“This is the place!!”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Des Moines
“This is the place!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We just got back from a week stay at the Barcelo Maya Colonial, and I want to go back!! We had the time of our lives. The rooms are very nice, with great views, the staff is top notch and very professional, and the beaches were the best! We ate, drank and got a lot of sun, just like we planned. Now lets get down to details...

Rooms: Just right. We got turn down service every night, and we never heard guest in the adjoining rooms. It was fun watching Mexican commercials on TV, but if you're looking to keep in touch with the USA from your room forget it. But that's not what you're there for right? Make sure you tip your housekeeping staff 20 pesos every day. They get their medical, dental and all of that deducted out of their paycheck, and at the end of the week they have almost nothing to take home, so your gratuity is what they live on, so they are VERY grateful to get a tip and it will show by the service you get.

Resort Grounds: The grounds are beautiful. Well maintained and they spent a fortune on landscaping. The buildings and facilities are well maintained. The pool is huge and the beach is raked every morning. We had no problem getting a chair either on the beach or by the pool, although the chairs closest to the bars were usually taken, but that was no problem, I will always walk a distance for cold cerveza!! We usually hit the beach after breakfast, then the pool in the afternoon. What's really kind of nice is that the sand is crushed limestone, so they never get hot.

Food: Now here's the skinny. When you check in, make sure the first thing you do is go to Customer Services and make reservations for all your dinners. There are 4 restaraunts to choose from plus the buffet. You have to have a reservation to eat at the restaraunts. We did buffet the first night. It was okay, they just prepare things differently down there, but by no means will you starve. The buffet for breakfast is your only option as well, but they have everything covered. We always had an omlet made to order. The Capri (Italian) was our least favorite. We ordered Sea Bass and it sucked. The salad bar wasn't really a salad bar, more like an antipasta bar with priscutto (sp) and a bunch of stuff I have never seen. The next evening we ate at the steak house. Now being from Iowa I'm used to some really good beef, so my expectations were not high, but it was okay. The salad bar here was also kind of strange, and the baked potato was not a russet, just a plain potato. We left with a full belly, so no complaints. Our third night was at the seafood place. Had the lobster and a bowl of bisque. My wife had the shrimp cocktail and everything was very good. Make sure you order Mayan Coffee!! It's like Irish Coffee, but wait until you see the presentation! It's pretty cool. The next evening we went to the Japanese Habachi Grill. This was our favorite and the most fun! Make sure you order the Surf-n-Turf. Our chef, Pedro was a real character. Our last night was spent dining at the Mexican restaraunt. Very nice, we didn't have to wear long pants and the atmosphere was very casual. A great ending to our culinary trip around the world. Again, don't hesitate to tip your waiter!!

Recreation: This place is geared for families, although my wife and I were sans kids. They have a great water park for the kids, plus a program called "Barkley" that gets them involved in a lot of fun things. For the adults, we saw vollyball, yoga, water aerobics, snorkeling, water polo, bocci ball...the list goes on. But if you just want to sit, get some sun and chill, the staff doesn't pressure you, although they work really hard at providing you fun things to do, so I suggest you try at least on activity, you won't regret it. One note, you will need to check out a couple of towels fro the week, if you don't return them they charge you 20 bucks...just an FYI.

Excersions: We pretty much wanted to just chill all week, but I love to snorkel. They have a number of desks around the corner from the lobby and they will help you with anything you would like to do. When I went to check out my snorkel gear (free for 1 hour with 50 dollar deposit) down on the beach, I set up a trip to snorkel a cenote. If you don't do anything else, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!! It was the highlight of my trip! It took most of the day, but we met some great people and Tobias our guide was a great guy! I'm telling you now. You have to go to a cenote (senotay), they're really cool!!!

Other than that, I was kind of surprised to find that we were an hour away from Cancun, so we never made it there. The place you want to go is 20 minutes away in Playa del Carmen. We walked up to the highway and for 20 peaso each, were able to catch a ride in a van to the city, (which was a trip) where we did some shopping, but mainly drank cerveza's and watched all the people. Didn't find many deals, but did manage to leave the town a little "greener" when we left. No one ever messed with us, but because there is so much competion for your dollar, they tend to try to get you in their store. Just be polite and say "no gracias". They usually back off.

Notes: At the hotel bar, make sure you visit Antonio at the Havana Salon. He's a great guy, and treats you like royalty. We always went there before dinner and had a couple of cocktails and listend to him sing along with the Frank Sinatra of Mexico...Jose Jose! What a blast!! The bar managers are great as well. I would like to mention Isidro and Rodrigo. They both make sure everything is ran smoothly and that you're happy. They also speak very good English and will answer any question you may have about the region or the best tequila's.

