“Family trip”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“Family trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at this resort from May 23-May 30, 2014. We (me, my husband, 2.5 year old son and 9 month old daughter) travelled with my in-laws and another couple with a 2.5 year old daughter. I should start by saying that we have been to 3 Gran Bahia resorts and we love that chain but wanted to try something different so my review may be a bit biased since in my mind I am always comparing to Gran Bahia.

Check-in wasn`t so bad. Line up wasn`t too long and they had lots of people serving. We got our rooms and confirmed that our room had a king size bed in it since we needed 2 cribs for the kids to fit in there. We get to the room and there are 2 double beds in there in addition to the 2 cribs requested. This made the room very tight. We spoke to reception and they told us that we cannot move that day as they had no rooms but promised a room for the next day. Not very convenient with 2 little ones. The next day they told us the room would be ready at 3. After breakfast we returned to the room to put on our bathing suits and reception called and said the room would be ready for noon instead. So we ended up staying in the room to put everything back in the bags and wait for someone to get our bags and move to the next room. Again, very inconvenient and by the time we were done the kids were hungry so we ended up going to lunch before the beach. So the second day we hardly had any beach time.

Beach and pool: Both were great! You can walk a little bit to Barceló Maya beach resort and the beach area there is quite nice. There are lots of chairs so you will never have to hunt one down like other resorts where people leave their towels on chairs all day. When there are waves at the beach I found them pretty strong making it hard to swim with kids so we would go to the pool instead. The pool at the Colonial resort is huge and has 2 bars. They also have an area for kids which my son absolutely loved! Kids can walk through the area with ease. But parents must supervise as some of the slides are pretty fast and sometimes the bigger kids come down without paying attention and can hit anyone in the way.

Service: For the most part, service was awful. The room change I mentioned above was not an easy task. During meals we constantly had to keep asking for service (for water, coffee, high chair, etc.). There is a desk at the front where you can ask about excursions. I asked about dolphinaris and the man there said there is no show to watch but we can sign up (for a fee of course) to participate in one of the programs. I believed him. I found out the next day that there is a show every day at 11:30AM! I was quite upset that he lied to me especially because my son was very excited to see the dolphins. The lobby bar service is awful. It takes quite a while for them to make a drink. And there was a guy there, who I think was still training, that didn't know how to make cappuccino, although I went there every single day after breakfast and requested it. So I would have to wait till someone else comes and he asks them to make it because he doesn`t know how. Overall, I just didn`t find the staff in direct contact with customers to be very friendly or accommodating. I will state though that Gilberto (a chief in the colonial buffet) was absolutely amazing! My 9 month old daughter always has yoghurt as a snack before bed and I had to request it (they have yoghurt for breakfast but not at dinner and my plan was to take one at breakfast and keep it in the fridge for dinner time but fridge wasn`t working and never got fixed even though we asked multiple times). After a few days of asking, Gilberto picked up on the routine and would bring me the yoghurt for my daughter. He was also very friendly and I chatted with him a few times. It was nice to see a staff member actually smile at you and help you.

Kids area: Excellent! The kids pool was great and well maintained. There was always a lifeguard there all the time. The Barcey kids club was also great. My son went there for 2 activities (I stayed with him as they require a parent to stay with anyone younger than 4 which is completely understandable). He really enjoyed both activities. I found the room to be very very clean. And they have a kids washroom inside with toilets and sinks specifically designed for children and they were clean all the time. There was one night where they had a kids party full of games, prizes and face painting. It was quite fun!

Food: We only did one A La Carte which was the seafood. The food was good but you wait around a lot to be seated and then to order and get your food. It was just not convenient with the kids so we went to the buffet the other 6 nights. They have theme nights for the dinner buffet (Mexican, Italian, seafood, etc). The seafood night was absolutely amazing! Breakfast and lunch were always the same. There wasn`t a lot of variety of food but the quality was definitely good. They have a small section in the corner for kids. The counters are lower there so kids can reach. However, they would only have 5-6 different items there and they don`t have any special plates for kids.

Entertainment: They do water aerobics that gets a lot of people participating which is fun. They also do like a dance lesson by the pool. They have animals that you can take pictures with (like a monkey, a lion and a bird). My son took a pic with the bird and they were quite patient with him until he was able to stay steady for the pic. They have a different show happening every night and my son would look forward to it. The shows are more for adults as it involves aerobics and dance but still appropriate and entertaining for kids to watch. They have a schedule up by the lobby with the activities they do during the day and they have another kids schedule up by the barcey club.

