“Great place for Pico Beach and Fun”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
New York City, New York
“Great place for Pico Beach and Fun”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial for a week in early March. I have traveled all over the world. Stayed in Many Different All inclusive resorts. This hotel I rate honesty 3 1/2 to 4 stars.
The one reason thing i must say negative (but not bad AT ALL) was the food. Lets be real this propriety is priced pretty reasonable so expect the food to be 3/5 depending on what you consider true 5 star food. In the past I have stayed at the Iberostar Grand in Rivera Maya(Rated Top resort in Rivera Maya) The food there was much better, but again this property is more then double the price then the Barcelo.
Fresh Pico and guac was amazing. Buffet food consisted of skirt steak, fries, chicken, pasta bar, different fishes, lots of fruits, and veggies. Stay away from the Mexican restaurant at the beach propriety. Its horrible!!!!!!
Steak house was ok, Jap was good, and Italian was ok.
Beach was great. lots of fish swimming by the shore line. Pool was great as well. They keep this place cleaned very well.
Rooms were pretty nice. Nice big shower, beds were comfy.
Staff at the lobby bar made my trip. LOOK FOR DAISY

Over all i would go back and recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank christianr668
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 30 May 2016
Dear christian R:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at the colonial for two weeks. We travelled with our 4 year old and 6-month old baby. We were nervous upon arriving at the airport but as soon as we met our bus guide and on the bus felt reassured that everything was going to be fine. We were the first stop about 1 hour from the airport. Thought the ride was going to be long with the kids but time flew by. Arrived at the hotel, checking was quick and easy. We LOVED our hotel room #6660. Perfect for young families who take siesta naps!! It is a corner room nestled away in the gardens away from pool and evening noise. Very comfortable and clean room with futon/sofa bed and crib. we pulled out the mattress pad under the mattress and made the bed comfortably firm (the way we like it). We were minutes walk from lobby and Buffett and 5 minutes walk to kids water park and beach. We loved the extra walking to work off the extra calories:-) Water park entertained our 4 year old EVERY day while the close by shaded lounge chairs were perfect for baby. Food was good. Lots of hot and cold selection. You'll always find something you like. I did get a 24-hour bug but no one else did...I probably over indulged and mixed too many foods. Mmmm fresh guacamole and pico di gallo...make sure to bring symptom relief mess just in case. They have everything you need but avoid spending extra money. Our 6-month old also got a cold bug (prob from plane). To be thorough we saw hotel doctor and local private hospital (20 min taxi). Everyone was AWESOME. Better and faster medical service than in Canada!!! Hospital also very well known to med insurance companies who arrange direct billing within minutes. Very professional doctors and very thorough. Even though we spent a couple days spending more time napping in room, on e we felt better we bounced back and still enjoyed the rest of our time. So much to see. We loved walking around the joining resorts exploring new facilities which were all available to us. Maintenance and house keeping were quick and thorough. Bathroom door handle jammed and they fixed it right away. Each day, we left our room at various times between 10 and 4 pm and our cleaning lady always managed to get in to tidy our room, refreshed supplies, mop floors and balcony! Also got in the evenings to leave chocolates on our pillows. The beach is incredible. Probably one of best Ive seen in greece, italy and egypt. Kids club is great with day and evening activities. My daughter loved the mini disco after dinner- great way to work them to complete exhaustion then bath and bed! Transport to airport was almost private and comfortable. I love how mexico is cognizant of people travelling with children...they put you to front of immigration and checkin line ups right away. Why cant cda learn from this? We have done Mexican all-inclusives twice before and we have already talked about coming back to barcelo. It's safe, modern, clean, predictable, comfortable and family friendly. All staff was always very accommodating. I highly recommend the cappuccinos! Even though they use Nescafé, their milk makes it delicious. What is CDN milk made of???

Cons: Loud and abnoxious people (teens) walking around in bathing suits in lobby or eating areas- that's gross and tacky- staff were quick to send them off. Lounge chairs with towels on them to reserve them...often empty most of the day! Hotel needs to resolve this. If we all didn't do this there would be ample chairs for everyone anytime anywhere!

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank TropicSoul
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 31 May 2016
Dear TropicSoul:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Three of us couples (in our 50’s and 60’s) stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial the week starting Feb 24th. We had a very good time and I would recommend it. It provided good value for the price – and had the things that I was looking for.

The Colonial is just one of four side-by-side Barcelo resorts. Each is big, so together they are massive. Collectively, they can host thousands of guests – but I never felt crowded, and we didn’t have to wait long for anything.

The complex is beautiful – with well manicured grounds, massive pools with kids play areas, etc.