All in all, I can't wait to go back. We had the time of out lives and everyone at the resort was AWESOME!!!

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Food. But I'm spoiled and I deffinately didn't starve
7 Thank Thommy2000
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 4 October 2016
Dear Thommy:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Michigan
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I loved the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach. I should have posted my review sooner. It was a girls trip, and we all loved it. I was hesitant to book at the Barcelo due to some of the reviews, but I expect a lot from a hotel and was not let down by the Barcelo.

The resort is beautiful and very clean. The best part was the beach. It is huge and very private property. I did not realize the value of the private beach until a friend of mine told me about incessant pan handling on public beaches.

The drinks were always plentiful and a good tip to the bartender always provided super quick service. There are several shops at the resort and also a tour guide station which will help book trips to Chichen Itza, Xel Ha, etc.

The rooms were very spacious, but due to the humidity, it was always damp in the room. I have to blame that on Mother Nature, though. We did have to wait to check into our rooms. We spent the time viewing the flowers and chatting with the concierge and others.

You are provided a towel card to get beach towels. I recommend exchanging your beach towel on your return from the beach so that you do not have to fuss with the towel pick-up on the way to the pools (the fabulous, fabulous pools) or the beach.

If I had to search for something not-so-glowing to say, it would be that the theater is kind of cheesy. Wait -- it is very cheesy. I would also add that there are fewer children there during the week. The resort was kid-friendly, but they have so many activities for the children that you rarely see them outside of the kids pool and the activity zones. If that is your concern, just steer clear of those few areas. There are also people walking around with parrots, etc. They will charge you to take a picture with the parrot. That was the only "nickel and dime" feeling I had at the resort. The lobster at the seafood restaurant is a small portion. But order the Mayan Coffee. You will not be let down.

For my fit friends -- the gym there is phenomenal. It is in a giant Tiki type structure so there is a great cross breeze. The equipment is plentiful too. Two of us went all 6 days we were there. Our other friend did yoga a few times at a very picturesque area too. There are tons of fresh fruit and vegetable options at the restaurants.

• Liked — Private Beach
  • Disliked — Slow check-in
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank Take_Me_There_Too
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
UTAH
Reviewed 31 October 2008

The Barceló Maya Colonial Beach Resort is located about 45-minutes south of Cancun in the Mayan Riviera. We have stayed at this resort for the past three years and plan to do so again in 2009. It is a stunning seaside resort with beautiful grounds, exquisite architecture, evening entertainment and white sand beaches. As an all- inclusive resort, all meals and drinks are included in the price – and we find the quality and variety of foods to be exceptional. We prefer to go during the month of May – prices are a little lower than winter rates and the weather is moderate – hot but not overbearing. Be prepared for humidity; it’s simply a part of life in this region. May is ideal. The Barcelo has a series of resorts along the shoreline with the best beaches – a smooth coastline with gentle ocean currents as warm as an evening bath. It is also just minutes from Akumal, Tulum, Xcaret and Playa del Carmen. Cozumel, Coba and Chizenitza are readily accessible. If you enjoy diving or visiting fascinating Mayan ruins, the Mayan Riviera is the perfect getaway. Here are a few tips to make your vacation experience memorable:

 Make transportation arrangements from the Cancun Airport to the Barcelo Resorts in advance. When you pass through customs in the Cancun Airport keep walking right past all the nice people wanting to help you and go directly to your transportation vendor located outside. Otherwise, you will end up in a timeshare meeting before you know what hit you. They all have coupons that look enticing (especially to first-timers) but keep moving. Plan on an hour van ride from the airport to the Barcelo resorts.

 The lobby of the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort is stunning; airy and open with gorgeous tile floors, fountains and complimentary daiquiris. The beauty of an all-inclusive hotel is that there are no additional charges. There is a shopping area featuring jewelry, crafts, clothing, beach wear, etc. We have always made travel arrangements with www.cheapcaribbean.com, and have never had a problem.

 The Barcelo Maya Colonial is among the newer Barcelo resorts. Last year they opened the Mayan Palace – and it is beautiful. We think the beaches along the Colonial, however, are superior – fewer rocks, more of the white sand beach, and immediately adjacent to gorgeous swimming pools. As guests of the upscale Colonial, you may visit the restaurants and buffets of the other properties, excluding the Palace.

 There are buffets for every meal of the day. The presentation in the buffet area is quite lovely; carved fruits, made to order omelets, and a rich variety of healthy and decadent choices. There are also foods and snacks virtually all day long in the beach side cabanas.

