“Great Relaxing Vacation”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
“Great Relaxing Vacation”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was our (my wife & I) second trip to the Barcelo resort -- we stayed in the Tropical section last time. Basically the same resort.
This review is only our opinion and represents the things we look for in a resort. I know people will agree and disagree with this review but that is expected.
We arrived at the resort at around 1:30pm and had to wait for our room until 3pm. We went for lunch and then went to look where our room was located. The room was obviously finished and ready -- but we were still made to wait until 3pm. We did not like the location of the room. We asked for a different room, on the 3rd floor and closer to the beach and restaurants. We were told there were not available and yet were also told the resort was not very busy this time of the year. The person looking us talked to another employee in Spanish -- this is usually used when they don't want us to understand what they are saying. We ended up with a room on the 3rd floor and settled for 2 double beds just to be closer to the beach. One of the beds had broken legs and we phoned down to reception to complain but were told again that no rooms were available but someone would look into it. Amazingly someone should up in about 1/2 hour and there was a room available across the hall. Crazy. Not very accomodating. They did not try to be helpful at all. They must have known the one room had a bed with broken legs.
The beach is the worse beach we have ever been on. This is not the resorts fault but if you are looking for a good beach -- this is not it. There are lots of rocks to go through to get into the water. The beach is mainly granular and very difficult to walk on without sandals. Most of the soft powdery sand is gone. Where the lounge chairs are, there is very little sand and a very hard substance (could be rocks or very hard sand). If you slipped here (little kids) it would scrape a knee. Very little was done while we were there to manicure the beach. Sea weed was everywhere and in some areas, quite thick on the beach and you had to walk through this to get to the water -- this is the resorts responsibility. This is very difficult to understand since Barcelo keeps everywhere else on the resort so clean and nicely manicured. Can't explain this one.
The people who stay at the palace do not had a nice beach at all.
I have heavily complained about the beach because that is one of the main reasons we choose a resort. People have rated the beach as high as 5. No way -- a 1-2 rating at best which is very poor for the Mayan. The beaches at Playacar areas and Maroma area are absolutely amazing.
Again -- this is not the resorts fault. Needless to say -- the beach was not very busy and lots of empty lounges. First time I have ever - EVER- walked the beach with sandals on.
The good things! The food was very good. We do not like the a la cartes so we stick to the buffets and we loved them. Always lots of choices and very good choices.
The grounds were very emaculate and the pools were great. Drinks were good but not every bar tender makes the drinks the same. Some put little effort into it.
Would we go back -- highly unlikely. In the Mayan, we would stick to the Playacar area or Maroma beach area. Incredible soft sandy beaches and amazingly clear water and you can walk forever on the beaches.

5 Thank Peckmeister
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 24 May 2016
Dear David:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

Additionally, we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

Lastly, we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Me and my husband just got back home to Nevada last night. We spent 7 days at the Barceló Maya Colonial. It is a beautiful resort. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean. Hotel very safe, lots of security around. the beach was amazing, great snorkeling at the beach, lots of coral as well as soft sand. It was big enough you can find your own little hideaway. The food at the buffet I have to say was very good. Lots to choose from and the staff at the buffets and restaurants were so accommodating. I have stayed at numerous resorts all over the yucatan, Riviera Maya, Puerto Aventura and this really has been the best on yet. We did not bring our little ones this trip but many people had small children (which made us miss ours a ton) the hotel had an incredible area for children and a little club house with staff to do activities with them. We will definitely be bringing our little ones back next visit. They offered lots of equipment to play in the water, swim up bars, a disco, large shopping area both inside and kind of like an upscale open market, 2 theatures for different shows and other things like Spanish lessons, dance lessons, etc. I could go on and on about how wonderful this hotel was. There were a few things on the downside for us but nothing major. The drinks (cocktails) were very sweet, there are no palpua's on the beach (the little grass huts but there are a ton of palm trees. If you want a late night snack and need to order room service there is a $9 US charge PER PLATE. Otherwise there is ne bar towards the lobby that puts snack food out about 12:30 midnight. They do not put washcloths in the room as a standard, we had to request them. Shopping at the resort was VERY VERY expensive. $20 US for a bottle of suntan lotion. $9 US for a small bottle of Lubriderm Lotion, $7 US for a pack of cigarettes, cheap T-shirts $25 and up a cheap pair of tweezers $6US, a bottle of generic Tylenol $9US, the cheap little Mexican crafts that are everywhere $10US (I mean the small things, junk stuff) bottle of Kaulua $22-25US. A bottle of Coke a Cola $2.90US, so I would not advise you to shop there. Playa Del Carmen is even more expensive. But if you have to take any kind of transportation USE the Collectivo's. You can walk out to the main road at the front entrance of the hotel and catch what the locals use. To Playa $3US per person, one way, otherwise the cabs wanted $23US PER PERSON one way. Stay out of the cabs they are scammers. We took collectivos to PlayaDel Carmen and Xcaret $3US each. I also think that you should be allowed to eat at any restaurant instead we were allowed 2 tickets for the better restaurants for our 6 night stay.

Room Tip: You can upgrade to a Junior Suite so that you can eat at all the upscale restaurants and get premium...
6 Thank Missy F
Dear Missy F:

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Toronto
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband and I just got home from Barceló Maya Colonial and had a great time. The resort itself is HUGE and very clean. The food and amenities are wonderful. We even made a very stupid mistake of leaving our safe unlocked (each thinking the other had done so!) with our passports, wallets, cash, laptop, ipad, phones, etc...the staff placed the private sign on our door so no one else would enter the room...WOW (the cleaning staff were rewarded - that is for sure!)

It wasn't until I arrived home to learn that we were charged over $500 on our credit card for 8 long distance calls made from our hotel room (most approx. less than 1 min) over a 3 day period. Most people reading this probably already know better (and I didn't want to spend the $50 to access the resorts internet...there is a lesson learned!) but thought it would make sense to put this out there just in case!

5 Thank Terri E
Dear Terri E:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our Group went down at the end of November for a wedding, the Hotel was very nice, the beach was amazing and the food was great. our mini bar was restocked daily (a surprise based on the four other resorts we had been to in mexico). the Rooms were always kept clean and the staff was attentive to our every need. A special shout out to Antonio who worked at one of the theatre bars is required. he went out of his way to make sure we were happy. We didn't get to try the Japanese that everyone was raving about, our group was just to big but the Steakhouse was great. Some of our group was vegetarian and they had trouble finding food in the speciality restaurants but all in all they managed though it.

of note, if you are checking in you will get a little book with coupons in them, immediately look for the discount on upgrading to a better suite and get upgraded right then. it is worth the extra few dollars. the premium suites are amazing

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tannedandfull
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 23 May 2016
Dear tannedandfull:

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Myself and the now wife went here for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. The weather was perfect as was the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, the buffets were of a good standard. The a la cartes were amazing! Would recommend the tepanyaki. Rooms are very spacious and the drinks and room service were very good too.

Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank signorwhippy
Dear signorwhippy:

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial from Nov 26/13 to Dec 3/13. It is one of 5 hotels in a complex about 20 minutes south of Playa del Carmen.

I have stayed at this complex about 5 times and the hotels are a good mid-range properties. The food is good, there is a good standard in the rooms, and the beach is excellent.

In the colonial the rooms are a junior suite which has a sofa and chair and desk. Safety deposit box is included free, there is tv, and internet is extra (580 pesos for a week of wi fi good in the room).

I ate in the buffet and the steakhouse (Santa Fe). I would rate both as good. But understand the beef in mexico is not as good as home. But for mexico, it is good. I asked for fries and they also have a baked potato but the menu does not show these but they have them.

I am a reader and you have to learn where the book exchanges are.

In the colonial, it is located in the premium room, just ask to be let in. There is also a small bookcase in the internet room at the pool.
In the Tropical, it is located in the premium room.
In the Caribe, it is located in the premium room, with a bookshelf tucked in the tour room.
In the Palace it is located behind the employee in the internet room. They never give me a hard time about not staying at the palace.

Tips
1. Use the hot tub located in the gym
2. The sandiest beach is in front of the maya beach
3. Use the collectivos (vans) to get into playa or the ruins of tulum

I had an maintenance issue in the room and it took 3 times complaining to get it fixed...frustrating. But it is still a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank vancouverbrian1
Dear VancouverBrian:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My family and I visited this hotel in Mid-November. The weather was beautiful and it was still low season so not too many people!
Check in was a breeze, Aldo was awesome! We were in a large group they were able to accommodate us in rooms near each other and 3rd floor as requested. We stayed in the Jalisco building which I liked it seemed like less traffic than the building near the lobby.

The grounds are immaculate. The resort is huge. The beach in front of the Colonial and Caribe/Beach are the best. hardly no rocks. The pool is great and the slides are a plus for the little guys. You can rent wave runners for a fee, I believe $65 per half hour. They also have kayaks, water trikes and hobbie cats at no charge.

The food was good, not great but good. My kids are picky eaters and they always found something to eat at the buffet.

Our room was clean and good size for four people. The only complaint is the shower. Don't shower around 5:00 your hot water will just turn off, it just stopped in the middle of shampooing my hair. It happened to everyone in our party. I'm guessing the water tank doesn't hold enough hot water and everyone is getting cleaned up around that time for dinner, this happened a couple times at the beginning of our stay. We learned quickly to come back to the room earlier to get ready for dinner.

My only warning would be to not visit the "Vacation Club" they offer tours of the resort and want to sell you a "deal" on the club premium rooms if you come back for multiple visits. We probably would have booked with them if it wasn't for the verbal attack from the "manager". He was very rude to my family when we started questioning cost. Stay away from the vacation club!!!! That's my only warning. I understand they are salesman and can be pushy, but this went beyond pushy. He was plain out rude!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jlaeb
Dear jlaeb:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.
We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!