“Literally, this place took our breath away!”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Lamar, Missouri
“Literally, this place took our breath away!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Went to Barceló Maya Colonial for our 5 year anniversary, stayed August 16-20, 2013. About a week before arrival, I e-mailed a few requests for our room, my wife is a light sleeper, so we wanted a room away from the theater, and close to the pool/beach. I informed them that it was our anniversary, and we were very exited to get away alone together. After nearly 12 hrs of travel, we were greeted into an empty lobby, by a server with a refreshing fruit drink. While checking us in, the desk attendant looked up from the computer and said, "Well, it's your anniversary! Let me get you a better room." We were taken to the "Club Premium" room, first floor, and our patio walked out to the pool only steps away. We rushed into our swim suits, and ran to the beach (ok, we stopped by the swim up bar on the way:). WE WERE LITERALLY blown away by the beauty of this place! We spent the evening playing on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, then cleaned up for a wonderful buffet dinner, and spent the remainder of the evening at the theater. Antonio, one of the many great, classy bartenders at the resort, kept us in high spirits every evening, as this is where we went every night after dinner.
Over the next few days, we explored this resort, went snorkeling, took the colectivo down the road to shop at Playa del Carmen, and spent time just floating around in the huge pools. Safety was never a concern, no beach venders, and no one expected a tip. (Although, I took a very large stack of 20 peso bills, because I know how very hard the employees work to keep everyone happy.) I could go on and on about how wonderful this place is, and I would recommend anyone, couples or families, give this place a try. Food was cruise ship quality on the buffets, great in the Japanese restaurants, and was even impressed with the snack bar/grill on the beach. Drinks were amazing, my beer was cold, and service was perfect. We are going back with our children as soon as we can!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank NicandAmanda
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial really appreciate your kindly comments. The staff will be very happy to know you wrote your experience during your stay at this network.
We will be happy to host you the next time... may be for another anniversary?
Once again thank you!
Best regards,
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We recently stayed at the Barcelo for 5 nights. We were in a standard room with a garden view that worked fine for us. Nothing exceptional, but it was very clean, had a mini-bar, sofa, nice TV, electronic safe and a large private deck.

While the Barcelo complex is very large, we felt is was easier to navigate compared to some other large resorts. The resort is very clean and the grounds are beautiful. The size allows for tons of things to do while you are there. The pools are huge and you can pick one that has a lot of activites going on or one that is on the quiet side. They had Yoga, Water Aerobics, Pool Volleyball, Pool Basketball, Water Polo, various games and much more going on everyday. We played tennis and used their miniature golf course. It's impossible to get bored at this resort as long as you are willing to get out of your lounge chair!

The resort also has a great disco, lots of shops, it's almost like a city of its own.

We all felt the service was outstanding. The employees were very friendly and moved quickly to tend to all of our needs.

The beach is better in some spots than others. Down by the Barcelo Beach Resort side, the beach is the best by far. It's a little bit of a distance from the action, but a great quiet spot.

Overall, the food was very good. The buffets get old pretty quick, but they were very good for buffets and always had a large selection. Having to make reservations for the Ala Carte restaurants is a pain. Take care of this as soon as you arrive, otherwise you'll end up with dinner at 9:00 or later!

Having to wear a bracelot to indicate which Barcelo you are in is a nuisance too. Wish they would figure out how to avoid this!

We did go on their snorkeling excursion ($49 per person) and I would highly recommend it. We've snorkeled all over and this was one of the best we've been on.

This is a great resort for families!

6 Thank DCKC
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising restaurants, services and fun that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
We are sure the next time you visit us, all your family will have a new adventure to tell!!
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
The Management
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I am a beer drinker. I don't like mixed or fruity drinks. The beer at this resort was chilled at best. They would bring a keg from the main building, tap it and leave it sit out behind the bar. I was so disappointed. Not that I want to be drunk my entire vacation, but I want to enjoy a cold beer throughout the day. Even the beers from the restaurants and bars were just so-so.

The beach here is nice for snorkeling and swimming. We took a kayak one day, too. The other days the waves were surfing quality so we stayed at the pools.

The pools were very nice and well kept. We had to deal with a 20-something wedding group, and one man in particular was so arrogant, thinking everyone loved him and everyone wanted to know what he did/was doing. Ugh. Annoying. We left a pool he was at and within a few minutes he came to the other pool. *sigh* Not the hotels problem, but made for a less-than-relaxing vacation.

The food was average at best on the buffets. The restaurant food was delicious. We stayed 7 nights and could eat at these only 3 times. And had to make reservations. Wish that were different; open seating and unlimited, for the price one pays.

The hammocks were nice for reading and napping. People would lay towels on chairs early morning and wouldn't show up for hours or ever. Again, wish that weren't the way it is, but what can the resort do.

