“Abuse to dolphins/ Never will return”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ohio
“Abuse to dolphins/ Never will return”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have been to Barcelo Caribe/Colonial 3 times and returned again on Jan 10th for 9 days to find they now have 5 dolphins in a shallow backyard size pool . For A fee you can "interact" with these beautiful creatures who have absolutely no shade (dolphins sunburn very easily) and the skin is wearing off on their snouts from giving people " the thrill" of being pushed out of the water by the dolphins pushing their feet ! I will never support any Barcelo resort of any kind. Shame on you Barcelo for supporting cruelty to such beautiful mammals !!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
27 Thank dollykeener
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret to know your comments about the dolphinarium and let us comment that the Company we are working with, is totally certificated to the proper care of the dolphins. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
Best regards
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

1. you pay $15/day for wifi and it's not that fast (what a shame)
2. beds, sheets, pillow smell like been used by few thousand people. basically nasty BO
3. buffet is not bad at all.
4. the beach! watch out for the kids and yourself.. it's really rocky
5. cappuccino machine was broken for 4 days straight @ the bar
6. mattress been so old had a spring popped out in the middle

Room Tip: choose 3rd for quieter sleep
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nada J
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your last visit to Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel.
Your comments have been reviewed with the staff in order to improve the attention to every single guest that we have the pleasure to host.
We regret any inconvenience during your stay and it will be a pleasure to show you the real service on your next visit.

Best regards,
Frost, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just returned on January 15 th. Had a wonderful vacation with kids and grand kids. This is a big place with lots to do. We scuba, swam with dolphins, ocean and beach. Rocky getting in the ocean. Staff were very attentive, grounds were well kept, clean accommodations. I would return and recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor. Our first room was ground level and musty. They quickly relocated us and we...
2 Thank Carolyn D
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising services, restaurants and fun for all ages that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
We are sure the next time you visit us, all your family will have a new adventure to tell!!
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I went in November, to celebrate my 1 year old's and my birthday. The room was very good, and we had more beer and liquor and soft drinks than we could drink. The buffet was good (I really like Mexican food, so we enjoyed it). The a la carte restaurants were OK, except for the Japanese one, which was very good. Overall, the resort was in great condition, very clean and the service was great.
My only negative point was the beach. It was very clean, but the sand was very shallow, and many rocks got through it. Getting into the ocean was also difficult, due to the many rocks on the bottom on the ocean. I hurt my feet many times getting into the ocean, unfortunately. We tried many entry points and finally found one that was OK, but it required lots of concentration to stay on the less rocky path! Other parts of the ocean that were less rocky has lots of algae, so that was not very appealing either. Their pools are great though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank A V
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed the services. Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Best regards,
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed for 10 days from Dec 30th through Jan 8th with my wife and 2 yr old. This is our second trip to Riviera Maya in 6 months. We stayed at Iberostar in May. I don't know why people are raving so much about this place. They probably never stayed at other places. Everything was much better at Iberostar: premises, beach, food, pools. Don't get me wrong - this is a good resort, I have no real complains, but not as good as Iberostar. Special thanks to Michelle at the front desk - she switched our room at our request because our original room was very close to theater and it was too noisy when they had shows there. Food was OK, but once again, not as much variety as at Iberostar. Beach was very rocky - there was approximately 10' or so wide of rock free area where all people would swim. Another complain is about the water in the pool - it was very cold and sometimes staff would put too much chlorine in it. Overall, not bad, but I wouldn't give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a second or third floor - first floor rooms have an open balcony.
6 Thank cool-al
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!
Barcelo Maya Colonial
alberta
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed at this resort from December 30-Jan 5 2014 with my 14 year old son and husband. I am writing this review to answer the questions I did not get answers to from reading other reviews, hope this helps you.
This resort is divided into 5 areas, in order from lowest to highest price: Beach, Caribe, Colonial, Tropical and Palace Deluxe. The first two are the original hotels and are on the nicest parts of the beach. As you go north the beach gets rockier and by the Palace Deluxe it is quite rocky. The Caribe area has a climbing wall and trampoline area but all the hotels have beautiful water parks with slides for kids under 12 to enjoy. I was very impressed with the water slides, when my son was that age I would not have been able to peel him off them! The other main difference between the hotels is that the higher priced ones allow you to eat at all the ones south of you, but you cannot eat at any north of you. This means only Palace people can eat at the Palace and they have some restaurants that are not duplicated at the other hotels.

