“Good Vacation”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Windsor, Canada
“Good Vacation”
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We were two couples looking for a little rest and relaxation and that is just what we found at the Barcelo Colonial. We had originally booked a stay at the Caribe through Apple Vacations but because of the renovations we were upgraded to the Colonial and were not disappointed.
It took a little over an hour to get from the airport to the resort but the ride was fine and the time passed quickly. Check-in was quick except that our rooms weren't ready until 4:00 pm and we arrived at 1:00 pm. So we went to the buffet for lunch and then took a walk through the massive resort. When we finally got our rooms one smelled of cigarettes and the other was musty. It took some persistence but the smoky room was changed and we were told that there were no other rooms available to exchange for the musty one and to check back in a few days. We never did, though. It wasn't worth the trouble to us. The bathrooms were nice, good water temp and pressure and the showers were lovely! Good air conditioning. Housekeeping was good, the rooms were always clean. The grounds are kept well and the whole place was exceptionally clean.
The weather was great the whole week! No rain! A few cloudy periods but we saw a LOT of sun!!!!!!
There didn't seem to be a lot of people staying at this resort while we were there. Maybe it just seemed that way because it is so BIG. It was never a problem finding seating at the buffets or at the pools or the beach. It seemed we had the pool to ourselves a lot of the time. It was tough to find shade on the beach, however, if you continually move your chairs to follow the shade from the trees then you'll be fine. The beach is beautiful but it is a bit rocky in spots so be careful. You can snorkel right off the beach and there is a place to snorkel by the dock to the right where the fish swim right up to you (bring some bread). There is a place to rent jet skis and parasail (which we did) but make sure you get all your time on the jet skis because we paid for half an hour and only got about 20 minutes. They have a lot of activities going on throughout the day so you should never get bored. Get a fake tattoo, paint some ceramics, play billiards and participate in the classes they offer.
The strawberry margaritas were yummy!!!!!!!! The service at the bars is okay. Service at the buffets, not so much. The mariachi grill by the beach is a great place to get some lunch and self-serve ice cream. It doubles as the Mexican a la carte restaurant at night which was not very impressive. The Italian was good and the Thai/Japanese was the best. We recommend the Japanese as they put on quite a production when preparing the meal. My advice, take advantage of the a la carte options as the buffets were less than stellar. This was the one disappointment for me. There wasn't much selection and little variation even though they claim to have 'theme' nights. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the food either. But that's just my opinion........to each their own, right?
The theater offered a show every night at 9:30. The performances were alright, it was entertainment. It does get cool at night so you may want to bring a sweater if you are one to get cold. And beware the mosquitos. They come out early. Also, there are bats flying between the two rooming complexes at this resort so if you're walkig from one to the other........duck!!! lol
There is a shopping plaza right in front of the resort where you can get just about anything. Be sure to see the vendors in the center as they often will have better prices for you.
We went on an excursion, Tulum Xtreme, where you zip-line, rappel down a tower and swim in a cenote (which was FREEZING!!) They give you lunch and then take you to see some ruins. It's a good way to spend a day and the tour guides are good. You also have time to explore and shop on your own. I recommend this tour.
All in all it was a pretty good vacation. Of course there are always little things to complain about but if you go with an open mind you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed November 2008
2 Thank snowflake74
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 4 October 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2008

This is our second trip to the Barcelo, and this time it did not dissapoint.

Sadly, it will be our last trip due to the 'swim with dolphins attraction' due to open sometime next year that we will not support...thats a whole other story though.

Besides excellent snorkeling, the food was fantastic, the service was great and the scenery was beautiful..simply put, the Barcelo is eye candy.

I have always thought that they should have palapas on the beach, that is the only downfall for me as far as the beach goes.

There were some reno's happening during our stay, but it was never a bother, the resort is so huge that you can very easily get away from noise etc..

Overall a most excellent trip, cant think of any one thing to complain about. The place is awesome.

• Liked — great beach and snorkeling, food, service
  • Disliked — no palapas on beach, dolphin swim attraction set to open in '09
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank hurricaneblues
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
MAINE
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Stayed at the Barcelo November 7th thru the 11th. Definately would recommend to a friend and would gladly return for a longer stay.

Arrangements: Thru JetBlue

Travel to Hotel:
Yup, its about 40-50 minutes from the airport

Room:
NIce as pictured. Clean, modern, AC and Fan all good. We tipped the maid $3US each day. The robe and slippers provided were nice. The beer in the room was Modesto and not very good. Plenty of soda for the kids.

Pools:
Awesome. Really big, plenty of chairs. Hammocks are really cool.

Beach:
Well maintained. Parts are rocky. Watch your step. We prepared our kids that they may see topless ladies. There wasn't a single one. If you walk to the Palace end of the beach, there's a good chance you'll see turtles.

