“Just a great vacation!”

abbotsford, BC
“Just a great vacation!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

April 8-15/14 M&K Abbotsford

When we got to the Barcelo Maya Colonial we saw that there was construction going on. Not necessarily a bad thing but we were first assigned to a room on the second floor that literally faced the construction (Jalisco building). We trouped back to the front desk and asked for another room as it was too noisy.
We were assigned a first floor room at the other end of the building, which was nice and quiet and faced a well groomed garden area, which ended up being perfect. My wife likes to read on the deck and it ended up being a great place to just sit and read or relax.
The room was in fair shape, one of the doors in front of the TV opened but did no store away like the other but that was the only room glitch. The bed was fine, we read some people thought it was hard, but it was ok by us.
Overall we had a great week, no issues to speak of to report. The food was good, lots of variety, and actually some of the best meals I had were in the buffet. My wife prefers eating vegan and I prefer eating vegetarian but I don’t mind the occasional meatatarian meal on occasion. For the most part we were able to stay pretty close to what we normally would be eating which gives the you an idea of the foods available. If you are a strict vegan I think you will have to be strategic on occasion and if you are a vegetarian you will be ok. Because both my wife and I realize on vacation we sometimes have to eat things other than our ideal we were ok. We booked 4 a la cartes and after the second we cancelled the last two as the buffet had a better choice of vegan/vegetarian food, and well my wife reacted to the Italian place. Not that the food was poor, just more oil than we are used to.
The beach is beautiful, and as in previous reviews the beach in front of the Beach/ Caribe is the nicest. The Colonial’s beach was rocky and we did bring water shoes and they helped but eventually as the week went on we just went to the Caribe side for the beach.
As we were in the Colonial, and did go to the Caribe side, we did notice that the food choices were better at the Colonial beach buffet as well as the service. In a way we had the best of both worlds just a hundred or so feet apart.
I liked our week at the Barcelo, we never had issues finding a spot on the beach- the easiest we have ever experienced in finding a spot, there are lots of chairs. I think in service and amenities this reminded us of the time we went to an Iberostar, except there were much more amenities on the beach at the Iberostar. For the Barcelo, you had to leave the beach to access the bar or grill.
I think the best test of our experience is whether I would go back? Yep, I would. Thanks Barcelo for a great vacation!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank quierovacacioneshoy
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director Comercial at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear abbotsford:
First of all receive our greetings, feedback from our guest is essential to improve our services and achieve our goal to fulfill your expectations. We are pleased that You enjoyed this beautiful Resort and I appreciate your comments, Is really as you say, you find here and has everything you need, a variety of national and international food and drinks, a wonderful beach, amazing pools, shopping center shows and more .
We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again, please let me know the dates of your next visit ans I will take care of You personally.

gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Help me please!!!!
LOST stuffed Puppy!!!
We were there last week and stayed in rooms 6510 then we moved to 6508.
My sons stuffed puppy is either still in room 6510 in tv unit not in draws but down the side or house keeping has it. When they cleaned the sheets.
I have tried to call but broken English has us struggling.
PLEASE HELP MY SON IS So upset EVERYNIGHT!
The puppy is soft light tan color and length under a foot.

I will write a review after I have some response back!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Davies0
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Davies0:
We are pleased to inform you hereby we found the puppy dog his son, was sent to the address and we received confirmation of receipt.
Many thanks for choosing us and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.

Sincerly
The Management
Boston
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We went to this resort in April 2014. The resort itself is beautiful the grounds are impeccable and the beach was terrific for snorkelling. Beach shoes were only necessary when accessing the sailboats as they beach in a rocky location. The food exceeded my expectations and the room was clean and large enough to suit the needs of our family of 4. The only annoyance was the disfunctional shampoo dispensers. This was never remedied despite numerous requests. Luckily some reviewers had the same issue so I made sure to bring our own.

The resort is very well suited for families with small children. The elevators were great for accessing our second floor room with our stroller and the kids club was a big success with our 6 year old. I would recommend this resort and gladly go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KMNBoston
Dear KMNboston:
We are placed thay You enjoyed this Resort as you rightly says it is a wonderful place to vacation, with grat food and beverages, Kids Club, large pools and amazing beach I recomend on your next visit to the beach use Phase 1 Playa Azul is a paradise unparalleled and it has not rocks. Please let me know the dates of Your next visit and personally I will indicate which is one of the best beach areas within the rtesort.
Regarding your complaint we are replacing the shampoo dispensers that have been damaged
We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again.
Charlottetown, PE
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed at Barcelo Maya Colonial for a week in March with wife and 2 teenage sons. This property met or exceeded all our expectations.

