Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$232
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$342
US$330
  • Breakfast included
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$360
US$223
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$233
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
US$233
  • Breakfast included
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$400
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$232
  • Pool
Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$459
US$425
US$501
  • Pool
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$86
5,130 results
All reviewsseaside grillworld cafeel patioadult pooldreams pafamily poolbarracuda barsushi restaurantpreferred clubexplorers clubnatural pooldolphin viewcoco cafewater trampolinemarina sidewater showfish tacos
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Loved the quiet bay and hotel was wonderful for relaxing.

1  Thank Judyrn92
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We just returned from a 7 night stay at Dreams PA and it was wonderful!

Before our trip, I was a bit concerned after reading some negative reviews and went expecting some disappointment. Upon arrival, our room was ready and was very nice. I liked the room better than GBP Coba (we stayed there in July '08). The bed was wonderful and the resort was small enough that you didn't need to wait for buses to take you to remote restaurants.

There was never a wait for any of the premium restaurants and the service at these places, as well as the bars, buffets and pool/beach drink and food service was amazing. On more than one occasion, our waiters went out of their way to make our stay wonderful (my wife was offered ice cream at the buffet. We were shocked to see our guy leave the buffet to go to a premium restaurant to get the ice cream and then return shortly after).

The location is perfect. Walking in Puerto Adventuras was great and the food was wonderful. The resort is located about 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen (160 pesos cab fare), which made it convenient for us to spend a few nights out in Playa.

I was very pleased the entire time and would not hesitate to return. In fact, I may cancel a vegas trip the family is planning for july and return to Dreams PA.

5  Thank fdbowie
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I have been the second time to this hotel, the first time was in 2007 when it was still a Sunscape. I must say that the hotel is so much better now. We also enjoyed our stay last time, but that was merely because of the dive operator Pro Dive Mexico. Back then, the hotel had an "old" feel to it, with musty rooms and no good food. This has changed completely now, the property has been renovated completely, and was bought by Dreams. We really loved our brandnew furnished rooms, with lost of marble and nice wood, and the food this time was outstanding! We had stayed once at Iberostar in Playa Paraiso (north of Playa del Carmen), where we absolutely loved it, and I must say that staying at Dreams Puerto Aventuras was a comparable experience. Maybe even nicer, as the Dreams property is much smaller, and as we had the kids with us it was much easier to have a relaxing time, without having to worry all the time that the kids disappear in a huge property. Due to its small size everthing in Dreams is very closeby, and you always keep the overview, especially if you have the kids with you!

While we loved the hotel, the very best thing about it, once again was its dive operator. The Pro Dive Shop was the reason we came back and we were not disappointed! Although most of the instructor staff had changed, as usual everyone was very professional, most competent and, especially important, safe.

The dive team consists of a multi cultural team, and it gave us great joy to dive with them. Most of their guides come from germany, which probably explains their dedication to punctuality, safety and professionalism. The dive equipment (brand new Scubapro equipment!) and boats were top notch, although the facility now is a bit hidden behind the toilets! Hard to find for someone who doesn't know, at least until he has to use the guest room at the beach ;-)

We especially enjoyed our diving trip to cozumel where we dove Palancar and Chankanaab reefs. Sharief, Pro Dives guide for in cozumel, really needs to be mentioned for his accomodating and caring way! The reefs in cozumel as always were simply stunning, and we saw a huge eagle ray and a few big groupers.

Another highlight of our dives was our trip to the cenote Dos Ojos. We went with Bram, a german and VERY organised cave guide, and when listening to his extensive briefing, we knew right away that we couldn't be more safe with him in those scary caverns. And what an experience this was! I could not have imagined that the caverns from inside are so beautiful, I can definetely recommend to everyone to try this, but make sure to go on a sunny day, as the penetrating sunlight makes the experience even nicer.
We also went to Tortugas reef, where as last time we saw a great amount of marine turtles, plus made another 4 or so dives at the local reefs of Puerto Aventuras. And also those are very nice too! Yes, here you find more small stuff, but if you have an eye for it you won't be disappointed. The good thing with Pro Dive is that they always try to group novices with novices and the experienced with experienced. As for me, diving with the novices (because of my recently cerified sun!), I could see that no matter what the experience level is, Pro Dive has to be recommended for everyone at every level.

Special greetings go to Wolf, Karina, Bram, Sharief, Yann and Tristan. Pro Dive Mexico & Dreams Puerto Aventuras, we will be back!

