“So impressed I had to write a review to tell others!”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Brunswick, Ohio
“So impressed I had to write a review to tell others!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We just returned from dreams puerto aventuras, we all had such a great time!!! I would highly recommend this resort! We have stayed at other resorts in riviera maya but we definitely will return to this one! From the front desk, to the wait staff, to the housekeeper, everyone was great!! Food was excellent, beach was beautiful!!! Lots for the kids to do. Our favorite staff that stood out were.... Roberto at front desk, Juan segura at world cafe, ( he knew our names by the 2nd day! I was shocked when we walked in and he welcomed us by name!) Walter at world cafe , uliceses at seaside grill, and Oscar our housekeeper! They all went above and beyond our expectations! Their service was excellent! The whole set up of the resort pool, beach, is smaller then other resorts, but I loved that the pool and beach were literally feet away from our ground level room. The beach was very well maintained and if there was anything washed up on it they were always cleaning it up. I have been at other resorts where you can't even go in the ocean because of so much sea grass, not here, the water was beautiful! The beach was beautiful! My kids loved the water trampoline and ice berg climbing wall out in the ocean! I loved that the dolphin cove was right at the resort we didn't even have to leave the resort to swim with the dolphins! The rooms were all updated and very nice, very modern. I was surprised because the rooms on the website were not like the rooms we had, they were much nicer in person! We can't wait to book our next trip back to dreams puerto aventuras!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Annie H
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras with all the Tripadvisor community.

We're more than glad to know you had an excellent vacation with us and were able to enjoy every service we have to offer. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

Should need further assistance, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Warmest regards,

econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The service was fantastic and the rooms were beautiful. We were disappointed with the beach, or lack thereof. The beach was small and most of the swimming area is on a reef. Garbage would wash up on the beach daily and you had to walk through it to get in the water. It was nice to see groundskeepers removing the garbage and excess seaweed though. The food at Portofino and Oceana was great.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Rumple316
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

We were delighted to have you with us and thank you so much for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We would like to inform you that all the comments & suggestions are addressed to the involved departments to improve our service.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

Should need further assistance, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Red Oak, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have been to Cancun/Riviera Maya 9 times in the past two years...after only a few visits we knew we loved AMResorts and decided to save money and join the UVC (Unlimited Vacation Club) that they offer...you know, that sales presentation people complain about and claim is a scam? Well, its not. We have been THRILLED with it and have ZERO regrets (but that's not the purpose of this review, so I'll move on)

We have been to Omni Cancun (hotel zone), Paradisus Cancun (Hotel zone), Secrets Capri, Secrets Silversands (several times), Dreams Riviera Cancun, Now Jade and finally Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

Let me start by saying, if you are an adult and only adults are traveling in your vacation, personally I think you should go to Secrets Silversands or Secrets Capri. Even though there are specific adult sections at the family resorts, they are not excluded enough. Children are still everywhere and sadly, there's no avoiding them... either because they are on vacation or because the parents don't believe in having well behaved kids. I have kids, so I'm not against them. But when I travel without my children, I don't want to see any and be reminded that I've left them out of the fun and I also want to be AWAY from children when I actually LEAVE mine (if you know what I mean).

All that being said, I am reviewing Dreams PA as a family resort, as that is how we used it.

