“Great place to Stay”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary, Canada
“Great place to Stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Loved this place, the beach was good, free massage on the beach one day!

There are pools and the beach, we enjoyed the dive shop area where we kayaked, used the water bikes and wind surfing. No extra charge for those.

The food was just average in the buffet, but at least we didn't gain weight on the vacation! The a la carte restaurants were VERY good, great service, great food! The buffet's were really close to the beach so we could go grab a snack whenever. The best part was the self serve bar - we could drink all the water and pop we wanted, we had virgin pina colada's for the kids, and we could add our own alcohol, or you could have the bartender serve you drinks.

The rooms were really nice, AC, bar fridge, lots of room and in room safe. It was really clean, which is huge in my books! I would love to go here again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank worldtravellers4
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 23 June 2016
Dear worldtravellers4:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Barcelo Maya Colonial resort is a great place to take the family for a week getaway on the beautiful Yucatan peninsula! The resort is all inclusive with great food and drinks. The buffet offers a wide variety of foods and everyone is sure to find something they like. There are also four restaurants on site that can be reserved (be sure to make reservations ASAP!). The food at the restaurants was above average but not outstanding. The steakhouse restaurant was a big disappointment and I do not recommend it. As expected, drinks were free and be acquired at the pool bars, restaurants, buffet, and the 24 hour lobby bar. The resort grounds are extremely well taken care of and offers a lush tropical paradise. The pool system was terrific though the water was a bit warm and the swim up bar was very very convenient. The beach is SUPER nice with shaded areas and a nice reef to snorkel. There is also a pier a short distance down the beach where you HAVE to go and see the hundreds of fish swimming around. The all inclusive also gives you access to non-motor water sports such as kayaking and catamarans. The catamarans were a favorite for me as you can take them a decent ways out to sea! Be sure to book lessons and reservations for the catamarans early though as they usually book up! My family also decided to upgrade to a premium waterfront suite which gave us free access to top shelf alcohol and room service. I DO NOT recommend the upgrade. The room service is worthless when you can just go to the buffet and the top shelf alcohol really isn't necessary. Furthermore, the room wasn't worth it either as you only get a little extra room and an extra shower head; the view of the ocean isn't that outstanding either. Overall, the resort is terrific and was a great place to getaway for a week. HOWEVER, if you are young and looking to do a bit of partying then I suggest staying closer to Cancun or Playa del Carmen as there is nightlife up that way. There isn't anywhere around the resort to go (except for the club on the grounds which is OK) and you are pretty much stuck on the resorts. Therefore, if you're a young group looking to go out and party then stay closer to the cities but if you're a family-oriented group then this is the PERFECT place to stay!

Room Tip: Don't go oceanfront for the extra money! It's not worth it. Save that money for excursions!
3 Thank Lucas L
Dear Lucas:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We've been to the Barcelo twice (Tropical/Colonial portion) and we LOVE it! The complex is HUGE and it makes for great exploring and moving about while enjoying yourself. The beach is expansive and the snorkeling is pretty good right off the Colonial/Tropical portion. Whether you want to get away and just lay on the beach or party the Barcelo is the place to do it! You have to experience it for yourself and I highly recommend you do!!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the Jr. suite rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank breb
Dear Breb:

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I were married in May at the Barcelo Colonial. I had been to the Beach resort before, and so we decided to have the wedding somewhere that we knew was amazing. The landscaping, cleanliness, and food choice are immaculate, and one of the reasons that we chose to have the wedding there. We had 55 guests, and the hotel was very organized when we arrived. The price difference between the Beach and the Colonial definitely worth it. The lounge and buffet being air conditioned is just one of the many reasons we are glad we upgraded. Our guests were all blown away with the beauty of the resort, and the friendly staff. Our wedding coordinator, Lillian was beyond amazing. I had been emailing her for almost a year prior to our arrival, and she had already done so many things to make my day perfect. We only had to take a couple hours out of the entire vacation to meet with her and the photographer. She took care of EVERY detail. Nobody had to worry about a thing while we relaxed all the way up to the ceremony. We were supposed to have fans laid out on the chairs at the ceremony, but it rained a lot so without even asking me (worrying me) she kept them and placed them on the plates at the reception dinner instead. It was adorable, and a detail that I'm glad she didn't worry me over. She seemed to try really hard to make our day the best it could be. Our day turned out absolutely perfect. The photographer, Lucy (from smile market on the resort) was also tremendous. The photos turned out amazing. The dinner at the reception was delicious and the DJ had my entire party dancing the entire night when dinner was over!! The staff was so friendly and playful and we couldn't have asked for a better wedding week!!!! Thank you Barcelo!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank KiSha49
Dear Kisha49:

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Every aspect of this hotel was bad. Food, service, drinks, etc I've never had such poor treatment. We did not feel welcome or for that matter safe. most of the staff had a poor time communicating in english. I would suggest you stay in a Hilton or Hyatt or another American hotel chain. In the past we stayed at both of these American hotel chains and were very happy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Dennis L
Dear Dennis:

Best Regards.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I recently got married at the Barcelo Maya Colonial resort (July 13-20). We had 28 people travelling with us and overall the trip was very good. If I were to do it all over again I would definietly not hesitate to come back here, however if I was going on a trip with just me and my wife I would choose another resort.

Pros

- The resort is huge, nice big pool, huge beach
- Jaguars (the night club) is phenomenal, great dj, great atmosphere and huge dancefloor. Major plus with a large group of people looking for a great time.
- Lobby bar is a great meeting place for a large group (or just a couple) to meet and hang out. Great service.
- Wedding was amazing, the wedding coordinator was considerate, accomodating and generally made sure everything was taken care of. She worked very hard to ensure we didnt have to. The day was a huge success and I give her a lot of credit. Food was great during the wedding, best I had of the week. Drinks were great. The DJ was incredible, it was an awesome party for us and very private. The ceremony was on the beach with the reception in a private lounge area.
-Food is generally ranges from good to very good. Restaurants are clean, staff is prettty attentive.
-Spa was excellent

Cons

- Check in/out service is very slow. Not many reception staff and even during the summer when the resort isnt full it was very slow to get anything done at reception. If there is a problem with your room (and there most likely will be) dont expect it to get fixed quickly.
- Service is generally average. Restaurant service is good, but responding to calls about room issues and/or laundry etc was quite slow.
- Almost every single room for our group (had one issue or another ranging from slightly annoying (key card doesnt work properly) to very problematic (safe doesnt work properly). The other problem is that staff response to these issues is slow. Dont expect a resolution quickly (took over 3 hours for the room with the safe issue) and if you need to change rooms expect to do it the next day and spend a couple hours dealing with it then.
- Resort is huge, expect to do lots (and I do mean lots) of walking around the resort getting to and from places.
- Reservations for restaurants was super annoying. They booked all our dinner reservations for us and changing them was quite a hassle or generally impossible. What makes this more infuriating is that you would go to a restaurant and the place would be empty. There was a few times the staff would help us an make an exception but generally the reservation system is a con.

Even
-Liqour has a wide variety. Some drinks are very good, some are pretty bad. You have to be very specific what brand of liquor youre looking for. If they use the cheap stuff, it can be pretty bad. Overall though I would say it's a wash.
- Cleanliniess was a draw as well. Generally everything was quite clean but we did find some sheets with stains on them and what not.

In conclusion, as I stated at the start, My pros far out weigh the cons as far as a large group is concerned. Everyone had an amazing week, the wedding was outstanding and if we had to plan another beach wedding we would go back in a hearbeat. But the various small issues do add up and would prevent me from ever coming back here on my own.

3 Thank DamianK321
Dear Damian:

Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Reviewed 29 July 2012

First my room was not ready when I arrived. I was told the room was not ready due to the hotel being overbooked. The staff was not understanding and downright rude. What a way to start your vacation. They wanted a copy of my passport which I thought was odd (Identity Theft). The service was terrible. I was told that they do not staff for the additional guests. It was almost impposible to get a drink. They do not have waiters at the pool or beach. You had to wait in a line at the bar where one bartender was trying to keep up. This just led to him rushing your drink at it not tasting right. You have to make reservations at the a la carte restraunts or you have to eat at a terrible buffet. They ran out of towels at the pool area. The rooms do not have a good view. The staff was so unfriendly in the restraunts. Everything felt rushed.

I have stayed at other resorts in the area and this was just a plain miss. Too bad. Just stay away...

Room Tip: There is no good rooms other than the one Master suite in each building. And that does not have a c...
9 Thank CanadianZG

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!