Jennifer Baxter

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank jennybaxter
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Here are some facts:
The check-in took 30 minutes, and there was no greeting with drinks or snacks (were all gone). One concierge had 6 people in line to check in. Continuing in this trend, there were lines everywhere for the rest of my stay. They have a first come first served policy so you have to wait everywhere, for the restaurants, to take a boat, and so on. No reservations taken.
As to the restaurants, El Patio has good Mexican food and good service. However, on my first night there was rain, so people were waiting in the rain to be seated. Oceana has mediocre seafood –Maryland crab cake was made mostly out of Chinese fish sticks overly spiced up so you will not notice the absence of crab. But the main problem here is the time that it took to be served: 2 hours, specifically 30 minutes in line to be seated, another 30 to get an appetizer and another hour for the entrée. I gave them a second chance and the next time I came very early to be first in line. Still, I was waiting for my soup for 50 minutes, and I had to grab a waiter so he would bring me at least some wine. Anyway, then I gave up and went to the buffet-type restaurant. In general I noticed they didn’t have much of a choice of fruits-watermelon, cantaloupe and papaya: that is about it.
The hotel offered $100 as a credit to spend in the spa. But when I got there they actually gave me 3 coupons: a $40, another $40, and a $20, only one of which can be applied to a given service so you can’t really get a decent discount on their expensive services: so this was quite a sham. I was told I could also use these coupons for telephone calls and such. But here’s the catch: only one coupon can be used per phone call. If you make a call costing $5, if you use your $40 coupon, you just lost all $40—you don’t get credit for the $35 you didn’t use. And the staff didn’t understand this little detail, except the ones billing you at the end of your stay. Beware the severe limitations of these “free” coupons, as you could get screwed.
The beach is tiny and rocky. Here is the picture of the water at the beach full of crap floating in it, and I didn’t see them cleaning it at all. I tried to take a walk on the beach and went through the hotel next door, and was turned around by guards. So forget about long beach walks.
Room cleaning one day didn’t occur until 8pm, another wasn’t cleaned at all. If you get a room with ocean view don’t get too excited, because there is a lot of noise coming from the pool area: bands and restaurants, and the ocean air is mixed with BBQ smoke. Forget about taking a nap during the day. There is annoying timeshare-selling style music booming all day long. Sport activities: for a 7 story hotel they have just one sailboat which is taken all the time, and there is a day long waiting time (again no reservation –first come first served). You can take it only for about 20 min with the instructor who won’t even let you to sail on your own. I was lucky to get it only once, and not even for 20 minutes, maybe 10-15 at the most. Windsurfing wasn’t available at all. Internet cost $14 per hour (minimum). Spa $35 a day. Big towels, juice and bathrobes in the room are the pluses.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Keri33
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Just stayed at this hotel from Jan 16-20th.

Location: the hotel is far from the airport. Puerto Aventuras is at least 45 min to an hour if you were smart enough to book a cab. We booked Grey Line Shared van service and it took us 1 h 45 min to get to the hotel. Advice: Take a cab each way, a cabbie told us it was $60 each direction totalling $120 and it will save you time. We paid $140 for Grey Line. Aside from that, the marina area where the hotel is located is cute. It is a mere 5 minute walk which was nice for morning strolls and in the same marina area is the dolphin encounter, fun to watch or experience. From Playa del carmen, the hotel is about 20 minutes, and a $16 cab ride each way.

Resort Itself: small resort, more suited for families with kids and older couples. If you like large spacious spread out resorts, this is not the place for you. We are a couple in our early 30's and felt somewhat out of place between all the kids in the main pool area and the older adults in the adult only pool area. Resort area was otherwise overall very clean and most staff very friendly.

Hotel Beach: very small beach area and rocky sand, take water shoes. Getting lounge chairs on the beach was difficult if you were not out on the beach area before 10-10:30am. We only were able to get chairs on the beach 1 day, the other days we lounged by either the main pool or the adult pool

Hotel Pools/Hot tubs: 2 pools. The main pool and main large hot tub is by the beach area, water was quite cold considering the overall weather at the time. Main pool area can get quite loud and at times annoying between water aerobics, loud music, and the tons of kids that are there. Forget trying to enjoy the main hot tub, it was like a mini pool for all the kids. The adult pool on the other side of the hotel was smaller, but quieter and peaceful. There was also a smaller hot tub in this area which was more accessible. Water on the adult side seemed slightly warmer as well and lounge chair were cushioned. Both pulls areas had swim up bars

Restaurants: Portofino (Italian) was probably the best restaurant. El Patio (Mexican) was okay, we ate both inside the restaurant and at the outdoor Beach Mexican buffet dinner, both of which were on the okay side, but not bad. Chef burger served pretty decent cheeseburgers. Seaside Grill and World Buffet were okay, average I would say. World buffet had a small selection compared to other all inclusives

Rooms : arrived Friday around 4pm and got our room right away on the 3rd floor. All ocean side rooms are considered ocean view, but if you want a full ocean view ask for a room on a higher floor otherwise you will get pool view and some ocean view. Ocean side is very loud due to beachside music and activities

House Cleaning: House cleaning was something else. Have no clue what kind of schedule for cleaning this hotel runs on. First full day we were there, we returned to our room by 4pm, room was not clean and I had to ask for it to be cleaned while we were in the room. 2nd day, returned at 430, room still not clean, again had the room cleaned while we were in it. 3rd day decided to ask the house cleaning lady early when we were leaving to clean our room and she gave me an attitude and said it would be cleaned later. We returned 2x in the afternoon and finally by 4:45 it was clean. We did miraculously get turn down service however all 3 nights!!

Vouchers: received our $200 resort credid immeidately, but read it carefully, you can only apply a certain amoutn towards each service, I think some people found this confusing.

Entertiainment: definitely lacking. Karoake every night, a mediocre mexican cultural show, supposedly showed movies on the beach, though we never figured out where. Showed a football game one night on the beach.

Overall thoughs- okay resort, has some issues, could be better, but can't really complain for the price for a short getaway.

7  Thank peenali