“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Richmond, Canada
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial from Nov 26/13 to Dec 3/13. It is one of 5 hotels in a complex about 20 minutes south of Playa del Carmen.

I have stayed at this complex about 5 times and the hotels are a good mid-range properties. The food is good, there is a good standard in the rooms, and the beach is excellent.

In the colonial the rooms are a junior suite which has a sofa and chair and desk. Safety deposit box is included free, there is tv, and internet is extra (580 pesos for a week of wi fi good in the room).

I ate in the buffet and the steakhouse (Santa Fe). I would rate both as good. But understand the beef in mexico is not as good as home. But for mexico, it is good. I asked for fries and they also have a baked potato but the menu does not show these but they have them.

I am a reader and you have to learn where the book exchanges are.

In the colonial, it is located in the premium room, just ask to be let in. There is also a small bookcase in the internet room at the pool.
In the Tropical, it is located in the premium room.
In the Caribe, it is located in the premium room, with a bookshelf tucked in the tour room.
In the Palace it is located behind the employee in the internet room. They never give me a hard time about not staying at the palace.

Tips
1. Use the hot tub located in the gym
2. The sandiest beach is in front of the maya beach
3. Use the collectivos (vans) to get into playa or the ruins of tulum

I had an maintenance issue in the room and it took 3 times complaining to get it fixed...frustrating. But it is still a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank vancouverbrian1
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 24 May 2016
Dear VancouverBrian:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My family and I visited this hotel in Mid-November. The weather was beautiful and it was still low season so not too many people!
Check in was a breeze, Aldo was awesome! We were in a large group they were able to accommodate us in rooms near each other and 3rd floor as requested. We stayed in the Jalisco building which I liked it seemed like less traffic than the building near the lobby.

The grounds are immaculate. The resort is huge. The beach in front of the Colonial and Caribe/Beach are the best. hardly no rocks. The pool is great and the slides are a plus for the little guys. You can rent wave runners for a fee, I believe $65 per half hour. They also have kayaks, water trikes and hobbie cats at no charge.

The food was good, not great but good. My kids are picky eaters and they always found something to eat at the buffet.

Our room was clean and good size for four people. The only complaint is the shower. Don't shower around 5:00 your hot water will just turn off, it just stopped in the middle of shampooing my hair. It happened to everyone in our party. I'm guessing the water tank doesn't hold enough hot water and everyone is getting cleaned up around that time for dinner, this happened a couple times at the beginning of our stay. We learned quickly to come back to the room earlier to get ready for dinner.

My only warning would be to not visit the "Vacation Club" they offer tours of the resort and want to sell you a "deal" on the club premium rooms if you come back for multiple visits. We probably would have booked with them if it wasn't for the verbal attack from the "manager". He was very rude to my family when we started questioning cost. Stay away from the vacation club!!!! That's my only warning. I understand they are salesman and can be pushy, but this went beyond pushy. He was plain out rude!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jlaeb
Dear jlaeb:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Over all this was a really nice resort, the grounds are beautiful and well kept, the beach is beautiful (a bit rocky in some places) and there were always plenty of chairs on the beach and by the pools. The food is excellent, especially the a la carte restaurants. The food quality is really there, our favorite was the Japanese restaurant. Service was great, everyone was very friendly and willing to help and most of them spoke good english. We never had to wait at any of the buffets and the food rotation there was pretty good. The only down side were the rooms, we didn't really have a view of anything other then trees and we could hear everything the people next door were doing and saying. The rooms were clean and the air conditioning worked well. Overall it was a great trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DWG99
Dear DWG99:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Edmonton
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was there in November for a wedding. Overall, it is very much like the other mega-resorts in Mexico, which is to say worth the trip. But there are a few things about this resort, outside of peak season that might tip the scales toward it.

First, the staff. Taking pride in their work and always friendly. It makes a world of difference. It also makes the resort feel safer.

Second, the snacks. While the buffet breakfast is good (hard to mess up), and the buffet for lunch or supper is interesting (ala cartes offer variation), the "snack bars" provide some of the most interesting food items I've seen. Only Beaches in Turks and Caicos trumps.

Third, space (if non peak). Not having the extra load of tourists around make things feel much nicer, but toward the end of my stay two large convention/conferences arrived and things suddenly started to feel a bit tight.

The beach is decent, not overly wide, with some rocks/coral, and the water is warm with only a few places with sharper rocks underwater.