The rooms were big, quite modern, and comfortable. The bed was firm, but I like that, so had no trouble sleeping. It was also quiet, since our building (and most) are far removed from the common theatre, disco, bars, etc. We got a room on the 2nd floor, because I had read some reviews about mold/smells in 1st floor rooms. Our room itself was fine, but the bathroom sometimes did smell of sewer gas - and not because of us ;-) No big deal.

The food was great. The buffet has a large variety, and most of it very good. The specialty restaurants were great. We ate at the Italian, Seafood, and Japanese ones. The service in them was excellent. The show put on by the Japanese chef was very entertaining. We didn’t reserve our restaurants until late the first day, so we got some rather late and early dinner times – but we worked around them just fine.

The drinks were good and served in normal sized glasses (although some folks brought their own big mugs which the bartenders filled for them). The bars were a little spread out, and sometimes a little busy – but if you relax and don’t be in a rush – all is good.

I was attracted to the Colonial largely because I heard it had great snorkeling and saw that it offered a good variety of water play activities. I found that the snorkeling was good, but not great. The best snorkeling was in front of the Palace resort, somewhat passed the bouy line. There is some bigger and healthier coral out there. There weren’t that many fish, but over the many times that I snorkeled, I did see a good variety of them, including some more unusual ones: a ~6’ stingray (including the tail), several sea turtles (right near the beach), a ~4’ long porcupine fish, and some trunk fish. Actually there was no point in snorkeling, or doing any other water sports for the first 2 days because of on shore winds that brough in bigger waves that also stirred up the sand ruining the visibility. When the winds swung around to off shore, things settled and snorkeling became worthwhile.

We also got out a few times (on our own) in catamarans – which was good fun. I also windsurfed a few times, but it was challenging to stay on the board when turning in the waves. (The equipment is in good shape.) They also have sit on yaks that are fun to use. Do be careful in the waves though – since they can tip over. So don’t wear glasses or other things that aren’t attached. (Our friend Ron lost his glasses :-(. Although they have water trikes, no one even used them – since during an onshore wind it it too wavy and during an offshore one – it could be hard to get back.

The beach is long and is mostly nice white sand, but in the water there is a good deal of old worn coral – so you need to be careful where you get in and out. It is best to wear water shoes.

There are other fun things you can do on site: tennis, pitch and putt golf, mini-golf, archery, pool, etc. If you like to be more active, they have beach and pool volleyball.

And we did a couple of things off-site as well. My friend and I expored a cenote (limestone cavern with water). After a short highway bus ride, and a longer (20 min?) smaller van ride along a rough road, we got to the cave system. Wetsuits, helmets with lights, watershoes and lifevests were provided. A guide led a group of about 10 of us through a series of caverns for an hour or more. You get to see stalactites and stalagmites, other limestone formations and tree roots. You mostly hike and wade your way through, but even float or swim through parts. It was a unique, fun, and educational experience.

We also enjoy playing slot machines, so shared a 20 min cab ride to the Winpot Casino, located in a shopping centre called les Centre des Americas (or something like that) in Playa del Carmen. It is a fair sized mall (even has a big Walmart owned store where I bought snorkel fins). And the Casino is clean and has lots of slot machines. It’s a bit weird playing machines that display pesos and doneros, but you soon figure out how much you want to bet. We went there twice, breaking even one time and just losing a bit another time.

We enjoyed our getaway at the Colonial. You likely will too.

2 Thank jimmarst
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 1 June 2016
Dear jimmarst:

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband, 7 month old baby and I travelled with 4 other family members from March 1-8th, 2013. This is a second time in Mexico. I preferred the last resort we stayed at, my husband liked this resort better.

We arrived at the resort late Friday March 1st. Since there were no others checking in, our check in process with seamless. They asked to see all of our passports. Not sure why they do that, I would rather give my credit card number... We got a room at Jalisco 6139. It was on the first floor and the patio overlooked a good piece of jungle area. It was private and really nice. The first night a cockroach ran from underneath the bed (which scared the your know what out of me). The next morning a giant spider was in the room. It wasn't a huge deal because we are in the jungle and we know the first floor is more prone to little scary creatures getting into your room. My husband and I like to tip the cleaning staff well, because I like a nice clean room to have a good sleep in. I found the cleaning to be a bit below average. One day the cleaning lady took our beach towels, we found her a few doors down to get the back (just so there wasn't a dispute if we never got them back and then got charged $40). The floors didn't ever seem to be clean, and even though we requested the sheets to be changed, the duvet cover never was (they had multiple stains on them). Also, for those tall travellers out there (like my husband is) the shower was perfect. I prefer lots of little buildings (we stayed at Gran Bahia Coba last year). This resort was long buildings with lots of walking, which I didn't mind at all, but it does get loud with all the late nice party-goers in the early hours of the morning.