Housekeeping and rooms: Always missing something. So I would have to hunt them down because we`re missing a bath towel or they forgot to put face towels. Not fun with 2 little ones around. The crib mattresses aren`t even mattresses. They can`t be! They are so incredibly thin. They actually have the mattress then a folded towel on top and then the sheets! I`m sure it wasn`t comfortable for the kids. Our bed was not comfortable either. The pillows and mattress are ok but the covers were made of material that I can only describe as plastic.

Overall, we had a good trip. I wouldn`t mind trying the Barceló chain again but I would hope to see an improvement in their customer service.

Room Tip: We were in room 6651. My in laws were in 6650. And the other family we travelled with were in 6642...
3 Thank Nancy A
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip.
If you ever decide to come back and visit us it will be our pleasure to follow your requests: gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My only previous experience with an all-inclusive was a long weekend that my wife and I spent at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Jamaica several years ago. We had a lovely time on that trip, but we also paid top dollar. So, I wasn’t sure what to expect out of our week at the Barcelo Maya – particularly given that we paid significantly less for a week at Barcelo than we paid for a weekend at Sandals. I’m delighted to report, however, that we had a fabulous trip and were very pleased. I’ll break it down for you…

Check-in:
After reading other reviews, I expected check-in to be brutal. However, we sailed through the check-in process and were in our rooms in no time.

Rooms:
The rooms are perfectly fine. Ours was clean, well-maintained, plenty spacious and very comfortable. In addition, the A/C is terrific and very quiet. When we checked in one of the doors to our dresser was broken, but it was fixed by the time we came back to change for dinner. As others have reported, the bed was a bit hard. However, both my wife and I slept like babies the entire time. Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the theatre. The noise from the shows was fairly substantial. So, if you’re traveling with little ones, I’d definitely ask to be away from the theatre. Otherwise, it didn’t bother us a bit.

Staff:
Pretty much to a person, the staff was terrific, and we were thrilled with the service. It’s true that it’s a big resort and that it’s difficult to get to know the staff as perhaps you would at a smaller resort. However, I think you’ll find that, if you frequent the same spots, you’ll see the same bartenders and servers. We traveled with $100 in US $1 bills and left small tips for bartenders, servers, and housekeeping staff throughout the week. The housekeeping staff is separate from the folks that restock your mini-fridge. So, we left a note and a tip inside the fridge with what we wanted more of.

Beach:
The beach in front of the Colonial/Tropical is gorgeous with more than enough lounge chairs for everyone. The snorkeling right off the beach is terrific, and we saw lots of fish and even sea turtles right off the beach. There is also a school of ocean surgeonfish that live around the pier. So, there’s great snorkeling there as well.

Pools:
The pools are just in from the beach and are beautiful. We loved being able to go straight from the beach to the pool and vice versa. We also loved having hammocks and chairs to hang out in around the pool, and our favorite spot was the swim-up bar in the Tropical pool. Lots of friendly people and good times!

Food:
Both my wife and I eat primarily a plant-based (vegan) diet. So, it can be difficult for us when we travel. However, all of the buffets had lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and there was always plenty of good food for us to eat. One night we went over to the Palace and paid the $5 extra per person to eat that buffet. The food over there is definitely an upgrade. However, I’m not sure it’s worth the extra to stay over there. Of the ala carte restaurants, we liked the seafood restaurant and the Japanese restaurant the best. The service at the steakhouse was tremendous, but the food was not great. Our least favorite of the four was the Italian restaurant. Room service is not free at this resort, but we didn’t use it and didn’t care.