 You also have access to several themed restaurants. The best are Mare Nostrum, Bali-Hai, and Capri – an Italian restaurant that is our favorite. Make reservations with the concierge when you check-in to make sure you get a reservation. These are very popular.

 The swimming pools at this resort are wonderful. Crystal clear water, fountains, play areas for children and even swim up bars. The white sand beaches and turquoise ocean are literally just a step away. There are numerous social activities for children and adults and evening entertainment that is worth watching.

 The Xcaret Water Park is nearby for snorkeling as is Akumal where sea turtles are plentiful. And of course you can snorkel right on the beaches of the Barcelo. There are lots of fish around the dock and in rocky areas; including sea turtles, sting rays and an occasional barracuda.

 There is a day spa, exercise area, Jacuzzi, and numerous water sport options. And if you just want to relax pool-side with a favorite book, life is good.

 The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff has always been courteous and eager to please. This experience is nothing like the Mexican border towns you may have visited. The Barcelo Maya Colonia is comparable to any high-end American resort.

 Make sure you have passports and sun block. You can always tell who is in the first or second day of their vacation by their lobster-red complexions over dinner.

We have enjoyed peaceful, relaxing time at the Barcelo and recommend it most highly.

• Liked — Beautiful bathrooms
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank WEDMAN

Blainville, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2008

This review is for our honeymoon. As well, let me point out that this is my first trip to an all-inclusive, so my expectations were few - all I wanted was time off with my new wife.
That being said, the trip was phenomenal. I'll try to give a chronological report of what we did, so that you get a sense of my review.

Left from Montreal on Oct.5th around noon, on Air Transat, economy. One thing I can say is that once we got to Cancún, Air Transat reps were in the bus to explain the basic things we needed to know to keep safe - don't drink the water out of the tap, be wary of people trying to sell you time-sharing condos (scam artists), and be careful with the sun, see your rep in the hotel. Very much appreciated.
At the Barceló, we chose the Colonial hotel - not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. Turned out the 2 cheapest of the 5 hotels in the complex were under renovation, but we didn't feel overbooked at all.
We ended up in room 6337, which faces another hotel - makes everything very quiet. You also have a very nice view for the whole day. Very speedy and polite service at the check-in desk in the Colonial lobby.
Took a few days to recuperate from the wedding, but the sea air, the sun, the quiet and the beach were more than enough to help us back on our feet. My wife had sinus congestion after being in the cold for the wedding day, she needed medecine to help her back. Although there is a 24/7 pharmacy and doctor on-site, I strongly suggest you buy your medecine in Playa Del Carmen, about 20 minutes from the hotel by Collectivó (city bus, 2-3$USD per ride). Sinutab is sold at 27$US in that pharmacy, Playa Del Carmen had it for 5$. At least, she got better much faster.
The marketplace at the hotel can have its upsides, though - I bought a box of 25 Monte Cristo #3 cigars in Playa Del Carmen - paid 300$USD. The girl at the cigar shop in the hotel would have sold it to me for 200$USD. Be advised, brush up on your negociating skills if you go to the village. Start negociating at 50% off the offered price, and go back up to about 20% off. if they won't do it, don't buy - it's not worth it. Stand your ground!

The beach is beautiful, but we did notice there was a lot of rocky deposits on the beach - this because of hurricanes and tropical storms undertowing the sand back to the sea. We were told that US ships were on their way soon to fix the beach, bring the sand back. We didn't need our "beach shoes" at all, so for us it worked out well - but we did see people walking up to the beach in crutches the next day. Be careful!

Service is absolutely amazing. At the buffet, hostesses take you to your seat, waiter comes and serves water, coffee, or anything you don't have on-hand (my wife asked for "banana mamas" almost every lunch hour, came very quick). The food is very diverse, fresh, and VERY tasty. Those who can only eat McDonald's, think about this because the food there is very good - it does, however, require a leap of faith, sometimes, and you could be quite surprised. The paella and the tortillas (omelettes) are especially delicious. They also accomodate low-fat diets (egg-white omelettes, or "tortilla sin yema" which is "without yolk", are available).
Also, the "à la carte" restaurants were very good. Everybody told us about the Bali-Hai (japanese/thai food), we went twice and would have gone again. Go to the japanese side - it's "habachi" cooking, where they cook the food on a grill in front of you. Totally worth it!
The Santa Fe (steak house) is also very good, I recommend the sausage and their Mixed Grill platter, where you get to taste many kinds of meats. Excellent service by Ivan, if you go ask for him!
Most waiters speak very rapidly. Knowledge of basic spanish is very useful, but they also speak english, and in some cases, french. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat - the staff is incredibly friendly.
We weren't leaving tips until the second week. They are included in the price of the stay, but that 15% gets divvied up between waiters, hostesses, AND management. With the wages they get paid, the best trick is to find one waiter you like, learn his name, tip him heavily (10-15$USD is good) and ask to be at a tabel he serves every day. At the end of your stay, give and extra 10, he'll be at your feet the whole time!