Pros:
1. Ocean - AMAZING! Wear water shoes though. Snorkeling right off the beach...not even knee deep in the water and there were big beautiful fish surrounding us! The "natural saltwater pool" had a fun ledge to jump off of (at lower tides young kids called it a "cliff"...but these were little children, so cute!) Ocean trampoline and floating climbing wall looked fun as well. Waves were beautiful to watch and looked big, but no strong current or undertow which was great. Water temperature was perfect.
2. Beach - Fantastic! Easy to be barefoot on, not hot to walk on and was soft. Beach volleyball was fun. Lots of beach chairs were always available. We opted to rent a bed on the beach and that was AMAZING
3. Location - PHENOMENAL! Seriously, what a location! First off, anyone who has travelled to Hilton Head Island, SC...it felt like Harbortown or Shelter Cove in Mexico. The resort is in a gated community type setting, marinas all around that you can walk to ... a very short walk and you are not only walking around beautiful boats docked, but if you time it right you can see what everyone caught while fishing that day (we saw a 240 pound Marlin!) but you can also see the dolphins and manatees there as well (the dolphin encounter program is located there). There are lots of shops and restaurants there as well. Lovely little walk to do that is free. Also, for only $50 round trip you can take a taxi to Akumal beach and snorkel with the sea turtles. The dive center is there and you can rent your snorkel gear there CHEAP! My two children and I went and the TOTAL spent (taxi plus snorkel gear) was $90...TOTAL, not per person! So, the location is perfect as that saved us a ton of money (the excursions charge $110 per person).
4. Activities - there was so much to do at this particular resort, either planned by the staff OR on your own (we did most on our own), that we all came home absolutely exhausted from doing so much! Though you can relax...if you want to DO things with your family and not spend a lot of extra money on top of the All Inclusive, this is definitely the place to go! We spent $95 (sea turtles) and that was literally all we spent extra aside from the actual resort price and tips.
5. Movies on the beach - this deserves a separate comment even though its considered an "activity". You are literally ON the beach...in the beach chairs...with the moon and stars above you...the ocean breeze blowing perfectly and keeping the mosquitos away plus keeping you cooled off. It was PERFECTION!
6. Food - The food was really good. Portofino and Oceana were our favorite. Every restaurant had something everyone liked and could order. The best part was that we were able to try things and they said if we didn't like them, they'd bring out something else. They never needed to , as we liked everything we tried.
7. Drinks - they have a "drink of the day", for both alcohol and non-alcohol. They were fun to try...it was wonderful having those listed on the day's "newspaper" (gives the times for all activities, etc.) because we aren't "drinkers" and no nothing about drinks and this gave us the opportunity to not only try new fruity beverages, but they didn't have to have alcohol in them either so YAY! Our favorite was the "virgin superman" - which was strawberry daiquiri and blue pina colada, Delicious!

Cons:
1. Pool - TERRIBLE! It's your basic square/rectangular type pool, smaller in size than we expected and HOT water in it...like SUPER HOT water. I don't know if it was so hot because it was so small the Mexico heat warmed it up or if it was from so many kids peeing in it. But it was HOT. There are VERY few chairs around the pool, so if you come here, know that you will most likely have to sit on the beach. I would like to think that you came to Mexico FOR the beach so that shouldn't be a problem. But if you are "sit by the pool and look at the beach" people, that will NOT happen. Even if you are lucky enough to get a chair by the pool, it is set up to where you won't see the beach anyways. We love the ocean, so this is a con for those reading the review, but it had ZERO effect on us for our opinion of the resort.
2. Beach CHAIRS - though they were always available, if you had even a sensitive back, let alone actual back issues, they were very uncomfortable after a while. Even for my kids, their backs started hurting...we are a very tall family (I'm 6'2", son is 6'5", daughter is only 13 but already 5'9") so maybe that was the problem and not actually the chairs???
3. Room - if you are coming to Mexico for a "luxury" hotel room...look elsewhere. The room is dated. Very dated. The bathroom mirror was so old and had what looked like hard water stains on it so badly that you couldn't see your face to put on make up or do your hair. We had to do that out by the bed. The pull out mirror (magnifying mirror attached to the wall) LITERALLY pulled out, COMPLETELY, from the wall when we moved it. Again, this was a family FUN vacation...so this didn't effect our opinion of the resort either. But those who are all about the room appearance and "luxury" feel of it, pay attention to that. The bed and pillows however were fine. We all slept great.
4. World Café Buffet Restaurant - I had issues with this. The food was great. However, I suffered a LOT in there every morning for breakfast...it was VERY hot inside. VERY hot. On top of that the ceilings are very low. And there was absolutely NO air circulating (no ceiling fans, nothing). I am claustrophobic and very tall...I struggled and fought off panic attacks from the heat/low ceiling/no air ventilation situation. Which was a shame, because honestly the food in there probably would've been our absolute favorite - we just couldn't enjoy it due to everything else.
5. Spa - First off, please know that we didn't use the spa...I don't pay that high a price for spa services UNLESS I am going to use the hydrotherapy spa rooms along with it (to make it worth the money spent). We walked through the spa to see their hydrotherapy facility and it was horrible. It had one hot tub and one cold tub. That's it! We use the Secrets Silverands and Secrets Capri and Dreams Riviera Cancun spa every time we go...here it was not worth the price. At all. They may give the world's best massages, but I didn't chance it.

I came home with an intestinal parasite...I want people to know this for a specific reason...it was NOT from the food and water. I injested ocean water while having all my fun snorkeling and playing in the ocean. YOU CAN GET SICK when you swallow to much ocean water (or if you get it up your nose - it goes to your stomach that way too). So many people complain about getting sick from the food and water at resorts in Mexico. Please be aware that sometimes its from the FUN you have in Mexico and not the resort's fault. Look at all the reviews - if there are a large number of reviews claiming to "get sick", then consider it. If there is only a small few, don't sweat it. It could be something else, like what happened with me.

That being said...let me conclude with this. Even with all those "cons", my children declared Dreams Puerto Aventuras as their favorite vacation yet! (and one of my "kids" is 20, the other 13...they have plenty to compare to). If you are looking for family fun in the ocean...this is definitely the place to be. We will absolutely, positively go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank 36HeatherH
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for taking the time and reviewed your recent experience at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We're more than happy to know you had an incredible family vacation with us and we're the favorite of your kids so far!

We truly appreciate each comment and feedback you have provided, all of them are addressed to the involved departments to improve our services. We really hope to welcome you again very soon in your home away from home.

Any assistance or information you may need in the future, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

West Bend
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Not a big deal but just a heads up. Do not bother mailing postcards home from Dreams Puerto Adventuras Resort & Spa. My wife and I wrote out 8 postcards and affixed them with first class US postage stamps. There's nothing more satisfying than making friends and family jealous with a "Wish you were here" postcard. We then delivered them to the Consierge's Desk to be placed in the outgoing mail. This was Nov. 29th, 2013. As of this date, June 19th, 2014, none of the postcards were ever delivered. I contacted Concierge Rebecca Tunstall who assured me that the postcards would have gone out the following day at the latest. Further, the Mexican Postal Service is notoriously unreliable. In any event, don't put the time and effort into mailing postcards that will never arrive.

Room Tip: Be sure to have a good view if you request an ocean side room. Our friends got an upper ocean view r...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Digger437456
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We truly apologize for the inconvenient you had with mailing your postcards. We usually do not recommend sending packages via mail because it can be lost on the way. Please, keep in mind we did our best in comply all your request, unfortunately, this matter was out of our hands.

We hope after all you have enjoyed your vacation with us and hopefully welcome you back in a near future.

Kind regards,

Maripaz Martínez
Fairmont, West Virginia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A little bit of background: we booked this trip as a 6-Apple Square Deal through Apple Vacations (if you are unfamiliar with “Square Deals” essentially, you book a trip that has a specific rating in a certain location, but you don’t find out which hotel you’re staying at until the night before you travel). We are 2 adults in our early 30s. We were looking for a nice, relaxing vacation.

Initial Impression: I am not going to lie, I was initially not happy with the resort. I have travelled to Mexico a few times before, and I had always stayed at very large resorts, this resort is small. I initially thought small = inferior. Boy was I wrong. The smaller size of this resort is part of what made our stay wonderful. We had the opportunity to meet many nice people and connect with staff members.

Rooms: The rooms were great. We had a “Dolphin View” King Room. Which essentially meant, we had a king sized bed that overlooked the pool and the Dolphin exhibit. Since we booked the Square Deal, we didn’t have a say in the room; however, we were not disappointed. The room was spacious, clean, and had very comfortable bedding. The bathroom has a tiled, walk in shower, and a dual sink vanity. The rooms came with plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner, a razor, toothpaste, toothbrushes, Q-tips, shave cream, a razor, lotion, and a small tube of sunscreen (we didn’t use any of that stuff since we brought our own). The room also has a flat screen tv that has a few English speaking channels, a mini-safe, iron, blow dryer, and a fully stocked minibar (stocked daily with Corona, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Fanta). Housekeeping was wonderful, always leaving fresh, clean towels.

Food: There are 6 restaurants at Dreams PA. You can view their rules and types on the Dreams PA website. We never had a bad meal here. We alternated eating breakfast at the World Café (buffet) and the El Patio (Mexican restaurant). Both were good and had plenty to choose from. Bottom line, if you go hungry that is your fault. The options are endless, and the food is good.

Drinks: There are 3 main bars at Dreams PA. 1 located on the beach, the other 2 by the pools (adult side and family side). During the day, wait staff work the beach area to ensure you don’t have to leave your raft or chair to refill your drink. The drinks were delicious with a variety of spirits to choose from as well as a selection of beer (from Corona to Bud Light). The resort also has daily drink “specials” to choose from. Our favorite was “A Day at the Beach” and a “Leaping Lizard”.

Beach: The reason I travelled to Mexico was for the gorgeous white sandy beaches. My initial impression of this beach was, “Oh No!” because it has a rocky area. What I considered a downfall actually turned out to be an asset for this resort. Yes, there is a rocky area, but you can totally avoid it and stay in the sandy area. The water is warm, crystal clear, and filled with so many fish that swim right around the beach. We elected to snorkel at the resort (versus paying $110/per person on a tour) and saw a vast amount of sea life around the rocky parts of the beach. This by far was the highlight of our trip! I just wish we would’ve brought an underwater camera to capture a few shots. The beach also includes a water trampoline and a climbing wall for children 12 and under.

Pool: I go to the beach for…the beach! So we spent less than 20 minutes in the pool. There are 2 pools, 1 on the adult size, 1 on the family side. Each has a swim up bar. There are also 2 jacuzzi tubs, 1 on the adult size 1 on the family side. I can’t speak much about the pools other than to say the kids looked happy, the entertainment staff was always hard at work keeping things going, and they were always clean. Overall, the pools were on the small size, but with a smaller resort they were never overcrowded.

Entertainment: Every day the resort provides you with a memo to advise the guests what events are planned for that day. They have events from morning stretching, beach volleyball, to comedy at night. The memo also tells you about the daily drink specials and programs for kids.

Service: The #1 reason I would return to this resort or suggest it to someone else is the service. The people who work here are the nicest people I have ever encountered in the service industry. Every “thank you” is returned with a “my pleasure” and you truly believe they are happy to help!

Overall we had a fantastic time! I would never have selected this resort on it’s own, but the nature of the Square Deal is they pick for you. I am glad we visited here! It was a blast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank April B
E-Concierge-DreamsPA, E-Concierge at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review and the valuable comments you’ve provided in it.

We're more than happy to know you enjoyed each area of the hotel and we went above and beyond your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again and pamper like no one else.

Once again thank you for your great comments and any assistance you may need, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I thought the beach was great (loved the views), service was good. We have been to the NOW in Punta Cana and we loved their service, entertainment team, and their enthusiasm. I wish there was AC in more of the common areas. The AC in our room was not working properly so it was very humid. My husband couldn't sleep in there, so we upgraded to a preferred master suite. A funny thing is that the towels seemed worn and even had holes in them in our regular room, but they were much thicker on preferred floor. There was a lot of choices for food and many delicious dishes. I wish the water and juices for breakfast were cool, as the ac doesn't really work in the main buffet restaurant. Love the Patio restaurant for breakfast, the views and breeze from the ocean were lovely. I enjoyed seeing the dolphins and walking around Puerto Aventuras.

Room Tip: Our room 418 was very humid and noisy. You can hear the music until 1 am, so I wouldn't recommen...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claudia J
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time and share your recent experience with all the Tripadvisor community.

We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the A/C unit within your room. All your comments and suggestions are addressed to the involved departments to improve our service. Despite this, we are very happy you enjoyed all the different areas and services we offer at the resort.

Best regards,

St. Louis
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Every single member of the staff was warm, welcoming, and happy to serve us. Their constant smiles made it impossible to not enjoy ourselves. They went above and beyond to meet our wants and needs. The adult pool was a great option if we wanted some peace and quiet while the main pool area provided hours of entertainment. The food was by far the most outstanding I've ever had at an all inclusive resort. I would definitely recommend vacationing at Dreams.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Megwhirly
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate the time you took to write a review following your visit with us at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. We will share your feedback with the operations staff.

We are glad you enjoyed all the facilities and services we offer at the resort. Thank you for your recommendation. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!