Drink:
First of all, the bad news… The house wines are beyond terrible. The red is almost drinkable if well-chilled, but you really have to want to drink wine to have it. The white is simply not drinkable. You can run up a bill quickly buying decent wine at restaurants, so we drank beer and mixed drinks instead. The other thing that wasn't very good was the coffee. It's not terrible, but it's just not very good. Now for the good news… The beer is cold and just fine. We had plenty of Corona, Modelo and Negro Modelo – all of which are perfect in the heat. Something we did not know is that, because we booked through Apple Vacations, we were entitled to all of the premium liquors that they had. So, all week we had top shelf rum, vodka, gin, tequila, etc. All we had to do was ask for it. At first bartenders just looked at our wrist bands (yellow for Apple Vacations) and then would give us what we asked for. Several days into the trip, though, they started asking us to sign for it. Even though they insisted it was free and that we were only signing for inventory control reasons, we were a bit concerned that we were actually being charged. Turns out, though, it was indeed all included but only because we booked with Apple Vacations. I think this is something to consider when choosing who to book through. The difference between Don Julio Resposado tequila and the tequila they pour out of the soft drink gun, for instance, is substantial!

Shows:
The shows that we saw weren’t just bad, they were tragic. We could have cared less, but if the quality of the shows are important to you, go somewhere else. We heard the shows at some of the other resorts are much better. There is a nightclub on the resort. We poked our head it one night but didn't stay. It was a little loud and a little younger crowd for us 40 somethings.

Excursions:
For the first 4 days we had gorgeous weather, and we were happy to just hang out at the beach and pool all day. However, we did walk across the street to Cenote Azul and had a lovely couple of hours over there for $6 US each. We’ve not been to a Cenote before, so I have nothing to compare it to. However, we thought it was fun, and it was a lot cheaper than excursions that left from the resort. The guy from the Apple Vacations desk told us Cenote Azul wasn’t nice, but I’m fairly convinced he was only telling us that so that we’d book an excursion with him. Other than the Cenote, the only other occasion we left the resort was to spend a late afternoon/early evening in Playa del Carmen ($3 per person via shuttle bus in front of the hotel or $20 taxi for 4 people). We had a very nice time walking along 5th Avenue, people watching, window shopping, and enjoying a couple of beers in one of the many indoor/outdoor restaurants. As it got dark, the offers to sell us drugs started increasing exponentially, so we headed back to the resort relatively early. I’m not sure how crazy it gets down there at night, but I wasn’t going to stick around to find out.

In sum, it was a great trip. Those aspect of the resort that are lacking (such as the shows) didn't bother us a bit, and the trip exceeded our expectations pretty much in every way.

Room Tip: If you have little ones, I'd suggest asking for a room far away from the theatre.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tiebee
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
weatherford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is the perfect place for families, Singles or groups of friends. Please remember i am a very active person. My point of view is of a person who does everything once and good things twice. Lets start with the Lomas travel transfer to hotel. This hotel is 1 hour from cancun airport. I would take a Lomas travel private shuttle to hotel with no stops. If you choose the normal Lomas travel shuttle it will stop and drop off other people before you reach Barcelo. This could take up to 2.5 hours. The hotel is Very nice in all aspects. There is no need to speak spanish. Check in was easy and fast. Had a room in less than 10 minutes of arrival. Rooms are similar to all other resorts of this caliber. I was in the Guanajuato building rooms 6418, 6457, 6458. The ac worked really good in all these rooms. Ive found it best to keep AC off when not in the room. Turn on AC when you get ready to go out for the evening. You wont have as much humidity in the room this way when you return to sleep. The food. All the food is Good. It will take you a few days to figure out what you like. I only had one ale cart, Kyoto. I feel like it was good if you are into this type of food. I felt like it was better than all the other Resorts ive been to. More than 20. The Pools were all in good shape. Water temp in the pool was about 78-82 with the warmer pool being in front of the Tropical side. I used the swim up bars daily and all got me three sheets in the wind quickly. I used the pool at the Barcelo maya beach complex also and had a ton of fun. (will stay over here next time). Kids water park looked great and i wanted to slide down the slides but my friends said i should not. The Beach. It is 4500'+ long. I have ranked it the very best for Snorkeling and swimming. You must find where to enter the water to avoid rocks. Not hard, light blue area are sand bottom enter in this area or take a walk south past the dive shop to a all sand beach with no rocks in front of the beach section. There are more beach chairs at this resort complex than any resort ive been to. While snorkeling we saw sting rays and box fish plus many other fish. Saw a hawksbill turtle close to the pier. Nightly entertainment. It is ok, not the best but worth a hour of your time. The sound system guy needs help with the sound and lighting. I feel like they have great equipment but lack the skill to make it sound right. They should hire me for a day to fix problem :) After the entertainment the Disco starts, around 10:30. Really nice dance club. Plays dance music along with some mexican and rap. Overall the club is fun and large enough to keep about 200 people happy. Sound system and lights were perfect. Great DJ kept the dance floor active. most people were dancing not standing around. I give the DJ a 10. We stayed from May 18-24th. Perfect weather. Had a few rain showers that never lasted more than 30 minutes. The property is very large so take walking or running shoes to go for long walks or take the new holland tractors to get around. Great way to see the whole place. Make sure to take at night also. Really like the Lobby bar with entertainers that play the piano and sing, nice and relaxing. Overall i really like this resort, they do a great job in all areas to me. I will return this year to have another great time.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best if you are in the room very little. if you want a great view get a third...
4 Thank Jason71

