“All-Inclusive does not include quality, attitude or service”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed 1 August to 5 August 2012. Terrible customer service attitude! It felt like I registered for a jail term of bad service, quality, food and hand-outs which I paid for. They treat it as a volume business and don't really care. A ready smile and greeting are extremely hard to come by but rudeness is second nature to the staff here. Hard to get specialty restaurant availability. You have to line up for water sports. Buffet quality was so-so. Room smelled musty and dank. Beach was so-so only. Stayed at Westin Resort and Spa Cancun from 28 July 2012 before moving to Barcelo. Despite the all-inclusive and activities, even my 11 and 12 year kids preferred the Westin location! There are much better locations and experiences anywhere else in Cancun!

9  Thank DPLosAngeles
BMAYAFASEII, Propietario at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Colonial

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have stayed at this hotel over the last Thanksgiving holidays for 10 days. I usually stay at Iberostar hotels, but this year I've decided to try Barcelo because I've heard it had the best beach in Rivera Maya. I think this is definitely true--beach was by far superior to both Iberostar Paraiso complex and Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal, not as good as Punta Cana beaches, but definitely the best I've seen in Rivera Maya. Food was very good and, in my opinion, is just slightly inferior to Iberostar. I did have difficulties making specialty restaurants reservations even though I tried to make them on the 1st day and was flexible with my time of seating--this was never an issue at Iberostar. This was not a deal breaker for me since I thought that buffet food was very good for dinner and did not mind eating there. We stayed at Jalisco building--I thought rooms were much better positioned than at Iberostar, were surrounded by more vegetation and offered more privacy. I did not hear any noise from the theater in Jalisco building, but there were rooms Guahajulto (spelling?) building that faced the theater directly and I would imagine they get lots of noise during nightly shows and mid-day rehearsals--I would definitely request to be away from theater especially if traveling with small children. Waterpark was great and kids really liked it. Their kids club seemed to have lots of activities going on and staff seemed very nice. We did not use it except for one time when my oldest son wanted to decorate/make cookies there and play water games--he had a very good time! We took full advantage of their complimentary water sports--water bicycles were the most popular with my children. We walked to both Palace and Beach/Caribe sections and concluded that we liked Colonial better by far. Beach seemed better by Caribe/Beach, but it was also much more crowded there. Colonial's beach is also good. However by the Palace beach seemed much worse and waters more rough.
Customer service was great throughout the resort--we did not have a single complaint. Overall, I liked this resort much better than the other ones I've stayed at at Rivera Maya and so did my family--I am already planning my return trip there. Book with confidence--you will love it!

Room Tip: Request room away from the theater
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
17  Thank shine_on_you
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned from our trip to the Barcelo Riveria Maya property. I have to say, I was very impressed by the property. It was very well taken care of and the people work rather hard.

The rooms where quiet spacious (we where a family of 4 : 2 adults, 2 kids - ages 7-9). Keep in mind, we never spent any time in the room, only to sleep.

We happen to be there when Ernesto hit and the works at the property where very calm. They didn't have a problem with the rain and the winds. They kept saying, it's not big deal and at the end they where right.

As for the food that the property. The buffet places that where near the beach (Which they considered snack bars) where ok. Nothing great!!! The indoor buffet that was in the Colonial section of the resort which had air conditioning, was better. It was pretty much what the people where saying, nothing great, but it wasn't horrible,

Now the speciality restaurants (which was the Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Seafood, etc...) where very good!!! The Mexican was pretty good, but not fantastic compared to the Japanese and Seafood!!! Those were really good!!! Since we stayed their for 6 nights, we where entitled to eat at any 3 of the speciality restaurants!! Also, keep in mind, that at the speciality restaurants, men are asked to wear long pants and closed shoes. Even though we saw other people dressed in shorts, the majority of the people, did dress appropriately.

The beach was very beautiful and the same with the pool!!! The kids water playground was a big hit. The only problem, is that at the bottom of the water slides didn't have cushions, so a few kids did get hurt, if they weren't sliding on the slides properly!!! But that is more of the parents fault, because I would see kids going down the slides face first, which wasn't a good idea!!! They did have life guards at the kids area, but you really can't depend on them, they weren't doing much, and they would help when someone would get hurt, but they needed more of them stationed at the kids area to warn the kids to go down properly!! But the lifeguards probably figure, we are not going to babysit all these kids.

My kids also went to the Barcy Club, which was pretty good. They did a lot of different things with the kids. They only went their for 2 days (which where the days that Tropical Storm Ernesto was coming). It was better than hanging out at the room and doing nothing. I did let them go to a couple of things during the days that where nice, so they could play outside, since I want the kids to enjoy the great weather and not stay inside.

All in all, I would return to this property again. It was a great value for our money!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, request one away from the theater.
3  Thank Christine47727

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial July 31-August 6, 2012. The grounds are very beautiful. The problems with this resort are with the service. If you have any problems here do not expect much help from the front desk. At some points, they were completely rude. Our room was close to the theater, which makes it very difficult to go to sleep before 11:00. If you have kids, this can be an issue, especially after they have been in the sun and water all day. We asked to change rooms after the first night, but had to wait another night before we switched rooms. Our new room was quieter, but water poured from the light fixture in the bathroom above the tub. We alerted the front desk at 9:45p.m., but maintenance did not show up until 12:20a.m. We had sleeping kids in the room and asked them to fix it in the morning. They did not show up and we had to call again when the leak started again the next night. Another problem we had was wit dirty bed sheet when we got to our room. We asked for a clean one and that did not happen. On the positive side, it is so beautiful here. Also, we enjoyed the food at the Japanese, Italian, and Steakhouse restaurants.