Rooms are kept very clean, they came in 4-5 times a day to change sheets, make the bed, open the bed for us (with little chocolates that we actually didn't like), refill the mini-fridge, change bathroom towels. We suggest using the "do not disturb" cards as much as possible. As well, if you,re on your honeymoon, leave passports, money, wallets, digital cameras, bills, and most importantly RINGS in the safe. One friend lost it at sea his first honeymoon day - you don't want it happening to you.
The pools at the hotel are really beautiful, even though they're not "infinity pools". The pool bar is great, although you may have a tough time getting a "real" piña colada; if you go to an outside bar, most drinks will be made from ready-made mixes. Even though they were great, I preferred the man-made PCs at the lobby bar.
We also saw a great kid pool, complete with water slides, and did notice they offer babysitting services, we thought that was a great thing for families going to the Barceló.
I also liked the energy saving policy - it shows they actually care about what they do. Water-saving toilets, reuse the towels... nice touch.

As far as excursions go - there are many places where you can go, we chose 4 out of the multitude that were offered. Going on a sea-doo/snorkeling excursion at Marina Maroma (about 40 minutes away but shuttle) was very fun. Our swim with dolphins at the Delphinus next to Xcaret was an amazing experience, however expect to get slammed by the picture/dvd prices - 219$USD for a DVD filled with pics and videos of other people was way too rich for my blood. However, an even better experience could be found by doing their "trainer-for-a-day" program in Cancún. It's a longer ride, a little more expensive, but instead of 45minutes with the dolphins you get 3½hours, plus the whole training before and after, and they GIVE you the picture. Much better package. I recommend going to Cancún for this.
Visiting Tulúm was beautiful, but we bought the guided tour - about 60$USD each. We later found out we could actually take the Collectivó for 3 bucks and pay the entry fee to the archeological site, which is 4.50. Bring a lunch, a hat, sunglasses, insect-repellent, sunscreen, wear shorts and a light shirt, and above all bring your camera and wear running shoes - not flip-flops or sandals. Excellent place to visit on your own.
As advised by our Air Transat rep, we also decided against going to the famous Chichén Itzá. Apparently, it's a 3hr ride there and back, and most of the things to see there haev now been commercialized. It's apparently a must, but we chose to go to Cobá instead. It's a smaller site, but less littered with markets and shops. Our guide for this trip was definitely a great idea, and we were able to visit the spectacular ruins, get a hand-made page of the mayan calendar (hieroglyphs show the date of our wedding), then got to eat an authentic mayan meal (cooked pork with "haxiote", a mayan spice)... and then got to meet real Mayas. They invited us into their homes and let us see who they were, how they lived. This was a very profound cultural experience for us, and we really think you should try to go there. One advice: listen to the guide - he is key in preserving the mayan culture, and is a great help to these people. An amazing cultural excursion, to be sure.
We also swam in a cenote at the end of our Cobá excursion, although we heard the "Rio Secreto" cenote was a better trip. Look into it.

Overall, our stay at the hotel had only one major problem - our whole time there we were in bed by 9pm, but people going to the Jaguár dance club (on-site) were coming back by 4am, making noise in the hall. The hallways are extremely echo-prone, so no matter where we were, we would have heard the noise, which woke us up about 7 out of the 13 nights there. But this is an unavoidable problem, unless security is posted at the entrance. It could possibly get worse during the high season, but we didn't complain about any of this, as we figured it was part of the deal.
One minor thing for me (the geek that I am) was that there was no in-room wireless internet access. They do however have that in the lobby and conference center, free of charge if you have your own laptop. It's pretty fast, too.

We were treated with about 7 days of pure sunshine, 3 days of rain between 2pm and 5pm only, and 3 days of full-on rain. This is during RAIN season. During our entire stay, it felt like high season, and we seldom met anyone on the trails and passageways of the hotel, which is enormous and very well decorated (especially the vegetation!)

Otherwise, our stay at the Barceló Maya Colonial hotel was an absolute dream. We both recommend this place to everyone. Honeymooners, families, friends, just go and see for yourself!

• Liked — Food and service, beach cleaned everyday
  • Disliked — Noisy hallways at night
7 Thank couzin2000

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Before I write my review - I should qualify it. Neither my husband nor I are a big fan of giant all-inclusives. So anyone reading this review should keep that in mind.