Easy 45 minute drive from the airport via pre-arranged private shuttle. No lineup at check in at 3 in the afternoon - got that all done in 15 minutes and one our way to the room. Room was very comfortable - 2 beds plus a daybed that can sleep one. Nothing super fancy but certainly all we needs for the time we were in the room. Balcony is big enough for 2 chair a table and a drying rack for towels, etc. Maid service showed up each day ,as did the guy who refilled the bar fridge. No complaints there. Only issue with service of any note was that it took a couple of hours to get someone to unlock the in-room safe when one of my sons locked it and forgot the combination. Otherwise, everything we requested was taken care of efficiently.

Pools were large and very nice. There were spring breakers around, but they mostly congregated at the Tropical pool. Otherwise they were not really noticeable.

Beach was the best we've been to. Very long with areas for both swimming and snorkeling. Never a shortage of beach chairs and palm trees provide some shade for those who fry if in the sun too long. Also the beachfront restaurants are not more that a few steps from any spot on the beach. The first couple of days, there was big surf coming in. My oldest son - a competitive swimmer - had a great time body surfing the big waves. The rest of the week was more calm and snorkeling and swimming were the preferred activities.

Food was very good to excellent. Ate at the Mexican, Italian, Seafood and Japanese restaurants. all were enjoyable, although the Japanese was our favorite. Buffets were consistently very good and the beach front grilles had a relatively varied menu over the entire week.

The thing that I found that sets this property apart from some others is the grounds. The property is huge and the grounds keeping is impeccable. We would get up for a walk each morning before breakfast and could easily walk for over an hour without covering the same road/path twice. Also lots of birds, iguanas and other critters around to watch.

Easy to travel to Playa Del Carmen or beaches/cenotes in the area by taxi.

Would go back again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and/or not a night hawk, try to get a room that DOES NOT face the theatre...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RichA252
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Director General at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear RichA252:

We are placed that You enjoyed this Resort and tnank You very much for your recommendation is very important to us that the people know all the variety and excellent food, drinks, sports and entertainment, large pools and the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Maya that they can get it.
We appreciate your time and we look forward to the opotunity to serve You again please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit I take care of You personally.
Kent, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I did NOT stay here in April of 2014. But I discovered that my review had disappeared and it wouldn't let me choose the right time period.
I wrote a very negative review (and stand by it 100%) about our stay there in April of 2006 (best guess). I feel it's important since I received zero satisfaction from Barcelo that the review remain for people to beware.
The pros:The location itself is gorgeous. The room we stayed in was very nice (however not at all adequate for our needs).
The cons: we booked TWO rooms. We were traveling with a male non-family member and our daughter. The other room was his. we were supposed to have two beds in our room. They said sorry we have no rooms for you in this resort. We will put you in the next resort but you can use all the same stuff. We got to the room only to find it had ONE bed. For four adult people. They agreed to bring in a roll away bed and said we could use the couch. Seriously. They refused to fix it. They said go away if you don't like it. We were there to stay with friends who were already checked into rooms at the original resort next door. We really couldn't leave. There were other issues like not getting to eat with our friends at the "premium" restaurant because we weren't staying at the Colonial (but we did book the Colonial and PAY for the Colonial, we just couldn't go to the pirate ship restaurant with our friends.) At the resort they tell you to call and fix it at home. At home they say you should have fixed it there. And they said you got a deluxe room you should be happy. How can the logic of four adults and one bed really escape people? It was, and is, baffling to me. The food was adequate at best. The beds were hard as rocks. I will never stay at a Barcelo resort again. They clearly do not care about their guests. Really, try someplace else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank pjgrad
Dear pjgrad:

I would like to offer an apology for this confusión because I can not undertand what happened. I really sorry for the bad impression, as I reapeat I am sure there was an unfortunate confusión.
Please keep in touch with me to give a personal response to your complaint and I am sure we can do something to make You forget this experience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just returned from Barcelo Maya Colonial, we stayed there April 19-26 2014. I've been to many all inclusives and travel quite a lot for work, and I found that this resort was great, although the price was a little high. I'm sure that was because of the time of year. We upgraded to prestige, which meant that our room faced the pool/ocean, we had a little bit larger room, were able to access premium liquor everywhere on the resort and had free wifi for the week. All in all I wouldn't upgrade again as I felt it was a waste of money, but the resort was still good. I'll break down this review to make it easier.

ROOMS:
Rooms are clean and well kept. AC in ours was POWERFUL so we had to turn it down on the second day. Balcony is lovely, free mini bar was great. My boyfriend liked the peanuts they stocked the mini bar with so he put 2 bucks on the snack shelf before we left in the morning and when we got back there was about seven packages of the nuts he liked. Bathroom was nice and spacious, although the bed was a little bit too hard. Funny, because we didn't think to make a complaint but randomly on our last day we came back and they had completely changed the mattress to a pillow top. Not exactly sure why, but would have enjoyed it if we knew to ask for a change earlier in the week. Our view was of the kids pool, which was fine but would have liked a nicer view since we paid for it. You can see the ocean from the balcony but it's not worth the upgrade.

