“UNBELIEVABLE”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Just got back from the Barcelo Colonial in Riveria Maya, Mexico. Here's my analysis:

1.) Flew through Mexico City (on Delta then Aero Mexico). Avoid if you can. Once you arrive you go downstairs and go to immigration. Then you find your bag and put it on a conveyor belt. Next you go upstairs to the domestic terminal and catch your flight. Kind of a pain.
2.) When you walk through the airport in Cancun you will see 2 groups of people with ID's around their neck all dressed alike. KEEP WALKING. They will ask you which shuttle service you are looking for, forget them. They want to pitch you timeshare. Go outside and you will have someone holding up a sign with either your name or the transportation service. Ours was Olympus. They were very professional and courteous.
3.) It's a long ride to the resort. Try to relax. Took us about 2 hours. You will go through 2 police checkpoints but because you are in a tourist vehicle they wave you right through.
4.) The resort, WOW! A bright, beautiful, open air lobby. A beautiful huge carving was behind the reception desk. Check-in was effortless and they gave us a drink while they explained the paperwork. We were upgraded to the Colonial because the Caribe was being renovated. It was late and we were starving and tired, no problem Senor, leave your bags here and go to the buffet. Once they put the bracelet on our wrist we went to the buffet. Dinner was great. Lots to choose from and I, being a health nut found plenty. After dinner we went to our room. My wife and I both paused at the front door. Again, WOW! Great room, it was big, had a tub with a shower, a separate shower nice size bathroom countertop and a glass sliding door which is where the toilet was located. Our room looked out to the pool and to my surprise, it was very quiet.
5.) Yes, they have two 24 hour bars. How perfect is that!
6.) Beautiful beach. The property is actually 3 in 1. Caribe has the best beach, long, wide and flat. Getting into the water on the Colonial side is tricky (lots of rocks) and there is a steep drop off 6-8 feet from the waterline, be careful.
7.) The buffet is excellent. Your on vacation, have a mimosa or three. Want an egg white omelet? No problem. Want smoked salmon in it? No problem, you will find it on the middle island (where you get your plates) and the cook will add it to your veggies.
8.) Ready for some sun? Plenty of chairs available at both the beach and pool.
9.) Need a drink? Go to the swim-up bar for a few cocktails. Oh, there are two swim-up bars.
10.) The restaurants require reservations. I overslept and missed the seafood restaurant reservation (too many mosquito coasts!) but went to the Japanese steakhouse. My wife and I were the only ones at the table and that made the show even more special. Food was pretty good.
11.) I workout 5 days/week and believe it or not, I wanted to workout while on vacation. The resort gym was beyond my expectation. Open air, pretty well equipped. Dumbbells only go up to 50, no Olympic bar but they have a Smith machine. With some modifications I could do my regular workout. They have a cooler full of bottled water and towels are within reach. After working out I went to the steam room. Couldn't ask for more.
11.) My two very minor complaints:a.) the bartenders will not pour you a strong drink. You really need to stay on them if you want it strong. b.) I wish the reservation agent told me about the black bracelet before our last day at the resort. The black bracelet gets you access to as many passes to the restaurants to match the nights you are on the property. It also gets you free room service, free wifi and the top shelf alcohol. The cost is $40/day but you may be able to negotiate it down to $30.
The Barcelo properties generally cater to a Spanish clientele, but you will be treated like gold. Most of the staff speaks English and those that can't access those that can. Be friendly, give a dollar or two tip to those that you interact with and you will have a great time. If you have a question or a problem, find a manager. They will be more than happy to take care to address your needs.

Room Tip: Pool side was quiet. Could be because it was off-season. Ask for hand towels, our disappeared after...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank hotlantajohn
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2016

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Tropical the week of October 12, 2012. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were amazing. We enjoyed our first floor room in the Yucatan Bldg and did not find the noise of the theatre disturbing. We were not back in our room until later in the evening. If you are traveling with children you may want another location in the resort. Room was good, not luxury but very nice. Food was good and plenty of choices, Restaurants we enjoyed were the Japanese and seafood. Staff was more than accomodating and always had a smile and were always there to help. Check in was smooth and we had a private transfer from Cancun. (highly recommend) Olympus was prompt and courteous. Took a taxi into playa and enjoyed the day. Best excursion was Catamaya.net out of Puerto Adventura. Snorkling, full sail and wonderful staff made a great day. We traveled with 4 family members and would definately go again. Hardest working staff on the Mexican Rivera. Polls were great and swim up bar was convenient. Luis (Red Head) was a blast. Beach was the best I have seen on the resort side. A little rocky but plenty of places close to get into the water without any problem. Water was like an aquarium with fish swiming all around you. Bring a banana from the grill to feed them. Lots of places to snorkel, especially around the pier. For the money you can't beat this place, have no reservations and don't listen to those who complain about everything. We have been to all inclusives all over Playa, Puerto Adventura etc and loved it.