The A/C in the room couldn't keep up and we were quite warm every night. The refrigerator also didn't make drinks cold--no, not even the beer. ;) But the rooms were clean and beds were comfortable.

Lots of walking and lots of stairs.

Our first experience of all-inclusive vacationing was Moon Palace and I fear we are spoiled beyond repair. Now THAT is an all-inclusive, 5-star resort. We won't be back, but it wasn't horrible. We stayed April of 2013.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sherry Y
mayacolonial, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 22 August 2015
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the time invested in this lovely review.

We are pleased to know you have enjoyed your recent stay at Barceló Maya Colonial and we sincerely hope to welcome you again in a near future.

Best regards,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at the Barcelo, it was exactly the same as last time, which is a good thing!

The food is good, fresh and plentiful. It's not the best food you will ever get, but they have a large variety, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Yes, they do recycle supper to lunch the next day - left over desserts and meats, but can you blame them? Everything about the food areas were clean and safe, no meat left cold, no veg's left warm, food was refilled quickly. Anyone could find something they liked, even my daughter who refuses to eat breakfast found something to eat for breakfast! Drinks were easy to get everywhere, service was not dependant on tips. If you order alcohol, they aren't cheap about it.

The room was clean and well equipped. We are a family of 4, 2 parents, a teenager and a 10 year old. We had 2 double beds and were surprised to find a made up daybed as well. The beds are not the most comfortable, ours was a bit soft, but it wasn't a huge issue. The fridge was stocked every day, the rooms were cleaned everyday, fresh towels were given even if we hung our used ones. We had face cloths on the first day, but never again after that. I suppose I could have asked the cleaning staff if I had really wanted to. They did offer extra towels a few times and I could have requested then.

We loved that the dive shop was free for kayaks and all other non motorized sports. The ocean was really warm, the sand was kept fairly clear of garbage, and there was no seaweed here. The shore was a bit rocky in places, we brought water socks, but never used them as the rocks aren't that bad, you just have to be aware of them. Beach chairs were clean and plentiful. Staff members were always walking around picking up garbage and drink cups.

The resort is quite large, and we loved that. It was nice to have a little walk to breakfast (5 min max) and we could walk around the resort and get a good walk in when we wanted. While walking one night we found that the mini golf was open late so we played a game with the kids. We LOVE the soccer field here, it is beautiful and well maintained. It rained a bit on our stay, so we didn't use it as much as we would have liked. They had a schedule of soccer "games" with the staff or guests, but no one ever showed up. My husband found a few guys to kick around with on his own. (If we had one field like this one in Calgary, I would be in heaven!)

The shops here are good, offer anything you might have forgotten, as well as souvenirs. Prices aren't too much higher than in town if at all.

Playa del Carmen is a quick 10-15 min cab ride away. Our cabbie picked us up, set a time to meet us to drive us back, and asked for payment at the end. I was a bit surprised that he trusted us so much!

Check in and out was easy and quick. Our room was not ready when we got there at 1pm, so we had the buffet lunch, came back and were able to get our keys. We also booked our a la carte's at that time, had no problem getting all 4 reservations. (A la carte's were good, service was not amazing, the Japanese restaurant was our favorite.) The front staff was fine, we didn't have any issues. Our air conditioner was making a knocking noise, we talked to the front staff and a serviceman was in our room within the next half hour to fix it, and he did fix it quickly.

We had no issues with stealing from the room, we kept passports, money, camera's....in the safe. The resort felt very safe. We did leave a lot of our less valuable things out and never had an issue in the room, or at the beach.

Beach towels can be hard to replace, they run out quickly. The one day we tried to get some at 8am and 2pm, still didn't get fresh ones. There is only 1 towel exchange for the whole resort, they could work on that.

We don't care to use the spa, we did use the hot tub last stay, it was fine. We don't do organized water activities at the pool, or any amenities other than the dive shop. We like to be left alone and do things on our own. We had no problem with that. The resort can be a bit boring in the rain, they may have had activities going on, but we took that time to relax and read or watch tv in the room.

Our Transat Vacations rep was very helpful, even gave tips on which bank machine to use - the Peso's machine gives you a better exchange rate. All of the US $ machines were out of service during our stay, hard to get US$ at the resort. The rep did say that they are trying to not take american money like they used to (at the resort and in Playa) but they all seemed to have no problem with either american or peso's. If you have any cash left over, use the peso's, no one wants to exchange peso's at home, and all change from vendors come back with peso's regardless of what you paid with.

The evening shows went from bad (the band and the singers were quite painful) to amazing - the Circus show is pretty spectacular. Picture Cirque du Soleil on a smaller budget, the performers really knew what they were doing. We did Karaoke one night, my daughter and I actually got up on stage and sang. It was hilariously fun. They made all the singers come back at the end of the show to dance around with the crew, also a lot of fun. They had The Nutcracker Ballet which was well done.

