“Absolutely outstanding for married couples & families!!”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My wife and I enjoyed our anniversary at this excellent Dreams resort for five nights in late April & early March, 2011. The location is superb, far enough away from the college spring break action in Cancun but close enough to shop and enjoy night life in Playa del Carmen. This lovely neighborhood resort is nestled among dozens of tiendas, restaurantes, boutiques, and tourist activities such as swimming with the dolphins and deep sea fishing charters. The hotel staff is the most polite and helpful I've ever seen! The food is even better than the two resorts I've visited in Puerto Vallarta. The Explorers' Club had plenty of activities (free baby sitting) to keep the kids active and happy all day and into the evening. It's great for parents and grandparents, so bring your kids and grand kids. But college students will prefer Cancun. The beach is great but the water gets barely waist deep before you run into a reef, which makes the water only a foot deep at low tide. So the ocean is more than adequate for a resort. All facilities are in excellent repair. the pools and swim up bars are very well cleaned and maintained. Evening entertainment was excellent quality and very enjoyable for us 50 somethings, but the teens and twenty somethings might prefer Cancun. It was very easy to make tour arrangements with the "Best Day" company representatives in the lobby. Only 20 minutes to Tulum! And the cost and distance to Chizen Itza is the same as from Cancun and from Playa del Carmen. But be very careful not to get suckered into the 90 presentation for a vacation club membership in Tolum! The only disappointment in our room was that we had no table nor chair. However, there was a small table with 2 chairs on the huge terrace overlooking the ocean!

4  Thank JohnBrenz

Reviewed 9 March 2011

The Good: I've been to all inclusive in this many times & this one has it's merits. Small location, tons of character (the choral along ocean made you feel like you were in Hawaii more than Mexico), with the nicest staff of anyplace I've been. Beach is nice but small, especially when sun starts to set behind 7 story building. Ocean is very usable because it's on a bay behind natural reef but very shallow. Food is good for Mexico. Sushi place & Italian were our favorites in addition to Seaside Grill. Our room was cool as well. We were on the 3rd floor on the back side facing the canal w/ a spiral staircase to a sitting area which I assume had a pullout couch. You are also walking distance to a marina, restaurants, cantinas, & an aquarium that you can walk around anytime. It was like being @ Sea World after closing.
The Bad: Too many kids. They need to watch the ratio. Kids are OK but there were TONS & Spring Breaks hadn't even begun. They took over the front pool area & the hot tub. Adult pool was pretty quiet except for a small group of drinkers who got louder as day progressed but most were cool about it (I'm a quiet drunk).
The Ugly: Some dude from Tenn. with big teeth who attracted the more obnoxious clique in the resort. He wore jean shorts, & the biggest decision of his day was weather to wear his Ferrari or Tie Dye baseball hat. He went by himself because he has 2 girlfriends & he couldn't decide which one to take...we all knew this b/c he was so loud. They ended up doing cannon balls, splashing a lady trying to read her Kindle poolside, & flushing out others in whatever vacinity they gravitated. Made me wonder if there was any security.
All in all a good value & a good experience but probably would have been disappointed if I paid a 6 golden apple price.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

We absolutely enjoyed everything about this resort and have been to other resorts in Mexico on 8 different trips. This was our 3rd stay to a Dreams Resort and met all our expectations!!! The staff is so friendly, the shows were great....really enjoyed the Elvis show. The Entertainment guys & gal are top notch!!! Great with activities sunny or rainy days. Ask for Bernardo on the beach, great service!!!!

3  Thank DebbieH46
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My husband and I just spent a week at Puerto Aventuras celebrating my 50th birthday (Feb 24th-March 3rd) and had an excellent time. This was our first all-inclusive trip, so we weren’t quite sure what to expect. We were chartered to/from resort through Apple Vacations. The drive was about 75 min, but was air conditioned and went by quickly. We arrived a little before check-in time and were greeted, given a brief orientation on the resort and services, and then shown to the World Cafe restaurant where we got something to eat and drink while we waited for our room to be ready.

We had an ocean view room which was lovely; although, it is a bit noisy during the day if you want to rest a bit in your room, as the pool/activities are going on right below the room. I think the marina side is quieter, if that is important to you. We ended up having so much fun; the noise wasn't a bother at all after the first day's jet lag/lack of sleep from the early flight.

All of the staff was exceptional, always very accommodating, and always greeted us with a big smile and was eager to serve. Rosa, our concierge, was very helpful and made sure everything was going well throughout our entire trip. Amado was usually our waiter at the buffet style World Cafe restaurant. He was exceptional, always happy, smiling, funny, and wanting to grant our every wish. Xiomara was the hostess at the World Cafe and always made us feel so welcomed upon arrival. We looked forward to seeing them each day. All of the waiters were exceptional at this restaurant. It was open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and always had a wide variety of food which changed daily. The coffee was good at the restaurants, but not excellent. We are coffee lovers who are used to drinking a premium brand, and felt that the coffee could have been better to match the rest of the great experience. However, the coffee was good enough and would not stop us from going back to this resort!

