“Great Service but Average Facilities, Beach, and Food”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Houston, Texas
“Great Service but Average Facilities, Beach, and Food”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at Dreams Puerto Aventuras for 6 nights. The service was fabulous but the rooms and the overall facility needs a facelift. I also would not call this a "resort" because it appears that the locals use it as their neighborhood swimming pool. There is more exclusiveness with a Holiday Inn. Internet/Wi-fi access is extremely slow. And, they need to hire a chef to come up with more creative dishes. Also, when it rains (like it did for 3 days out of the 6 I was there) there needs to be somewhere on the property to go besides the lobby or the bar that was closed. If you are use to staying in Cancun and walking for miles on the beach. That will not happen here. If you want to do shopping then you will need to arrange for a 30 minute ride to Playa Del Carmen. btw, be prepared for a drive from the airport to the Dreams. I also got VERY tired of the Dreams folks trying to convince us to go to the Jewelry Factory. It is an hour stop at the Jewelry Factory with a sales pitch. I mean really....most resorts I've stayed at don't do this to their customers. The AC vents need to be cleaned. They were very dirty. If you have kids then you might enjoy this place... I will say the entertainment at night was fantastic. The magic and comedians were great. I loved the drummers and fire dancers and the best was the male dance group. They dance to modern music and were extremely talented. The dance group that does more traditional dance needs more practice and different music though. Their performance was too long and many people in the audience were yawning. (even saw some people sleeping).

Too many other places I want to see so I doubt I will not go back to this place. I would only go to to say hi to the fabulous staff.

Room Tip: The first and second floors near the lobby were VERY noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all the Tripadvisor community.

We apologize for not exceed your expectations during your stay. As for the internet connection inconveniences experiences throughout your stay, we recently launched our Unlimited Connectivity program allowing guests to have complementary internet access throughout their stay and would like to make sure that every detail is looked into in order to ensure a better service.

Regarding the Chef, We are pleased to announce the arrival of our new Executive Chef whom has taken all comments into consideration in order to develop the variety and quality offered within our many restaurants as well as our in room dining. We have ensured to address the comments regarding the creativeness of the dishes.

Is great to know you enjoyed all the night shows. Rest assure all your comments have been shared and we're working to improve our services for future stays.

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family (wife, 16-month old son, and in-laws) just returned from a 7 day stay at the resort. This was my first all-inclusive resort although my in-laws have been to many. My previous Mexico experiences have been during cruises. These are my thoughts....

1. The Resort - I thought that the facility was nice enough although my in-laws seemed somewhat disappointed due to their previous experiences. Their primary complaint was how small the resort was. I did not see this as necessarily a negative factor. The resort is similar in design to an ocean hotel with an airy open concept. The front side of the resort borders a man-made lagoon which harbors the dolphin experience. The back of the resort faces the ocean and has the main pool and most of the restaurants. There is also a side that has an adult only section with a separate pool, Jacuzzi, and bar. The Oceana/seafood restaurant is also located in the adult section but children can use it on Wed and Sat. The beach area is rather small.

We did have the opportunity to see a sister resort - the Dreams Tulum which was newer, larger, and overall appeared nicer. We were told that the Dreams is a growing resort chain but the Peurto Aventuras was the first and oldest.

2. Location - I did not realize prior to going that the resort was located roughly an hour south of the airport. This required transportation which was somewhat more expensive than a closer resort would have been. We paid $205 USD for a van to transport my family roundtrip. We did not prebook but found the airport was filled with different vendors happy to provide this service. The resort uses Amstar which they are affiliated with and have a representative in the lobby of the hotel.

The hotel is located in a gated community which contains many condos and timeshares and an interconnecting web of waterfront channels with docks, stores, shops, and restaurants. The resort is at the very back of this community but one can easily walk throughout the community without a need for transportation.

The remote location made it such that you need a taxi to travel off site.

3. Accommodations - The rooms were nice with the usual amenities. The bathrooms had walk in showers without tubs. The floors of the room were tiled which made for a slipping hazard with young children. The back patio was nice and contained a hammock. We had rooms overlooking the adult section on the ground floor. They called these "garden rooms". The first night we were given a room which developed a substantial water leak from the ceiling. The staff were very accommodating and reassigned our room the next day.

