“Beautiful resort with lots of free activities but checking out process nightmare” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Colonial

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The grounds were clean and the scenery was absolutely beautiful, the room was very spacious and comfortable. Loved that were lots of free water activities and close to city. The number one thing that left bad impression was checking out, I never told by the store staff or front desk that I couldn't pay for my room bill with us funds at 5am in the morning. I was told system down could only take pesos or credit card. I had to fight with the front desk and was helped out by a very very nice bell boy to rectify the situation. The hotel needs to make it very clear that they don't take us funds at front desk during certain times. I found this to be very stressful and a major inconvenience , considering I had to leave in an hour to catch my flight, for this reason alone, I will never stay there again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angie W
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We regret the misunderstanding of information you had during your stay with us. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

Best regards
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Lets start with the Positive:
1. Beach, even though rocky entrance, at some parts of the beach, but overall pretty good, without big waves. Finding chairs-not a problem.
2. Grounds are well taken care of.
Now, the Negative:
1. Old rooms, with broken fixtures. Ants in the room. Old school AC.
Had to change rooms because the first one they took us in, had broken shower, hole in the wall and a heavy smell of cigarettes. 2nd room had broken bath drainage, dirty towels.
2. Room-Cleaning was absent yesterday, and poorly cleaned today. No shampoo/soap
3. Food is very average: some days poor, better other days.
It corresponds to poor management, that can't control the business. We stay in room 6640. It has a good access to all amenities.
Overall, a forgettable vacation, that could be spent with more pleasure somewhere else.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank 3pleC
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear guest,
We have followed your suggestions during your stay about towels, shampoo, soap, broken bath. We regret to know you are not having a pleasant time despite the effort of our staff. It will be a pleasure to attend you personally and avoid any bad impression you have taken from us.
Suwanee, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Checked into our "Ocean Front" rooms with very disappointing view from patio (see attached photo). No ocean anywhere in sight, just children's pool slides. Complained to concierge who told me there was no expectation of a view of the ocean from the "Ocean Front" rooms because they did not refer to them as "Ocean VIEW " just "Ocean FRONT." She informed me that all the Ocean Front rooms at the Barceló have either partially or totally obstructed views of the ocean, so switching us to a different Ocean Front room, even on the top floor, would likely not have much, if any, view of ocean.
I have vacationed in Mexico over 10 times and I have paid for many Ocean Front rooms, and they all had a beautiful view of the ocean. The hotel voucher I printed directly from the Barcelo website said nothing about a pool view, just "Ocean Front" room, and I showed this to the concierge. Wasted a ton of time arguing with her, then her supervisor, who finally moved us to garden view rooms and refunded the difference, which for 2 rooms for 5 nights was $1,100.00 USD difference. Had to move rooms again the next day because the bed configuration we requested was unavailable on first night (one king room for my husband and I, one double room for our daughters).
So 2 beautiful days were spent checking in, unpacking, repacking, checking out again X 3. By the time we finally got settled in the correct room it began pouring rain and rained for the next 3 days until we left. Wish we hadn't had to waste precious sunny hours in the lobby arguing and moving around from room to room.
Bugs: The first night we ate at the Japanese restaurant Kyoto. We noticed that the black tablecloth was crawling with tiny white bugs- a lot of them. We showed the waitress, she gasped and took us to another table, where there was a bug on the condiment tray that my daughter crushed with the soy sauce and we continued with our meal. I'm used to Mexico being buggy, but I've never had a dinner table absolutely crawling with tiny insects like this.
My daughter had to send her shrimp back because it was not properly deveined. They brought her a new dinner, still shrimp not all deveined. She gave up.
In fairness, everything I did not mention above was fine for the price of this resort- food, cleanliness, service, drinks, grounds are very nicely maintained.

Room Tip: Obviously don't pay for an Ocean Front room expecting to see the ocean. Also, since this is not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Denisev1
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear guest,
We regret you have had problems during your stay. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Best regards
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

After reading some of the reviews, we were a bit concerned, but everything turned our great. We were there for a wedding, traveling with a large group. It was our first trip with our toddler twins, and were worried about how they would handle everything. Also, our first all-inclusive.

Check In: a bit slow, and not very responsive at first. We asked for a ground floor room, near our friends with small childrens so we could spend time together when the littles went to bed. We're told to ask on Friday (arrived Wed), they didn't have anything. Ended up on the 2nd floor in different wings.

