so that we are able to our very best to fulfill your requirements and demonstrate the type of high quality services we uphold here at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.