POOLS
Since we went during high-school spring break (which we will NEVER do again) it was way too busy at the main pool and bar. We ended up coming to the colonial because it was the mid-range hotel and we wanted a nicer experience. We ended up not even using the main colonial pool and spent most of our time in the Caribe pool because it was nice and quiet and relaxing, and the Captain Morgan's grill was right beside it and open all day. Don't get me wrong, the main pool looked nice, but it was overrun with loud, obnoxious teenagers who were mostly there to drink. We kept to the Caribe pool and had a great time.

BEACH
This resort is huge, so it was a long walk from one end of the beach to the other. Like the pool we found the Caribe beach was much nicer and calmer. The sand was nice and soft and there wasn't much in the way of weeds. The colonial and tropical beach was rougher and there were lots of rocks. If you go all the way to the very end of the beach (caribe/beach side not palace) you will find that it's super quiet and almost seems like a different property entirely. Free water activities for anything without a motor (snorkel, kayak, etc).

GETTING CHAIRS
Most people say you have to get up at 5am to go put a towel on a chair. I think it you have a group of twenty that's true, but the two of us had no problems whatsoever finding shade or sun wherever we went. Sometimes you may needs to do a little bit of searching, but if you're really that lazy that you don't want to have to spend literally two minutes to find some empty chairs then this resort is not for you, as it is very large and there's a good amount of walking.

WALKING
I've been to larger properties where the lobby is ten minutes from the beach, so compared to those resorts I found this fine in terms of walking to and from wherever you're going. It's a normal amount of walking. Most of the stuff is fairly central, the lobby and main pool and beach are 2 minutes within reach of each other. If you're staying in colonial and decide to go to the farthest end of the beach or the caribe pool or something then yeah you'll have to do more walking than the normal person, but it's really nothing to be scared of. With three meals a day that walking is always a welcome way to burn off all the awesome food.

FOOD
The buffet was great. We've been to Paradisus Punta Cana twice and thought it was the best food at a resort but we thought the food here was even better. The buffet has a HUGE selection. Lots of fruit and veggies for the healthy eater, lots of meat for the meat lovers and a good amount of deep fried food if you're nervous about foods in a foreign country. I never had any stomach problems, and thought the food was great. We only went to two a la cartes even thought we could go to five. We found that we made our reservations too early and didn't want to leave the pool so we skipped two of the ones we booked. The Mexican was great but it's probably not the type of mexican food you're expecting. There are no enchiladas or tacos, it's an authentic mexican restaurant which means lots of meat and fish. The Italian restaurant was also good but nothing spectacular. I've had much better Italian at other resorts. We heard the steakhouse and Japanese were really good but didn't get the chance to go.

OTHER STUFF
Drinks are as strong or as weak as you want them to be. Make sure you're tipping your servers at the pool bars as they work hard and are able to go above and beyond for you if you treat them right. We didn't go to any shows except the circus one. Found that they were too late and we wanted to get up early to enjoy the full day. Although if you're an early sleeper make sure to ask for a room farther away from the theatre as it is pretty loud. Staff are very nice and willing to help you out whenever possible. If you're coming with a tour operator make sure that when you exit the airport you look for someone with your tour operators logo on their shirt to get to your bus. There are a lot of people pretending to be with a tour operator who will not take you to your resort and are there to sell you timeshares.

My biggest tip to travelers looking to come here? Book at the Beach and Caribe section. You will save money and that hotel is actually NEWER. Colonial was great but just not worth the money if you can save yourself some cash and get the same experience.

Room Tip: Early sleeper? Ask for a room farther away from the theatre. Ocean view rooms are not really ocean v...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank esseh k
Dear Shelly K.

Thank You very much for your comments and we are placed that You enjoy this resort, it is true that the resort is very large and there will always be a place for everyone with a variety of food, drinks the best selection and entertainment.
We hope that this will not be the las time to give us the opportunity to serve You again. Just as a comment if You decide to book in Beach or Caribe Hotel, You may not use the facilities in Colonial and Tropical and their options decrease, so please give us the opportunity once again to provide a wonderful vacation for You.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

So my Aunt and I booked a room at the Barcelo Maya Colonial on March the 18th and stayed from the 28th to the 4th of April. I had read some of the reviews about this particular resort on TripAdvisor and figured the average score to be about 3.5 - 4. Good enough for me.
We arrived on the 28th after 9 am and were shuttled by a coach bus that welcomed us with ice cold beer. The weather was pleasant, the sun high above, and not a cloud in the sky. I was BEAMING. This was a nice reprieve from 'the winter that would never end'.