On the beach, waiters would come around to be sure we always had our drink of choice. The food was exceptional at all the restaurants we went to. We did not get to eat at the Gohan Sushi bar or the Oceana, because we would still be too full from lunch to eat a full meal for dinner every night. The salmon and filet mignon at the Portifino Italian restaurant were excellent, as well as the service. The salmon is probably the best I've ever had! The steak fajitas and tacos at El Patio were delicious, and the atmosphere was very festive and waiter was very gracious. We ate at the Seaside Grill outside for lunch quite often and were pleased with their food. The fish tacos and nachos supreme were great, as well as the coconut ice cream!

Dinner was provided on the beach two evenings, once for Caribbean night and once for Mexican night, using cloth napkins and the works. The food was set up buffet style on the beach, and waiters would come around keeping drinks full and asking if we needed anything.

There were a lot of people there with children, but all seemed to be having a good time. They do have activities for the kids every day which seemed to keep them quite occupied. There were vendors set up outside a couple of nights, if you wanted to buy gifts, crafts, etc. There was a man painting pictures while we watched, which was very enjoyable, and they were reasonably priced. There was also a pottery stand set up in which you could pick a piece of pottery and paint it yourself as an activity. I think you paid extra for this activity.

There was different entertainment every night which was nice, including movies on the big screen on the beach. The Oscars' Awards night was celebrated on the big screen outside, with champagne/drinks and hors d'oeuvres being served. They even had 2 men walking around painted all gold from head-to-toe, like the awards handed out, and also a couple people dressed like they were from Alice in Wonderland. They had a contest to see who could guess the most Oscar winners, with prizes given and names of resort winners in the following day's activities page. Other entertainment inside included circus acrobats, Elvis night, Fire & Water show (outside), Caribbean show, Mexican show, and a classic rock band in the lobby which we really enjoyed.

We went to Playa del Carmen one day by taxi ($16 each way). It is about 15-20 min away from resort. If you love to shop and don't mind vendors being VERY pesky, you would love this place. We only stayed 3 hours, as we found the atmosphere much more enjoyable and relaxing at our resort. They were doing massages on the beach in Playa del Carmen for $18. We had already gotten massages at the resort, which were excellent but a bit pricey. I am a massage therapist myself and may judge a little more critically, but only have good things to say about our experience. I had a Swedish massage and my husband had a deep tissue massage done side-by-side.

The beach was different here, as it is set up with some type of rock barrier. This is nice for kids and for people like me who don't want to worry about swimming with sharks in the water, swimming against big waves, boogie boarding, etc. But if you like waves and the big ocean experience, this may not be for you. Although, people were using kayaks and catamarans and looked like they were having a good time. The snorkeling is free, but you could just walk out into the clear water and see the fish swimming around, so I did not feel as though I needed to snorkel. They had an inflatable rock climbing wall and a trampoline in the water for the kids, which they seemed to enjoy.

I could go on and on about how great our trip was, but I think you get the picture by now. I would highly recommend this resort to people with children and to people who like to relax in the sun and enjoy a little entertainment in the evening. We were waited on by people who truly seemed to love what they are doing and treated us very graciously. They were happy to receive a tip, but treated us equally as well if we didn’t. I hope this review was helpful to all who read it.

4  Thank Kenna227
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Home after a week at Dreams PA. I must admit I was a nervous wreck about the resort after reading reviews on here, but that was quickly dismissed. We booked a garden view...and ended up with an ocean view with two full size beds. At first I was bummed about the bed situation, but ended up loving that I didn't have to share the bed or covers ALL WEEK!!!! We arrived at 12Noon and weren't able to get into our room until EXACTLY 3p. After seeing the room and the view, I got over it!!!! The resort is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. I didn't have any problems with the shower/water on the floor issue many complain about. The rooms were moist, as I never did quite get my thick hair all the way dry, but that is to be expected in this area so it didn't really bother me. Never smelled the "musty" smell. Had issue with the safe upon arrival and once the front dest was notified they were up fixing in within FIVE min. It was noisy at times in the hallway, people and kids screaming in the hallway, slamming doors, and i think the room above us we're tap dancers. I never missed a wink of sleep due to the noise. I was in bed no later than 930ish and awake around 6a. I would say it's perfectly quite during hours of sleep. Beach is PERFECT. Lots of fish easily spotted w/o snorkel gear (which we didn't utilize all week). Yes, there was the seaweed on the shore line...it's the ocean, you'll have that!!! Didn't notice that it was rockey and didn't need swim shoes. Never had a problem with finding pool/beach chairs and we had 4 of us. Yes, you still have inconsiderate people that put towels, books, bags on chairs then don't return to the chairs for HOURS, but we were still able to find four chairs. Drinks were great, I have a new found love for Mojito's!!!!! Take singles for tips, theses people work hard and provide great service. No complaints about the food. Sea Side Grill was great for lunch, fish tacos, grilled chicken ceaser salad, club sandwich were all good. Oceana was good, the strawberry dessert was even better!!! At Portifino the salmon fetticcini was tastey. World Cafe was AWESOME for breakfast! Gohan Sushi Bar was one of my faves. It's not five star, but its good for MEXICO at an ALL INCLUSIVE. We never had to wait to get into any of the restaurants and had quick service at all of them. Again, take singles for tips for meals. We ordered wings, chicken fingers and chips and guac one afternoon from room service and it was fine and delivered in a timely fashion. We did the CataMaya Catamaran trip, I would highly recommend it!!! Spent an evening in Playa which I wasn't a big fan of, did deep sea fishing with Capt Rick (no bites), and Adventuras Mayas snorkel tour, which was also a blast.