4. Service - this to me was the highlight of the resort. The staff were all extremely nice and provided great service. If you asked for something special every attempt was made to accommodate your needs. Most spoke English well enough although some could not.

5. Restaurants - There are several restaurants in your "all inclusive" package including a seafood, italian, mexican, world cafe buffet, sushi, and an outside covered terrace that served a sit-down cuisine. All drinks (alcoholic and otherwise) and food were covered as all inclusive. There were also several bars scattered throughout the resort and a coffee shop. We ate at each of these except the sushi bar as we were told that a waiver was first required due to the raw fish. We were all happy with the food and service. Some of the restaurants seemed to have the same menus each day.

6. Activities/Weather - It rained the first few days of our trip. You could swim in the pools and ocean in the rain but all of the water sports (jet ski, catamarans, kayaks, etc) were not allowed due to the weather. Each day had a list of scheduled activities (classes, water aerobics, etc) and there were alternative activities for rain days. Each night there was a show. I found these shows to be hit or miss with some being quite good and others mediocre. Some days for lunch or dinner the staff would make a large meal and have activities on the beach. Our last night they did a large Caribbean buffet on the beach with a show that followed. This experience was very nice.

7. Extras - We took advantage of the Spa which was associated with extra fees. The spa facilities were simple but nice. My wife and I also did the "romantic dinner" where the staff prepared a multi course dinner of your choosing on the beach. The dinner was very good although I am not sure that it was worth the $250 USD price. You are given coupons at check in that can be used for activities such as the spa, romantic dinner, etc. They range in discount.

8. Illness - My wife and I both developed traveler's related illnesses while at the resort. This is almost certainly associated with contaminated food although we both drank only bottled water and tried to avoid uncooked food. There is a doctor's office onsite which claims 24/7 availability although this was not used. There is also a pharmacy in the community.

9. Traveling with a toddler - we took a carseat with us although most of the taxis did not have an easy way to install (no LATCH system). The hotel also had a carseat which could be loaned. The resort made every attempt to accommodate families and there were many younger children.

10. Excursions - There were several that were advertised but we did not participate. All required extra fees. The resort also has a dolphin experience that can be purchased where you swim or kayak with the dolphins.

11. Summary: Overall I enjoyed my time at the resort and would stay at this or another Dreams resort again. The poor weather and illness were the worst part of the trip and only the latter may have been associated with the actual resort. The staff, service, and food were great. Next time I will probably pick a resort closer to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jorbor
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Dreams Puerto Aventuras with all the Tripadvisor community.

We truly appreciate every comment and feedback gave to us. It's great to know you enjoyed all the services we offer and had a great time. We would like to highlight your comment regarding your sickness. We here at Dreams ensure The CRISTAL Food Safety System which assists hotels in producing safe and hygienic food for consumption by guests. The Cristal system is based on the recognized method of hygiene management as known as HACCP. Today this process is recommended by the World Health Organization and Governments worldwide to ensure safe food and beverage hygiene.

Thank you once again and hope to have the opportunity to welcome back again here at your home away from home.

Lichfield
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hotel set in a gated community - about an hour's drive from Cancun airport.

We booked a dolphin delux room as children wanted to watch the dolphins. The rooms on the dolphin side of the hotel overlook the adult section of the hotel and are therefore far quieter than rooms overlooking the family side (also sea view rooms). Most of the evening entertainment takes place on the family/sea side of the hotel. Our room overlooked the dolphin and marina with the added bonus of the sea view going out of the marina. View was not obstructed by trees (5th floor)

Room service was an absolute God send. Many of the excusions leave the hotel at 7.20am which did not leave time for breakfast. The ability of being able to arrange a wake up call and room service to be delivered before we left was fantastic.

Rooms were clean and spacious. Air conditioning worked well and was effective. Fantastic rain shower in the bathroom.

Safe in room was part of the package - set your own code on locking.

Mini bar was sparse but sufficient - 4 beers, soft drinks, and water. Replenished daily,

Food at the hotel was above normal all inclusive standard. The buffet restaurant is as you would expect with a wide variety of choice - both hot and cold. The other speciality restaurants provided very nice food.