Now the following seems to be a running theme with the Barcelo Maya - upon check-in, we were notified that there were no rooms available in the Colonial (for which we were booked) and that our room would be in the Tropical. The ole' bait n' switch, me thinks... Hence the 4 stars.

We moaned and groaned over this bad news, but they promised us that the rooms were virtually the same (two double beds, balcony, fridge, safe etc). Whether or not this is true, I don't know. But I DO know that it was quite a walk from where we were to the beach. However, we arranged with reception to check back for a room at the Colonial, because that's where we wanted to be, gosh darn it. (We never did check back though, because our room at the Tropical WAS quite nice and very clean and orderly, with complimentary tequila, bathrobes and slippers [which came in handy], and a wide assortment of toiletries [we had the prestige package]).
Anyhow, one of the staff was kind enough to drive us in one of those carts to our room. We tipped him of course. We were greeted by a blast of AC when we opened the door and it felt GREAT (it was already humid and HOT though it wasn't even noon yet). We immediately changed our clothes and set about exploring the hotel.

The grounds are REALLY expansive, but we located the main buffet no problem, and then headed over to the beach. The walkways are mostly covered, by the way, which is great for the very hot afternoons. We marvelled at the flora and fauna. The grounds are ALWAYS immaculately manicured. Not a thing out of place. We also found the little market which sells leather goods and other trinkets at amazing mark-up, lol, and had a few cocktails before making dinner reservations.

Another perk with the prestige package is guaranteed dinner reservations. The first night my Aunt and I ate at The Lindo, which is a fancy Mexican restaurant. There are no tacos or burritos on the menu here. Very tasty though. We bought a bottle of wine recommended by the server, though I can't tell the difference between the house wine (which is free) and the purchased one.
We also ate at the Santa Fe (the steak house, which was okay), Capri (the Italian restaurant which was very good), Kyoto (which was my favorite - it's teppanyaki style) and we also paid the $5US each to eat at the buffet at the Palace (we chose the Mexican buffet, which was the most authentic Mexican food we had while on the resort). The regular buffets were REALLY good with a wide assortment of options, with the omelette station being a popular feature. Our server Noah remembered my Aunt and I by our names and was always so gracious and friendly when we arrived. That was another thing I appreciated - the staff doesn't make you feel obligated to tip them. We tipped every time of course, because good service requires tipping.
Once we ventured over to the buffet at the Caribe and my Aunt became quite ill for the next couple days. :s

The beach is very well maintained, and we had no problem finding chairs everyday. There were plenty of Minnesotan youths, as we were there during spring break, but they were mostly well behaved. Whatever shenanigans were going on we were not privy to, which is just as well.
Just a side note - there's concrete under the sand and it's hard on the feet, so beware. The water is the perfect temperature though, and as blue as you could ever want it to be. The pool is of a good size, with a wet bar and the beach buffet right next to it (we only swam in the pool closest to the Colonial, since there were less teens there - they had pretty much claimed the other side).

You can buy day excursions through the concierge - we went to Chichen Itza, Tulum (amazing would be an understatement) and into Playa Del Carmen for some shopping (there are some REALLY nice shops down there, so if you're a shopaholic, be prepared to spend a couple hundred, otherwise it's perfect for some cheap trinkets).

The resort has a nightclub called Jaguar. That was the least fun I had on the entire trip since it was only teens and their chaperones there. We also checked out the "talent show", which is really just seasoned entertainers covering Elvis, Madonna, Whitney, The Village People etc, but entertaining all the same. We didn't get to do the mini golf (sad face) or to check out the cigar lounge. There are plenty of daily activities, but we missed all those in favour of the day trips and the beach.

PS: I almost forgot to mention what a good job the housekeeping staff did, though a few times we had to request face towels. That's my Aunt's fussiness, though, not mine, lol. We tipped them well at the end, though we would have liked to leave more but the budget wouldn't allow it.

I can't even begin to describe this hotel and how nice it is (especially the Palace!). In all fairness though, I really don't have too much to compare it to. I stayed at the Samsara in Negril, Jamaica which doesn't have a beach, but a CLIFF and terrible customer service (still one of the best trips I've been on though), and the Villa Cuba in Varadero, Cuba (the room had ants, but what a great time I had there too) and a couple Carnival cruises. Maybe I'm just easy to please, or maybe I pick and choose my battles carefully. I was just grateful to be alive and in the sun, sand and surf in the Mayan Riviera, basking in the warmth of the sun in the day, and marvelling at the stars and constellations at night.

Room Tip: When you're booking, request a room on the upper level. We did and got that much.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Fitzina S
Dear Fitzina S:

We are pleased that You enjoyed this resort, our main goal is satisfy all our customers´need and exceed their expectations.
Thank You very much for your preference and I really appereciate your comments, is good to hear that You enjoy our different a la carte restaurants , buffets, large pools an all variety of entertainment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!