Rooms: We were in the Jalisco building, and our room wasn't anything special. It is so incredibly humid here, there was a bit of a worn and weathered look to everything. The AC worked great, though, and the bed was firm but comfy. They had 2 cribs waiting in the room for us. On Friday, they called to ask if we wanted to move together on the first floor, and very happy they did. The second room was fresher, looking like it had a facelift recently. Again, had our cribs waiting!

Pools: Wonderful! The pools are pretty and warm and clean. Have a great view onto the beach. The kiddie pool was incredible. The littles loved it, and this being their first real experience, they got over their fears quickly and loved the water.

Food: The buffet was nice, and the snack shacks were great. The bars were nice. We had 2 a la carte dinners, the steakhouse and Italian. Skip the Italian, the buffet food was better. The steakhouse exceeded our expectations. The private dinner for the wedding we attended was beautiful and food very good.

Service: This is where they shined. We had an outstanding waiter, Alberto, who was incredible. He remembered the boys and kept them in milk the entire time. He was so good about getting us tables together, getting highchairs, and making sure we all had a great time. He works so hard and didn't take a day off our entire stay, so I hope Barcelo knows what a wonderful employee they have in him. The other wait staff was very good and helpful. By the end, our boys started saying Hola!

All in all, it was a wonderful trip! So glad we did it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jasbds
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
It is great to know that all your party enjoyed their stay; also let us comment that Alberto and the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!
North Tonawanda, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The resort itself is beautiful. Kept up very well and very clean. Rooms were very nice and clean as well. The house keepers came to our room everyday as well as the people to restock minibar. I read reviews that they slacked in all of those and it was not true for us. The reviews about the food at the Buffett and snack bars unfortunately are true, poor quality of food. Wasn't very good. The drinks were also pretty watered down but if you asked for a double it helped. We went to the Japanese restaurant and were amazed, would've eaten there every night had it not been our second last before we tried it. Seafood restaurant was ok, better than Buffett but not as good as hibachi. Was disappointed we never really got anything explained to us and had to figure it out as we went along which was kind of a loss of time. Then got conflicting information as well, like how many nights we could eat at the restaurants and if we could drink at the palace. All in all great beautiful place but needs to be more informative.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear guest,
Your recommendations have been analyzed with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Management; We are sure that the staff will be very pleased to welcome you again.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've read reviews for months leading up to our vacation at Barcelo Colonial May 26th-June 2nd. My husband and I and sister and BIL met for a week of relaxation. It was our 4th all inclusive experience and their 1st. In fairness to this review we compared Barcelo to Iberostar resorts since we have stayed with them on our last 2 Mexican vacations. We decided in the end both resorts have positives and negatives but neither resorts are deal breakers. So here goes...
Check ins: We traveled via Apple vacations which include a transfer however I decided to purchase a private transfer from Canada transfers for 70.00 one way. Worth it! We arrived around 3pm and no one was in lobby. Made check in easy and was able to book all ala carts no problem.
Rooms: We were assigned to the Guanajauna (sp?) building rooms 6529 and 6523 both were king rooms facing theater on 2nd floor. Room was great. After reading reviews I was nervous but our room was clean smelled good and had nice white coverlet sand a flat screen tv. No complaints. In fact better than I expected and better than Iberostar rooms when we were last there. Location to theater was not a problem for us. Shows start at 9:30 and are over 10:30-11pm. In fact some nights I sat on balcony and could watch show from afar. Housekeeping was good and was nice that when we return from beach/pool room was made up and after dinner our room was turned down with little candies on pillow. Everyday. I remember iberostar was hit and miss in this department.
Beach: my husband was obsessed with snorkeling in front of hotel. We brought all our gear and he was excited! Unfortunatly, during our stay we had red flags everyday. He did attempt one day and did see lots a fish and he said it would have been great but conditions not right during out stay:( we did see a turtle swimming around while swimming one day in the ocean. Cool! For me, I thought the beach in front of tropical/colonial was beautiful but you did have to be careful for rocks which I already was aware of. They have tons of beach chairs so never an issue of finding one. However, they need to start replacing some. You would kinda have to look for one in working order. Not a big deal but wanted to mention. I have one complaint though....people are rude and have littered the sand with cigarette butts! Not hotels fault...but it completely grosses me out!!! Seriously, maybe it's just me but would have to look to make sure I wasn't sitting near someone's ashtray..ugh! Mornings there would be trash from last nights wedding parties and whatever...I just feel like Iberostar had the edge on the cleanliness of the beach. Also, yes the pool bar isn't very far however, it would have been cool to have a drink/snack hut available beach side...minor suggestion..again not deal breaker.
Pools: awesome, huge not cold, plenty of chairs, easy to find ones in shade or sun, and hammocks that rocked for an afternoon siesta;). Swim up bar at tropical was a hit! We luckily didn't experience any spring break crazy stuff thank goodness. Just clean fun. We participated in water aerobics which was fun. They offered water polo and morning stretching and a dance lesson in the afternoon. All at the pool if interested. They brought in a dress vendor selling cover ups everyday. Kinda funny we asked them if they would be back later in week and they said no! Yeah right!?, they returned everyday???lol???funny. Just some advice on swim up bar...if you order a drink while in pool and you don't specified how to make it you will get a sickening sweet drink with the crappiest alcohol. If you get out and walk around back of swim up bar, their they have better alcohol and simply just better service most times. Beer was mostly all can Modelo all week. Didn't bother use since those little plastic pool cups kinda gross me out but if you are going just to drink corona on tap something is going on with the distributor and they didn't have it most of the time. Speaking of liquor, we didn't not upgrade to premium package but was allowed premium liquor we just had to ask. We did sign little sheets but they assured us through week it was just for inventory. I didn't believe it but sure enough no charges at end of week! Once a sweet girl Janet at pool bar said its because we had Yellow apple vacation bracelets and not the blue bracelets? Don't know what tour company blue is but found it very interested?
As for bars throughout resort we visited them all in both colonial and tropical and they are nice and lobby bar is air conditioned with little snacks. But out night caps were spent in the little Havana bar with the sweetest girl named Gissol (sp?). Loved her...great service and very nice. Yes, it's a cigar bar but we just sat outside on their little patio. Pleasant and some nights they bring in a decent lounge singer. Ps...they have nice tequilas cognacs and ports;). Overall, drinks were good if you took the time to be very specific about your preferences and they seemed happy to do so.
Food: fine, some good some bad so get something else....never hungry. Ala carts hit and miss but good service....italian for us was terrible. Seafood/steak and Japanese better than we thought it would be. Girls in Japanese were so fun and we didn't sit at hibachi table.