Club Premium: we purchased this upgrade for the main reason that we wanted a room closest to the beach but we enjoyed its other benefits. If you pay for this as soon as you get off your bus ask the bell boy where Premium people check in. We did not know that we needed to go to a special check in and the front desk checked us in but neglected to tell us about all the perks that came with this upgrade. For example you get free Wi Fi but you need to get the password from the staff checking you in. You also have access to a Premium Lounge with liquor, snacks, & computers with your room key. On check in you can also immediately book your a la cartes for the week, you don't need to go to the concierge to do this. As a Premium guest you get a special bracelet and I felt that the staff gave us extra good service because of this.

A la Cartes: I was entitled to book 7 a la carte meals which you must reserve. I like eating early so I had no problem getting a 5:30 reservation at any of the restaurants but if you wanted a more popular time you were going to be disappointed. We reserved our first night and were told that the Japanese restaurant was the most popular and we could only get it on our last night for a show table. The concierge only booked us into a la cartes at the Colonial of which there are 5: Mexican, Seafood, Italian, Japanese and a Steakhouse and did not offer us any restaurants at the Beach or Caribe. In retrospect I wish I had asked this to be done because I did not get to use the a la cartes for all 7 nights as I was entitled to. The Mexican restaurant is forgettable but the Steakhouse, Seafood and Japanese were excellent and the Teppenyaki show was well done.

Dolphin Park: There is a Dolphin park with 6 dolphins that you pay $80-160 to swim with (price depending on time and level of interaction) which opened 3 weeks earlier. I did not do this but one guest I spoke to did and told me that all the dolphins were unable to live in the wild because of a variety of physical disabilities (ex. one was missing an eye). You are able to watch the dolphins perform and they give a great show.

Buffets: There is a large buffet by the lobby and another by the pool. The lobby buffet requires you to be in clean dry clothing with coverups over your bathing suits. The beach buffet is more relaxed but the food is not as good. We ended up going to the lobby buffet for breakfast and lunch and enjoyed the selection and variety of food. I was sorry there was not a snack bar available in the beach/pool area where you could sit outside in your wet bathing suit and eat, it is hard to pull your kid out of the pool and change them into dry clothes so you can go for lunch.

Service: a special shout out to Vanessa, Pedro, and Osiel at the buffets, we left a hat and a ball at different times behind and our waiters cheerfully returned them to us when we realized what we had done. In my nine trips to the Mayan Riviera this was the first time our lost things came back :)

Summary: The Colonial is a great hotel and the whole resort is fantastic. Delicious food in buffets and a la cartes, beautiful pools and beach, well appointed rooms and friendly service. I would be happy to return, and I usually only stay at a place once. I do not hesitate to recommend it!

36 Thank aquacaliente
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear aquacalie.

We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach Resort.

Thank you very much for having choose Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation for readers, your finest words regarding the staff and all our services.

Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to host you.

Warmest Regards to Alberta.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com
Wawanesa, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Just got home from a week at the Barcelo Maya Colonial. This resort is beautiful well kept and very clean. Staff very friendly, great food, the a La Carte resturants were great, Japanese and Seafood were our favourites followed by Steakhouse and Italian. The beach is awesome, a couple of rocks here and there but very clean and clear blue water, we went to other beaches in the area that locals said were the best and we only stayed at them for an hour or so and wanted to get back to the Barcelo beach. Great family spot or a couples getaway (which is what we did), but already talking about a great place to bring our kids in a couple years. I would go back in a second! Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We had a king size bed and it was pretty good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Brenth H
Dear Brenth H.

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence.

Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to hosting you and your family again.

Warmest Regards to Wawanesa, Canadá.

Barceló Maya Tropical
#73 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!