Room Tip: Did not see ocean front rooms, all looked about the same
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank VirginiaYeamon

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Best Regards.
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous grounds. The rooms aren't total luxury but definitely okay for the money. Specifically we had a small leak in the bathroom whenever we flushed the toilet in the handicap room at the Tropical Resort. Had trouble controlling temp in room as well.
But, the grounds and lobby made up for that. Pools were awesome. My only complaint was that jacuzzi at main pool was not HOT.
Bars were great. Wonderful service and delicious drinks!
Restaurants were amazing!! Loved them all equally and the service was fantastic. Buffets were good too. Lots of choices. Never went hungry and always satisfied!
Beach was gorgeous. Not as pretty as Playa Del Carmen but quite lovely with warm water and GREAT snorkeling at the pier and at the coral reef to the left of pier facing ocean, Just ask the employees to show you. Incidentally, a member of my party had a hard time in the water and everyone nearby came to his immediate aide. Well, everyone EXCEPT the tourists who just watched his struggle. The people who LIVE here are wonderful!!
Hotel's best feature are the PEOPLE who work there. VERY accommodating, cheerful and helpful in every way. Thank you EVERYBODY at the Tropical for making my stay very enjoyable. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are not much of a walker ask for a room near the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank caligirl183

Reviewed 15 October 2012

First off I want to say that this was my first International trip, and my first time at an AI. I did A LOT of research before I booked anything and from other reviews, and info I found online, Barcelo seemed to be the best "bang for your buck"...now here is how I feel after I went (September 7-14th):

The standard room was very comfortable. I suppose it was a bit dated, but that really didn't bother me at all. Everything was very clean and orderly which is what really matters to us. I had read in other reviews that the bed was too hard to sleep on, and while I did think it was a bit on the hard side, it was still very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping at all. We often slept in till the late morning, and were never disturbed (we put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door). The mini fridge was refilled everyday with everything we used which was great! There are usually 6 beers, about 6 varying sodas, 4 juice boxes, and 2 packets of DELICIOUS peanuts (you have to try them!!). Our room was not facing the theater, so noise was not an issue at all, though since we did visit the theater often, if you have kids or like to go to bed early, I would recommend getting a room away from the theatre because it is loud till about 11-11:30 or so. The bathroom was very nice, it was updated with granite counters and all! The channels on the TV are limited to about 6 in English, but hey, you are in Mexico after all!

The grounds were just BEAUTIFUL! Everything was very clean and well kept. We almost always saw someone tending the grounds every time we went out. And 4 out of the 6 nights we were there, when we were out late at night (about 1 am) they were always buffing and cleaning the floors. We tipped the floor guy multiple times because he was literally drenched in sweat every time we saw him and he worked super hard to clean the floors that were barely even dirty! They are all such hard working people!

The shows were GREAT! Some of them were a but cheesy, but that was what made it all the more fun! They have tons of professional dancers and they work REALLY hard during each show...they all seem to love their jobs too which makes it that much more enjoyable. They had a different show each night, and we enjoyed them all so much, we went to every single one while we were there! The bartenders at the bar in the theater were the ABSOLUTE BEST!!! They took care of everyone, and remembered your drinks and all. We tipped them all VERY well because it is people like them that make your trip memorable and that much more fun! They are GREAT!!