4  Thank gotravel56
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2016

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We traveled to barcelo colonial 30 July 12 thru 5 aug 12. It started bad right off the get go, we arrived early and were suppossed to have private check in. Didn't have that, it took us an hour to check in. Some of our rooms were wrong, they were suppossed to be double beds. when I asked to get them fixed the front desk person told us just because your travel agent asked for it doesn't mean you will get them. I was like really? I talked to a manager he said he would work on it. Asked for four days in a row never got fixed, never even got a response from them. Place is beautiful but so are many other resorts. No wait staff around pool area, no bar on beach or wait staff either. Very understaffed bars, takes awhile to get drinks. Really disappointing to have to get up all the time to get drinks. Other resorts that are in the same category have much better service and have waitstaff in pool areas and beach. Food is average, but this place is suppossed to be five star? Really hard to get dinner reservations, and when we did two times they did not even have our reservations so we had argue to be seated, then we're treated not so great. Took two hours to eat both nights. Overall it is an average hotel, not a five star. Service is really lacking, front desk is really crappie, and food is ok. If you have a choice go some where else. Iberostar riviera maya is a great. DO NOT GO TO BATCELO!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Reno146
BMAYAFASEII, Propietario at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2016

Dear Reno:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at Barcelo Colonial July 27 - Aug 4, 2012. I traveled with my 20 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter. This was our 5th time to the Riveria Maya area, and my first time staying at Barcelo. I read many negative reviews on here about poor service, poor food as well as other types of complaints. My first thought was that some people just like to complain. Well, it turns out that we experienced many of the same issues, but I'll start with the positives. The resort itself is beautiful. Our room was nice and the grounds were immaculate and gorgous. The beach was the nicest I have been to, especially on the far south end of the resort by the Caribe/Beach section. There were many pools. The ones by the Colonial/Tropical section were huge, and there is also a really nice area especially for little ones with regular slides and tube slides, but it was very crowded in that whole area. The pools by in the Caribe/Beach section were much less crowded than by Colonial/Tropical. They have bottled water at all the bars, which I did not experience at the other resorts I stayed at in the area. There are plenty of lounge chairs, but if you want one in the shade in the Colonial/Tropical pool area, you better be out there before 9am. The shaded areas by the Caribe/Beach pools were wide open, no need to get there early. If you want shade on the beach, you have to move your chairs around to follow the shade from the palm tress as the sun moves as there are not huts or umbrellas. Plenty of room on all the beaches. We like to be extremely lazy, so I don't have input on activities. Now the bad....The service was terrible and the food was average at best. We always found something decent to eat, but compared to other resorts we have stayed at, the food was poor at the buffets with minimal selection. We ate at the Steakhouse and Italian sit down restaurants and the food there was really good. Make your reservations for any of the sit down restaurants the minute you get there. We did, and we had no problem getting a decent time, which was one of the complaints I read here. Service....nowhere near what I would expect from a 4 or 5 star resort. There was always a massive line at the front desk because most of the time there were only 1 or 2 people working the desk. Other staff members would come out from in back to talk to one of them for a minute, but they would just go in back again instead of helping with the crowd of people. We arrived at 2:30 (check-in is 3:00) and were told our room would not be ready til 4:30. At 4:30 we were told it was still not ready and after some discussion they gave us a different room that was ready, and it was fine. Our room keys would not work and had to have them reprogrammed 3 times before 1 would work. I say 1, because the 2nd one did not work but I was just happy to finally have 1 that did. Our room had 2 beds and a futon. My daughter slept on the futon, but there was no pillow or blanket for her. We asked 3 times for those things but never got them. I had to go track down a housekeeping person myself to get them. Twice the houskeeper took our towels that were hanging by the shower and did not leave new ones. Twice the sheets on the bed had blood stains. We had previously stayed at the Grand Palladium (twice), Princess and Ibeorstar. At all those resorts there were waitors/waitresses that would approach you in the lobby and pool area asking if you wanted drinks. None of that here. Nobody was around, you had to go to the bar yourself, and the bars usually had only one bartender working and a zillion people waiting. And they did not pay any attention to who was there first. Compared to the other resorts we have stayed at, this just did not measure up on the food and service. I am not the complainer type, I can easily go with the flow, and understand I am not the only one there looking for service. But I would recommend going to Grand Palladium instead of Barcelo. The only thing better at Barcelo was the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank MarkAC61

Dear guest:

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Our family stayed at these two resorts in early July 2012. Our son and wife and two grandchildren had two rooms in the Caribe for 9 days while my wife and I stayed in the
colonial for 17 nites. The rooms were both large and modern and kept clean everyday by the
maids who were very friendly. The beach is fabulous and there are plenty of beach chairs.We ate at the Tropical air condioned buffet and everyone had plenty to eat and the food was always fresh. We also ate at the buffet some nites and found that it always had a great selection of food. We also ate at all the restaurants except the Mexican. They were all very good with excellant service. The bars were all good we had many Mudslides and Mango Tangos. Thiis was our third trip in one year to Barcelo and we already have another two weeks planned with another couple in October of this year. Quite a few of the staff remembered us from our previous visits and thanked us for visiting again. All the staff were very friendly and would say hello. I wish to especially thank David Nelson and Luis Garcia who made every attempt to make our stay enjoyable.
The only shortcomings the place has is that the beds are quite hard and the TV does not carry Fox News. We were stuck with CNN over and over each day.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!