“Beware....”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Since I do not have time to write a BOOK...let me just warn you that this resort is somewhat of a joke! I am not even sure where to start, but our overall experience was not good, When we got there (13 of us) they had our reservations all messed up. The service from MOST of the staff was not good at all, They do not have staff waiting on you by the pool which was a first for us. They were also understaffed and very slow at the pool and swim up bar.
The food was OK....but not great by any means!
The resort is also very big so you have to walk a lot (which isn't a bad thing if you want to get in a lil exercise).
The massages were below average.
We were told we would have 2 terraces in our family suite and we did NOT!
I do NOT recommend this resort or any of them that are part of this Barcelo. Everyone we talked to while we were there had very similar, if not worse, experiences!
The best part of the trip was they did have great ice cream in the outside buffets for lunch :) That's when the machine was working!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Stephanie R
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

Firstly, we want to thank you for staying at Barceló Maya Colonial. Secondly, we also want to thank you for your significant comment which is very important for us to improve our amenities.

Thirdly, we also want to apologize for any inconvenience that you have had during your stay with us. Our hotel is working hard and putting its best effort to improve the services and products to accomplish customer’s satisfaction.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just got home today.....service was awful. I've been to Mexico several times and have never experienced what we did on this trip. We actually got eye rolls from the bartenders,it was as though we were inconveniencing them. At the restaurants we had to flag someone down to get water and on several occasions we just got up and got our own beverages. Food was lacking big time for a barcelo. Grounds were beautiful and so was the ocean. The circus show was unreal! Those people were amazing. Only good restaurant is the japanese.Our fridge never got cold. Would I go back? Yes but not to this resort.ever. I'm writing this in hopes to help out fellow travelers also, hoping the management of barcelo reads these and improves service and food quality.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jwallg
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2016

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have not been to an all inclusive since 2001, I prefer to go non all inclusive and immerse myself more in the location.
That being said overall the resort exceeded my expectations. But it also reaffirmed by thought about all inclusive resorts, not for me.
There was still the annoying saving of pool and beach chairs but that is a rant for a different forum.
We recieved the rooms that we had requested. The rooms were a typical motel style room with the exception that motels have better bedding. The bedding at the Barcelo is horrible. The sheets are like a plastic, not very comfortable at all. The room was very clean and our little fridge was always restocked.
I thought the food was very good, better then what I expected. We ate at 4 of the al a cartes and enjoyed them all. We really enjoyed the variety of food at the poolside grill
Pools are awesome and just the right temperature to cool a person down. Drink service at the pool bars however sucked. Not that the bartenders didn't work hard, the bars are simply understaffed. I am a beer drinker so it did not effect me much as the beer is on tap, self service.
The resort is huge, perhaps to big. It however is very well kept.
I was there for my nieces wedding and everything worked out great. I mc'd the wedding and the maitre de was excellent in accomodating my requests so that I could get everything completed in the short timeline I had.
Would I reccommend the resort, yes. Would I stay here again, no.

My thoughts

Room Tip: Be a pleasant traveller. We talked to the resort employees in a civil voice and made them laugh. In...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ERDFirefighter

Dear Guest:

We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a camera, phone, cigarettes, clothing stolen while in lock up. Do not check out early. Everything was rifled through and the individual could have been identified. No response from the hotel. Several emails sent to no avail. Truly sad as we paid a premium for a 5* wedding.

I have travelled extensively and never been treated this lousy. 3.5* in Cuba way out performs this group of hotels.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank HEAVEN40

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks at the Colonial (last 2 weeks February 2012) and are trying to figure out how to get enough money to go back next year!

This was our first AI experience and were unsure what to expect but were very pleased.

Room (standard room 3rd floor in the Jalisco building away from the the theatre) was always well cleaned, never saw a bug of any sort. We had requested a 3rd floor room but only a ground floor room was available at check in. This was adjusted after one night and next day by noon a 3rd floor room was ready for us. We loved the balcony and sat there in the early mornings drinking coffee and listening to the many chattering birds.

Beds are hard (see other reviews) but we still slept!

You may have to hunt down one of the cleaning staff and request face-clothes.