The beach is SPECTACULAR!!!! We walked the entire beach, from the Palace, to the Colonial/Tropical to the Beach/Caribe. It was amazing!!! I had read good reviews of the beach and read that the Beach/Caribe has the best beach of all, which it true! There are absolutely no rocky spots on the beach or in the water. We mostly stayed at our own beach (C/T) as the few minimal rocky patches didn't both us or hinder out beach time, but the few times we walked the beach it was all just great! The Palace beach is definitely more rocky than any other beach, but it was the BEST for snorkeling, we saw about 6 Sea Turtles just in one day! I couldn't have been happier!! On a side note, I had read a few reviews about how you could feel the concrete blow the sand in spots, which was true, but it was only up by the palm trees where most people lay in loungers anyway, the beach itself it great...there was about 40 feet of beach from the water towards the resort until you hit concrete, so don't let that change your decision about going here, it is GREAT!

The pools are HUGE!! We went to every resort to check out the pools and they are all HUGE! We didn't really swim in the Beach/Caribe pools, as it was kind of a long walk from out room, but they looked just as great as the Colonial/Tropical. I personally liked the tropical better just because it seemed cleaner and it was bigger (it has the activates pool attached to it), but it is more active with music and staff, so if you want quiet, go Colonial. :) The pool bars were large and well staffed. The bar at the Colonial was kinda dirty though, there was black stuff in the white grout which sort of bothered my husband and I after a while, so we stopped going to the pool side of the bar and instead just got out of the pool and walked to the other side to get drinks. But overall, the pool is clean, its just the bar area that could use a scrubbing. :)

The restaurants were great! We only visited 3, as that was all we were allowed with our stay, but the service and food were perfect! We had no trouble getting any reservations either! We went to the Japanese, Seafood, and Spanish (located at the B/C). The Japanese is to die for, it was SO incredibly good!! The Seafood was our second favorite, my husband had the lobster (YUM!) and I had the Shrimp (better than the Lobster I thought!), and the Spanish was our last. I had chicken at the Japanese while my husband had Salmon and they were both SOOO good, I wish we could have gone to the Japanese restaurant more than once! At the Spanish restaurant, I had steak (which was actually very good, I just enjoyed the other restaurants better), and my husband had some sort of pulled pork, which was also good.

The buffets were good, not great, but definitely not bad. I don't expect a whole lot in a buffet, because, well it's a buffet! Things cooked in mass quantities are usually not as tasty as a single portion meal, but with that being said, the buffets where still very good and exceeded my expectations! There was always something you could find to eat as the buffets are HUGE! I liked how they had different theme nights with different things, but still had some of the same things too so if you really liked something, it was usually still there to eat. The service at the buffets were great as well, they are very eager to serve and get you anything you might need.

The Disco was pretty lame every night we went, but I am guessing that is because we went in "low season." One of the bartenders told us in high season, they get to capacity and can't even let anyone else in! I wish it was a bit busier, but that it not anything the resort can control. The waiters at the disco were great, they all had great service and were very nice!

The shops on site are also great, the people are really nice and always want to sell you something, but if you say no, they don't bother you anymore, which is nice too. The little booths in the center are more likely to haggle with you on prices, but we were also able to haggle in a few of the shops too, so we were happy customers all around! :)

A few side notes about the resort:

It is definitely family friendly as they have a "kids club" for daycare and a waterpark for kids, so be careful in high season if you don't want kids everywhere. (My husband and I went in low season because of this since we don't have kids and didn't really want to be around them.)

The staff also informed me that it can be crazy in high season so it does take longer to get drinks, or hard to get reservations, etc. so keep that in mind if you plan to go in high season as it is a huge resort.

The resort is VERY large. We did like the idea of having so many options because of it's size (restaurants, bars, activities, water sports) but it is big so if you want to check it all out and do activities and such at each/both resorts (B/C and T/C) be prepared to walk. We liked walking though because it kept the "vacation weight" off! :)

While we didn't have any trouble checking in (I have read multiple other reviews of people having a terrible time checking in/out) we did go in low season, so that is probably why. It took about 10 minutes to check in (at about 6 pm) and about the same to check out (at about 11 am).