Savanna, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned yesterday after spending five days there with my daughter (age 22). Overall, we had a great time, but one thing bothered us enormously.

Front Desk: Check in was fine, but we didn't receive a welcome drink or a welcome greeting. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice, but spoke very broken English in a very hard-to-hear voice and did not explain much. Since our room wasn't ready (it was 3 p.m.), he did direct us to the buffet. It was nice to be able to eat right away as we were very hungry, and when we came back we booked our a la carte reservations and our excursions. We took our own bags to our room. Check out: went very quickly and easily, no problems. We carried our own bags down, and left them in the lobby while we ate breakfast and prepared to leave.

Grounds: Very gorgeous - these people work laboriously to groom and care for the property. The beach was gorgeous, although very rough and rocky. I loved walking along the ocean, but not getting into the water, since you never knew when you would step on a rock and hurt yourself. The pools were gorgeous, we never had a problem finding a chair or a hammock, and every day we made a new discovery of a service or activity.

Food and Liquor: The food was good, there was a huge selection at the buffets, although nothing spectacular. I especially liked the snack bars by the pool/beach, it was nice to just dash in there and get some refreshing fresh food while sitting by the water. The ceviche was awesome, I made a pig out of myself eating that. The desserts at the buffets were incredibly boring even from day one, but since I need to cut back on the sweets, that was probably a good thing! We were allowed two a la carte restaurants, we chose the Japanese and seafood, and were not disappointed. The a la cartes were good, but not outstanding. I had hoped that the a/c would be a little cooler in the restaurants, but at least it was not unpleasantly cold.

Room: Overall, the room was ok, but overall a little disappointing. The mattress was hard and uncomfortable, the "sofa" was uncomfortable, the tv was old and snowy(not a flat screen), and the a/c made a loud and aggravating noise in the ceiling when the fan was set to low. I did not ask for a topper for the mattress, although I should have. Our room was attended to daily and always clean and stocked. It was nice that they had dispensers of shampoo/conditioner/soap so you had enough for the entire week. Our room did not smell musty - we were in Jalisco, 2nd floor, #6247. It was not always easy to sleep as guests were loud, there were a lot of noises coming from other rooms next door, and the birds were even loud in the morning, but not much staff can do about that.

Staff: The staff was terrific! They were always smiling and friendly and working hard. Most of them spoke enough English to be easily understood, and we tried to speak as much Spanish as we could to bridge the gaps. Except for one bartender at the pool who seemed to be a very stoic individual (Roberto), we thought their staff was incredible.

Other: We liked the shopping area out front, that was a fun discovery one evening - we also enjoyed one of the shows with the Cuban music and dancers. We did not go to the disco and are not big drinkers, so the liquor was not important to us. After a few days of sugary drinks at the bar, we had enough of that anyway. We did not pay top dollar for a vacation, so we felt that we got what we paid for, and probably a bit more.

This was our first experience with an all-inclusive, as we usually stay in condos wherever we go. I would have to say that I would do it again, it's so nice to have all the food taken care of for you, and very nice to have everything paid for upfront so you don't have to worry about money or credit cards while you were gone. There was a lot of walking, but we liked the exercise since all we were doing was lying around and feeding our faces!