We found the food to be pretty good. We ate at the buffet dinner twice, breakfast at the buffet everyday, lunch at the buffet and the beach grill. There was lots of variety for every person's taste. We also ate at 4 of the al la cartes. We ate at Kyoto (Japenese restaurant) - The food was excellent and the show was impressive. Marenostrum (Seafood) - I didn't enjoy the food, the soup had way way overcooked seafood. Sante Fe (Steak house) - the food overall was good, but the rib eye (I ordered) was half fat. Mariachi's (Mexican) - also the beach grill during the day). It was my favourite of the 4. It was outdoor, the food and service were the best.

The grounds were well kept and clean. The pool was beautiful right by the beach and there were always enough beach chairs for us to use. Snorkelling off the beach was great - make sure to bring water shoes because it does get rocky.

The lobby bar was enclosed, which didn't make it feel like you were at a beach resort. I preferred the Tropical beach bar. The colonial was the most central to everything (shops). The Colonial was the most family friendly, with waterslides and activities for the kids. We did the mini golf which was a lot of fun and we were able to see a lot of wildlife. I also had to see the resort Dr for an ear infection (too much snorkelling!). He was professional spoke English very well and I felt since I had to pay out of pocket before submitting it that he was honest and didn't feel ripped off.

Overall It was a great trip and the resort was very nice. Would I stay her again, probably, but we also like to try different places and resorts wherever we go.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking a little further - request to stay in Jalisco, it's much more quie...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank markandfeffer
Dear markandfeffer:

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Last year we went to Barcelo Palace it was amazing up there this year we went to Barcelo Colonial and we tried to upgrade for Palace again but it was booked . Then we upgrated for Premium club and it was amazing , we love it so much they gave us excellent deal , thank you Eduardo :) . We were there between Feb 26 - March 5 , first 2 days weather was pretty bad but finally third day was much better and rest of the week was beautiful . They are very hard working people and they deserve to be tipped . Thanks Barcelo for great vacation to bad it was to short only 1 week but next time will be 2 weeks :) . Food and service was very good , thanks again .

Room Tip: Premium club - amazing :)
1 Thank iveta k
Dear iveta k:

Best Regards,
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We've stayed at several 5 star AI resorts and although the Colonial is actually rated 4.5 not 5 that really is just a number! As far as over-all enjoyment is concerned we just love it. The service is excellent, the food is good, bar service and drinks are good, the rooms are fine, the atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious, a family atmosphere for all ages to enjoy. The beach is spectacular. Walking the resort grounds is a pleasure. I'd recommend this place to anyone who enjoys the AI type holiday in the Mayan and for whom the beach is the main thing.
My only suggestions for improvement is 1)the WiFi service. In a resort of this caliber, it should be available to guests for free in the lobby at least! and 2) the bedding and the towels are getting old.
Used USA Transfers for private transportation to and fro once more ... great!
BTW we had perfect weather and the water temp was wonderful. That always makes a huge difference as even the best resort can't compensate for terrible weather.
People with young children will appreciate the calm, gradual and shallow beach with powdery sand and the amazing pools and playgrounds.
See posted pictures by others for what the facility offers.
People from all over the world were enjoying themselves and having a great time. You should too!

Room Tip: The Jalisco section is nice and quiet and a top floor may be a bit of an advantage. There is elevato...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JBLB
Dear JBLB:

Best Regards,
Mount Forest, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial from Feb 24 to Mar 3/13. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is huge. I am a runner, and there was lots of space for that. Another bonus was the lap pool, which I used everyday. The beach is beautiful. Unfortunately, when we were there, it was very windy some of the days, so we never did any snorkeling. We could see lots of fish just standing on the dock.
The staff are amazing, very accommodating, and work very hard.
We loved all the restaurants, particularly the Asian.
It would have been nice if there was some more affordable wine for purchase. We felt it was fairly expensive. We drank the house wine, and it was okay.
One tip we got from this site, which we found very helpful, was to take the mattress topper from between the mattress and box spring and put it on top of the mattress. I do not know why it wasn't there in the first place. What a difference that made!
We were on the first floor, and we did find our room to be somewhat musty. That is not anyone's fault, it is just the climate. Maybe a room on a higher floor might be better in that regard.
If you have kids, this is a perfect place for you. They seem to have lots of kid friendly areas, like a water park and even a kids' corner in the buffet.
All in all it was a wonderful week, and I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on an upper floor. We stayed in the 6000 block, and really like that loca...
3 Thank Flora001
Dear Flora001:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

Additionally, we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

Lastly, we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards

#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!