Some reviews complained about not being able to get a table at an al a carte, but then seeing there are multiple empty tables later when they walk by...this is true, but the reason is because with Club Premium, the guests get "automatic" reservations at the al a cartes so they have to keep some tables open for the Club Premium guests which didn't bother us, those people paid for the upgrade, so they should have the privileges that come with it. :)

Overall, this resort was FANTASTIC and I will definitely return!!!! I HIGHLY recommend going! Though I haven't been in high season, from what I have read and heard from the staff, low season is the way to go....but either way, I would return in a heartbeat, BARCELO IS GREAT!! :D

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Tiffany C

Dear Tiffany:

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed in October with Husband and two kids (9 and 12). We don't normaly stay at the same place twice just because we like to try new places, but we are already planning a return trip to this resort. As previous reviews have stated the complex is beautiful, great pools (my 9 year old loved the kids area) rooms spacious enough and very clean. Food is good, we liked the seafood (fresh lobster) and steakhouse the best with the Italian being our least favorite. We are beach people and we were not dissapointed! This was the best beach we have seen in Mexico. Great snorkeling saw tons of fish, sea turtles, even a nurse shark. Since 1/3 of the resort was closed down due to slow season you could walk over to that section of beach and it was like having a private beach, really lovely. Yes some areas were a little rocky, but we always wear water shoes as we have found in the past a cut foot can ruin a beach vacation. Only made it to a couple shows (kids were exhausted at the end of the day) but was impressed with the talent and the band!
Tips: If wash cloths are important to you, bring your own, we did not see one the entire trip. Others have made mention of hard pillows, thought this was someone being picky...not so much. By the end of the week wished we would have made room for pillows from home in our suitcases. We needed to get internet one day and decided to go with the $12 for 24 hour in room wifi. The girl at the front desk told us we should have received some coupons in our check-in package for 24 hours of wifi for $2. When we told her we had no coupons like that she gave us the $2 price anyway, so be sure to look for coupons or ask about them.
My only complaint is the drinks. The house wines were pretty bad. The juices had a strange artificial sweetener kind of taste. The frozen drinks were way sweet. No worries, we just kept asking for different concoctions until we found one we liked. Mojitos and mango daiquiris were my favs and the lobby bar seemed to make better drinks than the pool bars. All the staff was great from front desk to housekeeping with NOE being our pick for best employee, super friendly and fun!!. Go, you will not be dissapointed!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank WeFlyAA4

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I love to explore but once a year I need a lay on the beach and do nothing vacation- this is the place. I took my sister in law 2 years ago and had such a great time my husband & I went in January then my brother and his kids wanted to go after hearing us rave so we all went for 6 nights Oct 3-9 2012. Per upgrading we did twice for jr suite rooms as we liked the proximity to the pool, extra ala cartes and the top shelf booze but its not imperative. Decide if you have the extra $60 per night to spend and if you do great but if not you will still love this place. This is a great upper mid tier A.I. not a uber luxury 5 star resort where you would pay way more than this. We got our deal off of cheapcarribbean.com with air and transports for about $775pp from Miami for 6 nights- keep in mind this is low sesaon.

My review of 2 years ago still applies
I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the resort was. I guess for the price I was expecting less. The lobby is impressive but not overly huge and had lovely pools and fountains. The grounds were lush and tropical, very manicured but natural. Even the hotel corridors had interesting statues tucked inside tropical vegetation. The rooms were a comfortable size with nice linens on the beds and quality towels. Beds are a little hard but ask for a mattress topper. all maid service was very prompt. The balcony was quite large and the view of the gardens very peaceful. All the amenities you would expect in room and they were generous with the free in room beverages and bottled water. What really surprised me was the food, its quality and quantity. I spent 15 years a a professional chef and have been to many all inclusives that do not compare. I had plenty of seafood ( fish, shrimp, mussell, scallops) and ethnic specialties to choose from. Often times the poolside restaurants are poor versions of the main dining room or just snack bars- not the case here. The lunch cafe is beautiful with a view of the pools and sea with great service and a huge variety. The soups were my favorite. All of the staff are friendly and helpful to make your tip stress free. My afternoons of swinging in the hammocks, swimming in the crystal clear waters of the pools and sea wont be forgotten. The beach is exactly why you come to this area, covered with palms, white sand and lots of colorful fish to entertain. The pier was great fun as it is a wonderful place to see so much marine life like rays, fish and coral. I would love to come back and have recommended this resort many times.

Room Tip: upper floors...early sleepers dont worry about being near the theater it ends at 10pm
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Squirl66

Reviewed 14 October 2012

One of the best complexes me and my husband have stayed in
You cant go wrong if you read the first choice booklet everything you read is what you get
we enjoyed this holiday very very much
Swimming pool,bars.play area. beach, very very good
Only complaint i have. was evening meal they just could not cook meats.
we are all ready saving to go back next year 2013.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!