1hr 15min trip from Cancun Airport, we booked thru USA transfers. $115 for round trip PRIVATE transportation....well worth the money!

$20 ($16 +$4 tip) one way cab ride to Playa

$27 one way cab ride to Tulum (we pain $80 total and he waited on us in the parking lot)

Bottom line, we had a great vacation at Dreams PA and you will too!

1  Thank misssarahg
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We just got back from a great vacation! I went with my mother and my two boys, ages five and seven. The food was great, there's something for everyone. The beach is kept clean with beautiful sand. The water is shallow so it was perfect for younger children. My five year old loved the water trampoline! Carolina, Monica and Alejandra were excellent with entertaining my boys at The Explorers Club. They did lots of crafts, beach and pool games and even took them to lunch and dinner so my mother and I could have a peaceful adult meal every once in a while.

Martin and Alfonso are part of the Entertainment crew and were always cheerful and ready to get us going with water aerobics, Zumba or a game of beach volleyball.

The restaurants were delicious. We never went to the sushi restaurant as we don't care for raw fish. However, El Patio the Mexican restaurant and Portofino were our favorites!

We can't wait to go back! I highly recommend Dreams Puerto Aventuras!

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Sujo73
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This was our first all-inclusive experience. It was a little letdown. We didn't have high hopes because we are skeptical of all-inclusive resorts anyhow. We are travelers and not vacationers. Meaning we are not ones to lie around a pool the whole day. We like to go, see, do. We have travel around the world – Australia, China, Germany, and hundreds of places around the US.

Pros:

Small resort so you could explore all aspects of the resort in a short stay.
Within an area that had other activities - dolphin swim, shops, boat docks to walk around, golf course.

Serves on the beach was wonderful. We sat near the pool, but on the beach under palm trees. The 3 or 4 hours we were there a waiter came by 4 or 5 times to check on us.

Both pools looked nice. We didn’t get in.

We didn’t encounter lack of chairs. We did notice people leaving their towels on the chairs when they were obviously leaving. It make it look like the chair was being used, but it wasn’t. I would suggest if just a resort towel is on the chair the chair is fair game. If there are personal items I would say it is taken.

Cons:

Our room was located on the 1st floor (not lobby that is on the 2nd) right beside the service area, common elevators, and pool/beach access. Since the floors were tile this made it extremely noisy. The service doors opened and closed 24 hours a day. I would recommend bringing ear plugs as the front desk was not willing to move us even though the hotel was obviously not full.

The food was not overly exciting. I saw many posts stating that the sushi was wonderful. Not sure where these poster’s are getting sushi, but the sushi was moderate and that is being generous.

The tour center was fine, but you had to know exactly what agent to see, because we experience one agent that was overly pushy and didn’t even offer what we wanted. See the hotel concierge before speaking to any of them and she/he can tell you what agent has the tour you want. The agents are dressed just like resort concierge so be careful.
If you are taking tours during the day you miss out on the food/drink and this is where I think the resort makes out and why all my cons could easily be fixed with the money the resort is saving.

Many of the items within the resort are getting worn-out and need to be replaced/taken out of circulation. For example, the table cloth at the Mexican restaurant had a hole in it. It was very obvious since it was in the center of our table. The lamp shade in the room was turning brown from age and maybe dampness damage. The table on our deck had holes in it like somebody stood on it and broke through. The sign on the top of the hotel was partial missing. I am sure I could continue with my list, but I didn’t keep a journal.

No interenet access unless you pay. This is such a minimal cost to the resort. Here again I feel like for what you pay this should be included.

I feel that the money you pay for the resorts you don’t get enough. Don’t get me wrong, this resort was nice, and I would suggest going. But if I were to go back to this area of Mexico I would definitely choice another resort. We were there for a wedding and found out that the couple had to pay an additional charge for our dinner that night even though we weren’t going to go to one of the restaurants and the reception at the resort had similar food that was offered at some of the restaurants.

I hope this review helps. The most import point in this post is if your room is near the elevator on floor one, try your best to get it moved. However, the front desk is not very helpful.

2  Thank hearttravelingVA
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort
Omni Puerto Aventuras Beach Reso...
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!