The fridge was stocked every day. A tip and a note of what you liked ensured you got your favorites. I loved the lime-flavoured mixed nuts and the fellow doing the re-stocking made sure we had our fill.

The service in the buffet was hit & miss. Being new to this at first we thought we might be doing something wrong? We think the staff is simply too busy setting tables and cleaning-up that they don't have the time to wait on the guests? When not at the buffet during peak times, service was excellent. The coconut ice-cream is wonderful.

The buffet food was OK....not special but not bad.

Lots of fun watching Esau cook eggs at the breakfast buffet.

Beach was great. Always able to find 2 chairs. Snorkeled right out front around the reef near volley ball nets and by the dock. Plenty of fish to see. Go to Costco (or your favorite place to shop for snorkel gear) and buy your own snorkel gear and snorkel whenever you want. Yes, we did the towel game some mornings but could still find chairs if we didn't get out early. It was difficult getting a chair near the pool but by mid to late afternoon we would sometimes move from the beach to the pool and could find chairs. (some folks we talked to get up at 0600 to secure their pool chairs).

Took a Bubba-Keg and always had water and ice to drink.

Beach cleaners were always busy walking around and I swear they were always pleased to pick up your cup! So pleased it was embarrassing.

Tried 5 (Seafood, Mexican, Italian, Steak House, Japanese) Ala-Cartes enjoyed them all. Nice change from the buffet to be waited-on. I liked my lobster at the Mare Nostrum. Had no problem booking the dinners. We booked the first day we arrived. A couple of nights were early but I can't think of a reason to complain about that?

Grounds are beautiful and workers always doing something to keep this place spotless and stunning.

Took the colectivo to Playa Del Carmen twice, once to Tulum and once back from the Super Chedraui market 3km away in Puerto Adventuras. We walked along the highway into Puerto Adventuras and would not recommend this! It's not the distance its the traffic on a Mexican Highway......thus the colectivo back to the resort! You should try out the colectivo, price is great (30 Pesos) and the experience is fun.

Watched the Fireflies (no fireflies in Northern Canada) at night jet around the golf-course.

Shops were fun to walk through but pricey. Still festive at night with the lights and music.

Overall our experience was great. Staff friendly. Grounds beautuful and rooms clean.

Yep, we'd go back.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the 3rd floor and private balcony. Jalisco building is away from theatre and quieter at nigh...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NorthernBert

Dear Guest:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Have been to mexico 22 times. First at Barcelo, and needless to say the LAST!! They need a big lesson on service and quality of service, and how to treat people.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Trendsettertraveler

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were a little skeptical about having chosen this place for our vacation in October as the pictures online showed an outdated resort with a decent amount of amenities. All round we had a wonderful time!

LOCATION:
An hour plus bus ride from the airport, but with a few cervezas on the bus...time flies. You're close to Tulum for some ruins sightseeing, as well as 20 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen.

DECOR:
We stayed in a beautifully, updated room. The fridge was stocked each day with beer, soft drinks, etc. The decor was great not only in the room, but also the entire resort was furnished well.

POOLS:
Loved the pools and you're always a hop, skip and a jump away from any swim up bar. You never have to fight for a lounge chair or a hammock.

BEACH:
It's pretty...BUT the white sand is grainy (not powder like); the water isn't crystal clear. It didn't stop us from enjoying some beach time however and walking along the stretch.

ENTERTAINMENT:
It's cheesy. This is an all-inclusive, so are you really surprised? I've never been a fan of all the shows, but the seating and theatre are large in size and well equipped.

FOOD & DRINK:
There are only so many burritos and enchiladas a girl can eat. The food was ok. Flavour was missing from most meal (I thought the Mexican a la carte was hands down the best). Seafood place was fishy, but the dessert spectacle was good. The Japanese restaurant was your typical trip to Benihana. Drinks were strong, but not as delicious as they could have been.

This is a very family oriented resort, so if you're a couple looking for some peace, quiet and romance...you might want to venture down the coast to the Dreams resort instead, where it's adults only. All in all however, we had a great trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Belo M

Dear Becca:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!