Snorkel:
Just signed out snorkel gear for 1 hour. Tons of fish to see right off the boat dock.. Bring a banana and the fish will eat out of your hand.

Medical Care:
Yikes. My son stepped on a sea urchin and got 5 spines in his foot. The Lifeguard drove him (in a golf cart) to onsite Doctor. She was very nice. She didn't speak much english though. Cost $75 US for the Doctor and $50 US for pain meds and anti-biotics. Here's a tip. If you purchased travel insurance (vacation protection) you can submit the bill and get re-imbursed for all but a $50 deductible.

Animation:
Lots of fun. Ivan was our favorite. The girls enjoyed the salsa lessons and pool areobics. If you win at darts you get a free Henna tatoo (it can start with that... see below)

Buffet Restaurant:
We had plenty to chose from. The food was really good. The mexican night had some extra special dishes. Service was average in the buffet. I always had to ask for coffee refills.

Japan Restaurant:
This was big fun. The chef was VERY entertaining. The food was fabulous. A must do.

Italian Restaurant:
Another hit. Service and food was great. Make sure you get the Mayan Coffee. They make a big production out of it like "flaming cherries jubillee".

Bars:
I'll lump them in together. I'm a beer guy and easy to please. The house beer is Corona. They also have a Corona dark which I liked alot. Bacardi is the house rum and obviously there were a few types of tequilla to choose from.

Henna Tatoo:
I have to mention this because the guy who does this is an absolute artist. I recommend negotiating up front. He draws on each tatoo by hand. The whole family got one he was so good at it.

General Staff comments:
One time I asked for a dark beer and that particular bar was out and the bartender walked over into the restaurant and brought me back one! A bell captain named Artero overheard I was celebrating my birthday and he sought me out and presented me with a bottle to enjoy.

• Liked — 2 Mile private beach and VERY Large Pools
  • Disliked — I have no complaints at all
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank BUZZBEER
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 2 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

Barceló Maya Colonial
Boston
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We had originally booked our trip in July at the Dreams Cancun Resort (had enjoyed our stay there in September of 2007), but my father in law passed away suddenly and we had to postpone the trip. Had no problems with the airlines, but Dreams would not rebook us unless we agreed to pay a higher rate. It was no longer considered "hurricane" season in November. So, we looked further south in the Mayan Riviera area. Decided to give Barcelo's a try. We booked at the Caribe Beach - one of the five hotels in their complex -, but learned that it was not open upon our arrival. We were upgraded to the Colonial - and were we glad! This hotel is mucho impressive! From the moment you arrive and they offer you champagne and hot towels, until the minute you leave, you are treated with the utmost courtesy and class. Dreams was nice (loved the dolphins), but this hotel is far superior in food, entertainment, location (the hour ride from the airport on a shuttle is not that bad). The Delphinus dolphin swim is nearby, as well as Tulum Mayan Ruins, and Xcaret Park,- the Mayan Disney. The architecture reminds us Old Spain. They have a great little shopping plaza - you do not need to go to Playa del Carmen to shop. In fact, we regretted the round trip taxi fare going into the town. The shopkeepers were like sharks that you had to keep beating off! We had on braceelts that you have to wear to stay at the resort - and unfortunately you were "marked" as resort people. You absolutely do not have to leave the resort to have a good time. This being our third trip to Cancun, we did not go on any of the tours. But by all means do the Dolphin Swim, hike to Chichenitza, or tour the nearby Tulum ruins, or Xcaret. My husband and I would have done the zipline canopy tour, if we were 30 years younger! Had a great time and will return to this resort next fall - for our 40th anniversary.

• Liked — Classy and upsacle without the snobbery
  • Disliked — 60 minutes from airport
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wpsarge1942
Dear Guest,

Best Regards.

Barceló Maya Colonial
Des Moines
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We just got back from a week stay at the Barcelo Maya Colonial, and I want to go back!! We had the time of our lives. The rooms are very nice, with great views, the staff is top notch and very professional, and the beaches were the best! We ate, drank and got a lot of sun, just like we planned. Now lets get down to details...

Rooms: Just right. We got turn down service every night, and we never heard guest in the adjoining rooms. It was fun watching Mexican commercials on TV, but if you're looking to keep in touch with the USA from your room forget it. But that's not what you're there for right? Make sure you tip your housekeeping staff 20 pesos every day. They get their medical, dental and all of that deducted out of their paycheck, and at the end of the week they have almost nothing to take home, so your gratuity is what they live on, so they are VERY grateful to get a tip and it will show by the service you get.

Resort Grounds: The grounds are beautiful. Well maintained and they spent a fortune on landscaping. The buildings and facilities are well maintained. The pool is huge and the beach is raked every morning. We had no problem getting a chair either on the beach or by the pool, although the chairs closest to the bars were usually taken, but that was no problem, I will always walk a distance for cold cerveza!! We usually hit the beach after breakfast, then the pool in the afternoon. What's really kind of nice is that the sand is crushed limestone, so they never get hot.

Food: Now here's the skinny. When you check in, make sure the first thing you do is go to Customer Services and make reservations for all your dinners. There are 4 restaraunts to choose from plus the buffet. You have to have a reservation to eat at the restaraunts. We did buffet the first night. It was okay, they just prepare things differently down there, but by no means will you starve. The buffet for breakfast is your only option as well, but they have everything covered. We always had an omlet made to order. The Capri (Italian) was our least favorite. We ordered Sea Bass and it sucked. The salad bar wasn't really a salad bar, more like an antipasta bar with priscutto (sp) and a bunch of stuff I have never seen. The next evening we ate at the steak house. Now being from Iowa I'm used to some really good beef, so my expectations were not high, but it was okay. The salad bar here was also kind of strange, and the baked potato was not a russet, just a plain potato. We left with a full belly, so no complaints. Our third night was at the seafood place. Had the lobster and a bowl of bisque. My wife had the shrimp cocktail and everything was very good. Make sure you order Mayan Coffee!! It's like Irish Coffee, but wait until you see the presentation! It's pretty cool. The next evening we went to the Japanese Habachi Grill. This was our favorite and the most fun! Make sure you order the Surf-n-Turf. Our chef, Pedro was a real character. Our last night was spent dining at the Mexican restaraunt. Very nice, we didn't have to wear long pants and the atmosphere was very casual. A great ending to our culinary trip around the world. Again, don't hesitate to tip your waiter!!

Recreation: This place is geared for families, although my wife and I were sans kids. They have a great water park for the kids, plus a program called "Barkley" that gets them involved in a lot of fun things. For the adults, we saw vollyball, yoga, water aerobics, snorkeling, water polo, bocci ball...the list goes on. But if you just want to sit, get some sun and chill, the staff doesn't pressure you, although they work really hard at providing you fun things to do, so I suggest you try at least on activity, you won't regret it. One note, you will need to check out a couple of towels fro the week, if you don't return them they charge you 20 bucks...just an FYI.

Excersions: We pretty much wanted to just chill all week, but I love to snorkel. They have a number of desks around the corner from the lobby and they will help you with anything you would like to do. When I went to check out my snorkel gear (free for 1 hour with 50 dollar deposit) down on the beach, I set up a trip to snorkel a cenote. If you don't do anything else, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!! It was the highlight of my trip! It took most of the day, but we met some great people and Tobias our guide was a great guy! I'm telling you now. You have to go to a cenote (senotay), they're really cool!!!

Other than that, I was kind of surprised to find that we were an hour away from Cancun, so we never made it there. The place you want to go is 20 minutes away in Playa del Carmen. We walked up to the highway and for 20 peaso each, were able to catch a ride in a van to the city, (which was a trip) where we did some shopping, but mainly drank cerveza's and watched all the people. Didn't find many deals, but did manage to leave the town a little "greener" when we left. No one ever messed with us, but because there is so much competion for your dollar, they tend to try to get you in their store. Just be polite and say "no gracias". They usually back off.

Notes: At the hotel bar, make sure you visit Antonio at the Havana Salon. He's a great guy, and treats you like royalty. We always went there before dinner and had a couple of cocktails and listend to him sing along with the Frank Sinatra of Mexico...Jose Jose! What a blast!! The bar managers are great as well. I would like to mention Isidro and Rodrigo. They both make sure everything is ran smoothly and that you're happy. They also speak very good English and will answer any question you may have about the region or the best tequila's.

All in all, I can't wait to go back. We had the time of out lives and everyone at the resort was AWESOME!!!

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Food. But I'm spoiled and I deffinately didn't starve
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Thommy2000
Dear Thommy:

Michigan
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I loved the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach. I should have posted my review sooner. It was a girls trip, and we all loved it. I was hesitant to book at the Barcelo due to some of the reviews, but I expect a lot from a hotel and was not let down by the Barcelo.

The resort is beautiful and very clean. The best part was the beach. It is huge and very private property. I did not realize the value of the private beach until a friend of mine told me about incessant pan handling on public beaches.

The drinks were always plentiful and a good tip to the bartender always provided super quick service. There are several shops at the resort and also a tour guide station which will help book trips to Chichen Itza, Xel Ha, etc.

The rooms were very spacious, but due to the humidity, it was always damp in the room. I have to blame that on Mother Nature, though. We did have to wait to check into our rooms. We spent the time viewing the flowers and chatting with the concierge and others.

You are provided a towel card to get beach towels. I recommend exchanging your beach towel on your return from the beach so that you do not have to fuss with the towel pick-up on the way to the pools (the fabulous, fabulous pools) or the beach.

If I had to search for something not-so-glowing to say, it would be that the theater is kind of cheesy. Wait -- it is very cheesy. I would also add that there are fewer children there during the week. The resort was kid-friendly, but they have so many activities for the children that you rarely see them outside of the kids pool and the activity zones. If that is your concern, just steer clear of those few areas. There are also people walking around with parrots, etc. They will charge you to take a picture with the parrot. That was the only "nickel and dime" feeling I had at the resort. The lobster at the seafood restaurant is a small portion. But order the Mayan Coffee. You will not be let down.

For my fit friends -- the gym there is phenomenal. It is in a giant Tiki type structure so there is a great cross breeze. The equipment is plentiful too. Two of us went all 6 days we were there. Our other friend did yoga a few times at a very picturesque area too. There are tons of fresh fruit and vegetable options at the restaurants.

• Liked — Private Beach
  • Disliked — Slow check-in
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank Take_Me_There_Too

Best Regards,
UTAH
Reviewed 31 October 2008

The Barceló Maya Colonial Beach Resort is located about 45-minutes south of Cancun in the Mayan Riviera. We have stayed at this resort for the past three years and plan to do so again in 2009. It is a stunning seaside resort with beautiful grounds, exquisite architecture, evening entertainment and white sand beaches. As an all- inclusive resort, all meals and drinks are included in the price – and we find the quality and variety of foods to be exceptional. We prefer to go during the month of May – prices are a little lower than winter rates and the weather is moderate – hot but not overbearing. Be prepared for humidity; it’s simply a part of life in this region. May is ideal. The Barcelo has a series of resorts along the shoreline with the best beaches – a smooth coastline with gentle ocean currents as warm as an evening bath. It is also just minutes from Akumal, Tulum, Xcaret and Playa del Carmen. Cozumel, Coba and Chizenitza are readily accessible. If you enjoy diving or visiting fascinating Mayan ruins, the Mayan Riviera is the perfect getaway. Here are a few tips to make your vacation experience memorable:

 Make transportation arrangements from the Cancun Airport to the Barcelo Resorts in advance. When you pass through customs in the Cancun Airport keep walking right past all the nice people wanting to help you and go directly to your transportation vendor located outside. Otherwise, you will end up in a timeshare meeting before you know what hit you. They all have coupons that look enticing (especially to first-timers) but keep moving. Plan on an hour van ride from the airport to the Barcelo resorts.

 The lobby of the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort is stunning; airy and open with gorgeous tile floors, fountains and complimentary daiquiris. The beauty of an all-inclusive hotel is that there are no additional charges. There is a shopping area featuring jewelry, crafts, clothing, beach wear, etc. We have always made travel arrangements with www.cheapcaribbean.com, and have never had a problem.

 The Barcelo Maya Colonial is among the newer Barcelo resorts. Last year they opened the Mayan Palace – and it is beautiful. We think the beaches along the Colonial, however, are superior – fewer rocks, more of the white sand beach, and immediately adjacent to gorgeous swimming pools. As guests of the upscale Colonial, you may visit the restaurants and buffets of the other properties, excluding the Palace.

 There are buffets for every meal of the day. The presentation in the buffet area is quite lovely; carved fruits, made to order omelets, and a rich variety of healthy and decadent choices. There are also foods and snacks virtually all day long in the beach side cabanas.

 You also have access to several themed restaurants. The best are Mare Nostrum, Bali-Hai, and Capri – an Italian restaurant that is our favorite. Make reservations with the concierge when you check-in to make sure you get a reservation. These are very popular.

 The swimming pools at this resort are wonderful. Crystal clear water, fountains, play areas for children and even swim up bars. The white sand beaches and turquoise ocean are literally just a step away. There are numerous social activities for children and adults and evening entertainment that is worth watching.

 The Xcaret Water Park is nearby for snorkeling as is Akumal where sea turtles are plentiful. And of course you can snorkel right on the beaches of the Barcelo. There are lots of fish around the dock and in rocky areas; including sea turtles, sting rays and an occasional barracuda.

 There is a day spa, exercise area, Jacuzzi, and numerous water sport options. And if you just want to relax pool-side with a favorite book, life is good.

 The rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff has always been courteous and eager to please. This experience is nothing like the Mexican border towns you may have visited. The Barcelo Maya Colonia is comparable to any high-end American resort.

 Make sure you have passports and sun block. You can always tell who is in the first or second day of their vacation by their lobster-red complexions over dinner.

We have enjoyed peaceful, relaxing time at the Barcelo and recommend it most highly.

• Liked — Beautiful bathrooms
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!