Here are a few things that are just bad......
1st: THE WINE. If you are a die hard drinker of wine you can not come to this resort...period..house wine is not tolerable!! Seriously, the wine is disgusting!!! It taste like sparkling sprite but worse. Red...bad....only drinkable if extremely cold and you choke it down...just avoid. You can buy wine at 50.00plus dollars a bottle for 8.99 quality wine...nope! Not doing it!

2nd: Nightly Entertainment: ok, it's never fantastic but hey, everyone likes having something to do after dinner before bed. Barcelo has the Worst entertainment ever!!! Could not sit thru 5 minutes of any of the shows! Iberostar takes the cake on their evening shows and I missed the star friends. If shows are something you enjoy this resort is not for you!! We all agreed their isn't enough to do after dinner and not attending the hour long show. Some would say just boring. Which brings me to something to keep in mind. We had 2 days of straight rain before we left....There is nothing to do..period! Seriously, nothing but drinking in lobby. Keep this in mind. If the rain wasn't over the whole yucatan peninsula we would of headed into town or south to Tulum but not an option. It's rain everywhere:(

Also, I need to mention all 4 of us had montezumas revenge in some form. One in our party had a fever and couldn't leave the room. We had to sneak food outta buffet like bananas and bread to take to him. We took medicine with us thank goodness but we have never experienced this in our trips to Mexico and we were plagued with it starting the 2nd day! It should be noted the other couple are mostly Vegan and their diet consisted of mostly salads and fruit. So just saying be careful! His wife is still having trouble now that we are home.

Also, believe what they say about sunscreen you will need more than you think and it's even 30 usds in playa to purchase for cheap stuff!

We did take collecto one day to playa in evening and had great time. Took taxi home for 20.00.
Walked acrossed street one day to azul cenote which is 6.00 usd...small but nice and cheap.

In the end, we would return if price was right. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but I think you will enjoy your vacation if you have no expectations.

Feel free to msg me if additional questions

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hokietravel
Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your trip.
If you ever decide to come back and visit us it will be our pleasure to follow your requests: gtealojamientocol@barcelomaya.com
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at this resort from May 23-May 30, 2014. We (me, my husband, 2.5 year old son and 9 month old daughter) travelled with my in-laws and another couple with a 2.5 year old daughter. I should start by saying that we have been to 3 Gran Bahia resorts and we love that chain but wanted to try something different so my review may be a bit biased since in my mind I am always comparing to Gran Bahia.