I'm not saying that this resort is the best of the best, but it was what we wanted. Peace and quiet, a safe place to hang out and take walks and relax. The beach is really lovely for walking. All of the paths and the entire resort is nicely lit at night(not too lit, kind of romantic), perfect for evening walking.

The last 2 days of our trip the ocean flags were at red - no swimming - due to wind and high waves. We did swim, so did a lot of other people, and the waves were amazing! The dive shop was closed, for obvious safety reasons, which was a bummer, but at least they have safety protocol. I did notice that there was a lifeguard on duty all day at the beach as well.

What could I possibly complain about? Maybe I am low maintenance (I doubt my husband would agree) but I can't understand why anyone would see much bad here. You want to research your resort to make sure it has what you personally want. We've travelled a lot (many countries in Europe, Cuba, the US) and stayed in a wide array of places, Barcelo is one that I would go back to without question.

My ending comments to the hotel would be to please offer more hooks in the room, in the bathroom, on the patio. It is really hard to dry clothes in humid climates and more hooks, not just hangers in the closet, would be very appreciated. That goes for ALL hotels I've stayed at, add more hooks please!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, since we like to walk, it worked well for us. We had a view of trees, i...
5 Thank worldtravellers4
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 23 May 2016
Dear worldtravellers4:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend here.
I appreciate your positive notes I was very happy to read that you liked the facilities, food and services that we offer.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Great Midwest
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Preface:
Please note the all inclusive vacation may not be for everyone. I mean think about it. Just how much quality and service can they give you for what you pay? Having that said the fact is all resorts in the Riviera Maya are about average. It's just that some are below average. The other issue is that the Mexican 5 star rating is a very different standard compared to the American 5 star rating. And lastly mega amounts of waking are required at these resorts and if you can't walk long distances or are physically challenged then choose a different type of vacation or a resort that don’t require as much walking. If you have any specific questions email me and I will try and help you the best I can.

The Check In:
We arrived at Barceló Colonial for 7 nights on December 20, 2013. I was traveling with my wife and 2 children aged 10 and 6 and another family. This is our 5th trip to Cancun/Riviera Maya and we have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Cancun, Grand Palladium, 2 times at Iberostar, and now Barceló Colonial. We paid for the premium package which gives you an express check in with a special lounge with drinks and snacks, larger room with sleeper sofa, 24 hour room service, 7 sit down meals instead of 4, and premium alcohol drinks instead of the local Mexican alcohol. Check in was rough. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by the bellman who told us to go to the main reception. After waiting 20 minutes at the main reception area we were told we need to go to the premium check in area. We were never told this prior to our arrival and it would have saved lots of time had we known? The front desk staff should make sure the bellman knows which guests have the premium package when they arrive that way he can direct the guests with the premium package to go to the premium check in area and not waste time at the main reception. Once we got to the premium check in area it was nice to find snacks and drinks especially for the kids. The check in gal was very accommodating making sure both families were close together. But then she gave me luggage tags and told us we had to go back to the main reception area to meet the bellman again and place the luggage tags on our bags so he knew which room to take them to. This check in process is such a circus! I should not have to tell the bellman what room to take my bags! They should know this without me having to tell them where my room is. Rooms are assigned at check in and making a special room request prior to check in or even at check in is nearly impossible at all these resorts.

The Experience:
Like most all inclusive Mexican resorts in the Riviera Maya Barceló is made up of 5 large resorts making one huge mega resort and be warned lots of walking is required. They are Barceló Palace, Barceló Maya Tropical, Barceló Maya Colonial, Barceló Maya Caribe, and Barceló Maya Beach. Please note if you are physically challenged in any way or can’t walk long distances then you may not want to choose an all inclusive resort mega resort and go to a smaller resort in Cancun. There is lots and lots of walking through the course of the day and depending on where your room is located you may even walk more or a less. The buffet restaurants, shows, and main lobby can easily be a 10-15 minute walk depending on where your room is located. I have a pedometer and I was easily waking 2-3 miles per day. Scooters for people who can't walk long distances are available for rental at the front desk. I found the service in all areas of the resort to be lacking. The resort is way short on staff compared to Iberostar. It took 15 minutes on average to get drinks at the pool bars with only 2 bartenders and over a dozen guests waiting for drinks at 1pm. Plus the bartenders and some of the staff throughout the resort are not as friendly as Iberostar. The staff at Iberostar makes you feel welcome and are very friendly and outgoing but at Barceló they act like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there. Wait staff in the buffet restaurants are short handed as well and food quality is not as good as Iberostar. Also we were hungry at 10pm one night after a show and there are NO restaurants open after 10pm at Barceló and this is a huge problem. At least at Iberostar they keep one restaurant open late for guests who want to eat after the shows or for late check ins. Also there is no food available on the beach and no bar for drinks at the beach. There are buffet restaurants and bars near the beach but unlike Ibersotar they don't offer any beach bar b que's and they is no food available on the beach. You have to leave the beach every time you want food or drinks.