THE ONE BIG THING THAT UPSET US ENORMOUSLY: Five poor dolphins are housed in a tiny pool up by the beach. They sit looking out towards the ocean all day long when they are not putting on a show, going under water and coming back up for air. The water is clean like a human's swimming pool, and there is nothing for them to do...no other fish, no toys, no room to move around. We were not the only guests bothered by this.....just down the road at Puerto Aventuras, the dolphins have much more room to move around and they are in waters fed by the ocean with other creatures and seemingly more attention is paid to their stimulation and comfort. I would beg Barcelo to discontinue having dolphins there unless they can provide better "housing" for them, or at a minimum, don't keep FIVE dolphins in such a small space. It is cruel and sickening to watch those poor animals just sit in such a jail-like setting.
I enjoyed my stay except for the issue with the dolphins, and although it was a largely positive experience, will probably not go back to Barcelo for this reason. I would have rated them much better if not for the dolphin issue.

Room Tip: Choose 3rd floor and an end unit, and the Jalisco building is nice.
1 Thank Colleen K

St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Arrived in Cancun airport about one week ago along with thousands of other tourists! Found our shuttle easily, Lomas Travel, and after two stops, we were at the resort about one and three-fourths hours later! Long ride! Check-in was easy, fast, no lines. We had two rooms in the Jalisco building and the room requests we made were acknowledged. There was a very slight musty smell but I came prepared with Lysol so that helped. The property is quite large and there is a lot of walking but I thought it was still manageable. The beach is beautiful and the many palm trees provided ample shade. There is a free dolphin show daily at 11:30 and you can watch the private lessons which is fun! The food ranged from mediocre to good at the buffets and poolside bars to very good at the a la carte restaurants. Our favorites, the Japanese and the Italian ( the rack of lamb was amazing) were quite a treat. The shows were entertaining and Jaguars was a blast where we learned Latin line dancing! The service in general was very good and the Mexican people very kind and sweet. All in all, a very pleasant, relaxing week.

Room Tip: Jalisco building is in the center, there are elevators and did not appear to have any ocean view, ju...
1 Thank elainewaby
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I read many reviews about this property prior to visiting. I will outline the reviews I found to be absolutely correct.

Food: The buffets were adequate for all-inclusive resorts. They at least had different themes for different days of the week. Some theme nights were better than others but good across the board. We dined at the seafood restaurant and Kyoto, which many people raved about. First, we were told we could only dine at 2 of the restaurants based on our length of stay (5 days). The seafood restaurant was adequate. I had the grilled lobster which was good but the sides mediocre at best. The Japanese steakhouse (Kyoto)..the table show was great. I ordered the surf and turf (steak and lobster). The steak was a round, brown piece of meat that tasted nothing like steak and the lobster did not taste fresh.

Beach: Easy to find a place to relax under or next to a palm tree. The beach itself was rougher than I expected. I read about it being rocky but that was an understatement! Walking the water, I fell into a hole and gashed my knee on a huge rock. They were more like boulders in the water. Please use caution!

Pool: The pools were nice with great swim up bars. Negative: I sliced the bottom of my foot on a jagged tile in the pool and apparently, I wasn't the first nor the last. I watched EMS wrap the feet of 2 other people this happened to.

Staff: Everyone was very friendly and accommodating with the exception of some the front desk staff. It always seemed as if you were bothering them if you asked a question.

Entertainment: Piss poor (excuse the expression). I suggest you create your own entertainment if you stay here.

Gift shops: Bring your own sunblock and extra bottles of sunblock unless you want to spend $33 USD for a small bottle!

Also, I will most likely go back to adult only resorts after this. There was a lot of underage drinking by a group of teenage girls staying at this resort while their parents stayed at a different resort so they were not chaperoned, being loud and obnoxious at the pool, at the buffets, and one of the restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. Your recommendations have been analyzed with our Executive Chef and the Entertainment team;
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Melville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed and got married at the Barceló in February. We came with a group of 43, including 5 children. I have to say this resort is amazing. Bride and groom were treated like royalty....we were even upgraded to pool side room. Everyone in our group loved the resort and there was lots to do at the resort and in the area. Lillian our wedding coordinator was amazing!!! She handled everything!! The resort is big and we honestly didn't see a lot of it...one week is not long enough. My husband and I will absolutely be back! I would recommend this resort to anyone. I really don't know how people post bad reviews...don't believe them!

Room Tip: No matter where you are, you will walk....its either a far walk to the pool/beach, or a far walk to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial really appreciate your kindly comments. Lilian will be very happy to know you wrote your experience during your stay at this network.

We will be happy to host you the next time... may be for your anniversary?

Once again thank you!

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,000 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,560 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!