Check-in wasn`t so bad. Line up wasn`t too long and they had lots of people serving. We got our rooms and confirmed that our room had a king size bed in it since we needed 2 cribs for the kids to fit in there. We get to the room and there are 2 double beds in there in addition to the 2 cribs requested. This made the room very tight. We spoke to reception and they told us that we cannot move that day as they had no rooms but promised a room for the next day. Not very convenient with 2 little ones. The next day they told us the room would be ready at 3. After breakfast we returned to the room to put on our bathing suits and reception called and said the room would be ready for noon instead. So we ended up staying in the room to put everything back in the bags and wait for someone to get our bags and move to the next room. Again, very inconvenient and by the time we were done the kids were hungry so we ended up going to lunch before the beach. So the second day we hardly had any beach time.

Beach and pool: Both were great! You can walk a little bit to Barceló Maya beach resort and the beach area there is quite nice. There are lots of chairs so you will never have to hunt one down like other resorts where people leave their towels on chairs all day. When there are waves at the beach I found them pretty strong making it hard to swim with kids so we would go to the pool instead. The pool at the Colonial resort is huge and has 2 bars. They also have an area for kids which my son absolutely loved! Kids can walk through the area with ease. But parents must supervise as some of the slides are pretty fast and sometimes the bigger kids come down without paying attention and can hit anyone in the way.

Service: For the most part, service was awful. The room change I mentioned above was not an easy task. During meals we constantly had to keep asking for service (for water, coffee, high chair, etc.). There is a desk at the front where you can ask about excursions. I asked about dolphinaris and the man there said there is no show to watch but we can sign up (for a fee of course) to participate in one of the programs. I believed him. I found out the next day that there is a show every day at 11:30AM! I was quite upset that he lied to me especially because my son was very excited to see the dolphins. The lobby bar service is awful. It takes quite a while for them to make a drink. And there was a guy there, who I think was still training, that didn't know how to make cappuccino, although I went there every single day after breakfast and requested it. So I would have to wait till someone else comes and he asks them to make it because he doesn`t know how. Overall, I just didn`t find the staff in direct contact with customers to be very friendly or accommodating. I will state though that Gilberto (a chief in the colonial buffet) was absolutely amazing! My 9 month old daughter always has yoghurt as a snack before bed and I had to request it (they have yoghurt for breakfast but not at dinner and my plan was to take one at breakfast and keep it in the fridge for dinner time but fridge wasn`t working and never got fixed even though we asked multiple times). After a few days of asking, Gilberto picked up on the routine and would bring me the yoghurt for my daughter. He was also very friendly and I chatted with him a few times. It was nice to see a staff member actually smile at you and help you.

Kids area: Excellent! The kids pool was great and well maintained. There was always a lifeguard there all the time. The Barcey kids club was also great. My son went there for 2 activities (I stayed with him as they require a parent to stay with anyone younger than 4 which is completely understandable). He really enjoyed both activities. I found the room to be very very clean. And they have a kids washroom inside with toilets and sinks specifically designed for children and they were clean all the time. There was one night where they had a kids party full of games, prizes and face painting. It was quite fun!

Food: We only did one A La Carte which was the seafood. The food was good but you wait around a lot to be seated and then to order and get your food. It was just not convenient with the kids so we went to the buffet the other 6 nights. They have theme nights for the dinner buffet (Mexican, Italian, seafood, etc). The seafood night was absolutely amazing! Breakfast and lunch were always the same. There wasn`t a lot of variety of food but the quality was definitely good. They have a small section in the corner for kids. The counters are lower there so kids can reach. However, they would only have 5-6 different items there and they don`t have any special plates for kids.

Entertainment: They do water aerobics that gets a lot of people participating which is fun. They also do like a dance lesson by the pool. They have animals that you can take pictures with (like a monkey, a lion and a bird). My son took a pic with the bird and they were quite patient with him until he was able to stay steady for the pic. They have a different show happening every night and my son would look forward to it. The shows are more for adults as it involves aerobics and dance but still appropriate and entertaining for kids to watch. They have a schedule up by the lobby with the activities they do during the day and they have another kids schedule up by the barcey club.

Housekeeping and rooms: Always missing something. So I would have to hunt them down because we`re missing a bath towel or they forgot to put face towels. Not fun with 2 little ones around. The crib mattresses aren`t even mattresses. They can`t be! They are so incredibly thin. They actually have the mattress then a folded towel on top and then the sheets! I`m sure it wasn`t comfortable for the kids. Our bed was not comfortable either. The pillows and mattress are ok but the covers were made of material that I can only describe as plastic.

Overall, we had a good trip. I wouldn`t mind trying the Barceló chain again but I would hope to see an improvement in their customer service.

Room Tip: We were in room 6651. My in laws were in 6650. And the other family we travelled with were in 6642...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,939 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,410 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!