The Room:
The room itself was okay but the beds and pillows were extremely hard. I mean hard like a rock. We had housekeeping place mattress pads on the beds because they were so hard the kids couldn't sleep on the beds. Also hot water is a bad problem at this resort. You can't get hot water for showers during peak times like at 8-9am and 5-6pm. The hot water supply is just not big enough and it is a twofold problem. You may have to let the hot water run for about 10 minutes depending on far your room is from the hot water tank. Other times you may get hot water but during peak times there just isn't any. I complained to the front desk and they were well aware of this problem and basically told me that's just the way it is. The rooms are loud and noisy making it difficult to sleep in past 8am.

Entertainment:
I found the daily activities to be boring here compared to Iberostar. Ibersotar offers daily activities and there is something to do all through the day for everyone but not here. Also all pool games are at the Barceló Palace and none at any of the other resorts within Barceló. There are also no beach side games like Iberostar offers either. The shows and entertainment are hands down better at Iberostar and so is the kids club. Iberostar also offers a lazy river, wave pool, and if I'm not mistaken they also now have a water park and Barceló only offers kids a small kid’s pool with some slides.

Restaurants:
Don't waste your time with the sit down restaurants. They are not very good and I will just let it go at that. We tried them all and it’s better just to stick with the buffets and pick what you want. The restaurants are Mare Nostrum Seafood, Capri Italian, Santa Fe Steakhouse, and Kyoto Japanese.

Spa:
Lastly there is NO full service spa here at Barceló which is a huge let down. They say they have a spa but their spa is nothing more than beauty salon for women to get their hair and nails done and massage. They do have a very small workout facility near the beauty salon in a separate building that has a small hot tub, sauna, and steam room but it is not a full service spa under one roof like Ibersotar offers. In fact the spa at Iberostar is one of thee best full service spas I ever been to.

Tips: Service issues are a huge problem here for what you pay for especially for the premium package so I wouldn't pay extra for the premium package. Service, food, shows, and entertainment are a big problem and just not as good as Iberostar which beats Barceló hands down. No full service spa under is a big disappointment. Book Iberostar and forget Barceló and you will have a better vacation for about the same cost. The beach is much better that the Maya Caribe and Maya Beach however the snorkeling is better at Maya Colonial reef. Barceló Palace offers no premium amenities except the room is a little better and all activities except for the pool games are located at Colonial.

Room Tip: A room in the Guanajuato building near the kids pool or theatre is a good central location.
12 Thank caymankid
Dear caymankid:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Elie, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial side in the first week of December. This is a very nice mega resort similar to the Grand Palladium and Grand Bahia Principe that of which we have also tried out. We had some upsetting glitches upon checking in, (too numerous to go into detail), but we had the right person, (Michelle) at the reception check in desk that believed in good customer service, whom took her job seriously and worked to make everything right. Her customer skills were excellent, courteous, always pleasant with us and the public.
My wife was impressed with the beautiful updated rooms with good lighting, electrical, and comfy high class bed sheets, (better than what we have at home.) An elevator was also a bonus.
Everything was excellent, the food, service, people, beach. Would have loved to have a free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen as we have experienced that in the past, but there is a limit to what can be offered. Also thanks to Dora and Yasmin for being so courteous to us. They were very helpful in making our stay wonderful.
Overall, no complaints, and expect to go back there again in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Colonial side Jalisco Block which is very central to all. Good choice and location.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beaudar50
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 24 May 2016
Dear beaudar50:

Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The resort is really large and well kept, but didn't have the level of service I expected. First there was confusion on check in as to where I was actually supposed to be. My ticket said colonial but when the taxi took me there, they pointed us to the playa beach next door. The room was comfortable but the thermostat didnt work right and it was too hot/cold. The bathroom was tiny, and the TV was mostly all spanish channels. There was only 1 power outlet behind the couch to plug my stuff into. I wanted to lay on the beach and relax, but its very noisy with loud music. Also, nobody ever came around to provide drinks. Every resort I stayed at before had free internet access at least in the lobby, but not here. You have to pay just to check in to your airline! Now on to the food: large volume, fair quality. If your flight arrives between scheduled meal times, there are no options other than a "snack bar" where there is just some fruit and cookies. I actually thought the buffets were slightly better than the sit down restaurants, where they tried to pass off sirloin as filet. It was so salty that I couldn't eat it. Bottom line- the resort is average, I've stayed at better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank gasd0c
Dear gasd0c:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,838 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!