Staff were extremely courteous throughout the hotel and all kee to ensure everybody was happy. On site coffee shop serving frappucinos, lattes etc is more than enough to keep coffee buffs happy,

Drinks all brand name and all staff happy to oblige.

Entertainment is there if you want it, but thankfully not in your face if you don't want it!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider other Dreams resorts on the basis of our stay here,

Room Tip: As has been said before - go for a higher room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dreams Puerto Aventuras for your recent visit to Mexico. I was pleased to read your glowing review and you would visit us again.

I am also pleased to hear your family had a chance to experience all the services and facilities we offer.

Again, thank you once again. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a near future.

Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel and staff were lovely. Then we went outside. The only pool for kids was packed with locals (they let them in on "day" passes), there was no place to sit or lie down in the sun, and the beach had garbage on it from the day full of swimmers. The beach is also very small as it is in an enclave type of setting. Had the pool and beach been limited to hotel guests, it may have been tolerable. The pool was actually closed one day because one of the locals pooped in the pool. The adult pool was lovely, but when you come with kids, you can't really take advantage of this pool. I complained numerous times to hotel staff and their response was that it was August and you have to expect that the pool would be full. Will never again go to this resort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jmegm
Dear guest,

First of all we appreciate you took the time and shared your experience you had at the resort. We apologize for not meeting your expectations while staying with us and for having inconvenience with the pool. Please, have in mind August is high season and most of the hotel has a high occupancy.

We'll share your comments with the involved staff in order to improve the service for any future stay.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Rooms were dated and the mold kept my family popping the allergy pills all week. Hallways were flooded due to plumbing issues too. Thankfully we spent very little time in our room. Food choices were decent, but two of the five of us had food poisoning. Entertainment was the worst of any all-inclusive we have been to, but the entertainment staff was very friendly and worked very hard to get everyone involved. Location was convenient and we enjoyed being able to walk to shops and see the dolphins. Adult pool was not well maintained. We felt very bad for the staff after seeing so many guests yelling at them for the quality and issues at the resort. It was obvious how hard they worked and they were very kind - one of the few reasons we didn't change resorts day one.

• Stayed July 2013
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your recent stay. On behalf of the resort and spa, we want to sincere apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. our observations has been addressed to the involved department to improve our service in all ways possible.

We truly hope to have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our resort.

Cordially yours,

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our family stayed at the Dreams Puerto Aventuras resort from 5/31 to 6/4. We had booked the reservation through 6/5 but decided to leave one day early because of our experience. This had been our fourth stay at a Dreams property. The most recent before this visit was Dreams Cancun in September of 2013. You can read my other reviews for them here on Tripadvisor as well. Our expectations were high because we have always been impressed by the service and the good condition of the properties. Our experience left much to be desired and leaves us wondering if that was our last stay at one of their resorts.

We arrived around 12:30 pm and I did not expect our room to be ready as check-in is not until 3:00 pm. The lobby area was rather small and packed with several dozen people waiting to be checked in or out of their rooms. I was surprised there wasn't a person handing out the cold, scented hand towels or chilled champagne like we had be accustomed to upon arriving at a Dreams resort. First impressions are important and we all noticed this immediately. We waited in line for approximately fifteen minutes before having someone from the Front Desk staff begin the check-in process. After filling out the required paperwork we were told our room wasn't ready which is what I expected to hear given our early arrival. We went to the World Cafe to eat lunch and shortly after returning I went back to the front desk and was told the room was ready.

We booked a Garden View room and got one on the first floor overlooking the adult pool area and Oceana. Upon walking into the room we immediately noticed the strong odor of mold. The air conditioning was not producing cold air and the sink had several cracks in it that had been patched up. The whole room just looked very aged and not well maintained. The room was adjacent to an elevator which was heavily used and we could hear all the servers loading carts in and out of it. It was so loud it sounded like they were rolling them right through our room. Then we did something that we have never had to do in over ten years of staying at an all-inclusive; We requested a new room. Diane and Maritza at the front desk were very accommodating and gave us a new room on the other side of the old one.

The condition of the new room was just as bad as the first but the air conditioning worked and we wanted to get out on the beach so we stayed there for the rest of the trip. These rooms need some major refurbishment and I still don't understand why they have desks in the rooms but no chairs to sit in. I would suggest avoiding the first floor if you can as the rooms are poorly insulated and you can not only hear people directly above your room but also people walking through the hallways on the 2nd floor. These hallways were like echo chambers and we would routinely here people singing, whistling, yelling, etc at all hours of the night. Speaking of disturbances, expect to be woken up nightly when the fire alarm goes off. I was told by a staff member this happens when someone is smoking in their room and the alarm goes off for the entire resort not just that one room. I think they should make an announcement acknowledging the person responsible for making it go off so the other guests can personally thank them for the wake up at 3:00 am.

The food at the restaurants was not as good as it has been in the past but the service was outstanding. Wold Cafe is the buffet that is open for all three meals. The selection of food was fair but not as good as it usually is and we found most of the dishes to be rather bland. Seaside grill was good for lunch but we never went for dinner. Our favorite was the sushi at Gohan but due to its outdoor location it was closed two of the four nights because of heavy rain. I highly recommend trying the banana rolls here and Miguel did an excellent job as our waiter. Oceana is the adults only seafood restaurant and was also quite good . Even when we showed up around 7:30 pm we only had to wait ten minutes to get a table here. El Patio was open for lunch and dinner although we never got to have dinner there due to closures for weddings. One thing that really bothered us was that almost every night one of the a la carte restaurants would be closed for a wedding party. The problem that I have with this is that we paid for our visit just like everyone else but were denied a service to accommodate a special event. There really should be a special facility here for weddings, conferences, etc rather than impacting your other guests' experience.

The beach was a huge disappointment here and I should have believed more of the critical reviews on this property that warned how small it is. If you like to stick to the swimming pools no worries but if you are like us and the beach is more important than you need to look elsewhere. It is extremely small and when the resort is near capacity you won't have much room to swim around because it it basically a small lagoon surrounded by large clusters of sharp rocks. As others have said you need to have a pair of pool shoes or you will cut up your feet if you go beyond waist-deep water. Getting chairs with a palapa was no problem though and the beach drink service is another signature Dreams perk that we love. Juan made sure we did not go thirsty – frequently checking in with us to make sure our blood alcohol levels didn't get too low! There is also a small beach area to the right of El Patio and the beach bar that has a large rock pool full of fish. We preferred to hang out near here because it was a bit quieter, although at times families with small children would come around so they could see the fish. Remember that this is a family resort and there were lots of kids here but they seemed to be well behaved and under control during our visit.

As I mentioned previously the most positive aspect of this resort was the staff. There was a tropical depression during the first three days of our visit that caused substantial rainfall. The entertainment staff did a great job providing various activities and extra snacks. Unfortunately the condition of the property itself makes it difficult for me to recommend it to anyone at the current per person room rates. We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts over the years and I would probably give Dreams Puerto Aventuras three and a half stars. If they put some work into improving the condition of the rooms I think it would be worthy of four. In its current state I personally would not return here.

Room Tip: Stay away from the garden view rooms near the lobby as there is lots of noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cherokeecruiser
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your overview on your stay with us. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we welcome both positive and constructive comments.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations with your room and general services. We take every comment and feedback very serious, please, rest assure we have shared them with all the staff in order to improve for any future guest.

Once again, we truly apologize for any bad impressions caused and we sincerely hope that you give us one more opportunity to redeem your perception of our hotel in a future.

Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights for our honeymoon and it was INCREDIBLE. The rooms/resort were very clean and the staff was extremely helpful and super nice. Our room was very spacious and clean and we really enjoyed the attached deck. The food was great and we enjoyed every restaurant as well as the room service, which was perfect when we wanted breakfast in bed or a late night snack. Also the drinks were perfect as well - the swim up bars were our favorite, as well as the waiters that came by on the beach to bring you drinks as well. We didn't do any of the extra activities they offered at a price, just because everything that was included within the all-inclusive was perfect enough for us. The best feature of this resort is that everything you need to do, such as beach, pools, bars, and restaurants are all located directly a hallway length away from everything, it was very convenient. We will definitely be returning again someday, hopefully soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hanna P
Dear Guest

I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review and the valuable comments you've provided in it.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it’s always nice to know we have met your expectations with our outstanding service.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on many future occasions and we will be happy to make every stay special for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!