Rooms: Nice but nothing amazing. Staff does a good job of keeping them clean and the replenished mini-bar is a nice touch (though you may have to ask to have it replenished).

Grounds - lovely.

Pool and Beach - best thing about this place. The pool is truly beautiful and very well designed and there is a wide range of beach options. Swim up bar is nice. No beach drinks service which seemed odd given that this is often available at much smaller hotels.

Staff/Service: Generally quite friendly and willing to help out. We were there as part of a destination wedding, however, and from what i observed as just a guest - general service was rather slipshod for a variety of aspects of this event.

Food: Truly mediocre. We have vacationed numerous times on the maya riveria and I know there is great food to be had (fresh seafood cooked in regional styles, wonderful breakfasts etc.). The food here, however, was greasy and just lacking in quality. If you are looking for large quantities of mediocre americanized food, however, you will be quite happy. I will say that the salsa bar, when fully stocked, was a saving grace. We ate one night at the seafood restaurant. That was better than the buffet - but inconsistent. Grilled lobster and ceviche quite good (ceviche at buffets was terrible); two fish dinners were lacking. The main buffet for lunch is quite a step up from the snack bar buffets.

Website: Truly terrible and lacking in useful information. How a company this big gets away with such a poor website that conveys so little information is beyond me. Multiple guests at this wedding said they felt as though they couldn't easily find information they were looking for on this place.

What you should know: you can basically treat the Tropical and Colonial Beach as one hotel even though they are technically two hotels. They are completely connected by covered walkways and you can get to one another easily even when it is pouring with rain (but watch out for the slippery tiles). Not sure of the room differences. Maya beach and caribe hotels (also part of this giant resort complex) would require a very comfortable short hike on nice paths in good weather, but would be a bit far in heavy rain. They are currently under major rennovation (lobbies totall torn up and guests relocated to the other hotels).

• Liked — Pool and beach
  • Disliked — Food
4 Thank San Antonio member
Dear Guest:
On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.
Lisbon
Reviewed 25 October 2008

If there were any doubts of how fantastic this hotel is, we left some photos…

We had a wonderful time and we wish we could go there again! Everyone was very nice to us, everyone says a “hola, que tal?”, everyone has a smile every day.

The complex is pretty beautiful, the beach is the best (we visit many beaches around), the food was great and with variety (much better than baia principe, were we stayed last year), the rooms are clean, comfortable, well decorated and spacious.

Let the images show what we can’t describe!

2 Thank DanielFrancisco
Dear Guest:

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.
Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Just got back a couple of days ago. Stayed for 4 nights and 5 days, which was not enough. Our flight from dfw was great, plane was half empty. Return flight was fully booked. Arrived early and waited a about 30 minutes before our van left, luckily the other passengers were also going to barcelo so no stops. Check-in was smooth but had to wait till 3pm to get our room keys, went to the buffet as we were hungry and by the time we came back our room was ready.

Food - The buffets were good in my opinion. The changed up the menu on a daily basis but not the whole menu. The grill in the bufftes basically stayed the same,...burgers, steak, prime rib. Ate at the japanese restuarant - w/c was great, just like the ones we have at home, seafood reastuarant and thai were okay. Snacks bars were okay, but was on open area....mosquito's and birds were present. Service was spotty as the waiters had lots of tables assigned to them and would forget or not came back to a while. It really just depends who you get, if you get a great waiter w/c we had, got the drinks quickly, refilled it, got you what you wanted. We tried to get his tables most of the time if available and since he gave us good service I would leave a $2 tip. Almost nobody tipped, think I saw a couple once and they were americans. Most of the clientele are either europeans or canadians. The restaurants were quite a walk though, our rooms were by the pool ( great ) so we had maybe a 4-6 minute walk.

Hotel - I give it 3 /12 - 4 stars out of 5. Room was good, better than expected. I was big enough to have a sofa in it, bed was good not hard as some say. Room was kept clean, they usually came in the afternoon ( w/c was fine as we were on the beach or out) and sometimes come back at night to check if it needed cleaning again. Overall the resort was great and clean.

Beach - was nice, been and seen better beaches. I agree with some of the other reviews that the beaches by colonial, caribe and beach were better. Went for a dip once and stayed on the pool most of the time.

Pool - loved it, had it to ourselves from time to time as most people went to the beach. And no one seemed to use it at night except us, pool is open till 10 pm wished it was later than that. Pool bar was great, service was good.

Overall 4 our of 5 stars for this resort. Will be coming back in the future.

6 Thank TX0810

#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!