I'd certainly think to bring the family here in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Raj B
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 31 May 2016
Dear Idarknight:

Best Regards.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My boyfriend surprised me for my 22nd birthday with a trip to this amazing resort!! I am an all-inclusive traveler and have been on 7 all-inclusive Caribbean vacations. This hotel was the true definition of paradise! Every aspect of the trip was great from start to finish. Check-in was a breeze as we walked to our rooms with our first tropical drink of the vacation in hand. One thing is, the resort is huge. It's part of a huge complex of sister resorts - we stayed at the Barcelo Colonial. There were times when we mistakenly ended up at one of the other hotels, since they all look similar. The food was great with a nice selection of restaurants and the buffets. I personally adored the lunch buffet that had the most perfect view of the ocean. The room was clean and simple but just what we needed. If you're looking for a little more in a room such as jacuzzi tub, ect., I would recommend the hotel's sister resort, The Barcelo Maya Palace. There were plenty of nice bars open at night to hang out in with nighttime snacks and nightly entertainment. The drinks were good enough to get us tipsy, tipsy enough to call up CheapCaribbean and extend our 5 night trip to 8 nights!! We just couldn't get enough of this resort. The beach was powder white sand with crystal clear turquoise, warm, perfect Caribbean ocean water. This hotel was a great getaway and I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a quick escape to paradise for a great price!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ILiveForTheCaribbean
Dear ILiveForTheCaribbean:

dauphin,pa
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have to say i have been reading reviews for the last 6 months daily and was getting worried.
don't worry!!!
this is my 5th all inclusive so i have others to compare it to.
we took a private shuttle to resort from airport. worth the extra$ no stopping at other places to drop people off, that was great. takes about an hour no biggie check out the scenery and ask questions.

check in went perfect no wait at all.got to my room and the mold smell was bad I'm used to this in mexico,but I'm highly allergic.after i got a new filter for air conditioner, a new phone,ceiling fan fixed,and the mattress topper put on the bed(which is between the box spring and mattress)i was all set.
keep in mind i still gave an excellent review,this is mexico expect things to happen,they will fix it if your nice and not rude!!!
we went for our 25 anniversary so we had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us one night, nice touch.
the resort is very clean, the staff works very hard so tip them they deserve it.
the beach is awesome for snorkelers,thats the reason we picked it.So yes wear water shoes lots of coral which is great if you want fish.we saw turtles,squid,stingrays,octopuss,barracuda,stone fish,puffer fish and so many other colorful fish truly wonderful.
the buffet was typical resort food but you could always find something to eat. we liked all the restaurants a lot except italian yuk.
pools are beautiful and clean.
if you go any where take the collectivo and not the taxi its safe fun and way cheaper.the front desk people can help you its easy. sorry this is long hope it helps.remember if something goes wrong your on vacation make the best of it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear panettie:

Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed at the Colonial, which is one of the resorts within the Barcelo Riviera Maya Complex. We had originally booked at the Caribe, but this is closed for renovation. This is actually good, since we got bumped to the larger Colonial Resort, which is central amongst the resorts. We also had 4 restaurants in which to choose from. We upgraded to the larger oceanview junior suite on the second floor, and it was definitely worth it. We had a balcony view of the ocean and pool area, which is enormous. Note that the pool area actually separates the buildings from the ocean, so the rooms are not on the beach, but sit back about 100 yards. The staff at the Barcelo are very friendly and accomodating, hola ! We had good weather for 6 out of 7 days, very fortunate. The region is humid, and the dampness results in the tile flooring always being somewhat damp, and the rooms can have a musty smell to them. That took us a little bit to get used too, not long though. The air conditioning worked very well, and the rooms were stocked with beverages on a daily basis. I thought the buffet and restaurants were very good here, healthy selection of food. The indoor buffet was the best selection, and offered the most. The outdoor restaurants near the pool area had less of a selection, and were more geared towards a lunch style buffet. Plenty of open bars to go around, just wish they had more selection of international beers, instead of Corona. You also get a better pour at the bars near the indoor restaurants, since the bartenders are not in a hurry. We ate at all of the restaurants there, liked the Kyoto Japanese the best. All of them are very good, make your reservation ahead of time, since they do fill up. We also had a massage done at the World Class Spa. This was an awesome experience and highly recommend to anyone going here. The resort offers free use of Kayaks, catamarans, snorkelling, which is awesome in the beautiful blue water. Jet ski rental is $65 dollars per half hour. I find this too expensive, considering everything else is "free". Anyway, I never opended my wallett during this trip, except when we went to Playa De Carmen. I had plentty of tequila during the trip, which is everywhere, and can be used as a bartering technique !

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor.