“good value overall”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 24 February 2012

stayed at colonial. room was great. room service good. lack of communication on activities...lack of communication on what your colored wristband allowed you...everyone had different color wrist bands. buffets were boring. same stuff every day. ho hum. a la carte restaurants pretty good. seafood restaurant horrible. italian/hibachi/steakhouse pretty good. get out early to reserve chairs....tip for better service....3 1/2 stars from me.

Room Tip: make sure your room is not near the show area. LOUD at nite.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2016

Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo maya colonial for a week feb.9-16th and abosolutley loved it!
Rooms: The rooms are very clean and well maintained, we had the junior suite king bed and its was awesome the bathroom was amazing it had 2 showers and seperate toilet which was nice if you both needed to use the bathroom at the same time. view was awesome had our own terrace it looked like all the rooms either had a balcony or terrace.
Pool/ Beach: We only swam in the pool the first night we were there and spent the rest of our trip at the beach, well maintaned we were able to get beach chairs had to search a couple times if you plan on spending the day at the beach go put your towel over some chairs that way they are saved.
Buffet/ resturants: we only ate at the steakhoue which was excellent they definatley cater to you. The buffet was delicious as well very good for people like me who are picky eaters there was a huge varity of food and the alcohol of course was good hubby enjoyed the cold beer and I loved there strawberry daiquiri's they are sweet but very good.
Overall the service food and even the grounds were awesome. We enjoyed our trip and will be going there again next year!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
BMAYAFASEII, Propietario at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We've just landed from a week at Barcelo Maya Colonial (party of 11).

Check in and out was no problemo at all. I found the rest of the resort to be really inconsistent.

We attended three of the 5 ala cartes. Steak & Japanese were great. The Italian, not so much. I made or changed dinner reservations at three different desks and twice their computers were down and unable to help me. I do take issue that they don't request ladies to try to dress a bit better. While men are required to be in long pants and dress shirts there were women in formal-wear and others in daisy dukes and teeny tanks. Not classy and it wouldn't have passed at every other resort we've visited.

Considering that you pay more for Colonial and up you should certainly get free wifi. Rather than $12 per day.

Paying $8 per plate for room service doesn't reflect what you've already paid for the resort.

I thought the room was nicely appointed. Housekeeping was pretty good, but, they didn't replace facecloths and, after several phone calls, I started raiding housekeeping carts. My daughter's room wasn't cleaned until after 7 PM one day. TV reception was a blizzard. Thumbs up to no cockroaches, dead or alive. Only half of our party found the Prestige liquor gifts in their rooms. Some received them when they asked, some left without.

The balconies mostly face lush gardens and are nicely private.

The Colonial/Tropical buffets were horrible in both food and service. We had great meals and service at the Maya Beach and Caribe buffet, but, without a/c. The food and service at both Captain Morgan's & Mariachi grills wasn't worth getting dried and dressed. Maybe they should just stick with burgers and ice cream and let us go in however we are. An afternoon burger stand on the beach would be even better and it does get to be a hike back to the pool bars from the beach.

Why is the ocean warmer than the pools? I thought it was great that the pools were open later than other resorts, but, we still never made it out for a moonlight swim.

If there was an animation team at the resort I never saw them, nor did I see postings for activities. I saw some miniclub kids out on a scavenger hunt one day, but, every other time I walked through to exchange towels they were lined up watching tv.

The acoustics in the theater aren't great and they seem to believe that louder is better until it becomes a distorted screech that carries into every room in the resort. Take the volume down a notch and let people who are there enjoy the voices and the people who aren't at the theater could have some peace.

There wasn't a single Canadian rye in the all-inclusive.

A little disappointing that the only mammal our party spotted was a rat.

The mini-golf was a blast and I can't wait to bring the grandkids there to enjoy the water park, but, I won't be back to the Barcelo before that.

Room Tip: face east to avoid late day hot sun and get as far from the theater as you can.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cindy M
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

Firstly, we want to thank you for staying at Barceló Maya Colonial. Secondly, we also want to thank you for your significant comment which is very important for us to improve our amenities.

Thirdly, we also want to apologize for any inconvenience that you have had during your stay with us. Our hotel is working hard and putting its best effort to improve the services and products to accomplish customer’s satisfaction.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

There are some things you can do to make your trip a great experience. First, spend a few dollars and upgrade the airline to preferred. You get to cut the line at check in, free food and drink and you don't wait for your bags on arrival. Second, if you drink alcohol, upgrade to premium. You'll make up for the upgrade in a day or two, plus your treated nicer because your premium. Apple Vacation can help with this. Lastly, you want good service? Throw out a tip every once in a while. A couple dollars still go's a long way in Mexico. If you like the beach, their beach is 1.2 miles in length. Everything is a five minute walk or less, so the place has a small feel to it. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DanE744

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just returned from staying at the colonial for 8 day and I have to say I am extemely pleased. First off the grounds are gorgeous and so well maintained, the beach is full of soft sand unlike other parts of mexico where the beach was covered in sharp coral. The restaurants and buffets were delicious and for an extremely picky eater that says a lot and my drink was never empty. I would totally reccommend this to any travelor coming to Mexico as I have been 5 times and this by far was the best resort I have been too.

Hint when staying here: dont take a taxi anywhere, walk to the road and for $2-3 you can take a white shuttle anywhere you want!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Crystal Nicole L

Dear Nicole:

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just returned from Barcelo Colonial and really enjoyed it!!! Guess I could let some things bother me to the point of not returning, but the overall experience was great! Flew on Thursday from Pitts to Cancun on Feb 9th...Air Tran and security lines so long that we didn't have time to grab a bite to eat in airport (only cookies/pretzels) on plane. Then immigration/customs took 2 1/2 hrs (would suggest a frozen margarita at outdoor bar at airport to take on shuttle ride) which is about an hour to the resort. At checkin asked for a 2nd/3rd floor room with King bed. They said they had us set up on 1st floor with double beds, but to check in the morning which we did and they told us to be in our room at noon and they would come to change our rooms and they did...took about 30 mins...great service. Rooms were very nice. Talked to one couple that had $1000 cash stolen out of their 1st room suitcase....should always use the safe provided. Maid service was great..if u need anything just find a maid and ask. My husband and I thought the buffet food was more than adequate and pretty tasty too..and I am pretty picky. Although the service (water, coffee, tea & refills) was very lacking in the buffets..they didn't seem to make eye contact with patrons and were too busy setting up tables for new diners to see that you needed something...but that I blame on management. Should have been more help on duty. That would be my only complaint about the food....considering we are not responsible diners and decided not to visit any restaurants because we didn't want to be tied down to a specific dinner time...it's vacation..lol. But from the folks I talked to....they seemed to enjoy the ala cartes. From reviews I read before going, I was nervous about the bartenders...not to worry...sure, it's not like bartenders from your local watering hole that know you/your drink each time they see you and at times u feel like they could work alittle faster...but you get your drink...just be a little patient!!! Please know that certain liquor is an upcharge...like Absolute, Malibu, Johnny Walkers, Baileys...etc. But, Schmirnoff, Barcardi...etc are not. Also, only Corona on tap for beer. The lobby bar is open 24 hours and always has fresh fruit, popcorn machine, cookies, green olives, peanuts all the time...at 11pm they put pizza out...in morning they have coffee, fresh OJ, cookies & fruit. Copies of USA today in lobby by bellhops stand. Shops outside of main lobby....same stuff you can get in Playa...maybe a little more...didn't compare. Our favorite bartenders were Antonio (James Bond at theater bar), Gabriel and Marcelino at the pool bar....thanks guys for making our week soooo much fun!!! We took two excursions...Bus trip only 4 hours to Playa...to shop where we tasted different types of tequila, which was nice and shopping...not long enough for me..lol. The other was a catamaran and snorkeling for 4 hours with lunch...your cholce of hamburger, chicken breast, steak or lobster....for $95 which was well worth it...Catamaya crew are the best...alot of fun!!!! We were having such a good time that we tried extending it for a day or 2 but could not get a flight into Pittsburgh on the weekend...so we are looking to go back with friends may or june this year. Yes, it is on the large side as far as resorts go, but easy to learn your way around which made it feel not so crowded. Just know that Tropical side is the activity side and Colonial is more laid back/quiet..we liked this resort for so many reasons and feel that some of the other reviews to the contrary were either isolated events or by some people who you could never please...lol. For $1000/person all inclusive for the week...we felt we got our moneys worth, plus we met alot of great people. Also, the beach is wonderful...alittle rocky, but places to walk straight out without a bother..

Room Tip: The first floor room (which we had until we asked to be switched to 2nd floor) was next to the jungl...
1  Thank ali32019

Dear Ali:

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Bad service, watered down drinks, rude staff.... Is all I need to say. Will never return to any Barcelo as they have clearly lowered the standards of a holiday

4  Thank Boyzrfun

#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!